• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] The Pie Bakery: Re-Opened

Years
The Pie Bakery

[Re-Opened]

If you go back far enough through the Art Studio, you'll eventually come across a Gallery called the Pie Bakery. It's been a long time since I posted there, and honestly it's not very good since I made it when I was very new to this art thing. So, while I'm definitely still a novice, I feel like making a fresh start and closing the old one makes sense. Some of the less terrible older works may find their way here, but this will mostly be newer (and slightly better) stuff now.

Pokemon Art

None yet, but I'll get to it. Probably.

Roleplay Characters

I don't always draw my characters since I have a stockpile of other art I own, but I've started doing so more often. Sometimes I'll draw other people's characters because all the RPT people are awesome and make cool characters.

Hael Clar (My character from Sapphire Rose's Yokai Academy)
Spoiler:

Hael Clar with Laguna Beach (Laguna is played by Godzil. Also, this is probably the best thing in this gallery.)
Spoiler:

Craw Nezz (Originally from Rika's Star Wars: Jedi Outcasts)
Spoiler:

Hartley (My character made for Dragon's A Pirate Tale)
Spoiler:

Fen's Floatzel for A Pirate Tale
Spoiler:

D&D Stuff

Since somehow I've ended up drawing my D&D groups characters somehow, I might as well add a section for it.

Aerin Sargwyn (Played by Sapphire Rose)
Spoiler:

Allys Copperlead (Played by Adventure, or whatever Riki's name is when you read this)
Spoiler:

Hat (Played by Turnip)
Spoiler:

Jovian Redtip (Mine)
Spoiler:

Krum (Played by Murkmire)
Spoiler:

Mask (Played by Lycanthropy)
Spoiler:

Other Art

Mostly random people I've drawn. Might throw in the odd landscape or something weird here sometimes.

Headshot
Spoiler:

Weird Girl in the Rain
Spoiler:

Somewhat Androgynous Shounenesque Looking Person Maybe
Spoiler:

Everything Is Better With Sky Whales
Spoiler:

Collaborative Pieces

What is says on the tin, things I've drawn in collaboration with other more talented artists.

Superhero Dudes (Drawn with my sister)
Spoiler:

Two Girls at a Creek ft. Weird Fish things (Also drawn with my sister)
Spoiler:

Alien, Ghost, Space (Drawn with Kitty. I lied, this is the best one.)
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
So, I randomly though "what if shounen characters looked more androgynous?"
Then I decided now would be a great time to experiment more with poses and the way I draw hair and stuff. This was the end result.

Spoiler:

Over all, I'm really happy with how it came out, especially the new way of doing hair which I'm definitely going to stick to and refine. I think the next things I want to work on are more elaborate clothing designs and the way I do shading, because I'm not happy with either of those. Suggestions for things I should look into?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Ahaa I see what you mean with the different hair now! I like it!

I absolutely love the alien ghost space piece btw, lovely colors and mood. I'd put it on my wall c:

And wow your old Star Wars char! Man, that's cool to see.

Years
Spoiler:

Everything is better with sky whales. This one took an eternity to do but I'm pleased that there was some degree of improvement. Especially because I was making a point of drawing a different age bracket than usual on top of the slightly more complicated design and actual background.

Years
Time for an art dump! It's been a while.

Hartley (My character made for Dragon's A Pirate Tale)
Spoiler:

Fen's Floatzel for A Pirate Tale
Spoiler:

and also a million or so D&D characters

Aerin Sargwyn (Played by Sapphire Rose)
Spoiler:

Allys Copperlead (Played by Adventure, or whatever Riki's name is when you read this)
Spoiler:

Hat (Played by Turnip)
Spoiler:

Jovian Redtip (Mine)
Spoiler:

Krum (Played by Murkmire)
Spoiler:

Mask (Played by Lycanthropy)
Spoiler:

Mass posting of the things complete.

