• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[PKMN OPEN] The Pokémon Trainer Academy (T) [Best Veteran 4Q '11]

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2018
    Amber Frost

Amber smiled slightly at this new information, finally seeing what may be an opening. It may well blow up in her face, but she was confident she could smooth it back over easily enough. "Oh, no reason..." she responded airily. After a brief pause, she gave Mark a knowing look. "Rivals, eh? Sure it's not anything... more than that?"

Valor immediately caught on to her train of thought, and was a little bit concerned at the bold move. He decided to leave it alone for now, but he had a bad feeling he'd have to intervene. "Perhaps. I have a feeling her first meeting with Sammy will be memorable, to put it lightly," he remarked slyly. He waved off Snype's concern with his wing. "We've all had a laugh at other's expense, I'm sure. Don't worry about it," he reassured the Pokemon. If only Snype knew just how true that was.

Megaman765

Really wants shiny Porygon Z:3
    Years
    Mark blinked a moment at that last question. "More then that...?" He took a moment to let that sink in and gave off a small blush. "O-oh! Wait! You think me and... that we're... oh no no no! W-we're just really good friends! Aha... really!" Mark said rather shyly. Until he seemed to finally catch on! It made sense now! Why he was asking him all of these questions, asking about his schedule, his lifestyle, the girl that he had been hanging out with all the time. Was she watching them? Mark didn't want to be rude and just blurt it out... he had to confirm it but at the same time he didn't want to let the girl down too late.

Snype snickered now. "Kehehe... looks like I was wrong. You might need to get ready to hold her back. I have a feeling Mark's gonna say something stupid." Snype said.

Mark looked around to make sure nobody else would hear. He didn't want to embarrass the girl. "Wait... All these questions... I think I'm kinda starting to catch on... the questions of me and Sammy..." He said quietly. "Correct me if I'm wrong... but are you..."

Snype tried his best to hold back his laughter but it was slowly escaping. Ohh he couldn't wait to see how this would turn out!

"...Are you asking me out? I hate to disappoint you but I'm already spoken for...I mean if that was what you were wondering." Mark said. It just made sense! Why else would she be so curious? Gossip? Well he'd soon find out which it was.

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2018
    Amber Frost

Valor facewinged as Amber's next move died on her lips. Honestly, she should have seen this coming. He knew exactly what she'd been playing at, but had a feeling she hadn't accounted for an obvious unfavorable outcome. A jab at him being unwillingly friendzoned by Sammy was a rather risky stab in the dark, especially when he was already suspicious. With a sigh, he watched the trainwreck unfold.

At first, Amber had thought she'd struck a nerve; stammering and blushing are usually a sign that somethng you said had an impact. But then everything got worse.

"I- What?! I wasn't- huh?" she stammered in complete confusion, turning red. The nerve of this kid! Her confusion turned to anger as she clenched her fists. Her mouth opened and closed worthlessly as she glared at him. "Seriously...?!" She didn't even know what to say. "Dude. No. Just...no."

Valor shook his head and sighed. If he had eyebrows, he would've raised them at Snype. "Your trainer... has a bit of an ego, it seems," he stated as fact, ignoring how offensive that could sound. "Does he always act this way when recieving friendly attention from females?" he asked in resignation. He watched Amber closely, sending out clicks more frequently than usual to moniter her position, making sure he was ready if things escalated from here.

Megaman765

Years
    Mark had a feeling it'd go like this. Great now he looks like a fool. He just gave a nervous laugh. "Ahaha... sorry sorry. Oh man I screwed up there! I've never had someone ask so many questions to me like this before... let along during class. Man I feel like a real imbecile... geez." Mark said, great... pissed off someone by saying something stupid. It wasn't WRONG of him to assume that... right?

Snypeheard what Valor said... funny enough, he nodded. "...Your not wrong...no he dosn't usually act like this... Mark's been acting like this lately... very subtle though..." Snype said, showing some concern. He should be laughing at this scene... what was up? " I guess to be fair, she was wrong with her own theory too right? Keheh. It's not like its a bad theory right? A girl walks up to you in the middle of class... asking about the girl he always hangs out with as well as what Mark does to spend his time? Kehehe... he's a little junior detective eh?" Snype joked.

Mark continued to stammer a bit. "Man... I really made this awkward. I uh... well I guess I don't have a whole lot of an excuse huh? Sorry for throwing out assumptions like that." Mark said, pretty expecting to be slapped or something.

---
    Clay
    Meanwhile back with Clay, thinks were alot more tame... "Ah of course! We can take the personal elevator up there. Its pretty close to the classroom. I have to watch the students that are still down here though so I can't really take you up there just yet... hmm..." Clay was thinking how to handle this little situation. "Ah I know. I'm sure one of our workers here can help you with that." Clay called down one of the many Excadrill that were digging things up. "Just take the personal elevator over there. He'll lead you in the right direction." Clay explained.

Last edited:

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
    Years
    Lysandros Durand (self defense class): A way to keep up the rush
    Lysandros was standing in line as Maylene had said, waiting for the lesson to start as he suddenly heard a noise that sounded like 2 students having an argument. 'At the start of class? Really?' He thought to himself, 'Can't you be a little more quiet, at least? Gosh, what a scene.'

"Now, i want you to drop down and give-Oh?"
    Maylene stopped as she heard the argument from inside the line.

Now...look what we have here guys! It appears that there is something happening between you 2 girls! I guess i'll have to take a change of plans." She turned to the girls with a grin. "I'm not gonna be one of those teachers to tell you to "Hug it out" or talk this through. Her grin grew slightly bigger as she giggled a bit and pointed at the 2 students, "...please step forward and fight! The girl that wins will get a surprise!" She pulled a small case out of her bag that appeared to have a pokeball in it.

"As i said, please step forward and take positions! I promise it'll be fun for you to battle, and fun for us to watch!"

Lysandros was shocked, 'This chick is crazy, no matter how beautiful she is! Is she gonna make us beat each other up everytime we won't be quiet...?' he wondered.
    He was pretty confident in his abilities to fight anyone of the students, but remembered he should never underestimate the underdogs.
    He opened his mouth to speak, but seeing Maylene glaring at him, he got a bit startled and just sat down as the 2 girls took opposite sides of the class.

Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    Samantha Felicity Cooper - All The Cool Kids Cut

Sammy took a quick look around. It seemed like Shawn was having another chat with Clay while Mark and the girl with the Zubat - which was a pretty cool Pokemon, she had to admit - were still deep in conversation. Although class was still in session she felt like she'd achieved all she could down here, and she could make better use of the time by preparing for the tournament. She thought about letting Mark know but if he spent a few minutes trying to figure out where she'd gone... well, that was a few minutes she was training and he wasn't. She left instructions with the Excadrill to make sure Clay didn't worry or start an insane underground search party for her then hung her Dowsing Machine and miners helmet back up in the equipment shed. Slipping into the private elevator while Shawn and Clay were still talking she pressed the button and began ascending back to the surface. It was reasonably quick, so Shawn wouldn't have to wait for it for more than a minute.

