• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Official Shiny Thread

Mykee

Colon Quesadilla?
Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2010
    45 chain and two shiny scythers. And the hunt continues!

Edit: Make that three.. RIGHT as i posted here haha.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2017
    i got a shiny houndour in my play through platinum it was quite a shock crappy nature though

Joe-kun

GOOD GOOD SMILE!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 30, 2010
    I've never done any "chaining," (heck, I don't even know what it is,) and came across my only Shiny by total accident:

When I got Platinum, I had planned to trade over my Surfing Pikachu from Pearl, but ended up in Trophy Garden anyway. I ran into a few Pikachu and just KO'd 'em for EXP, but then decided to just catch one. I'm glad I did - That one ended up being Shiny. Due to the lighting in my room, I had no idea - I could've just let it go without even knowing.

So I come to you today with my Shiny male Pikachu in a Premiere Ball. I've dubbed him "Sparkles." You know, cause the little sparkles when he comes out. I do love him so.

No you fail

l to the o to the l
    Years
  • I've gotten myself quite a few shinies via chaining and shiny japanese ditto breeding a while ago but now my shinies all come from random encounters while EV training or catching fillers. Think I've gotten 7 or 8 random shinies in the past few months the last two being a Tentacruel while EV training and a shinx while catching fillers.

XanthonyX

That one guy over there!!
    Years
  • Shiny help???

would it be easier for me to get a shiny pokèmon by radar or by hatching eggs???
    please help

Hatenko

Hiya!
    Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2010
    depends on which one you're better at. the Masuda method requires alot of time and persistence while chaining requires you to be careful and persistent. personally i'm awful at chaining, only made it up to 33 spinda once, so i've been trying to breed nincadas and mudkips using this method.

Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2010
    I remember my first shiny. It was my first time in Mount Moon on Fire red. I walked in and I found a black Zubat. I have played it another time.

perfectmonster

Eggs Are Awesome!
    Years
  • OK, can someone please tell me what the hec chaining is, how i do it and how i get shinys??? i have no luck. ive only found 3 and they all made me run out of pokeballs :(

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    OK, can someone please tell me what the hec chaining is, how i do it and how i get shinys??? i have no luck. ive only found 3 and they all made me run out of pokeballs :(

Chaining is a second-hand way to obtain a shiny. In order to chain, you're going to need to have a lot of money in order to get the supplies listed below:

• Ultra Balls and Quick Balls
    • Max Repels [lots and lots]
    • PokéRadar
    • High-leveled pokémon
    Of course to obtain the PokéRadar you have to beat the Elite Four and have all of the Sinnoh Pokémon seen.

The next step is to get out there and find whichever pokémon you want to be captured as a shiny. For example, you want a shiny Skitty. Once you are in the grass where Skitty can be found, [in this case, a swarm where Lucas's sister has told you where to find them] use a Max Repel. Make sure your PokéRadar is selected and can be used by the Y button. Press Y and step in the grass patches that are a yellowish color. Grass patches that just shake and do not have a hint of yellow in them will break your chain and you should not step in them. Also remember that only go in a yellow patch that is the farthest away from you and there are 5 grass patches shaking in total. Do not step in shaking ones at the edge of points
    [example:
    OxxxxxxO
    OxxxxxxO
    OxxxxxxO
    OxxxxxO]
    [The O's represent the edges which are not to be stepped on.]
    Be aware of how many grass patches there are and try not to go too far down where you can't see the other grass patches anymore. This can break your chain. Remember to always use your Max Repel's and you do not have to catch every single pokémon...you can simply beat them until a grass patch is glittering shiny--that one will be the shiny that you should catch.

And well that's basically it. Just be careful when chaining and hope to get a shiny. Also, if you have the PokéRadar App where it shows you your chains of pokémon and the one you currently chain for and it reaches 40, it could be a chance where you could get a shiny.
    Hope I explained well enough and Happy Chaining!

Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2010
    I havent gotten any :(
    what im worried about is knowing my luck i will find one and blink and i will miss the sparkles thing
    it would be better if it said Shiny on it or had some other indicator

pokedict

i spy a big pie
    Years
  • hai, I have'nt really caught any shinies, but i'm on quite a long chain of bidoofs so far (XD)
    I have tried a lott hough :/
    anyway, question; if you catch a shiny ditto, when it uses transform does it transform into the shiny version? o.o

mic000899

Amateur Trainer
    Years
  • I am horrible at chaining. I tried to chain a cubone but a bidoof broke my chain of 34. Later in the game i wanted to catch a Luvdisc so i went to the Pokemon League to fish and instead i found myself a SHINY GYARADOS!!! I freaked out and started jumping around like a maniac lol. Im so happy =D

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I havent gotten any :(
    what im worried about is knowing my luck i will find one and blink and i will miss the sparkles thing
    it would be better if it said Shiny on it or had some other indicator

I always use to think this same thing would happen to me as well, but I usually shut my eyes tight right after a battle and open them quickly just in time to see the shining patches. Then again I am used to having my eyes open for a long period of time.

As for my own chains I've had no luck so far. At a chain of 27 for Pachirisu, it broke with my carelessness but I was somewhat happy. I was running out of Max Repels so it was a relief and a disaster at one time.

ultimatediamond

Aura Guardian
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2010
    i have a shiny pineco!!! its gold and looks really cool. cant wait to evolve it.

hey ill trade you another shiny for that - i have loads to offer

im trying to make a team of all shiny and at least part steel types

so far i have scizor, skamory, magnezone, steelix, metagross and aggron

to finish off i still need a shiny riolu, pineco and piplup

Last edited:
    Back