• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Names

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    UltraSun and UltraMoon? I understand where they're coming from, but I feel they are a bit silly haha. What do you think? Would you have preferred Stars or Eclipse or some other prefixes for Sun and Moon sequels? :)

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
    yeah they're very lame D:
    better than solar sun & lunar moon at least, but ultimately I'm not impressed

Sirfetch’d

I feel like the names really tie into the Ultra Beast storyline. I am very OK with them :)

blue

gucci
    Years
    Interesting names imo, better than sticking 2 at the end that's for sure. Ultra clearly has links to the Ultra Beasts which is probably what the plot will be focusing on for these games.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Ultra is pretty cool honestly. Ties in perfectly with the Ultra Beasts! But for Stars and Eclipse... you gotta save Stars for the ultimate Pokemon game with DLC on the Switch, clearly. Eclipse... Alola fifth game?! :)

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    I also think this was the best choice for the 2nd games. It goes awesome with Ultra Beasts. So I hope that means they will have a greater impact.

Also we don't know if they are sequels yet or not. From what we have seen, they are remakes not sequels. And it was said that they were "alternative story"

Years
    Angie has a point, I could see the Ultra in the titles likely implying the Ultra Beasts may play a bigger role since they were mostly stuck for postgame stuff in Sun & Moon.

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
    I think the names are quite fitting, much better than solar/lunar sun/moon imo. USUM is a bit weird to type but I'm sure I'll get used to it :P and the word Ultra just makes it sound a lot more exciting so hopefully they deliver :D

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
    Can see theme with Ultra Beasts but honestly I would have preferred Stars

Or Nova Sun and uhh...Lunar Moon? That sounds bad, someone make it cool

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
    Anything sounds better than Black 2 and White 2, so fine with me. :P

Going by the name, Ultra Beasts will probably become a bigger part of the story, maybe we even get to see a bunch of new ones.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
    It ties in with the UBs, and I think it's a fitting name just because USUM is set in another universe separate of the SM series, and it's saying that USUM is better than SM in a sense coz they ultra haha :P

Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2023
    Honestly, it's a bit cheesy, but nothing terrible! (Anything is better than a number to be honest) Also, Solgaleo/Lunaaka are technically an Ultra Beasts.

Years
    I guess they could have came up with better names, but it ties in with the whole Ultra beasts thing so it's not too bad :)

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
    Well, at least it had some relation to the story. B2W2 is meh at the very least. Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon isn't the best name, but it isn't the worst.

Sean Flame

*#@()@(!#¥{
    Years
    It's okay. I don't really give a crap about the name anyways. Although pokemon stars did sound cooler, UltraSun/UltraMoon does make more sense as these games are just a different take on the previous ones. The name 'Pokemon Stars/Eclipse' would be more fitting if they were sequels with something to do with necrozma.

Bay

Years
    Everyone already mentioned how the "Ultra" parts tie in with the Ultra Beasts, which I'm totally cool with. I was also okay with the name Black 2/White 2 when it was first announced.

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
    Years
    The names sound a bit weak, but I'll warm up to them, it's a step up from "Black 2 and White 2".

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    "Pok?mon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon Versions" are the lamest core series titles ever (solely because of the "Ultra" in the subtitle. And yes, I know that the term "Version" isn't actually part of the title, although I feel that it should be since it's a cool term to me and was tradition in the past.. -.-), in my opinion. Even the titles of "Pok?mon FireRed/LeafGreen Versions" have their own charm to them (and are now the second-"worst" core series titles for me, although I don't even see them as bad, since they helped to kickstart the remake trend (by extension, enabling "Pok?mon HeartGold and SoulSilver Versions" and Pok?mon OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire Versions to have much cooler and prettier prefixes in their subtitles). And that's not even mentioning the myriad of Pok?mon spin-offs games with cooler subtitles like Pok?mon Snap (not knowing the camera aspect, that just feels like a game you have to play by title alone XD), Pok?mon Stadium, Pok?mon Colosseum, Pok?mon Conquest, and Pok?mon Dash.

As for Pok?mon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon Version, YES, WE GET IT, GAME FREAK. Ultra Beasts, Ultra Space, Ultra Wormholes, Ultra Balls (Ultra residual energy?)...sheesh. What happened that caused the pivot from nice subtlety to blatant Captain-Obviousness? "Ultra", aside from being Pok?mon's current hot synonym for "otherworldly", is practically an American Online (AOL) Keyword for the darn Alola region.., with the other 2 keywords being "gangs/punks" (because of Team Skull) and "Hawaii" (because of pretty much everything else). I'm sure Hau would say the 4th keyword is "malasadas", though.. :P. I mean, I get what they're going for, but I feel like chucking a beached Pyukumuku at the next "Ultra" thing that I see in the Pok?mon world.. What's next - Ultra Items (as in, super held items)? I really hope that the Necrozma-armored Solgaleo and Necrozma-armored Lunala aren't "Ultra" forms..

Another reason that I dislike the "Ultra" prefix is that the "alternate story" mention seems to make it like the presented setting is simply parallel (or alternate/considered "another story") to the current already-existing Alola storyline that we know of, but Pok?mon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon (US/UM) as games are practically guaranteed to have enhanced/superior features compared to Pok?mon Sun/Moon, at least in order to justify US/UM's very existence as a regular purchase or additional purchase, the likely-to-be-premium/high price tag, and the development time that was dedicated to it.