She looked at her distorted reflection in the metal surface of the lift and fixed her hair a little, but the miners hat hadn't really done too much damage. The only question now was what to do with herself before the tournament... she had the fossil to figure out, but she'd decided to hold off on that for now. It had waited potentially thousands of years, a few more hours until after the tournament wouldn't do it any harm. Focusing on the Pokemon she already had and knew well seemed like a better tactic for ensuring her victory. But with that in mind perhaps it was to give some of her Pokemon a little help. Mark had used one of his TM's to teach Cubone Brick Break, which had proven to be invaluable not only as an attack but also to Cubone developing his confidence. It might be time to give a few of her other Pokemon the same boost.

By the time she left the elevator, and kindly sent it back down for anyone else that wanted to use it, she'd made up her mind to head into Oak Town. As well as finding some decent TM's someone there was bound to know what was up with the strange rock she'd just found. A short walk through the hallways soon brought her out of the main doors and onto the road to Oak Town. Although it was only a short journey she decided to send out one of her Pokemon for protection. Team Rocket hadn't been brazen enough to attack anyone on the main road between the Academy and town yet but that didn't mean it couldn't happen. Plus she wanted a chance for a chat.

Unclipping the painted Pokeball from her belt she sent out Crawdaunt, the Rogue Pokemon stretching and stamping his feet happily. Sammy laughed and stuck his Pokeball back to her belt before rubbing the star on his head affectionately. "Hey there, you big lunk. Fancy taking a walk with me? It's been a while."

Crawdaunt closed his eyes and snapped his claws in a display of agreement, stomping along beside her on his elephantine feet as she started walking. Crawdaunt, or rather Corphish, had been her first ever Pokemon and her most faithful companion, but they just hadn't gotten the time to hang out together since he'd evolved. Although she had to slow her pace a little so he could keep up she didn't mind losing the time. As desperate as she might be to win the tournament her Pokemon still came first, were still the most important part of her new life here at the Academy.

"How're you feelin' big guy? Likin' the new duds?"
    "Daunt, Crawdaunt." He answered affirmatively, giving his powerful claws a snap to show off.
    "I'm glad," she smiled, "I want you to be happy. I'd heard sometimes a Pokemons personality can change after evolving, but you seem the same to me."
    "Daaaaaunt." He agreed.
    "But I was thinking we should mark the occassion somehow. I mean, you're fully evolved now. You're a tank, and you're obviously the best Crawdaunt around." She smirked. He'd always responded to flattery.
    "Crawcraw!"
    "So how about a name? Something of your own, to show you're not just a regular Crawdaunt."
    "Craaaw..." He... crawed. He seemed interested in the idea, but wary of any name Sammy might pick for him.
    "I was thinking of something like... Truffles. Or Snuggles."

Crawdaunt stopped walking and stared at Sammy flatly from his sunken eyes. Evidently he wasn't impressed by either suggestion and wanted her to know it. Truffles! She was lucky he didn't ViceGrip her head right there in the middle of the road. Sammy took one look at his expression and burst into a fit of laughter and snorts, shaking her head. She knew he wouldn't take kindly to either of those names!

"I'm kidding you putz. I was actually thinking of Elvis. How does that suit you? It's strong but it's got style too, just like you. Now be honest, I want you to be happy with this. I don't want you stuck with a name you're not totally cool with."

Crawdaunt seemed to take a second to think it over, eyes narrowed at Sammy in case this was another one of her jokes. Satisfied that she was serious about the name he made a sound of total indifference and started walking beside her again, holding his head proudly so that the star glinted in the sunlight. Sammy laughed again and patted him on the back - he really hadn't changed at all since evolving.

"Elvis it is then. But listen man, there's a good chance we might be battling Mark again today. I know you didn't get a swing at him last time, but I'll be counting on you if it does happen. You'd have a pretty serious advantage over Snype because of your typings, and he loves using that little guy when his backs against the wall. Think you could take him?"
    Elvis waved a claw dismissively, indicating he didn't think Snype would be a problem.
    "Alright then. It's cause there's this big tournament today, so we might not even end up battling him at all. But I like our chances today, I think we can take the whole thing if we're smart about it. That's the motto for today, got it? Fight smart."
    "Craw Daunt."

Sammy nodded. Fight smart. So long as they were able to do that there was no reason why she couldn't win the whole damn tournament. And if she didn't get to battle Mark then some training with Gary Oak would give her the leg up she needed to finally take him down. She'd come a long way since that first battle against Mark and she hated the idea of still being seen as that weak, inexperienced Trainer. Today was the day to make him realise she could beat him any day of the week.

Before long Sammy and Elvis arrived in Oak Town where she recalled him to his Pokeball. It was great that he'd evolved, but it did make doorways a little trickier than when he'd been a scuttling little Corphish. She headed straight for the PokeMart and pulled the strange stone out from her bag, letting it tumble out from the handkerchief and onto the counter beside the till. The attendant, a man his his thirties with thinning red hair and a fairly impressive moustache looked from it to her.

"Hey. Uh, I was wonderin' if you could tell me what this is? I found it, and so far all it's been good for is burning my fingers."

The attendant grunted and pulled a magnifying glass out from under the counter, holding it up to his eye and squinting at the rock for a minute. He held out one hand to feel the heat the stone was radiating before grunting and setting the magnifying glass down.

"That there's a Heat Rock, no doubt about it."
    Well derp. She could have figured that out. "Right, yeah, it's a rock that gives off heat. But what is it?"
    "It's a Heat Rock, like I said. It's something your Pokemon can use, makes it stay sunny for longer."
    "Stay sunny?"
    "Yeah. Like when you use Sunny Day, a Heat Rock makes it last longer."
    She stared at him blankly, feeling more and more stupid by the second. "You've lost."
    He sighed and crossed his arms, not impressed with having to explain himself. "Sunny Day, or the ability Drought, makes the battlefield seem real sunny, even if you're indoors or underground. That can make all sorts of stuff happen. Fire moves get stronger, water moves get weaker, some moves like Synthesis or Morning Sun are more effective, Thunder do-"
    "Hey!" She exclaimed. "My Ponyta knows Morning Sun, it helps it heal, right?"
    "Right. Well if it was sunny when your Ponyta used Morning Sun, it'd heal even more. And it'd do more damage with its fire moves and take less damage from water moves. And with that Heat Rock you've got there the sun would last longer."
    "That's great! When does Ponyta learn Sunny Day?"
    "Uh. I don't think it does, y'know. You'll need to head on over to the TM shop for something like that."
    "Awesome, thanks!" She excitedly bundled the Heat Rock back into the handkerchief and dropped it into the bag again before dashing out.
    "Didn't even buy nothin'..." The attendant muttered.

