• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] The Ominous Failure of Pokemon FanGames

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2020
    I think the problem is that, in some way or another, people realize "Hey, this is my fangame. What can I do that Nintendoesn't in the real Pokemon?" and instantly, they jump to plot. This isn't bad, but there's so much more you can change about Pokemon, without even changing the gameplay. People just need to take a step back.

You have a world filled with tameable monsters. Go.
    I don't know about all the latest fangames, but I'm surprised we haven't seen a Pokemon fangame inspired by Zelda, where exploration and actual dungeon solving is the focus rather than 8 badges (8 legendary artifacts instead?) or the lucid plans of an evil organization. Or if you're into plot, a Pokemon game that really feels like a journey. A game more anime-esque, where the player character talks, the bond between him and his starter (cutscene wise, it'd be easier to focus on just one) is explored, traveling to new towns and regions is actually a big deal, maybe a sense that it's you and your mons against the world instead of "Hey if things get bad I can always take 10 minutes to run/fly home." It could work. It wouldn't be the game you're used to, but it could work.

Somni

Robot Assassin
    Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2016
    I think the problem is that, in some way or another, people realize "Hey, this is my fangame. What can I do that Nintendoesn't in the real Pokemon?" and instantly, they jump to plot. This isn't bad, but there's so much more you can change about Pokemon, without even changing the gameplay. People just need to take a step back.

You have a world filled with tameable monsters. Go.
    I don't know about all the latest fangames, but I'm surprised we haven't seen a Pokemon fangame inspired by Zelda, where exploration and actual dungeon solving is the focus rather than 8 badges (8 legendary artifacts instead?) or the lucid plans of an evil organization. Or if you're into plot, a Pokemon game that really feels like a journey. A game more anime-esque, where the player character talks, the bond between him and his starter (cutscene wise, it'd be easier to focus on just one) is explored, traveling to new towns and regions is actually a big deal, maybe a sense that it's you and your mons against the world instead of "Hey if things get bad I can always take 10 minutes to run/fly home." It could work. It wouldn't be the game you're used to, but it could work.

I totally agree with you! In fact I am striving to create a game that mixes Pokemon and Zelda elements, called Project Auro.

I've played several nicely done pokemon fan-games but they still leave me with the disatisfaction I feel with Nintendo's pokemon games. Shallow plot, lack of truly new rpg elements, lack of originality, and the same-ish goals and quests. Honestly, the 8-gym leaders quest is overdone. I know that it is traditional of the Pokemon games, but think of the possibilities one could do with that single quest. I'm surprised people have not expanded further on what Nintendo has made traditional.

Another thing that sonicspeed500 brought up was the mystery one would feel when playing Red and Blue for the first time; it was definitely mysterious for me, but many pokemon fan games follow the same flaw of repeating the same cliches Nintendo does. This destroys any sense of mystery in their games. Every fan game I play starts out with a professor; already there I feel like I am replaying the same story, same beginning, with no mystery whatsoever.

For those of you who are creating fan games, think about this: do you want people to really play your game? If so, what are you doing in your game that will capture their imagination, their interest that will keep them hooked? Does it truly hurt to just break the traditions of Nintendo Pokemon games?

Years
    I've obviously thought out alot of this and agree with most of what you said.
    i'll try to do my best to take into account how everyone feels as well as how I feel when constructing my game. I believe thats the best method to go with.
    EDit:
    I admire the way you guys think here, and I would really like feedback on my ideas located here:
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=256373
    You all think generally the same way I do, thats why i'm looking to see if I'm taking the right maneuver here.

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2011
    It takes a long time to make even just a city look nice and original....

Keep in mind that this is one person making the game as opposed to an entire team of experts.

Back