Finally, in my eyes, "Ultra" as a prefix is generic/unoriginal, essentially clich? now, and ridiculously worn out now due to the term's usage the vast amount of media in existence.. Even though I feel that it's an inherently cool term, it's been used so much that it's nearly uncool now, and that you have to use it sparingly/carefully for it to retain the punch that it once had. I excused it for the Ultra Beast-related stuff introduced in SM since those things seem integral to Alola's regional identity (and Pok?mon used "Ultra" sparingly beforehand; the only other use I can recall is the Hyper Ball's English name of "Ultra Ball", referentially used by Sinnoh's English-named Ultra rank for Super Contests, and that just seemed like a case of "trying to be cool in the 1990s" and "because we can"), but these game titles seem a tad too much. "Pok?mon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon" even seem like believable titles for SM themselves in the first place, and I wouldn't have batted an eye (especially it would seem like Game Freak trying to be "unpredictable" again, with the first instance of non-remake paired versions that have 2 words in their name to start off Generation 7).

But yeah, from a franchise that has implemented cool, not-really-generic terms in non-title like griseous, therian, lostlorn, precipice, coronet, pyre, vermilion, cinnabar, pike, resolute, relic, abyssal, oblivion, fissure, and azoth, Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon just sound so lame to me..

Admittedly, Pok?mon seems to be getting bloated name-wise as it seems close to exhausting most of the cool prefixes (super-, hyper-, master-, mega-, giga-, tera-, ultra-, X, Z (although there's an excuse with "zenryoku"), primal, shadow, alpha, omega, soul, grand..not sure about cyber and imperial) and Stock Subtitles. There are probably some left (the obscure metric SI prefixes, perhaps? XD), but we seem to be hitting a creative nomenclature limit.. XD ;_; The naming of Pok?mon things is starting to approach Power Rangers levels, if it hasn't already (case in point - the glaringly superlative title of the season Power Rangers Super Megaforce.. Pok?mon, as much as it honestly and positively tries to utilize good names, may have to take notes from Digimon and Yu-Gi-Oh! for naming.. :P

Logowise, as much as I love the original amazing logos of Pok?mon Sun/Moon (that subtitle font is just utterly splendid!), the "Ultra" portion seems afterthought-ish (it reminds me of the original nice logo for Power Rangers Samurai and the unnecessary/afterthought-ish logo for the "second season" of Power Rangers Super Samurai..). I would excuse this execution if it were the term "Version" like past generations, but I feel that "Ultra" connotates "new/better/cool", so I feel that its font should be a cool, different one to reflect that concept (like the "2" for the logos of Pok?mon Black 2/White 2, the dual fonts in the logos for Pok?mon HeartGold/SoulSilver, or the "super" in the logo for Power Rangers Super Megaforce...
    The new "Ultra"/corrupted sun/moon sigils are cool (although mostly because of the "black makes anything look cool" trope), but I feel like Moon's original sigil was utterly flawless.. :3

As for my own suggestions, mixed in with other people's offered titles across various posts:
    -Pok?mon Meteor/Comet - my favorite title, since meteors/comets are the only things that I currently feel can parallel the sun/moon as counterparts (and the subtitle subtly references the "Stars" rumor/codename via meteors/shooting stars!).. Asteroids could work too, but "Pok?mon Asteroid (Version) sounds weird to me. XD. "Stars", although possessing nice potential wordplay with the astronomical object and a "noteworthy person/Pok?mon", doesn't fit well since the sun IS a star, and by then, you're just repeating yourself. Although Kyurem and Rayquaza are already associated heavily with meteors/shooting stars.. I think meteors and comets are distinct from each other somehow, but they seem identical in spirit (although "meteor" sounds cooler to me).

-Pok?mon Solar Eclipse/Lunar Eclipse - very nice names, since you tie into Sun/Moon while not blatantly repeating those terms. Also, you reference a cosmological phenomenon that both of those celestial bodies undergo, albeit in different ways - somewhat referencing how the Alola that we're about to venture into is the same, yet different/"alternate".

-Pok?mon Supernova/Supernova Sun and Pok?mon Harvest Moon - I like the term "supernova" since it sounds cool and gives the imagery of either a "superb star" (matching how Pok?mon Ultra Sun supposedly will enhance Sun) or a "star past its prime". I wanted to use "blue moon" (referencing rarity/being special) or "blood moon" (being mysterious), but the Megaman Battle Network subseries took the former phrase, and the latter phrase sounds too violent/"mature" for the Pok?mon series (plus, in gaming, it's currently linked with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild as a Hylian phenomenon).. Ugh, and "Harvest Moon" is a videogame series in itself. But dang it, it's not like you can monopolize terms like those ones, right? -.-

-Pok?mon Twilight - I wanted to use Dawn and Dusk as subtitles, but some English-localized Digimon Nintendo DS games use those terms.. I guess "twilight" for the interim period between/light produced at dawn&dusk and dusk&dawn or something..?

Sigh..well, I guess I'll settle with Pok?mon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon for now, since I don't really have anything better to call them, and I guess the prefix does get the job done of indicating that they are enhanced.. @_@. All these paragraphs over a marketing decision, my word..

Back