• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedHead!

flying-type enthusiast
Years
Update Number Five!

I made it to Pastoria City. I caught a few flying types, but none I wanted to use. Butterfly rejoined the team to fight Crasher Wake.

I beat Crasher Wake somewhat easily. Splash took out Gyarados with a Thunder, and Butterfly beat Quagsire with a couple Mega Drains. Floatzel was the hardest, but after Splash was defeated, it just took one Quick Attack from Star to beat Floatzel and get the Fen Badge.

The Team:
Spoiler:

SmashMaster24

Eevee Lover and Dark Master
Years
Flying Ultimate Monotype Challenge
Kanto Update 3 (Final)

Spoiler:

Final Team:
charizard.png

Blaze (Charizard) Lv. 61
Flamethrower, Earthquake, Strength, Hyper Beam
fearow.png

Havoc (Fearow) Lv. 60
Drill Peck, Fly, Swift, Leer
butterfree.png

Elton (Butterfree) Lv. 61
Psychic, Solarbeam, Take Down, PoisonPowder
gyarados.png

Mayhem (Gyarados) Lv. 61
Surf, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Body Slam
golbat.png

Echo (Golbat) Lv. 60
Toxic, Wing Attack, Double-Edge, Confuse Ray

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jun 4, 2017
Forum User Name: PekoTAS
Pokémon Type: Grass
Challenge Mode: (Single)
Game(s): X

I have a 2DS again and am catching up on Pokemon and other franchises, but there are so many options in X it's a little overwhelming. Figured I'd do this to narrow my options a little. Also gives me a perfect excuse to use both Vileplume and Chespin.

EmptyIdeals

MindPoison
Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Jan 31, 2018
Forum User Name: EmptyIdeals
Pokemon Type: Normal
Challenge Type: Ultimate
Game(s): LG -> HG -> E -> P -> W -> X
Previous Progress: No

---------------------

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
My Grass montpellier run has been corrupted so gotta redo it...

Doing it on Black 2 this time. G/S/C is way too long to catch up =/

Forum User Name: Captain Gizmo
Pok?mon Type: Grass
Challenge Mode: Single
Game(s): White 2

Last edited:

EmptyIdeals

MindPoison
Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Jan 31, 2018
Are we required to capture all pokemon of the type we have selected for the challenge?

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Are we required to capture all pokemon of the type we have selected for the challenge?

Nope. There's no rule stating that you must capture all the Pokemon of the type you've chosen. But you must have a minimum of at least 2 Pokemon that is viable to battle against the Elite 4 by the time you reach them.

SmashMaster24

Eevee Lover and Dark Master
Years
Flying Ultimate Monotype Challenge
Johto Update 1

Spoiler:

Current Team:
noctowl.png

Kaepora (Noctowl) ♂ Lv. 29
Peck, Tackle, Foresight, Hypnosis
togepi.png

Sonny (Togepi) ♂ Lv.29
Sweet Kiss, Charm, Metronome, Headbutt
natu.png

Rei (Natu) ♀ Lv. 23
Peck, Leer, Night Shade, Teleport

Spoiler:

HM Slaves: Sandslash (Cut, Rock Smash), Chinchou (Flash, Surf)

Years
UPDATING Poison Monotype/Pokémon Fuligin

Number of badges: two

ivysaur.png

Venom the Ivysaur LV 24

beedrill.png

Yao... the Beedrill LV 20

ekans.png

Ekans the Ekans LV 17

Tobey the Zubat LV 15

Latino the Nidorino LV 18

Summary:
Caught a Zubat and a Nidoran.
The Nidoran evolved.
Walked the furthest I could before having to go all the way back, because the Ghost Gym was impossible to beat with the levels my Pokémon were, and the types my Pokémon were. So I crossed routes, a cave and a city, and reached a guy blocking the way who sang to me Never Gonna Give You Up (for some reason, it seems appropriate that somebody who prevents you from keep going sings this song). Then made all the way back.
Challenged the Ghost-type Gym again. Managed to defeat the Haunter quickly, but the Misdreavus beat my whole team except for Venom. Used Sleep Powder and put it to sleep, then attacked it. When it was about to faint, and I about to win, it woke up. That's not all. It used Confuse Ray.
The situation was: Venom was confused and if it didn't defeat Misdreavus in that turn, it would use a Psybeam and defeat me.
During a tough moment I waited to see what Venom would do... then it attacked and knocked the Misdreavus out.
It was a dramatic battle.
Then I got a... Cascade Badge. (?)

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
Years
ULTIMATE MONOTYPE RUN
Types Finished: Grass LINK HERE OF ANALYSIS
Type: Flying
Games Done: LeafGreen, OmegaRuby, HeartGold, Y, Platinum
Current Game: Black

Badges: 4

Events:
1. Started with a guy named G-Fly and with my starter Oshawott.
2. Since the first flying-type will be after the first gym, proceeded to grind Oshy until it evolved into Dewott.
3. Defeated the first gym with such difficulty.
4. Caught Pidove and started training it to match Dewott's level. Then I boxed Dewott and evolved Pidove.
5. Proceeded to Wellspring Cave to catch a Woobat and trained that one too.
6. Arrived in Nacrene City and defeated Lenora.
7. Proceeded to clear Pinwheel Forest and went to Castelia City.
8. Cleared Burgh easily.
9. Went north to the Desert Resort and got myself a Sigilyph.
10. Went north to Nimbasa City and trained around the area. Tried to find an Emolga but failing.
11. Evolved Woobat.
12. Trained Sigilyph and defeated Elesa using Double Screen spam. Evolved Tranquil.
13. Saved in Driftveil City.

