• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
Years
I've got a quick question. I've been planning some teams for future mono type runs and I was checking the hack exception rules for Dragon typing and Soul Silver/Heart Gold doesn't get a hack exception. Am I overlooking an obvious Dragon Pokémon you can get before second gym? Because I thought the first ones you'd be able to get were Horsea (Whirl Islands), which would evolve into Kingdra either trading it or hacking the evo, and Dratini (Dragon's Den). I was just wondering cause I like to follow the rules and all :)

You can get a Dratini for the Goldenrod City Game Corner, but that's after the second gym so I assume you would be allowed to hack a mon in. The rule in the old thread used to be "A Pokemon of your type should be caught before challenging the 3rd gym", I guess it just never got updated since the change.

Years
  • Age 22
  • USA
  • Seen Jul 25, 2015
Username: JeraldTheZubat
Type: Poison
Challenge Mode: Single
Games: Fire Red
Previous Progress?: Yes

FIRE RED POISON MONOTYPE SINGLE RUN UPDATE 1:

Okay this is going to be a huge update since I started my run nearly a week ago.

-Chose 'Red' as my name, 'Blue' as my rivals
-Chose Bulbasaur and named it Bulba
-Caught a Weedle and named it Beedy
-Trained Beedy and Bulba to level 13 (Beedy evolved into a Beedrill) and defeated Brock
-Caught a Nidoran Male and named it King
-Caught a Zubat and named it Jerald
-Got through Mt. Moon and grinded to level 17 to take on Blue (King evolved into Nidorino, then I used a moon stone to get a Nidoking right away, Bulba also evolved)
-Defeated Blue and grinded up to level 20 for Misty
-Beat Misty and caught an Oddish as a cut slave
-Cleared out the SS Anne and evolved Jerald into Golbat
-Beat Blue and Lt. Surge
-Got through Rocky Tunnel and caught a Ghastly and named it Nappy
-Cleared out Rocket base in Celadon
-Beat Erika (Nappy Evolved into a Haunter and Jerald was ready to evolve)
-Traded both Jerald and Nappy to my finished emerald to evolve them and then traded back
-Cleared out the Pokemon tower
-Cleared out the routes leading to fuchsia city (Bulba evolved into Venusaur)
-Got Surf from the Safari zone, found the gold teeth, and got Strength
-Cleared out Silph Co HQ
-Defeated Koga
-Caught a Gyrados as an HM Slave and surfed around
-Caught a Tentacool, named it Tenta
-Grinded Tenta up to par (Evolved into Tentacruel)
-Defeated the fighting dojo, and then Sabrina
-Cleared out the oceans leading to cinnabar island
-Cleared out the Pokemon Mansion
-Defeated Blaine
-Went to One Island with Bill
-Defeated every trainer on One, Two, and Three Islands
-Defeated Moltres
-Found Lostelle and handed her dad the Meteorite
-Travelled back to Kanto
-Grinded up to level 45 to take on Giovanni
-Saved Game

FIRE RED POISON MONOTYPE SINGLE RUN FINAL UPDATE:

It seems a bit weird that I finished the day I signed up but here is my last Update

-Defeated Giovanni using most Tenta and Bulba
-Beat Blue on route 22
-Cleared out Victory Road
-Grinded up from level 48 to 58
-Stocked up on Healing Items
-Defeated Lorelei with Beedy and Bulba
-Defeated Bruno with Jerald
-Defeated Agatha with Nappy
-Defeated Lance with Tenta
-Defeated Blue with ease, using mostly Tenta

MY TEAM

250px-003Venusaur.png

Bulba Grass/Poison lvl 58 Naughty Overgrow
Razor Leaf
Frenzy Plant
Leech Seed
Synthesis
STATS
Spoiler:

250px-015Beedrill.png

Beedy Bug/Poison lvl 58 Serious Swarm
Aerial Ace
Brick Break
Twineedle
Toxic
STATS
Spoiler:

250px-034Nidoking.png

King Poison/Ground lvl 58 Serious Poison Point
Brick Break
Earthquake
Strength
Megahorn
STATS
Spoiler:

1367399411891.png

Jerald Poison/Flying lvl 59 Modest Inner Focus
Poison Fang
Fly
Wing Attack
Giga Drain
STATS
Spoiler:

250px-094Gengar.png

Nappy Ghost/Poison lvl 59 Lonely Levitate
Shadow Ball
Nightmare
Dream Eater
Hypnosis
STATS
Spoiler:

600px-073Tentacruel.png

Tenta Water/Poison lvl 59 Naughty Clear Body
Bubblebeam
Hydropump
Surf
Blizzard
STATS
Spoiler:

This run seemed rushed, but its done. I have completed my Fire Red Poison Monotype Challenge.