This was perfect, absolutely perfect! There was a move that would make Ponyta stronger, protect her from her Water weakness and make her recovery move more effective! Not only that but she'd stumbled across an item that would make the move even better! This was fate, or serendipity, or freakin' good luck or something that she stumble across all of this on the day of the tournament. Ponyta was about to become a much more devastating opponent in battle. She could set up with Sunny Day, then lock in with Fire Spin and follow up with stronger attacks, using Morning Sun as when it was nee-...

Oh. Oh no. This was terrible. Things couldn't get any worse than this.

She was starting to think like Mark.​

WooliestSteam

A Little Wooly Piece of Steam
    Years
    The Pokémon Trainer Academy (T) [Best Veteran 4Q '11]
    The Pokémon Trainer Academy (T) [Best Veteran 4Q '11]

Liam - Self Defense Class
    Worse by the Minute

Liam removed his jacket and shoes and then handed both his poke balls to Maylene. As much as he disliked the idea of her hanging on to his pokémon, he had to play along if this lesson was to move forward. Liam then proceeded to follow Maylene's instructions as he lazily trudged along the floor and stood behind Lysandros.

Man I just HAD to go to class today! Couldn't just stay in bed … Oh no, I had to be a good boy today and show up for class! thought Liam as he mocked himself while frowning heavily. He was about to continue venting about this class to himself until his train of thought was interrupted by a commotion down at the back of the room. Holly and Kayla were at it again.

Nice to see those two haven't changed added Liam as he shook his head and let out a sigh. Kayla seemed to be the calmer one of the two and mouthed the word 'sorry' to Maylene when the two girls had finished arguing. Liam decided not to stare and turned back around in the line, facing towards Maylene. He expected the apology was enough and that Maylene would simply continue with the lesson. He couldn't be more wrong. Maylene wanted the two girls to fight each other! Liam stood with his mouth wide open. Maylene wanted two students who caused a little disruption at best to fight each other! Was this teacher insane? Liam knew how close Kayla and Holly were despite their arguments. There was no way both girls would agree to this.

Liam shook his head and sat down by himself. "This isn't right" he muttered as he looked up at Maylene. He brought his head back down and started to stare at the ground.

This is a joke! The sooner I'm outta here, the better. Over by the area where Maylene was keeping the poke balls, one of them started to rattle and soon out popped Kirlia. She looked around the room with intrigue before darting off to the side in order to hide when she seen all the people in the room. Kirlia hid amongst the training equipment in the room and watched Liam carefully as he continued to stare at the ground.​

Nillemi

Under my Rock
    Years
    Ellie Ward - Classroom

Ellie simply watches as another student is beaten flat on his back. "If that's all that gonna happen in this class how are we supposed to learn anything?" he quietly thought to herself, Careful not to draw any unwanted attention to herself. "I guess I could try tripping her like my dad taught me but I don't know how I'll manage that..."

"My name is Maylene, and as you may or may not know, i am a fighting type gym leader of the Sinnoh region."

"Fighting type gym leader? Why so specific with the type?" She quickly wondered to herself.

"I will be teaching you and your Pokemon how to defend yourself in case of a battle, and of course, keeping up good sportsmanship. I am warning you: This class is gonna be tough. You may crack down under the pressure, but i am not letting any students go! Alright, hand me any pokemon you got, then please take off your shoes and any form of clothing like hoodies or vests, and any accessory such as watches, necklaces and... knives"

Ellie made it a point to put everything in her bag a slow as possible before she turned it in to the front of the room, taking her place as far back in the line as she can manage. "Is she really gonna make us fight like this? This is stupid." She rants to herself looking around the room. It's very obvious she isn't the only one feeling this way a many other people in the class seem stirred up.

Two people in particular stood out as they bickered in the middle of the room. "Geez, They don't even need her to start fighting..." Ellie whispered under her breath. That is, Until she came up to them and proved her wrong.

"I'm not gonna be one of those teachers to tell you to "Hug it out" or talk this through. Her grin grew slightly bigger as she giggled a bit and pointed at the 2 students, "...please step forward and fight! The girl that wins will get a surprise!"

"Oh you've got to be kidding me! It was a joke!" she thought to herself as a fight was being started in the middle of the room. "It's not too late... I could probably grab my bag and leave before this gets any worse."

siiadams

Got 3DS back...1822-1106-0866
    Years
    Shawn Williams - Raikou Dorm
    Clay's Cavern

Shawn nodded and smiled, thanking him before walking behind the Excadrill that headed for a smaller elevator. "This must be the one Clay used to get down here," he thought as they were waiting for the platform to come back. They weren't waiting long before he heard the noises of the elevator coming down and stopping. The pokemon stepped inside and Shawn was quick to follow. Almost immediately, the elevator rocketed up almost as fast as the one he used to get down there. He didn't say anything, but instead pulled out the fossil and looked at it with a faraway gaze, trying to imagine the pokemon that it could be. Was it huge or tiny? And what type was it?

It wasn't long before the sensation of stopping wrested him from his thoughts as both he and the pokemon exited the elevator and walked out of the classroom. Silently, the Excadrill walked a couple of doors down from the classroom and pointed with its large drill hand.. This must be the place, then. "Thanks for your help, Excadrill," he said with a smile, to which the pokemon nodded and started back to the classroom. Feeling his excitement and curiosity rising faster than the elevator he was on, Shawn quickly entered the room.

The fairly large laboratory he just walked into seemed incredible, with a few scientists walking around or tinkering with equipment. Shawn was awestruck with everything he was seeing. Soon, however, a skinny scientist with round spectacles and a pristine white lab coat approached him with a look of concern on his face. "Young man," he stated with a sense of authority, "students are not allowed inside this room without teacher approval." He started to try and escort Shawn out, but he was quick on the uptake and quickly explained that Clay wanted him to come up here to reanimate his fossil. At the mention of Clay, the scientist started to get a little pale, but quickly recovered and gave a big smile that seemed to stretch his face more than it should have.

"Ahhh, Clay!" he said with complete reverence, "I understand now. So you want to reanimate the pokemon from this fossil?" he asked as he took the rock from Shawn, who nodded in confirmation. "Yes, sir," he responded to the scientist, being as polite as he possibly can. The scientist looked at the fossil and looked back at Shawn, "Well, young man, the processes may have been sped up, but you'll still have to wait about an hour for this to be complete. If you want, you have our permission to stay and wait for our work to be complete." He pointed to an empty corner of the room with a rather dingy looking chair. "Feel free to have a seat there, but be careful not to touch anything!" he warned.