Team:
Spoiler:

Pics:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Mar 18, 2021
Well, Christmas happened, and I got Alpha Sapphire as one of my gifts. Therefore, I'm going to be changing my Poison ultimate from Sapphire to Alpha Sapphire. Also, I'll be changing Pearl to Platinum; even though I don't think I had access to anything new as a result, I already had a nearly completed Poison run that I started on Platinum ages ago. Finally, I'm adding Sun to my Poison and Ice monos since I have both versions now. I'll get around to those eventually.

Forum User Name: Feraligatr13
Pokemon Type: Poison
Challenge Mode: Ultimate
Games: Leaf Green, Soul Silver, Alpha Sapphire, Platinum, Black 2, X, Sun

Forum User Name: Feraligatr13
Pokémon Type: Ice
Challenge Mode: Ultimate
Games: Red, Silver, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Black 2, X, Sun

I changed Fire Red to Red in the Ice mono because I have actually completed that one on Red, but I don't think I've posted it yet. I'll have that one posted later since I'm typing this on my desktop and all of the files for Red are on my laptop. Bolded game titles are the games I'm currently working on.

I have a lot to update on simply due to the fact that I've started so many different games, so I'll try and cover them all in this post.

HEART GOLD POISON CHALLENGE:

I've made very little progress on this challenge. I've only just caught a Spinarak to use as a replacement for my starter. It's really not worth an update right now. I'll post updates for this one at some point, but this run is less of a priority to me compared to the other runs right now.

ALPHA SAPPHIRE POISON CHALLENGE:

So far I don't have much done on this challenge since I just started it last night. However, I am close to getting my second badge from Brawly and I have caught 3 of my team members, though all of them but Ross are freshly caught and haven't been trained yet.

Progress:
Spoiler:

Team:
Spoiler:

I have a question regarding this run, but it also applies to any Alpha Sapphire run. As a part of these games, defeating Groudon or Kyogre gives access to many non-native Pokemon in various areas across Hoenn. As part of the challenge, are we allowed to go back after defeating Groudon/Kyogre, catch some of these non-native Pokemon, and train them for use against the Elite Four? Sorry if the answer seems obvious, but I wasn't sure whether using those non-native Pokemon was allowed since the rules don't exactly explain what to do in this case.

PLATINUM POISON CHALLENGE:

I don't have much of an update for this one. Most of the progress I have on there happened a long time ago, so I don't remember much of it. Also, at the time of me writing this, I can't find my Platinum cartridge, so I can't list off my team right now. However, what I can say is that I have all 8 badges and I'm right before the Pokemon League, but my team is incredibly underleveled, so I stopped trying to beat the Elite Four and started a huge grind to get everyone from level 40 to level 50/60. Other than that, I can't tell you what all is on that cartridge. I'll continue that one as soon as I find it.

X ICE CHALLENGE:

I actually have a decent bit of progress done on this one, though I'm currently stuck on Korrina's gym with no idea how to progress. Everything one-shots me in there. I guess I could go grinding, but that's the last thing I want to do right now. I'll probably get around to the grind at some point, but there's more I can do in the other games, particularly Alpha Sapphire, so I'm doing those first. I also plan on bringing in a Shellder to use, since it's exclusive to Y, but I'm honestly not sure how much it'll be used, considering I get Lapras right after Korrina's gym.

Progress:
Spoiler:

Team:
Spoiler:

That's all I've got for right now. I'll be back with my Red Ice mono as soon as possible, though.

SilverLeafeon75

Type diversity? What type diversity?
Years
Pokemon Black Grass Monotype- Update #3, Castelia, the city of confusion.
- Started in Pinwheel forest
-Caught Cottonee
-Traded Cottonee for Lillil the Petilil
-Crushed Team Plasma's hopes and dreams(Seriously, why do they even try?)
-Leef evolved into Swadloon.
-Fought Battle Company trainers(I actually had some difficulty here.)
-Fought dancers and other random trainers around Castelia.
Went to Route 4 to train(This is a GREAT training spot due to the one breeder who will fight you over and over. Great source of experience for Grass types)
- Ended Session.