Years
Team Fruit Punch from my RP Seeds of Tomorrow. Characters are (left) Maria and Erin played by Stinging Bea, (back right) Logan played by Shak and (front right) Raeliana/Melody played by Sapphire Rose. They do amazing work so I put in a lot of effort for this. Even messed around with a stock photo on PS to make a background I was happy with.

Spoiler:

Years
I've been experimenting with some stuff stylistically. Note sure how I feel about any of it yet lol
Except the shading, that's much better (mostly).

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Years
These are nice and expressive poses! In terms of a new style, I think if you're going to go for an almost lineless look, you should be defining chunks and breaks in the hair more instead of being a mostly solid shape. In general, maybe details on clothes to break up those shapes as well. The bottom one does this better because of the movement of the body and overlap of the arms over the hair. The reasoning for breaks in solid shapes is that since you're very light and soft on the shading, small lines is a bit harder to pull off without losing the shape of the form and misunderstanding where body parts actually are or they blend into each other.

Years
These are nice and expressive poses! In terms of a new style, I think if you're going to go for an almost lineless look, you should be defining chunks and breaks in the hair more instead of being a mostly solid shape. In general, maybe details on clothes to break up those shapes as well. The bottom one does this better because of the movement of the body and overlap of the arms over the hair. The reasoning for breaks in solid shapes is that since you're very light and soft on the shading, small lines is a bit harder to pull off without losing the shape of the form and misunderstanding where body parts actually are or they blend into each other.

Completely agree on all accounts!
I'm going to keep exploring around a bit more, but I'll likely stick to keeping some sort of lineart just because it's much easier to keep things defined. I'm definitely liking the airbrushed shading more than what I was doing before now, but I'm getting a bit stuck on how to shade creases - or even if I should.

Years
Completely agree on all accounts!
I'm going to keep exploring around a bit more, but I'll likely stick to keeping some sort of lineart just because it's much easier to keep things defined. I'm definitely liking the airbrushed shading more than what I was doing before now, but I'm getting a bit stuck on how to shade creases - or even if I should.

It depends on the person, but there are different diffusions of shadows. It just depends on the angle of the shadow and how strong the light is. If you're going realistically then you'll have a combination of both soft and sharp shadows especially in the folds of clothes. I personally do not like the airbrushed shadows, as I feel they aren't describing much about the figure that way.

Here's a tweet I saw recently of different styles of shadows and lines, for at least a style that's not trying to be very painterly. https://twitter.com/ainmaio/status/1308188101089656834

Years
The experimentation continues. Feels like I'm starting to narrow down what I like and dislike more now, but there's still a ways to go.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Sapphire Rose

[I]Only thorns left on this rose.[/I]
Years
I really like how you're getting a lot better. If you look back at your older art and look at the ones you make now you can see a clear growth and that's super awesome to see. The only thing your art could maybe use is using shadows in the creases. In your new one with six from little nightmares you have a super good shadow/light thing going on but the creases are flat and not very visible. Would've loved loved to see more definition in the creases.

Overall good work though! c: You motivate me to keep drawing as well so keep on going!

Years
I really like how you're getting a lot better. If you look back at your older art and look at the ones you make now you can see a clear growth and that's super awesome to see. The only thing your art could maybe use is using shadows in the creases. In your new one with six from little nightmares you have a super good shadow/light thing going on but the creases are flat and not very visible. Would've loved loved to see more definition in the creases.

Overall good work though! c: You motivate me to keep drawing as well so keep on going!

Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out exactly what I want to do for crease shading.

Years
So, a story concept... well closer to an entire story, randomly popped in my head and I felt compelled to do something with it. I ended up drawing a scene and it turned into by far the best drawing I've done so far. Legitimately proud of this one.

Spoiler:

Years
I drew an aged up version of my character from an "old" RP since there's an indirect sequel I'm in now. Pretty happy with how it turned out but my exploration of how to not be bad at creasing is still very much ongoing lol.

Spoiler:

I should also update the OP with all this other art lmao
Eventually.

Years
I did Alby's (Stinging Bea) character too. She had a less happy ending in the story but I am way happier with the drawing.

Spoiler:

Back