Shawn nodded and thanked the scientist as he quickly made his way to the corner and sat down, watching the scientists hard at work. He was so eager for his pokemon it was getting more difficult to wait.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2018
    Amber Frost

Amber continued glaring as she processed what information she'd learned. She'd learned both of their names, for one. She also discovered that the two were in fact just friends. Of course, this didn't necessarily mean Sammy was available of course... and somehow this stupid kid managed to get a girlfriend. Poor girl. All in all, she'd learned quite a bit. Even though it had blown up in her face, she'd gotten pretty much everything she needed, except perhaps future opportunities to torment him.

Valor mulled over the Sableye's words, sensing his concern. As far as Valor cared, it just meant another possible weakness for the boy. Shame it would probably ruin this small budding friendship with Mark's Pokemon. "Indeed. She needs to work on her approach, he was far too suspicious when she made her move," he clicked thoughtfully. He looked up again as Amber turned on her heel and started to stomp away.

"Come on Val, let's just go," she called angrily to her Pokemon. Valor was puzzled; she didn't even slap him, let alone a full punch to the face like he expected. Looks like she won't have the right to tell him he's going soft for quite some time.

"Odd... she's gone to blows for far less in the past. It seems both of our trainers are acting strangely. Perhaps it's time for us to become the "junior detectives", as you say," he said, still quite confused. He turned to Snype and held out a wing for a wingshake. "Farewell Snype. I have a feeling the next time we meet, it will be on the battlefield as enemies."

Megaman765

Years
    Snype gave a playful chuckle, reaching his hand out to shake the Zubat's wing. "Kehehe. Likewise. Looking forward to it. Might be good to keep an eye on our trainers." Snype said

Mark seemed a bit dissapointed that she just walked off on him. Well, goes to show Mark's bad luck. She seemd kinda odd though... it wasn't wrong of him to make that kind of assumption! Maybe she was just shy about it? Mark decided to quit thinking about it. At least he wasn't being badgered any further about his whole life story.

Clay shouted through the cavern. "Alright everyone! It's about that time. Finish digging up whatever you've found and after that, it's about time to head back up to the surface! If you have any questions to come ask me!" Clay said. Well better now then never. Mark headed on over to Clay to ask about his findings. He knew he had a fossil so no need to delve into that.

"Hey Clay. I found some weird rock while mining. It doesn't look like anything special but my Dowsing Machine just starts to lose it whenever I point toward it. Any idea what this is?" Mark asked, showing the perfectly round wrong. Clay started to look closer at it.

"...Well... this is embaressin' but I have no idea what that is... your Dowsing Machine is reacting to it? There might be something under all that hardened rock. Could be a tiny fossil for all we know. Here why don'tcha take it over to the lab and we can take a look at it? I overheard you found a fossil so you can kill two birds with one stone at least." Clay said.

Mark nodded and headed on over to the elevator, waiting for the rest of the class to finish up. Now he was especially curious what this rock really was!

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2018
    Amber Frost

Valor nodded at the other Pokemon before taking to the air. He navigated his way over to Amber, who was still fuming, and landed on her shoulder. She was muttering angrily to herself, and Valor quickly tucked his head into his wings in preparation for a possible angry outburst. Just when he thought she'd boil over, Clay made his announcement. With an angry sigh, Amber trudged back through the tunnels in the direction of the elevators.

When she got there, she watched Mark walk away after talking to Clay. Amber went to go stand moodily in the corner to wait for class to end, but then she remembered she had something she wanted to ask Clay. She took a deep breath and walked over to Clay.

"You're an expert on Ground types right? Where can I catch one of those?" she asked Clay, pointing to one of the Excadrill wandering about.

Megaman765

Years
    Clay walked over to Amber to answer her question. The other students were just about finishing up. "Ah, them? Well you might not have much luck catching an Excadrill, but their previous evolution, Drillbur tend to be pretty common in deep caverns. You might have some luck if you explore the mountains. They're usually digging around in there." Clay explained.

The class would start to head to the elevator, returning their Dowsing Machines for the next class to use. Mark waited on the corner of the lift as Clay headed over there. Once everybody was inside, he'd press the button and within a minute, everyone would be back on the surface

Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    Samantha Felicity Cooper - The Thick Club Fiasco

Sammy had spent longer in the TM shop than she'd initially expected. Before she'd even started looking at the TM's she'd had to buy a case to keep them in, settling for a dark blue number that now rested inside her bag. It was something she'd probably keep in her dorm room most of the time, there was no need to carry the TM's with her everywhere she went. After that she'd gotten Sunny Day, TM Number 11, with little hesitation and used it to teach Ponyta the weather altering move. Mark would be in for a big suprise when they battled, he'd never expect her to have such an involved strategy. She spent quite a bit of time browsing after that and finally picked up another TM, Number 83, and used it one of her Pokemon to give it an extra layer of strategy too. She'd nearly started browsing again before she realised that the case and both TM's had done a thorough job of clearing out her funds. She hadn't overspent, but she sure as hell had a lot less cash than when she started. She reluctantly chose to be sensible and left the store, already musing on ways to drum up some cash for more TM's...

She checked her watch and realised she probably still had enough time before the tournament started to get some more preparation done. She could train her Pokemon and test out their new moves but she couldn't stop thinking about what Clay had mentionned for Cubone... a Thick Club. What was the point in asking a Gym Leader for advice on his specialist Pokemon Type if you didn't listen? She hadn't been fortunate enough to find one while mining, but Clay had suggested that wild Cubone or Marowak sometimes already had Thick Clubs. She was confident that her team could handle a wild Marowak with ease, even if it did have a Thick Club, so she decided to head towards the mountainous regions of the island and try her luck. Even if she wasn't able to find what she was after a few battles against wild Pokemon would help her team grow stronger.

Having been to that area of the island twice before - once en route to the volcano and once to attack Team Rocket - she was familair with how to get there. Cutting through the fields around Oak Town made the trip a lot faster and it wasn't very long before she found herself steadily trekking uphill as the terrain became more rocky and barren. It could take her hours to reach the heart of the region, but she felt like Cubone and Marowak were more likely to favour the open areas rather than risk confronting more dangerous Pokemon like Rhyperior that would lurk in the most treacherous areas. Still, it was a good thing she'd worn good boots.

Stopping to catch her breath she shifted the egg case into the crook of one arm and pulled the sandy and white Pokeball from her belt, tapping the central button once to enlarge it and again to release the Pokemon held inside. Light poured out of the capsule and came together on the ground to form Cubone, who looked around inquisitively.

"Hey little guy," Sammy smiled, "Could you do me a favour? I'm trying to find some wild Cubone or Marowak to get a better bone club for you. Think you could help me find them?"

