• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Nuzlocke Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    I'm gonna start this challenge in Pokemon Emerald. :) I'm just following the main two rules and nicknaming all my Pokemon (because apparently I find fun in emotionally torturing myself).

Picked Treecko as my starter, have just reached Vertandauf and caught a Poochyena (Paul), Wingull (Winona) and Lotad (Lance). I haven't suffered any casualties as of yet, hopefully that continues.

Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2011
    This is my first post to the forum as a whole, but I picked up my old Pokemon Red cartridge and decided to play a Nuzlocke challenge. I could recount my whole game, but I just beat the game with 3 survivors, well 3 that mattered, right now I'm not counting the HM slaves and cannon fodder occupying my box right now. I finished the game with Chell, a Clefable, P-Body, a Charizard, and Atlas, a Cloyster. I got extremely lucky catching both the Clefairy in Mt. Moon (I didn't even know they were possible on the first floor there) and the Shellder by fishing off the side of Cinnabar (whether you count it from Cinnabar Island or Route 20 it was the first thing encountered).

I learned some powerful lessons such as using a Poison type (a Nidoqueen named GLaDOS for a good portion of my game until her untimely death in Koga's gym) against Poison types to avoid the Poison status. Or how a Rattata/Raticate can solo Brock AND Misty with enough Levels, Tail whips, and Hyperfangs. (My Raticate, named Dr.Ratman also met an untimely death in Koga's gym).

I can reaccount more of my travels later. Its easier than most run throughs due to the lack of catching many Pokemon and each death being pretty meaningful.

In the meantime I'm going to move on to Generation 2 probably without the Nuzlocke challenge. Its a pretty stressful experience to say the least. I liked the forced variance of my party, but I didn't like how I lost a lot of risk taking I'm use to in this game. It didn't help Generation 1 is a lot more difficult than I remember it. Maybe its because when i originally played R/B as a kid I couldn't go without using the item duplication cheat. Or I over rely on TMs to give my team full Type coverage and Gen 1's TMs are lacking to Gen 3, which I'm most use to.

Caterpie x

Bug Catcher
    Years
  • Pi x's Fire Red Nuzlocke Challenge

Rules:

- Battle style SET.
    - Pokemon Center MAX. usage per town TWICE.
    - No items
    - No more than 6 Pokemon at any time eg none in PC storage.
    - No more than one of each Pokemon allowed.

- First Pokemon encountered/gifted is the only capturable Pokemon in that area e.g. Route 1. (Unless duplicate).
    - Nicknames (if I remember)
    - POKEMON must be Released upon death
    - MAX. Pokeballs purchasable from PokeMart, 5 (any type).
    - Visit PokeMart MAX. ONCE per town.

Log: Part 1 Pallet Town (It's kind of long) :D

Intro:

- So first thing that happens is some creepy Old Guy starts talking to me about going on some journey. It turns out that he is really a POKADOT Professor who goes by the name of Oak (who names there son ater a tree). So anyway it turns out that Prof. Willow studys the many diffrent colours and shapes of the POKADOTS and the mysteries surronding the POKADOTS. Apparently there are many things that we humans don't know yet about the POKADOTS. (you learn something new every day). The creepy "BASket"! then goes on to ask if i'm male or female (boy or girl for all you smarties) so I decided to tell him i was a blocke (BOY). Prof. Pine then asks my name; - i'm now starting to worry im only 10 and some radom old guy named after a tree wants to know everything about me - naively I tell him my names Nuzlock (couldnt fit the "e") :(. Prof. Elder then asks me to tell him his grandson's name. wtf? Who doesn't even know there own grandsons' name and more importantly how the hell am I supposed to know. So i just go with my favourite colour and tell him his names BLUE. Prof. Beech then uses his good old shrink ray to shrink the kid, and it turns out he also has a teleporter because i'm now in some random kids bedroom, good old Prof. Bladdernut. (yes it is a tree, GOOGLE it). :D

Estranged Mother:

