• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Next Nintendo Console?

Years
  • Discussion:

The Nintendo Switch has been released since March 3rd, 2017, and it's still going great. It was first unveiled on October 20, 2016, codenamed "NX". There has been some news and rumors about the Switch's successor going around. But it's sort of hard to believe them.

The Switch is a great console, and it still is. Especially since we can play home console games on the go. But comparing it to past Nintendo consoles, it has many upgrades and some downgrades. Some downgrades, I feel, are features removed from the Wii and Wii U, like messaging your friends and easily using an internet browser. You can go on the web with the Switch, but it's a hidden feature. One of the small features I miss is a splash screen for when you start a game or app. I also miss being able to play online for free. But there's probably some good reasons why those weren't part of the Switch.

One big feature I wish would make a comeback is backwards compatibility. The GameCube can play Game Boy games, the Wii can play GameCube games, and the Wii U can play Wii games with a partially complete and enhanced Wii menu. Also, the Game Boy Advance can play the original Game Boy and Game Boy Color games; the original DS and DS Lite can play Game Boy Advance games; and the 3DS can play DS games. But the Switch doesn't really have backwards compatibility; instead, it has remastered versions of some games from the past. I hope the next Nintendo system will make it possible to play every game all the way back to the Game Boy and GameCube with complete features and enhanced gameplay. But I don't mind if we have to go back and play on our old consoles. I sometimes still play my Wii, Wii U, GBA, and DS.

What are some features you wish the future Nintendo console(s) would have and bring back? Do you also still play games from the past? No ROMs and unofficial emulators!

Extra: Another thing that would be nice for the new Nintendo console is more power so that it's more up to par with Xbox, PlayStation, or even PC. I would say that Nintendo is in its own league for being amazing, but it would be greater if they had stronger hardware and graphics. Maybe surpass 4K and 60 fps.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    • Profiles. Starts up new games of Pokemon without deleting the old files.
    • Gifting games. Cannot gift games directly to anyone currently on a Switch. Picks up Eshop gift cards from a third party instead. Feels so behind the times.
    • Backwards compatibility. Appreciated new systems being able to run old games.
    • Menu themes. Existed on the 3DS. Asks for nothing fancy, just basic colors.
    • Buying Virtual Console games to keep. Hates it being tied to Switch Online. Hopefully releases them for individual purchase soon.

Old games: Pulled out the CD for Warcraft 2 a month or two ago. Needs to play Earthbound again, on the Nintendo side of things. (Owns it for the 3DS.)

Years
  • Of course I hope it's more powerful then the current Switch; but some other features I'd like is the return of Streetpass (it was always amazing when I saw that green light on the 3DS), backwards compatibility with the OG Switch, more themes, being able to outright buy VC games and generally giving the system more personality.

Re - Old games: I don't really play many old games these days. I still have my DS Lite but I just haven't felt the need to revisit any of the games on there. I've had my fill of the DS line TBH.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
  • Backwards Compatibility. Absolute MUST.

More options for Avatar/PFP/whatever you want to call those things. Although I suppose they did fix this with Switch Online... there really still isn't enough and all they really do is give backgrounds, frames, and characters from certain franchises/games that come out/are out. Plus... they cost those silver... coin... things. Why not free? And more?

Probably said several times... but themes would be nice. Bland background is bland

More old games to play. The next console is almost out and there still aren't as many as back when the Virtual Console was a thing. Nintendo doesn't care about game preservation though. This is well known. I doubt this will ever happen.

More power and framerate seems to be overblown... but considering how some games have run... this is probably much needed at this point. Admittedly. Even though this isn't something I tend to really care about.

For them to give more love to franchises that aren't named Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Animal Crossing... I could go on all day. Am I a fan of all of them? Of course I'm not. Will I play them? Probably not. But you have things that people have been asking for YEARS now (Star Fox, F-Zero, Kid Icarus, Donkey Kong... again I could go on all day) give them some love with new games for god's sake. But will they? Probably not let's be honest.

This is all I can think of right now but if I think of more I'll post more.

Years
  • As I stated above, I still play past consoles. I mostly use my Wii to play GameCube games and my Wii U to play Wii games, including the N64 Virtual Console games I've downloaded. None Nintendo: I still play the original Xbox and Xbox 360, and my dad recently bought an Xbox One. I don't know if I would call it an old console. The only PlayStation we have is my dad's PlayStation 1. It still works, but we rarely play it nowadays. I'm sort of trying to collect old games that I'm interested in. I would go online or to shops to find some classic Pokémon, Sonic, GameCube, Wii, GBA, and DS games. (Pokémon XD is really expensive, but I managed to buy a working game at a pretty good price.)

Last edited:
    Back