• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The "Pikachu" of the Generation

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
Years
  • What I mean by "Pikachu" is the main popular pokemon in each generation

Rules
    1. It must be a pokemon that was newly introduced in it's generation.
    2. You must supply a reason for why you think this.

Gen I: Well, Pikachu of Course
    Gen II: I would say Marill because there were Rumors of a Pikablu back in Gen I which was the exact same thing as marill
    Gen III: Absol cuz it was pretty popular if you ask me.
    Gen IV: Lucario, but I honestly can't think of any specific reason why
    Gen V: I have absolutely no idea

Your Turn!

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • Gen I - Pikachu, pokemon mascot highly marketed of course. Pokemon of Ash and Red both main characters of pokemon anime and manga respectively. The mascot of Pokemon Yellow. It was also featured in SSB and Melee along with Mewtwo(Melee only) who I think is highly popular as well.

Gen II - I really don't know about this generation, to meet it's between Togepi because it was on of Misty pokemon, Ampharos since me and my friends always like it. Or Larvitar family, I always fancied this family.

Gen III - Again many pokemon that I can think of. SkittyXWailord.
    Blaziken was features as early as the Silver conference by Harrison and demonstrated how powerful it was. Milotic I always thought was popular, it seemed like a Pokemon made for contests due to how it first evolution was evolved by Max Beauty. It was also featured by Wallace 8th Gym Leader in R/S and Champion in E. The Pseudo Legendaries Salamence and Metagross where also popular being featured by Elite Four Drake and Champion Steven respectively.

Gen IV - Lucario hands down. I don't know how many users on various forums I have seen with Lucario as their user name, that indicates it's popularity alone. Not just that but it was also featured in 8th Movie Lucario and the Mystery of Mew. And to add to that is a prominent pokemon on Gym Leader Maylene and Champion Cynthia Teams. On top of this it was featured in SSB Brawl.

Gen V - Since this is a new generation I can't exactly tell. I know a lot of people like Snivy which they still call Smugleaf. Zoroark just because of the fact that it was the first 5th Generation pokemon introduced, and it was featured in the 13th Movie Zoroark: Master of Illusions which even bears it's name. Also the ever fan favorite N has Zoroark as a prominent member of his final team. I have seen a lot of people support Shandera avys and sigs on various forums so this may indicate a slight following for this pokemon. Kibago family, one reason being it is Iris signature pokemon another being it's high attack power and that it is a Dragon pokemon of course. Like Shandera I find that I see many people have either Kirikizan in their avy or signature indicated a following for this pokemon. Wargle as I previously mentioned I have seen this featured in quite a bit of signatures. Also part if Cynthia BW team. Sazandora being a pseudo legendary it seems some what popular. Ulgamoth it is featured my Champion Adeku and again I have seen this in multiple peoples signatures thus indicating there is some sort of following with this pokemon.

matt steel

some randomer...
    Years
  • Gen 1 - Pikachu
    No matter how much that little rat annoys me now it was still the most popular pokemon of the generation.

Gen 2 - Togepi
    "Piiii" cutest...poke...ever

Gen 3 - Mudkip
    mud.....kip....mud....kip...

Gen 4 - Lucario
    For a pokemon to get its own movie it automatically wins.

Gen 5 - Smugleaf
    Snivy is not its name...>.>
    And i think its the mascot as who in theyre right mind is gunna chose one of the other two.

Years
  • In my opinion;

Generation 1 - Pikachu, of course. Featured heavily in the first season of the anime and follows you around in Yellow.
    As a side note, I think Mew and Mewtwo can be included in this for Gen1 as well. The first 2 movies were all about them and they're a big part of the game as well.

Generation 2 - Suicune. For me they put such a big emphasis on Suicune in GSC and in the anime about how legendary and elusive and stuff it is. So yeah. Gets my vote.

Generation 3 - Maybe the Lati twins? They had their own movie and were a big part of the gameplay after beating the E4.

Generation 4 - As above, Lucario, it had it's own movie.