Team
Spr_5b_496.png

SolidSnake (Servine) | LV24 | Male | Grass
Tackle, Leech Seed, Leaf Tornado, Mega Drain
-Has done great so far, powering through any pokemon that steps in our way, continues to be a solid hitter.
Spr_5b_540.png

Leef (Swadloon) | LV22 | Male | Grass/Bug
Tackle, Protect, Bug Bite, Razor Leaf
-Is able to take A LOT more punishment than I expected, a solid addition to the team, has most of my type coverage :P
Spr_5b_546.png

CottonWood (Cottonee) | LV22 | Male | Grass
Razor Leaf, Leech Seed, Poison Powder, Mega Drain
-Got rid of stun spore, as I prefer the residual poison damage(Also grass types have so many good status moves it is hard to only have 4, including attacking moves) Struggled a bit in comparison to my others.

Spr_5b_548.png

Lillil (Petilil)| LV22 | Female | Grass
Synthesis, Leech Seed, Magical Leaf, Mega Drain
-A solid Pokemon, also the only female on my team. Pretty enjoyable to use.

Updates may be slow, as I'm having way to much fun with Pokemon Sun and Moon ATM.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
As the new year approaches, I have been reflecting upon my various hobbies and life in general. The Monotype Challenge is a project I adopted some years ago to fill a gap left by a long gone member of the Pokecommunity, as the challenge had not been updated in some time and the owner had not logged in in 6 months. While I have never been absent for nearly that long, I do find it troubling that I have been unable to maintain my goal of weekly updates for quite some time and don't believe it to be fair to all of you who actively participate in the challenge on a daily basis. This was to be expected eventually, life is ever changing after all and it would be unrealistic to believe I could be the owner of the Monotype Challenge forever. It's gone through several iterations over the last few years, with rules coming and going, new elements being introduced to the Pokemon games, etc etc. While the introduction of Sun and Moon has invigorated my love of Pokemon, I simply am not as willing as I once was to dedicate large amounts of time to the franchise. I have had Moon for a few weeks now and still have not finished the main story line if that tells you anything. I still enjoy it, for sure, and will continue to play challenges as well, but I feel it is time to pass the torch along to someone with more dedication than I can afford. I am entering a new phase of my life with the discovery of a talent for writing, and as much as it pains me I must trim the fat. Playing one game series extensively as I once did does not add to my creativity.

And so it is with a heavy heart that I must call upon the people of the Monotype Challenge to step forward. I have put much love and labor into this challenge over the years, and don't want to simply hand it over to just anyone. It certainly won't be easy for me, but I know there are many of you who would take great care of it. Private message me if you are interested though and I promise I will give everyone who wants it a fair shot. I will be relieving my ownership of the challenge on January 31 at which time I will ask that this thread be locked to allow for a new version of the challenge, one with Sun and Moon in mind, to be opened by the new proprietor of the challenge. I will update this challenge to include everyone who completes the current version of the Ultimate Challenge (where games through Generation 6 are all that is required) so if you wish to be included in the list, this is the final stretch for you.

I do not wish you to think this means I am leaving. I still enjoy Pokemon very much, and want to keep playing Challenges. But there are always new games being released, and I want to be involved in the developing world of gaming in more than just one narrow line of gaming. Video games have always been a major facet of my life, and Pokemon even more so. I bid you all the best, and hope that you can forgive me my flaws in the past. I always had the best intentions when running the challenge.

Years
UPDATING Poison Monotype/Pokémon Fuligin

Number of badges: two

Venom the Ivysaur LV 27

Yao... the Beedrill LV 21

Arbok the Arbok LV 23

Tobey the Golbat LV 23

Latino the Nidoking LV 24

Summary: (I got excited and wrote a lot this time.)
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 7, 2023
Ultimate Fighting Soulsilver update

Hello! It's been a while since i've updated. Basically I have beaten all the gyms in both Johto and Kanto and am now training for the final battle against Red.

Current team:
Spoiler:

Happy New Year everyone!

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
Flying Monotype - Sun

Welp, beat the Elite Four on the first runthrough. First time doing that ever, actually. The trainer after the E4... I saw that coming a mile away. Favorite part is the champion battle music, haven't heard an awesome one since probably gen 2. :)

Hitches:
- Early in the game flying types are kinda sad. Pretty bad move coverage and there's an abundance of rock and steel types wandering around. (Wild Skarmory KO'd 3/6 'mon on its own, Roggenrola chain nearly KO's entire team. Ow.)
- Really Hau?! Stop hitting ME! THEY are the opponents! (Double battle with Hau was really a 1 vs 3 match against me. He proceeds to KO two of my strongest 'mon. Thanks.)
- Butterfree. Why did I pick him again? Oh right. He's early. -groan-

Final team:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 7, 2023
Ultimate Fighting Soulsilver Update

Red has been defeated! Now I can finally put this part of the challenge to rest.

Final team:
Spoiler:

Next up; Unova.

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
Forum User Name: Cymry
Pokémon Type: Normal
Challenge Mode: Single
Game: Sun

For this run I traded in a Drampa egg from my Moon game. I was torn between Drampa or Oranguru, but in the end decided on a Pokemon I wanted to use in Moon but didn't manage to. Ikaika the Munchlax was the Happy Hour event Pokemon.

State of the team heading into Route 4.

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 7, 2023
Ultimate Fighting White update:

I have now started my adventure in Unova!

Progress report:
Spoiler:

Current team:
Spoiler:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back