• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Newer Pokémon Games are not as good.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    A possible Sapphire/Ruby remake? Anyone read about this?

Rumors of a Ruby/Sapphire remake have been floating around for a while now. They aren't confirmed, and, as far as I know, Game Freak doesn't seem to have any plans to do them. But I kinda hope they do make remakes of R/S/E.

Outlier

Nooooooostaaaaaaaaaaaaalgiaaaaaa googles!

*sigh* It seems you can't even show love for the older gens without somebody using the "N" word. Seriously why do people use the word nostalgia as if it's some kind of slur or insult? It's really immature and I'm sick of it.

Thats what it sounds like to me. I also find it laughable when people say stuff like "the newer pokemon designs aren't as good/lack creativity".

You find it funny that some people think that the older designs are better and more creative? You're right, people having different opinions from you is HILARIOUS!

People, we had a freakin' pile of sludge and a seal with one letter in its name changed back in Gen 1. Whether you like it or not, every single generation of Pokemon has had both good AND bad Pokemon designs.

You can make anything sound lame by describing it in such an apathetic way. The same way you said gen 1 had a "freaking pile of sludge", I could then say gen 6 has a "freaking key chain" or a "stupid floating sword".

Besides not everyone judges a design by it's "creativity". I for one judge a Pokemon's design simply off of whether I think it looks good. The inspiration of the design or whatever the Pokemon is based off comes second to whether it looks cute, cool, badass or whatever other adjective, so long as I think it looks like a good Pokemon. If I think it looks good then I will give it my kudos. If I think a Pokemon looks like crap then I will say so as well. It's all subjective.

I don't see why so many people think that after 6 generations and over 700 Pokemon that it's completely unfathomable that some people might say that they're running out of ideas.

And I know some people have been saying that since like gen 3 or whatever, but even then that's their opinion. And no one person speaks for everyone else so don't lump everybody into one group. I'm not saying you did that by the way but a lot of people do that to discredit people who don't agree with them.

And just because something's "classic" doesn't mean that all future entries have to be exactly the same as the original. Where's the fun in that?

I don't believe he ever said that he wanted all future entries to be exactly the same as the originals were. He simply listed a few of the reasons and features that he misses from the older games.

I for example miss the 8 bit music the gameboy era of Pokemon games but I don't want all future games to go back and try and recreate those kind of sounds because it would be out of place.

I've been playing since the days of Red/Blue/Yellow, and I wouldn't ever want to go back to Gen 1 or Gen 2 anymore (espeically considering they have remakes that are better). Gen 1 was just really unrefined when you look at it. Total lack of balance.

Yeah those games did have a fair amount of kinks and issues. It's almost as if they were the first installments of the series or something? ~_~

But hey, if you aint into the newer stuff, that's fine too. People are entitled to their opinions....most of the time.

Really because the way that you dismissed his opinion as being overly nostalgic seems to contradict this.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    *sigh* It seems you can't even show love for the older gens without somebody using the "N" word. Seriously why do people use the word nostalgia as if it's some kind of slur or insult? It's really immature and I'm sick of it.

You find it funny that some people think that the older designs are better and more creative? You're right, people having different opinions from you is HILARIOUS!

You can make anything sound lame by describing it in such an apathetic way. The same way you said gen 1 had a "freaking pile of sludge", I could then say gen 6 has a "freaking key chain" or a "stupid floating sword".

Besides not everyone judges a design by it's "creativity". I for one judge a Pokemon's design simply off of whether I think it looks good. The inspiration of the design or whatever the Pokemon is based off comes second to whether it looks cute, cool, badass or whatever other adjective, so long as I think it looks like a good Pokemon. If I think it looks good then I will give it my kudos. If I think a Pokemon looks like crap then I will say so as well. It's all subjective.

I don't see why so many people think that after 6 generations and over 700 Pokemon that it's completely unfathomable that some people might say that they're running out of ideas.

And I know some people have been saying that since like gen 3 or whatever, but even then that's their opinion. And no one person speaks for everyone else so don't lump everybody into one group. I'm not saying you did that by the way but a lot of people do that to discredit people who don't agree with them.

I don't believe he ever said that he wanted all future entries to be exactly the same as the originals were. He simply listed a few of the reasons and features that he misses from the older games.

I for example miss the 8 bit music the gameboy era of Pokemon games but I don't want all future games to go back and try and recreate those kind of sounds because it would be out of place.

Yeah those games did have a fair amount of kinks and issues. It's almost as if they were the first installments of the series or something? ~_~

Really because the way that you dismissed his opinion as being overly nostalgic seems to contradict this.

...I was wondering when someone was gonna come along and rip my post apart.

Look, all I'm saying is that just because someone thinks that the newer games/pokemon are bad doesn't mean that they are actually bad (since a lot of people seem to enjoy them). I just don't like it when some people believe that their opinion is a fact.

