• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Names

pkmin3033

I do agree that "Ultra" is the most terribly cliche prefix imaginable even if it does fit the theme, but I can see the logic of why they chose to use that rather than two separate prefixes, or numbered sequels. Separate prefixes would have drawn parallels to remakes - FireRed and LeafGreen, etc - and numbered sequels would have given rise to comparisons between Black 2 and White 2...of which there are already many due to the spliced-up Legendaries.

Two more games with different names would have been confusing and pointless - there is a direct continuation to be drawn between Sun and Ultra Sun, Moon and Ultra Moon, and there are only three Legendaries of significance in SM so who would be the mascot for the fourth game alongside Necrozma? - and a third version would have been a past repetition, and Game Freak, as I've said many times now, do love to be unpredictable. US/UM are unpredictable in that they appear to be a reimagining of their predecessors - something we've not had before in either remakes or sequels in the strictest sense - so it makes sense for them to be given the same prefix...and, unfortunately, "Ultra" makes thematic sense. Even if it is utterly cringeworthy and sounds like something you'd find in a bad 90s show...or one of Saban's terrible new Power Rangers series.

But honestly, I'm indifferent to the names. At least Game Freak didn't go with excessive nonsensical Latin. When you've played a game series collectively titled Fabula Nova Crystallis you tend to be a little more forgiving...or have a wider perspective, perhaps. I've played games with much more dismal-sounding names than this.

If I were to pick? Honestly, I think Cosmic Sun and Cosmic Moon sound quite nice. That keeps the space-esque theme and doesn't sound like something off a 90s commercial...although it DOES sound like something out of the Silve Age of comics.

Back