Cubone looked from Sammy to his bone club, not entirely sure what was wrong with the one he had. But he trusted Sammy implicitly and nodded, turning around and setting off in a seemingly random direction, tapping his club on the ground as he went. Sammy shrugged and clipped his pokeball back to her belt before taking the egg case in both arms again, following Cubones lead. She figured if any Pokemon would be able to figure out where Cubone and Marowak might live in the wild it'd be another Cubone. Although come to think of it she didn't know if her Cubone had ever been wild or if he was hatched from an egg in captivity...

She followed Cubone for what felt like an excruciatingly long time, but was actually only around twenty minutes. Thoughts were starting to enter her head that Cubone did not, in fact, know where he was going, since he was leading her on a fairly meandering journey that wandered back and forth across itself a few times. She was about to suggest they try again another time when she noticed that Cubone was getting some sort of response to tapping his bone club on the ground.

For every tap he made, another would answer from somewhere in front of them. Tap - tap. Tap - tap. Tap - tap. As they walked she was sure the sound was growing closer, so they must be on the right track. Cubone hadn't known where to find others of his species, but he had known how to find them, this was apparently some sort of signal that they used to find each other in the wild. She grinning broadly and put one hand to her belt. She had full confidence in Cubone, but a Marowak might be more than he could handle if that was what they found.

CRACK!

Sammy and Cubone both stopped at the response to his last tap, much louder and more aggressive than the others. They were in a reasonably open area, surrounded by low rocks and boulders with a narrow cavemouth about a hundred yards northeast of their position. A Marowak crested a small rise ahead of them, a very impressive looking bone club held in its paw and rested against its shoulder nonchalantly. It looked down at them and, upon spotting Sammy, glared and let out a low growl. Cubone took a step back towards Sammy, evidently intimidated by coming up against his evolved form.

"It's cool Cubone, I'm here," she reassured him. "Uh, hey! Mr. Marowak. I'm sure you're a fine upstanding Pokemon, but I'm going to need to... well, I guess I'm going to be mugging you today. Hand over the club, bub, or Cubone here is going to get medieval."
    "Bone!?" Cubone looked up at her, not very happy about the idea of having to fight the Marowak.
    "Marrrrrrrrrowak. Wak wak marowak." The Marowak snarled, walking slowly towards them. It dropped the Thick Club from his shoulder and let one end of it trail along the ground beside him.
    "Boooooone," Cubone wailed, starting to tremble.

Sammy took a deep breath. Cubone had been doing so well lately, but this was a real test for him. As sensible as it would be for her to send out Elvis or Pancham right now she felt that this was an important moment for Cubone. If he could fight this Marowak, if he could earn this Thick Club, then his rehabilitation would be largely complete. But they had to stick with the process, Cubone wouldn't stand a chance without calming himself down first.

"Cubone, use Focus Energy."
    "Cu! Cu bone bone!" He shook his head, eyes wide and locked on the slowly approaching Marowak.
    "Come on buddy, we've done this before. Relax your thoughts. Picture yourself winning."
    "Cuuuboooone!"
    "We've done it in training. We battled that Ditto, and you won. We fought off Team Rocket together. You can do this, I believe in you."

She didn't mention that was also starting to get a bit nervous. That Marowak looked like he was only taking its time while it figured out which one of their skulls to cave in first, and she believed it could do it too.

Cubone looked up at her, then back to the Marowak. He took a deep, shaking breath and closed his eyes, starting to tap his bone club against the ground, building rhythm. Tap... tap... tap... tap... tap... tap... tap... tap... tap.. tap... tap.. tap tap... tap tap.. tap tap.. tap tap.. tap tap tap tap taptaptaptap CRACK!

Cubone's eyes shot open and he lifted his club in both hands, staring down the Marowak. Marowak sneered and kept advancing, finding Cubone no more a threat than it had before. It was about to find out just how wrong it was. Sammy grinned broadly - Cubone had done it. That Thick Club was theirs.

"Cubone - Bonemerang!"

Cubone drew his arm back and hurled his bone club at Marowak, the weapon spinning end over end as it flew through the air. Marowak lifted its Thick Club and contemptously deflected the attack, sending the bone flying to one side. It circled around and came hurtling towards the back of Marowaks head, but it was familair with its own signature attack and ducked at the right moment, evading harm completely. The club came back towards Cubone who caught it in his right paw.

...Oh crap.

Marowak charged forward, Thick Club held high, and called out a battlecry against Cubone. Sammy quickly dodged to the side to make sure she didn't get caught in the middle of their battle - she didn't want to have to explain that she'd had her bones broken by other bones, it was just too stupid a reason to end up in hospital. "Cubone, Bone Club, then Headbutt!" She called out as she tried to regain her footing.

Cubone swung his club and connected with Marowaks, the two weapons striking each other with a sharp crack. But Marowak hadn't used Bone Club, it had used Bone Rush and was able to quickly lash out with another two strikes, knocking Cubone across his skull helmet and jabbing him in the stomach. The Lonely Pokemon fell back a step then pushed forward, slamming his head into Marowaks jaw. There was a horrid sound as the two skulls connected and Marowak recoiled before snarling and lashing out with another Bone Rush flurry. Cubone was able to deflect some of the strikes with Bone Club attacks, but most of the hits connected and were clearly wearing Cubone down. They were going to have to try something different.

"Try Brick Break Cubone!"

Cubone narrowed his eyes from behind his helmet and dodged to the left, narrowly missing another strike from Marowak. Crouching low he leapt directly up into the air and brought his club down in a two handed strike atop Marowaks head. There was an almighty crunch that echoed throughout the area - a critical hit thanks to Focus Energy - and Marowak fell backwards to the ground. Cubone landed awkwardly, staggering a few steps backwards and forwards as he regained his balance.

There was a moments silence as they both waited to see if Marowak was defeated or just dazed when the earth began to shake. Cubone fell over and Sammy struggled to keep her balance, desperate to do so for the sake of the egg. Was this an earthquake? Was it natural or had Marowak somehow caused it, could Marowak even learn Earthquake? It subsided as quickly as it had come on and Sammy looked around wildly to see if there were any Wailord falling from the sky or Magmortar erupting from the ground to explain the occurence.

Marowak was getting back to its feet, using the Thick Club as support, and threw his head back. "MAROWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK!"

That was probably not a good thing. None of this was going the way she'd expected. Find a wild Marowak, take its Thick Club, go home, win the tournament. Earthquakes and unsettling screams hadn't been part of the equation, but Sammy had never been too good at maths. From the rise Marowak had appeared from another four or five Marowak appeared, along with a half dozen Cubone. They came charging forward like a mongul horde, waving their clubs in the air and crying out for vengeance. At least it sounded like a cry for vengeance. Maybe it was a cry for friendship or better wi-fi?

Nope, definitely vengeance.