I have nothing better to do so I'll start a flying ultimate run. (Gens I-V, I don't own X or Y unfortunately)
Forum User Name: JeraldTheZubat
Pokémon Type: Flying
Challenge Mode: Ultimate
Game(s): Blue, Soul Silver, Emerald, Platinum, Black 2

Blue Flying Monotype Update 1:

I named myself Blue and my rival Red. I chose Charmander, did Oaks errand then caught a Pidgey, a Spearow, and a Caterpie. I grinded everyone up to level ten (Caterpie evolved into Butterfree) and then cleared out Viridian forest. At the time I challenged Brock my whole team was at level 12. I beat Brock by continually using growl and leer until I could kill both his pokemon with tackle. After I beat Brock I cleared out the next route and bought the Magikarp from the guy in the Pokecenter before Mt. Moon. I switched trained Magikarp throughout Mt. Moon until I reached Cerulean City. I grinded up to level 17 to take on Red, then cleared out the routes leading to Bills house. I got the SS Anne ticket then immediately took on Misty. I took out her Staryu easily, but Starmie took out everyone in about two hits except Magikarp. Before Charmeleon fainted he got a burn off and then I just tackled and healed with Magikarp. I beat Misty and then saved.

Badges: (2/8)

TEAM
Spoiler:

Last edited by a moderator:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
I've got a quick question. I've been planning some teams for future mono type runs and I was checking the hack exception rules for Dragon typing and Soul Silver/Heart Gold doesn't get a hack exception. Am I overlooking an obvious Dragon Pokémon you can get before second gym? Because I thought the first ones you'd be able to get were Horsea (Whirl Islands), which would evolve into Kingdra either trading it or hacking the evo, and Dratini (Dragon's Den). I was just wondering cause I like to follow the rules and all :)
Oh, whoops! I forgot to update that for the new rule I guess. You can hack one in HGSS for Dragon type.

Years
Forum User Name: Butterslave
Pokémon Type: Grass
Game(s): Leaf Green

Note: I've already made a lot of progress on this challenge. I just procrastinated on signing up. I've also decided to not let Bulbasaur evolve. I just beat my Rival at the Pokemon Tower in Lavender Town.

Current Team:
bulbasaur.gif

Brocco
Level 33
Tackle | SleepPowder | Leech Seed | Razor Leaf
parasect.gif

FunGuy
Level 28
Scratch | Dig | Spore | Leech Life
weepinbell.gif

Colossus
Level 28
Vine Whip | Growth | Acid | SleepPowder
weepinbell.gif

Victoria
Level 27
Vine Whip | Growth | Acid | Stun Spore

Sageous

Xatu Lover
Years
I've been playing the game a lot lately, made a ton of progress.

Platinum Poison Monotype Update #1:
Spoiler:

Current Team:
Spoiler:

May take awhile for next update.

Years
  • Age 22
  • USA
  • Seen Jul 25, 2015
Blue Flying Monotype Update 2:

I went through the underground path to get to the route before Vermillion city and continued switch-training Typhoon until he evolved. I beat every trainer available and then went to the SS Anne. I easily took out every trainer on the boat and then took on Red. I used Typhoon on most of his pokemon and took him out easily. I caught a Bellsprout as a cut slave and took on Surge only using Vulcan because it doesn't have a electric weakness yet. After I beat surge I beat every available trainer on the way to Celadon. Once I got to Celadon I bought as many coins as I could and then played at the game corner until I had enough to get a Dratini, my final pokemon. I taught Dratini Thunderbolt and led with him on the way into the rocket base. After I beat Giovanni with Typhoon, I took on Erika. After I beat her with Monarch Dratini evolved. I went and cleared out Pokemon Tower and then saved.

TEAM
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Jun 20, 2015
Forum User Name: sinfulltears
Pokémon Type: Bug
Game: Alpha Sapphire
I started earlier but i actually was wondering if there is a way to get traded a couple bug types? thanks in advance

Years
Oh, whoops! I forgot to update that for the new rule I guess. You can hack one in HGSS for Dragon type.

Also just to add onto this, I don't believe you can get a Poison type before beating the second gym in the first B/W. Pinwheel is blocked off so Venipede can't be accessed.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 18, 2015
Update #10
Sorry it took me so long again! I haven't done much I just beat the Psychic gym with Talon using Night Slash as planned. But things got a bit hairy and I had to improvise a bit. Either way I got through that and fought Lysandre at his Cafe Hideout. That's all for now, I hope to find one free weekend where I can just finish it up.

