• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The New EXP System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    Wasn't this the same in every other game, that you gain more experience if the Pokémon is a higher level, or am I missing something out?
    Or, is it if a Lower level Pokémon (i.e Level 36) battles a higher level Pokémon (i.e Level 51) they would get more experience than usual?

Yes, in older games Pokemon of higher levels simply gave a higher amount of EXP. Now they give more depending on how many levels higher than the Pokemon is.

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
    Years
    I did some calculations of my own, because it only occurred to me earlier how silly the system is.

Spoiler:

The maths might be a bit hard to read, but basically-

If your level 3 Pokemon is fighting a level 8 Pokemon and wins, the exerience is multiplied by 2 to get your "level difference bonus". If your level 39 Pokemon is fighting a level 80 Pokemon and wins, the exerience is STILL multiplied by 2. Not so fair, is it?

Admittedly, in practice it's a bit different (because in both these situations winning is unlikely). A level 5 beating a level 8 would make Mu = 1.4, while a level 57 beating a level 60 would make Mu = 1 (roughly). And of course you have to take base experience into account, along with evolving, and most importantly just the general balancing of the game. So, if Ruby and Sapphire get remade on this engine, levels of opponents may need to be rethough. I think I've got all the maths right, correct me if I'm wrong.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I did some calculations of my own, because it only occurred to me earlier how silly the system is.

Spoiler:

The maths might be a bit hard to read, but basically-

If your level 3 Pokemon is fighting a level 8 Pokemon and wins, the exerience is multiplied by 2 to get your "level difference bonus". If your level 39 Pokemon is fighting a level 80 Pokemon and wins, the exerience is STILL multiplied by 2. Not so fair, is it?

Admittedly, in practice it's a bit different (because in both these situations winning is unlikely). A level 5 beating a level 8 would make Mu = 1.4, while a level 57 beating a level 60 would make Mu = 1 (roughly). And of course you have to take base experience into account, along with evolving, and most importantly just the general balancing of the game. So, if Ruby and Sapphire get remade on this engine, levels of opponents may need to be rethough. I think I've got all the maths right, correct me if I'm wrong.
    If this is correct than training pokemon above the highest wild or trained leveled pokemon is going to be hard compared to the past generations...

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2022
    I didn't know/notice that the experience system had been changed... But I guess this explains why the experience I got from massacring tons of Tabunne seemed higher than it should have been.:)

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    I don't think Nintendo had done something with usual EXP system (they are lazy you know? O_o) but I really like that they put high leveled Pokemon into after first league location. It really helps leveling up.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
    No, it's not got to do with the amount of experience needed to level up - it's got to do with how much is given per win. Both will still need their respective points to reach level 100, but if they're both fighting Pokemon that have a level advantage over them, they're reach that cap faster because they're getting more points off of the higher level Pokemon.

Ahhh I see now. That is pretty cool. It can in most cases be an advantage, but also a disadvantage. You used to receive so much of Chansey's! It will be an advantage, untill your pokemon reach the 70's, then it will become really difficult.

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years

I thought it was always that way. :o
    Me too. Haha.

But seriously, I like these changes. It's going to be like the level up system in MMORPGs. It could help me a ton for training Pokemon I got for trades and evolving them.

.. Besides, my highest leveled Pokemon I have trained is a lvl 75 Togekiss in Platinum. So I doubt I'd feel much of the disadvantage of this new EXP system.

Chaos Uxie

Spreading Chaos....
    Years
    Me too. Haha.

But seriously, I like these changes. It's going to be like the level up system in MMORPGs. It could help me a ton for training Pokemon I got for trades and evolving them.

.. Besides, my highest leveled Pokemon I have trained is a lvl 75 Togekiss in Platinum. So I doubt I'd feel much of the disadvantage of this new EXP system.
    You can use lucky egg and combined with the new exp system ur pokemon will be at 95 at no time XD(can do rebattles at sports dome and little court at raimon city)

PKMN Santa

Making His List
    Years
    I will admit and say I like the idea. In my opinion, it adds more of a challenging aspect to the game in the sense that the game is encouraging to challenge yourself and grind off higher leveled adversaries.

Dragonite Ernston

I rival Lance's.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2016
    Apparently, the system has a bug in it - the level formula isn't as simple as (the user's level + 2) / (the opponent's level + 2).

I have no idea what it actually might be, though. when I calculated it, it made sense. But somehow, it's different in different cases.

Years
    I actually like the new EXP system. Letting my low-level Pokemon beat higher leveled ones will certainly pay off. But what I don't like about it is that my higher leveled Pokemon won't get a lot of EXP compared to the lower leveled ones when they beat the same Pokemon.

^ This. I noticed that some Pokemon were getting more EXP than others and I wondered why but now I like it. It made my Shimama level up a lot faster for my battle with Aloe

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back