- Now that i'm in some kids house I decided to play his XBOX. But OMG hes got a NES :( I feel for the poor guy. So after learning that this kid parents are sick and depriving him of a childhood i decide to check out the PC and check his MSN. What no password nice :D. What no mail s**te ! I'm starting to think this kid has no life so curious to see the poor soul I head down the stairs and the kids delusional mother thinks im her son! I try to explain to the poor women who was obviously estranged that I wasn't her son but in the end I decided to go along with her charad, I'm too kind. Turns out Prof. Bladdernut ( I think ill stick with this name its awesome:D)
    is looking for me. So I go over to Bladdernuts' lab and there just some spiky haired kid there (who knows my name) and some specky smarticles so I head out. I go to leave town and good old Bladdernut finds me. Apparently it is dangerous to walk into long grass as Wild POKADOT's may attack. So kindly Bladdernut says hell give me my very own POKADOT. WOOOOOT !

My first POKADOT!!!:

- Back in Bladdernuts' lab that spikey haired kids still here it turns out that he's Bladdernuts grandson.WHAT A TWIST! Bladdernut then tells me too choose a POKADOT. Apparently this is very important and will have a serious impact on my story so he gave me three choices:

BULBASAUR - The Green POKADOT

SQUIRTLE :D - The Blue POKADOT

CHARMANDER - The Red POKADOT

I really don't like GREEN and it was a hard choice between RED and BLUE but I decided that BLUE was more my colour so I choose the Blue POKADOT Squirtle! I then was offered to nickname my POKADOT so I decided to call him Atlantis. It turns out spikey haired kid's favourite colour was the horrible Green, I'm alreadys starting to dislike this kid. But just as I go to leave Spikey haired kid challenges me to a POKADOT battle because it turns out that his favourite colour was really BLUE and he is really mad because i choose BLUE. Then I remembered that I named him BLUE and tried to explain the irony to him that his name is BLUE with the GREEN POKADOT but he didn't see the funny side of it. O well anyway I figured that because BLUE is a better colour than GREEN that means that I win the POKADOT battle but apparently thats not how it works and its alot more complicated than that, so Bladerrnut decides to be a good sport and walks me through it. Spikey kid must be really mad cause it turns out the BLUE is better than GREEN and I win. Spikey kid then gives me 300 bucks!!!!! OMG !!! It turns out you can get rich by winning POKADOT battles and I've got a BLUE POKADOT which is the best so I'll be like a millionaire in a week! Spikey kid then storms off with his GREEN POKADOT and I leave soon after.

- End of Part 1

If you guys enjoyed ill post more like this, if not ill just update normally, PEACE :D !

Last edited:

FANOFFIRESTARTERS!!!

Call me FOFS
    Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2021
    Sorry that I have no updates. But i go through games so fast that I do it in one sitting instead of multiple. I do use roms however so that does increase speed by alot. So I did a Crystal Nuzlocke a litte bit ago. Finally around a Hotspot to update and say that im done. Had to go through twice. Lost the first time at steel gym. Second time lost my Swinub (Kea) right after I caught it, and I also lost my Pidgeot (Fea) at Lance. But I did get though and beat Red using my Crobat (thems is beast) he was lvl. 100 for as i grinded him in the leet 4 for a while. I also Had a Feraligator, Gengar. And thats it. so put FANOFFIRESTARTERS!!! down for GSC Nuzlocke Champ plz thx bi

Years
  • My LG Nuzlocke failed, so I'm ready to go at it again... *gulp* I'm really not looking forward to this one due to the sheer fact of my Starter Pokemon, but I'm doing a Nuzlocke of SoulSilver.

Rules:

Faint = Boxed until Red is defeated.
    One PokeCenter visit when I enter a town, two while grinding (though I'll usually only use one unless I'm extremely underleveled because I get bored so easily), and one just before leaving (or going to a Major Event in the town).
    Nicknames (I will probably just use the Final Form Japanese Name COMPLETELY spelled; i.e. Meganium = Meganiumu).
    Legendaries will be boxed until after Red is defeated.
    Routes 29 and 30 don't count as "Catch the first Pokemon you See" Routes until AFTER I get Pokeballs.

I rethought the PokeCenter Rule just because it never really seems to apply. I never spend that much time grinding, so PokeCenter is now unlimited to me because it's just another unneeded thing to keep track of.