Cubone took one look at the oncoming horde before turning back to the original Marowak, striking out another Bone Club. Marowak took the hit in its side and struggled to its feet, weakened but still willing to fight. Stupid Focus Energy had done too good a job, Cubone wasn't able to even feel a sensible amount of fear and run away!

"♥♥♥♥ ♥♥♥♥ ♥♥♥♥ ♥♥♥♥," Sammy babbled, fumbling at her belt for Pokeballs. "Elvis, Shuppet, Ponyta, Pancham help Cubone!" She grabbed all of her pokeballs and tossed them into the air, releasing her Pokemon in a semi-circle in front of her. The oncoming Ground type invasion didn't even slow down, they just continued their charge and were halfway towards Cubone and Marowak by now, who continued to trade blows like dueling samurai.

Elvis took one look at the situation and answered the battle cries with one of his own, stomping forwards and snapping his claws. Pancham watched the much larger Pokemon rush in with stars in his eyes and went rushing after him, letting out a tiny battlecry of his own. He tripped in his haste to join Elvis but quickly scrambled back to his feet. Ponyta, never one to be outdone, reared up on her hind legs and neighed, diamond hard hooves flashing in the sunlight. She slammed back onto all fours and charged forwards, her gallop easily catching up to Elvis and Pancham.

And Shuppet just floated there, staring at it all like a pervert at a bath house.
    "Shuppet, move! Help the others!"
    He rotated on the spot, bobbing up and down as he stared at Sammy, before floating closer to her and turning back to watch the action with her.
    "Wh-... you're protecting me?"
    Shuppet gave no sign that she was right or wrong, but something in her gut told Sammy that she was right. She wished he would help the others instead but it was touching to see some proof that Shuppet actually cared about her. Hell, it was nice to see Shuppet actually knew what was going on around it.

Things were getting ugly, and fast. Cubone was still battling with the first Marowak, neither Pokemon willing to sacrifice any ground to the other. Elvis slammed into the front line of charging Marowak and Cubone, his bulk doing a lot of the work for him and making him the clear centre of the melee. Pancham stuck close to Elvis, taking down any Cubone that tried to attack him from behind with quick punches, constantly checking to see if Elvis was watching. He wasn't. Ponyta charged around the outskirts, slamming her hooves down with Stomp attacks on the Cubone and Marowak that were thrown clear from the core of the battle by Elvis' massive claws. There was too much going on for her to issue individual commands, and if she tried to recall her Pokemon now and make a run for it she was sure a Bonemerang would take her head off before she got two feet.

The noise from the battle was tremendous. Cries from Cubone, Marowak, Crawdaunt, Pancham and Ponyta were punctuated by the crack of bone on bone, the snapping of Elvis' claws and the slam of Ponyta's hooves onto the earth. Sammy's team seemed to have the advantage, but they were all taking hits. It wouldn't be long before one of them went down and the tide would turn in favour of the Marowak tribe, but Sammy wasn't sure what else she could do. She was about to re-try urging Shuppet to join the fray when the ground began to shake again, more violently this time. The battle paused while all the Pokemon involved struggled just to stay on their feet. Clearly this wasn't being caused by the Marowak or Cubone, they seemed as distressed by it as Sammy did.

There was a thunderous roar and an Onix ripping its way out of the cave to the northeast, bellowing towards the sky before making a direct charge for their battle, the Land Snakes rocky body tearing up the terrain as it went. Apparently that had been the cause of the earthquakes, and Sammy had a terrible feeling all the noise they'd been making had woken the thing up. As much as Sammy didn't want to deal with an Onix right now she wanted to deal with a grumpy sleep deprived Onix even less.

The Cubone and Marowak had the good sense to realise no amount of territorial pride was worth this kind of trouble and started to retreat in the opposite direction to the Onix. Sammy's panic stricken brain tried to figure out if she could actually outrun one of these monsters when she noticed her Cubone was running off with the others! No, not with, after. Stupid Focus Energy! He was trying to chase down the Marowak he'd been fighting! She couldn't just leave him out here.

"Uuuuuugh SCREW THIS! Elvis - Bubblebeam, Ponyta - Flame Charge, Pancham - Karate Chop, Shuppet don't you even THINK of just floating there like an old plastic bag use Nightshade!"

To her Pokemons credit, and perhaps Sammys as a Trainer, none of them hesitated. Crawdaunt levelled both of his claws at the oncoming Onix and fired a steady stream of stinging bubbles at the Onix's head while Ponyta charged directly for the Rock types body, wreathed in flame. Onix roared as the bubbles began popping against it and lowered its head, slamming it straight into the charging Ponyta. Ponyta was knocked backwards, sliding along the ground and didn't seem like she was going to be getting to her feet anytime soon. Pancham danced around the Onix's continuing charge and chopped a tiny paw across the passing tail, causing Onix to bellow in anger and whip around to face his tiny attacker. Shuppets eyes transformed into a kaleidoscope of dark colours before firing a zig-zagging red and purple beam that struck Onix in the side. It lashed out with its tail and caught Pancham, lifting the Playful Pokemon off his feet and sending him careening into a nearby rock.

This was a complete disaster, her Pokemon were getting hurt. She couldn't risk the battle going on any longer and her Pokemon becoming seriously injured, but if she ran she'd be abandoning Cubone while he chased after that Marowak. That only left her with one option, even if she wasn't completely sure about it. She reached into her bag and pulled out the first pokeball she could find, pulling her arm back and throwing it as best she could while holding the egg case. Fortunately it was a big target and her throw connected - just. The ball bounced off of Onix's hide and popped open, sucking Onix inside before snapping shut and falling to the ground.

Sammy had caught her Shuppet and her Ponyta in the wild, so she knew what to expect. The ball should shake back and forth a few times as the Pokemon tried to escape. If the Pokemon was able to, it would pop back out. And if it couldn't the ball would give a distinct click to let her know the capture had been a success. But this one started bouncing, the Onix was trying so desperately to escape that the ball was jumping and rolling all over the place. She watched it, her heart trying to thunder through her chest, as the struggles began to subside. Soon it was just rolling around, then just wobbling the way a Pokeball normally would on a capture.

Shake shake shake...

Shake shake...

Shake...

Click.

It took a second for it to sink in - she'd caught an Onix. What the hell was going to do with an Onix? She didn't know a damn thing about them, she'd grown up on the ocean where, unsuprisingly, Onix were a rare sight. She slowly walked towards the now motionless Pokeball, trying to understand how all of this had happened, when she got a close enough look at what pokeball she'd thrown.

