• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Nintendo Wii U - What are your thoughts?

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    The reason why the Wii U is faltering is not due to it being underpowered or it not having good quality video games on it, it's because Nintendo has no idea what they're doing with the system. Ignoring the lack of advertisement, the Wii U seems to have no target market at all except for Nintendo fans, which is a big problem.

Most core/hardcore (ugh) consumers usually go for PlayStation & Xbox as they are reliable and, yes, relevant brands for them. What is Nintendo doing to entice them? Most first-party titles don't focus on them and third-party support is basically invisible.

As for casual audiences, they have much more convenient and cost-effective outlets for them like Facebook and iOS/Android. Those titles are much more basic and easier to understand, as well as easier to pick up and play for short periods of time. Plus, almost everybody has a way to access a computer or a smartphone (heck, they sell basic smartphones for about £40 that can run most games a casual player would every play like Candy Crush and Angry Birds) making buying a £200 system redundant.

While the Wii U does have a good library of games for small niches, apart from Super Mario 3D World they all seem to be for widely different audiences. The U in the Wii U's title is meant to symbolise how the system is made for you, so why aren't they making/publishing titles to create a console for every kind of consumer? I think the Wii U is in the same position as the GameCube as the focus of the system is seemingly non-existent. That's why the Wii U is failing.

I do like the Wii U as a system by itself despite how poorly Nintendo is handling it. And it supporting 1080p on all games (hint hint Microsoft) is at least a good step forward.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    The Wii U isn't pushing graphics like this:
    The Nintendo Wii U - What are your thoughts?
    Pretty graphics do not make a game or system automatically good. If the game is ♥♥♥♥, it's ♥♥♥♥ no matter how pretty you dress the ♥♥♥♥ up.

The WiiU's just faltering because of the lack of advertisement and lack of games for Nintendo's major IPs. And that game pad is a bit weird. When DKC: Tropical Freeze, Smash Bros 4, Mario Kart 8, and the next Zelda, Metroid, etc come out, the WiiU will see a big increase in sales.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Pretty graphics do not make a game or system automatically good. If the game is ♥♥♥♥, it's ♥♥♥♥ no matter how pretty you dress the ♥♥♥♥ up.
    I agree with you, but MLB The Show is the best sports series out there. :P

I want a PS4 now just for MLB The Show 14. I don't want the 30fps PS3 or Vita version.

Years
    For me, one of the worst consoles I have ever played. I was sceptical and wary of Nintendo's next gen consoles, after I got a Wii and was so let down by it. I got 3 games for it and never played it ever again due to hating the motion controls and the poor power.

So, seeing the Wii U, I wasn't impressed with it and felt it was very gimmicky with the tablet controller, so I didn't get one and haven't regretted it. I have played on it with friends and when it came out and I wasn't bothered by it at all. So, I am not a fan and never have been.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I agree with you, but MLB The Show is the best sports series out there. :P

I want a PS4 now just for MLB The Show 14. I don't want the 30fps PS3 or Vita version.

I wasn't taking about MLB The Show 14 specifically.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
    I love my Wii U. Why?

1) It has great first party games like Super Mario 3D World, Wind Waker HD, Pikmin 3, and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze.
    2) Amazing games coming out like Supr Smash Bros 4, Mario Kart 8, Bayo 2, Sonic Boom.
    3) Exclusives like ZombiU, W101, Bayo 2, Sonic LW, and Boom.
    4) A wide array of indie titles.
    5) Usually has the definitive version of a game is put work into it such as Need for Speed: Most Wanted U, Splintercell, Batman Arkham City, and Rayman Legends, hopefully also Watchdogs.
    6) Off-TV Play (Most awesome thing ever), Miiverse, Simple Interface.
    7) The Gamepad really enhances the games.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
    Also don't understand the Nintendoomed people. The Wii U has sold more then the PS3 in their first 54 weeks. The 3DS was doomed, and it made a huge come back. People are just hating because its not another run of the mill PS/Box filled with CoDs, BF's, EAshat. And because it has the name 'Nintendo'.

Back