7/8 Badges
@ Team Flare Hideout (Lumiose)
Fern the Hasty Chesnaught ♂ Lv. 50
Talon the Naive Gallade ♂ Lv. 47
Lara the Lax Machamp ♀ Lv. 49
Dynamo the Serious Hawlucha ♂ Lv. 51
Based God the Hasty Lucario ♂ Lv. 50
Samus the Docile Poliwrath ♀ Lv. 49

Years
  • Seen Jul 3, 2015
Name: Ceral456
Type: Ghost
Challenge: Single
Game: Blaze Black

Last edited:

cjpb

Rainbow Kid
Years
Name: Cjpb
Pokemon Type: Normal
Challenge Type: Ultimate
Games: Fire Red, Sacred Gold, Emerald, Platinum, Blaze Black 2, X
Previous Progress: No

Lycanroc

under the sun
Years
I'm going to pick up my Dragon Ultimate challenge from way back when. I had beaten Platinum and HeartGold (I think, I was on Red at my last update and I started a new game on HG so I'm assuming I beat him, though I never posted the update)

Forum User Name:
Veevee
Pokémon Type: Dragon
Game(s): Platinum (done),HeartGold (done), Blue, Omega Ruby, and X

I really hope I can find my missing X cartridge...

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 22
  • USA
  • Seen Jul 25, 2015
BLUE FLYING MONOTYPE FINAL UPDATE:

Sorry for lack of updates, finished the game and then went on vacation.

Went to Fuchsia and cleared out the Gym and the Safari zone then headed to Saffron and cleared out the Silph Co. HQ, the dojo, and Sabrina. I surfed to Cinnabar and beat up Blaine then cleared out 1, 2, and 3 islands. I went back and defeated Giovanni and then cleared out victory road. I grinded everyone up to level 55 and then defeated the E4 effortlessly.
TEAM
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 18, 2015
Update #11
So I took down Lysandre Cafe and have to head to Route 10 and catch Yvetal. My team is running into some difficulties, I have never had so many pokemon faint before hahahaah. Hopefully once the final moves are learned I can get through everything else.

7/8 Badges
Fern the Hasty Chesnaught ♂ Lv. 51
Talon the Naive Gallade ♂ Lv. 51
Lara the Lax Machamp ♀ Lv. 52
Dynamo the Serious Hawlucha ♂ Lv. 51
Based God the Hasty Lucario ♂ Lv. 50
Samus the Docile Poliwrath ♀ Lv. 49

Years
  • Seen Aug 17, 2018
Ultimate Dark Monotype X Update:
-Sandile evolved into Krokorok
-defeated Serena in the Tower of Mastery
-defeated Korrina
-Eevee evolved into Umbreon
-Frogadier evolved into Greninja
-defeated Serena in Coumarine City
-defeated Ramos

Team:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 18, 2015
Update #12
Took down Lysandre and caught Yvetal. I guess Snowbelle city is next. This challenge is getting a bit boring, but I've come too far to let it go now!

7/8 Badges
Fern the Hasty Chesnaught ♂ Lv. 55
Talon the Naive Gallade ♂ Lv. 52
Lara the Lax Machamp ♀ Lv. 55
Dynamo the Serious Hawlucha ♂ Lv. 54
Based God the Hasty Lucario ♂ Lv. 54
Samus the Docile Poliwrath ♀ Lv. 52

Years
I signed up for this a long time ago but, then never got around to finishing it. So, I thought I'd try this again but, actually complete it this time with a different typing as well :)

Forum User Name: CanadianBaconX
Pokémon Type: Psychic
Game(s): Fire Red, Silver, Omega Ruby, Platinum, Black, Y

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jul 15, 2015
I have returned to continue my ultimate monotype poison challenge. After having defeated Pokemon FireRed, I think it was almost a month ago, and working out financial hardships and finding work, I can return to my work of this run.

My Pokemon Crystal run is in stasis at the moment until I get a new charger because me and my wife share one and she has to take it to work everyday >.> But in that file I have just defeated Chuck, and have hit a wall of steel on Jasmine.

I am going to start my Diamond run, which will be fun because the only pokemon I can get for the first gym...is Zubat. I'm thinking of catching multiple, instead of just overleveling one. But this post is just to denote that I am picking up my ultimate challenge where I have left off. Thank you.

EDIT: I have now realized that Budew is a thing I can catch before Roark, which should make Roark a little easier.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back