It was a Timer Ball, the only one she owned. The timer on it must have activated when Cubone first started battling that Marowak, meaning that by the time she'd thrown it at the Onix it had been charged up as high as it could go. None of her other Pokeballs probably could have held the Onix in, not even the Heavy Ball she'd hoped she would pull out. She stooped down and picked up the Timer Ball, clipping it onto her belt. She still had no idea what she was going to do with an Onix, but it might come in handy. She went to Ponyta first, checking on the fallen horse. She was out cold but didn't seem too badly hurt so Sammy returned her to her pokeball before rushing towards Pancham. He was still awake but was so dazed he kept falling over every time he tried to stand up. He went into his pokeball as well.

Elvis and Shuppet were still good to go, but it was clear Elvis had taken the majority of the beating from the wild Marowak and Cubone. Despite his protests she returned him too but kept Shuppet released. The Ghost type hadn't taken any hits and she might need his protection while she figured out her next move.

"Cubone."

Sammy turned around, trying to find the source of the sound, and discovered that her Cubone was standing behind her, waiting to be noticed. In his right paw was the Thick Club, in perfect condition even if it did look a little big for him. His left paw held the tail of the Marowak that he had apparently dragged back with him, the more evolved Pokemon beaten to a pulp and unconscious.

"Uh... good job Cubone..." Sammy said hesitantly. All of this was becoming a little much for her - she should have just bought another TM like a normal teenage girl with no concept of a budget.
    "Cubone." Her Pokemon nodded before his eyes rolled into the back of his head and he fell forward onto his stomach, out for the count.​

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2018
    Amber Frost

Amber nodded at Clay's explanation. She hadn't really thought about the details of training one, or even thought they'd have a preevolution. She'd definitely need to check out the mountains where they'd be found. In fact, she had a lot of exploring to do. So far Amber had only seen the beach where she landed and everything in between that beach and the dorms. There were only a few hours before the tournament, so she'd have to prioritize just one or two things and save the rest for afterwards. First though, she had to stop back at her dorm room; she definitely didn't want to carry her two finds around all day. As students started filing into the elevator, Amber followed, not looking forward to the ride back to the surface. Surprisingly, the ride up was much less uncomfortable than the sudden ride down. It wasn't long before Amber slowly filed her way out of the elevator and out into the school grounds once again. Both Valor and herself were quite relieved to be on the surface once more, rather than buried under thousands of pounds of rock deep underground.

Amber set off at a slow walk back to the Raikou dorms, Valor flying low overhead and enjoying the open air. It was a relatively short walk, and soon she found herself back in her dorm room. She set both the Rare Bone and the Iron Ball down on the nightstand, figuring they seemed worthless enough that no one would take it if they, for some reason, decided to enter her room when she was out. She regarded the two objects thoughtfully, already forming an image of what she wanted to make from them. But it was still missing something... As if a lightbulb had gone off, Amber had a brilliant idea for what was needed, but it required her to gather some more materials. She grabbed her smaller bag and made sure she had the basic things to keep with her; the new cellphone she'd stolen just before coming to the Academy, a handful of Pokeballs and Potions, ect. She planned on coming back to the dorms briefly right before the tournament, so she didn't need to bring much else with her. She slung her bag over her shoulder, and Valor settled down on the other shoulder. Amber walked back out into the sunshine, completely oblivious to the small hole in the top of her partially unzipped bag.

She took a slightly longer route, heading in a roundabout way towards the beach. She looked around at her surroundings, trying to get a feel for how the island was laid out. It seemed that most of the island was covered in open plains, however the tall mountains in the east stood out clearly against the blue sky. There appeared to be forests scattered about as well. Amber was a little impressed; it looked like they had a little bit of every habitat for Wild Pokemon. Sooner or later she'd have to expand her team; there's no way she'd be able to get away with only 3 v 3 battles for much longer. Thinking about her team, she figured they could use some fresh air, and sent out her other two pokemon. Spirit wasted no time before bolting off, running large circles around Amber, going almost out of her sight before racing back and past her again. Swindle darted around in the grass, nearly invisible among the foliage. Valor seemed content to stay perched right where he was, simply observing his teammates as they got used to their new enviornment. Amber briefly thought she felt something on her leg, but she shrugged it off, blaming it on the grass she was walking through. The grass slowly thinned until she found herself at the shore of the beach. It seemed mostly sandy, but she was relieved when she glimpsed several seashells in the sand.

When her two Pokemon had settled down a bit, she recalled them back into their Pokeballs, finding it much easier to focus when only Valor was out. They'd done this many times; not only did Valor get some practice in, Amber usually got some new materials out of it as well. Upon inspecting their location, Valor quickly caught on. "I'm looking for smooth and unbroken today. The less grooves, the better," Amber instructed him, and he took to the air. He slowly glided over the beach, making numerous clicking noises at the sand below. His echolocation quickly ramped up, the sand effecting the sound waves oddly. The porus surface only partially reflected the sound waves, letting him "see" just under the surface, as well as what lay right on the surface. He detected several shells, but most were broken or far too grooved to be useful. Amber walked through the sand at a distance, waiting for him to find something. Valor slowly scanned the sand, until finally he found a possible good one. It was probably a bit small, but they could make up for it in volume. He shot up into the air just above the shell, then slowly floated down in circles around the spot where it lay, repaeating the action until Amber caught up and unearthed the shell. It was irregularly shaped, and fit in the palm of her hand. It was perfectly smooth and shimmered in pastel pinks and blues when the light hit it. It would do nicely, although they definitely needed a few more for what she had in mind. She nodded and Valor took off into the air once more.

They repeated the process several times, turning up several similar shells. Finally, Amber had a small pile of shells in her hands, and Valor was feeling tired yet a little stronger. As she went to put the shells away in her bag, she noticed that it felt a bit heavier than usual. Confused, she carefully started emptying the bag, careful not to dump the shells back into the sand, to try and find out what was making her bag heavier. When she pulled out her cellphone, she noticed it had... something on it. Intrigued, she pulled the something off of her phone and held it in her hands. It was a yellowish color, with a strange, almost furry texture. As she was examining it, the something moved! A pair of eyes opened, and looked up at Amber.

"Hiya!" the something exclaimed in greeting, with a wide, fanged smile. With a rather embarrasingly uncool shriek, Amber chucked the something away from her, and it flew through the air with a "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Oof!" as it crashlanded like a screaming, yellow comet into the sand quite a ways away. Valor flew over to the crash site, with Amber following right behind. Upon further inspection, the something seemed to be some sort of Pokemon, which was now laying dazed in the sand after its involuntary flight. It was small, and covered in spikey yellow fur. It also had four small legs, each one ending in a blue tip. Valor looked at the small Pokemon in concern.