I will try to update after major events, but I will probably forget a few and just combine updates.

Part 1:
    Spoiler:

Edit: Does anyone else hate Chikorita's Overworld Sprite?

Last edited:

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
    Years
  • gkk92.png

~ Scroll Down ~
    ~ Thanks to Alternative for the Overflow CSS idea ~

Chapter 1: Carlito is my Tex-Mex Hero

YpGdB.png

Moving into Littleroot Town

So I being my journey in the Hoenn region by arriving at my new home. Some Vigroth are unpacking the boxes, and I adjusted the clock in my room. After that, my mom told me to go meet the neighbor girl, May, but she was busy when I had arrived. So I went up and ventured onto Route 101 to be "shocked" at seeing Prof. Birch being chased by a wild Poochyena! I promptly opened up his pouch in search of a Pokemon to choose as my starter. Having picked Mudkip countless times, and honestly hating Torchic's evolutions, I decided to go with Treecko.

RTrnR.png

Picking Treecko

Using my new friend Treecko, I protected Prof. Birch from the ferocious level 2 Poochyena with a couple Pounds. He thanked me and told me to meet his daughter May, who was on Route 103. I soon after nicknamed my Treecko Carlito, after a catchy video that I had been introduced to recently thanks to a couple users on this site. I traversed to Route 103 in search of May with minimal contact with Pokemon, only fighting a Wurmple and Zizagoon before arriving at her. I seem to have interrupted her research, but she was down for a battle.

kX6tH.png

May is a feisty one.

Naturally I was a little worried because I knew she had Torchic that under higher level circumstances would dominate my Treecko, but I forgot that her Torchic was still a measly level 5 and only knows Scratch and whatever its stat modifier move it (growl?). My Treecko was level 6, so it knew Absorb, but I knew that would be useful to try and use because it would be resisted anyway. I decided instead to start of with Leer, and spam Pound until the little bird died. It worked of course, and May congratulated me on my first trainer victory!

LGkI7.png

50% health, not bad.

After beating her, we raced back to the Professor's lab in order to receive our very own Pokedex. With that, I was free to leave Littleroot without any other interruptions...until my mom decided to stop me and give me Running Shoes. I remember when RSE introduced Running Shoes and I was in love with them because walking everywhere was horrible and slow. Thanks Gamefreak. I caught a cute little Wurmple on Route 101, named Wormy as a homage to SpongeBob; I caught a Poochyena named Wolf on Route 103 named Wolf, after user Wolflare. Anyway, I went to Odale Town to stock up on Potions, Pokeballs, and the oh so important Antidote for later when I enter Petalburg Woods, and the nasty "10%" chance to poison Poison Sting. I continued on to Route 102 in hunt of a new Pokemon to add to my team. Lucky for me, I got quite the diverse team and found a Zigzagoon. After catching it, I decided to nickname it Vrai, due to his general uselessness and how simple and basic he is, as well as his female-ness. He opposed this idea, but he might not when he evolves into a majestic Linoone.

ygxmz.png

Nicknaming my Zigzagoon Vrai

Clearing up Route 102 and its trainers was rather easy with my constant visits to the Pokecenter to ensure that my Pokemon stay safe, and my Pokemon, I mean Carlito. I hadn't really considered training the other pokemon just yet. I arrived in Petalburg shortly after to meet up with my dad in the gym, but he quickly sent me off to help some nooblet catch a Pokemon. Of course the lucky bastard finds a Ralts and heads of to Verdunturf. I decide to go on and venture into Route 104, challenge all the trainers while training my non-Carlito Pokemon before trying to catch a wild Pokemon to add to my team. Just as I finished defeating all the trainers, I hopped into the tall grass to be met by a Marill! I sent in Wolf to take it down to a catchable health, howling the first turn, followed by two Tackles. Of course, with my luck, the second Tackle landed a critical hit and fainted the wild Marill. I was devesatated as it could have been lovely to have a Water-type Pokemon on my team for the eventual battle with Flannery.

XHQ0c.png

Poor, poor Marill. You will be missed.