Ayselipera

Gen I: I'm actually going to say Charizard. Yeah Pikachu was popular, but Charizard was the first true fan boy Pokemon. I remember everyone wanted a Charizard card. Everytime I bought a new pack of cards I would hope and pray a holographic Charizard would be nestled in there. In my mind and I think in the mind of most small children who watched the first season of the anime Charizard was the strongest and coolest Pokemon around. Mewtwo deserves some honorable mentions too.

Gen II: I'm in a toss up with Marill, Umbreon, and Heracross. Marill because it was like the water version of Pikachu + all the Pokegod rumors that went a long with it. Heracross I just remember being really popular. Umbreon once again had a huge fan boy appeal.

Gen III: Salamence seemed pretty popular then. It was the first Dragon to actually look like a vicious Dragon so I think that was part of the reason a lot of people dropped off of the Dragonite fan belt and jumped on Salamence's. Not to mention it's a pseudo-legendary so that adds on to it.

Gen IV: Once again I'm in a bit of a toss up with Lucario and Garchomp. I remember Lucario being really popular in the beginning, but then as the generation went on there was a Garchomp hype. It seemed to have a lot to do with Garchomp being amazing in competitive play.

Gen V: Well it's a bit too early to say, but as of now it seems to be between the starters Snivy and Oshawott. Snivy was popular right away while Oshawott didn't seem to be too popular until it's final evolution was revealed and then everyone was obsessed.

nm legend

Years
  • for me .....

pikachu

suicune

mudkip

lucario

pikachu again lol for the new generation

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Generation I: Pikachu - It's the mascot of the entire franchise
    Generation II: Pichu - It's the pre-evolved form of Pikachu
    Generation III: Mudkip - How'd it get so popular on the Internet?
    Generation IV: Lucario - It's the first non-legendary to get a starring role in a movie
    Generation V: Tie between Snivy and Zoroark - The former for being as popular as Mudkip over the Internet and the latter for being the second non-legendary to get a starring role in a movie.

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    Gen 1 - Pikachu
    No matter how much that little rat annoys me now it was still the most popular pokemon of the generation.

Gen 2 - Togepi
    "Piiii" cutest...poke...ever

Gen 3 - Mudkip
    mud.....kip....mud....kip...

Gen 4 - Lucario
    For a pokemon to get its own movie it automatically wins.

Gen 5 - Snivy
    Smugleaf is not its name...>.>
    And i think its the mascot as who in theyre right mind is gunna chose one of the other two.

I saw you mixed the names around, so I just fixed it for you :).

Gen.I: Mewtwo. It got it's own movie and is definately popular.

Gen.II: Lugia. It's definately the favor Pokemon of this generation.

Gen.III: Deooxys with all it's forms and uniqueness.

Gen.IV: Garchomp. It's super powerful and somehting everyone had in itheir team before it was elected Uber.

Gen.V: Genosect. It's really gaining popularity.

Isasapiens

A pine tree...
    Years
  • Gen I: Pikachu, of course. It was the mascot.
    Gen II: Tie between Marril and Togepi. (The former was made famous by the whole pikablu thing, while the second gained its popularity from the anime)
    Gen III: Mudkip (because of the meme) and Lati@s (Because many people used on the teams until they got to uber).
    Gen IV: Lucario (movie, also made several people think its a legendary) and Garchomp (same reason as Lati@s).
    Gen V: Snivy (meme), Zoroark (also from movie), Shanderaa (It's on the teams EVERYWHERE). (Though I like Snivy and its evos.)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Gen I: Clefairy was meant to have this spot! Pikachu
    Gen II: Marill
    Gen III: Minun/Plusle? They always appear together...they're cute electric rodents...they often have little cameos in films etc.
    Gen IV: Lucario (Starring role in film) / Munchlax (introduce early on, had a major role of comedy-relief in Destiny Deoxys alongside Minun and Plusle, before confirming its' relation to Snorlax by evolving xD)

Back