I use the term nostalgia googles because an awful lot of people who dislike the newer generations do so only because of nostalgia (not saying you or the TC is like that, but you never know). There's nothing wrong with prefering the older generations, so long as its not because of some blind, nostalgia-filled hate for the newer stuff.

I am aware that this topic is completely subjective, and I never said that the newer generations don't have any bad pokemon. I said every single generation has good and bad Pokemon designs (which I didn't say was solely based on creativity). But I agree, after 6 generations and hundreds of Pokemon, its not unthinkable that they'd be running out of ideas. And I'll admit my use of the word "laughable" wasn't the best of my word choices.

It didn't sound to me like he was saying that he missed certain features, but maybe I just misinterpreted what the TC was saying.

The reason I brought up that I don't wanna go back to Gens 1 or 2 is because a lotta Genwunners (not pointing fingers here) run about acting as if Gens 1 and 2 didn't have any problems when they in fact did have problems.

About my last sentence in my first post: I'm not the kind of person who's a douche and dismisses other people's opinions. Sure, I might not agree with your opinion, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna stubbornly be like "you're wrong and you can't think that way".

My post wasn't really directed at anyone in particular. It was a sort of knee-jerk reaction because this kind of thread often attracts the "gen 1/2 was the best gen but I have no reasons to back it up" kind of people (who are one of the 3 types of people I don't like in this world).

OK?

Outlier

...I was wondering when someone was gonna come along and rip my post apart.

Sorry but this whole thing with people using the word nostalgia to insult someone or belittle their opinion is so commonplace nowadays that I feel the need to address it when I see it. It's like calling someone a hipster for not liking mainstream music.

Look, all I'm saying is that just because someone thinks that the newer games/pokemon are bad doesn't mean that they are actually bad (since a lot of people seem to enjoy them). I just don't like it when some people believe that their opinion is a fact.

Nobody said their opinions were facts though. The OP didn't even say that the new games are bad. He just said he thinks the newer games aren't as good as the older ones, and he listed a few reasons why he felt that way.

I use the term nostalgia googles because an awful lot of people who dislike the newer generations do so only because of nostalgia (not saying you or the TC is like that, but you never know). There's nothing wrong with prefering the older generations, so long as its not because of some blind, nostalgia-filled hate for the newer stuff.

The beginning of your first post in this thread "Nostalgia goggles! That's what it sounds like to me." implies you were addressing him specifically and not just making a general statement. And even if you were making a general statement that's fine. I'm just saying that not liking something new doesn't mean you're overly nostalgic. You say a lot of people are and maybe that's true but there are also a lot of people who genuinely feel that there's been a drop in quality in the series as the generations go on.

I am aware that this topic is completely subjective, and I never said that the newer generations don't have any bad pokemon. I said every single generation has good and bad Pokemon designs (which I didn't say was solely based on creativity). But I agree, after 6 generations and hundreds of Pokemon, its not unthinkable that they'd be running out of ideas. And I'll admit my use of the word "laughable" wasn't the best of my word choices.

I was referring to when you said that you laugh when people say that the new Pokemon aren't as good or creative. And I was also addressing the way you described the gen 1 Pokemon in your examples.

I won't address the rest of your post because we seem to be on the same page more or less. Plus in my mind Pokemon isn't something worth going back and forth with essay lengthed responses. Trust me I'm not usually such a righteous ass over something as petty as a video game. But I just feel like it's near impossible to criticize the newer games or praise the older games without being dismissed or starting a gen war. I think it speaks volumes about the community as a whole. Not just PC but all Pokemon Forums, I've noticed it everywhere.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I was referring to when you said that you laugh when people say that the new Pokemon aren't as good or creative. And I was also addressing the way you described the gen 1 Pokemon in your examples.

Only touching this point. I want to point out that the way people describe the new Pokemon is exactly how he described the Gen 1 Pokemon in an albeit mocking manner.

Gen 5 was full of. "OMG Trashbag? Are you serious?" or "Its just icecream so uncreative." They also did describe Klefki as "Just a keychain", "A freaking keychain", and honedge was refered to as "Just a freakin sword." Some people complained about Honedge pulling the Magnemite/Klink thing being a single sword (Magnemite and Klink), becoming 2 swords (Magneton and Klank), then becoming one large sword (Magnezone).

Compared to any one generation, Generation 1 if made during any other point in time, has the most unoriginal group of Pokemon. A rock, a bunch of eggs, a magnet, a pile of sludge, a ball, a coconut tree, a plain big eyed balloon. They were creative because they were first, but compared to the ideas they come out with now, they really are unimaginative.

Yes every generation has their undesirable Pokemon. Newer generations have a biased dislike for newer designs because, lets face facts, a lot of fans have their own preferences. They tend to like specific generations more than others and hold those generations on a high pedestal. Nothing Gamefreak does will ever be better than those games to the eyes of those fans and EVERY fan has that feeling.

I grew up to Pokemon so I was around since the beginning and even I have a preference to the first generation. Barely any of my top 10 are outside of the first generation, but every new generation adds more that I tend to like. I have generations that just ruined the games for me but not enough to make me completely bitter towards Pokemon as some fans are.