With that failed attempt at catching a Pokemon on Route 104, I was too bitter to try and look for more (well, you know, I'm not allowed to), so instead I trained up my whole team a little bit more and headed off into Petalburg Woods.

zoMec.png

Entering Petalburg Woods

Living Team

252.png

Carlito Lv. 10
    - Pound
    - Leer
    - Absorb

265.png

Wormy Lv. 5
    - Tackle
    - String Shot
    - Poison Sting

261.png

Wolf Lv. 6
    - Tackle
    - Howl

263.png

Vrai Lv. 5
    - Tackle
    - Growl
    - Tail Whip​

Thanks for reading, I will be continuing this journey tomorrow and post the next chapter upon beating Roxanne. I'll be adjusting the format somewhat sometimes if something is bothering me. So, leave feedback on format too. >:o I realize the box is a bit short...so I might change that.

GGK

Years
    • Seen Sep 20, 2015
    Rules

1. If a Pokemon Faints, its dead, release it.
    2. No Healing Outside of battle, unless the Elite Four
    3. You can only catch/recieve one Pokemon in each Area. A town is one area, a route is one area, a cave is one area, etc. Should you fail to catch a Pokemon for any reason (other than game corruption) than too bad.
    4. You must nickname all of your Pokemon

Platinum

Chapter One

Spoiler:

This was fun to write! Hope you guys liked it!

Current Team
    Spoiler:

Boxed
    Spoiler:

The Fallen
    Spoiler:

Pebblycone

Little Monster ♥
    Years
  • ok I haven't updated in quite a while, but I have had a lot going on... mainly school. All I have had time to do is level up my recent Pokemon, so pretty boring stuff. The training gets really boring so then I start not playing for a while haha. I have also been switching between Pokemon games - Firered (Nuzlocke) and my Pokemon Black.
    Hopefully I will get some stuff done, but if not, I'll do a short update

GGK

Years
    • Seen Sep 20, 2015
    Had a couple close calls since my last Chapter. Hopefully these ones are good!

Chapter Two

Spoiler:

Chapter Three

Spoiler:

Current Team
    Spoiler:

Boxed
    Spoiler:

The Fallen
    Spoiler:

Years
  • With my natural ability of getting lazy near the end of challenges, I thought I should start my third nuzlocke attempt. :D

In game name: Chez
    Game: Ruby

I will also try to nickname all of my pokemon. :P

Update:
    I won't really be going into detail about my run, just putting it into bullet points.
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
  • So I guess I'm going to be taking this one too :P

In game name: Exilon
    Game: Soul Silver (on NDS)
    Rules used: all of them. Including NO-healing outside of battle.
    Rules (for reference):
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Important, before I get into the chapters: When I started, I interpreted Rule 3 as "you can choose which pokemon to capture, but only one per area, and if you fail, you can't do it again." I only realized a few moments ago the original intention was "catch the first pokemon you find in every area"... and since it IS imperative, there is no way around it, and I'll start with it from now on. In any case, all pokemon captured WERE the first I saw in their respective Route.

Chapter 1
    Spoiler:

Current Team
    Spoiler:

Memories of Lost Heroes
    Spoiler:

Aura Vitae

Down, Sword Hand!
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2019
    I always wanted to try Nuzlocke Challenge and am about to start one on LeafGreen. I just received my starter, a Bulbasaur, whom I named Marluxia. I will update this later on.

phonastik

Strange Quark
    Years
  • Seeing as you revive fossils in a city, the game sees them as being 'met' in that city By that logic, only one fossil can be revived, as you can only have one Pokemon caught per area.
    As for shinies, in my rules they're exempt because of their rarity. If you're a purist, though, no shinies unless they're the first in an area.

Aura Vitae

Down, Sword Hand!
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2019
    Before I go any further with my LeafGreen Nuzlocke Challenge, I have a question. What do I do about the Route 1 Pokemon? Running into one of them is inevitable on your way to Viridian City. When you first head through the route, you don't have any pokeballs. You don't even get pokeballs till after you deliver Oak's Parcel to Professor Oak. So are the Route One Pokemon unavailable to catch once you get pokeballs if you had ran into them on your way to Viridian?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back