I happen to love the two newest generations despite the negative comments that are so easily thrown around about the two even with my Gen 1 preference. A gen wunner that can get past the nostalgia goggles can see the same things I see.

Now in an opposite turn, I'm afraid of a few new Pokemon because they seem a little too much for the Pokemon world in my opinion. I see it as they put too much effort into the Pokemon in an attempt to make them popular. Things like Inkay, Pancham, Sylveon and those with unorthodox evolution methods seem a bit over the top, but I don't find them uncreative.

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2016
    Graphics aside, I still really enjoy the newer games. They're far from perfect, but I really wouldn't go as far as to consider them bad games either.

If you ask me, it all boils down to personal preference; some like them, others don't. But disliking something doesn't necessarily make it bad. I, for example, don't like the Final Fantasy games. But that's simply because it's not my cup of tea.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    I've been playing since the days of Red and Blue and I can honestly say that, looking at each generation of pokémon species as a collective, I don't dislike a single one.

Sure, there are a couple of pokémon in each generation that I despise conceptually (Jigglypuff, Unown, Delcatty, Lickilicky, Cinccino, Aromatisse), but there are also a big handful in each generation that I love (Gengar, Crobat, Ninjask, Toxicroak, Krookodile, Aegislash) to balance it out.

Point is, pokémon design isn't getting any better or worse. Given that the designers have to work within a certain theme for each generation, they're actually pretty damn creative.

Bestintheworld

Capo de tutti capo
    Years
    A lot of the new designs especially gen 5 are horrendous. As to the games being less quality or "not as good" as previous games, I find it hard to agree with that. The older games have the nostalgia factor which shouldn't factor in to overall quality. The newer games obviously improve in graphics every gen, they attempt and try to incorporate new things, albeit a lot of swings and misses, but if you look at the game as a whole I think the games are just getting repetitive with the goals and storylines.

Years
    I've also enjoyed the first 3 Gens. I stopped playing after I tried Pearl ROM on pc. I didn't like the Pokémon designs. 5 was better but still not good for me. I got back into it now, and Y is going to be the first game I'll buy since Emerald.

Cons:
    - Not really a con, but I also liked the 2D. I like the 3D battle scene, but when I control my trainer, I'd rather have a 2D top view.

Pros:
    - I've really studied the designs of the generations and I really like Gen 6, while I didn't like 4 or 5 very much.
    - It 'll be the first time I'll be able to trade/ fight online with a Pokémon game, so that's a new experience for me. This is the biggest plus because now I can actually evolve them and get pokémon I couldn't get ingame.
    - I'll finally be able to play a new Pokémon game :d

Years
    To play devil's advocate a bit, the early games (Gen 1 and 2, mainly) had a simplicity going for them that's rare even in the spinoffs nowadays. I might well be overwhelmed if I started as a kid with X/Y, particularly if I was aware of the methods behind EVs, IVs, natures, competitive movesets, etc. (I suspect that, while available, this kind of information wasn't as easy to come by or as widely known back in the day.)

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
    Years
    I was 6 years old when Pokemon Red & Blue were released in the U.S. so I grew up with the original generation. With that being said, I am in no way shape or form a genwunner. Nostalgia might cloud my mind a tad bit, but I appreciate all Pokemon games. I also form opinions on them and they are unfortunately not all positive, but you don't have to like every single aspect of something to be a true fan.

There are Pokemon, regions, and features that I like from every generation, but the amount of things I like went down after the 3rd generation and then went up again for the 5th and more so 6th, but still not as much as the original 3. I primarily pick my Pokemon team based on aesthetics with power as an after thought and I found less I enjoyed in the newer games. I take a good hard look at the entire line up of Pokemon from each gen and nostalgia completely aside, the newer ones just don't appeal to me as much. Don't get me wrong there are some that are amazing creations, but they are far and few between.

As far as looks go, I've always prefered gaming on an GBA SP over the newer DS's. I always liked the ease of one screen and the small clamshell design, not to mention the fact that it plays GBA games and especially GBC and even GB games that I play more of than DS ones. The first 2 gens looked great for the time and the 3rd gen was beautiful. I liked most things about it, but if I took that all away and just judged on looks, it was the best. The frame rate is also double that of the newer gens at certain times or all of the time depending on the game. Ironically I think the older games, especially the 3rd gen that I keep bragging about, look less pixelated than the newer games, yet they are still classic games with a classic look that I enjoy. Maybe some day things will be different, but as of today the close up 2D isometric view still looks more polished and defined than the isometric 3D or even the fully 3D games. Like I said I've played all of the games and appreciate them all, but as far as looks go, the older games take the cake. I mentioned that nostalgia might cloud my mind just a tad, but overall this is my honest non-biased opinion.

slim spazzy

Kik: spazzyda59
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    Well personally i have gotten used to the old games and the new games a like so it does not make a difference to me because according to me pokemon is pokemon

Back