"Are you alright?" he clicked. The Pokemon shook itself and got to its feet, and stared up at the larger, purple Pokemon. It stumbled slightly. "Woah... I'm...dizzy!" it mumbled, its voice high pitched and feminine, leading Valor to the obvious conclusion. Valor wasn't sure how to respond to that, so instead he asked the question that was weighing on his mind. "Um, why exactly were you stowing away in Amber's bag?" he asked in confusion. The strange Pokemon seemed to wake up at that. "Duh! I was eating the electronical device!" she answered, as if trying to consume cell phones was the most normal thing in the world. Valor was rendered completely speechless. He was spared from a response as the Pokemon darted away, talking incessantly.

"Oooh, is that your trainer? Her hair is funny! Ohmygosh, is that a Pokeball?" she rambled, switching subjects abruptly to scurry onto and over one of Amber's empty Pokeballs lying in the sand. "I heard they're bigger on the inside, like a TARDIS!""Like a ...what? Valor muttered, but if the Pokemon heard him, she didn't respond to his confused inquiry. Amber, for her part, was simply staring at the madness unfolding. She had wanted to expand her team, after all...

Amber grabbed one of her empty Pokeballs and held it out to the tiny, scurrying Pokemon. "I could use a new teammate. You in?" she asked the excited Pokemon. The Pokemon jumped up and down excitedly, so Amber took that as a "yes". The Pokeball opened and the ball shook briefly in her hand before letting out a resounding click. Amber sat down on the beach and let out her other two Pokemon, along with the newcomers. As the Pokemon all got to know each other, Amber pondered her newest catch. That thing had been a serious master of stealth. Who knows how long it was hiding in there before she noticed it! She could use a good spy. And of course, she had to name it.

Amber leaned back, relaxed, and watched her newest Pokemon get to know its new family.

siiadams

Got 3DS back...1822-1106-0866
    Years
    Shawn Williams -Raikou Dorm
    Laboratory

A fairly strong hand rustled Shawn's shoulder and the young trainer yawned and stretched. His excitement obviously didn't keep him from napping while waiting for his new pokemon to be revived. It took a few seconds for him to realize what was happening until the scientist spoke, "Young man, our work is complete. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Come with me." Shawn smiled and quickly followed the man around tables and other machines before coming to a table that was surrounded by the other scientists. They were murmuring among themselves but they cleared a path for Shawn to come forward to the table. What he saw brought a wide grin to his face.

On the table rested a smallish pokemon that resembled a baby dinosaur. Its coloring was a charcoal black with a few slate gray parts that looked to Shawn like spikes. The creature looked confused until it turned and looked at Shawn. As they stood there staring at each other, Shawn instinctively held out a hand to the pokemon, showing no fear for anything that would happen. The pokemon at first didn't move, unsure of what to think about this situation. Almost seeming scared, the creature slowly inched forward until it came a few inches to Shawn's hand and sniffed it for a few seconds. Suddenly, it let out a small roar that startled everyone, including Shawn, but Shawn kept his hand there and didn't move away. "I'm not here to hurt you, little one," he spoke tenderly to the pokemon, smiling, "I know things seem overwheming and scary. I want to help you. I want to help you understand this world. Will you come with me?"

The little Tyrunt looked around him first before turning back to Shawn. He was scared, of course, but there was something about how he spoke and how he acted. He felt that he could trust this boy. After what seemed to be a few minutes, the pokemon walked forward and nudged Shawn's hand as a sign of agreement. Slowly moving his hand, Shawn gently placed it on Tyrunt's head and stroked it. The pokemon came closer to Shawn until it stood next to him. Shawn took a chance and slowly wrapped his arms around Tyrunt and picked it up. The pokemon was a little surprised but he allowed the boy to pick him up. It seemed that Tyrunt and Shawn were starting to get along.

The scientist came forward and presented Shawn with a pokeball, which he took. Turning to Tyrunt, he smiled and said, "This will be your new home for now. I don't want other people to know of you yet. I want it to be a surprise. Get inside the pokeball and you'll get to meet the others, ok?" Though it seemed scary, Tyrunt nodded and when it touched the pokeball, it captured him with little effort. Staring at the pokeball, the realization of his new capture finally caught up to him and Shawn smiled even bigger than before. Shawn thanked the scientists for their hard work and turned to leave, but the head scientist cleared his throat and spoke. "Before you leave," he stated, "you should know that the pokemon you have now is called Tyrunt. There isn't much information about them, seeing as how they were more recently discovered, so be very careful, ok?" Shawn nodded and quickly walked out, heading outside.

Thoughts of his new Tyrunt flooded his mind as he walked outside. As much as he wanted to use him right away, he knew he had to acclimatize Tyrunt to other pokemon. Since pokemon have been around a lot longer, maybe seeing other pokemon would make him feel better. Even better would be if they were to do this outside in a more natural setting. An idea struck him and he made a beeline to the forest. Specifically, to the forest clearing that he tried to turn into a training place for his team. Seems like the best place for everyone to get together and meet.

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2018
    Amber Frost

Amber's team of three wasted no time in meeting their fourth member. Or rather, the fourth member met them, whether they liked it or not. The Pokemon had already met Valor, but then she spotted the other two newcomers, and dashed over to Spirit first.

"Hi there! What's your name? Ooh is that real fire? Does fire hurt? Can you breath fire?" she asked in rapid fire speech. Normally, Spirit would've been happy to show off for a lady, however he was a bit thrown off by her never-ending questions. He flinched as she began crawling all over his pristine coat, leaving tiny little spider tracks on it. He drew the line, however, when she tried to crawl into his mane.

"NOT THE MANE!" he cried, lighting his whole mane on fire and startling the intruding Pokemon. She fell to the ground, landing on her back with a tiny "Oof!" Now even more curious about the spontaneously combusting mane, she climbed back up Spirit, and sat right on his muzzle. Spirit, spooked, tried to shake off the persistent creature, staring at it somewhat cross-eyed as he shook his head, jumped, and bucked around trying to dislodge the spider Pokemon from his nose. The Pokemon held on, however and was screaming "Wheeeeeeeeee!" and giggling as she was bounced and shook all different ways.

Eventually, she was launched from her makeshift amusement park ride and landed in the grass, right next to Amber's other Pokemon. She stared at Swindle with wide eyes, and he shrunk away from the bubbly Pokemon. Undaunted, she began rattling off at him just the same. "Oooh, are you a Grass type? Do you have to eat or do you just absorb light? Woah, your hands are sticky, can you climb trees? Are you grumpy? Why are you grumpy?" she asked, badgering him with questions. Swindle stumbled back and clamped his hands over his ears, hissing, "Make... the thing... stop...!"

Amber watched all this happening, trying not to laugh at the whole scene. She felt a bit bad for the reserved and solitary Swindle, so she walked over to the two and scooped the strange Pokemon into her hands. She stared at the Pokemon in her hands, not even sure what kind of Pokemon it was. Still, she had to name it, and she went with her gut instinct as she had with the other three, her first impression for a name usually the best one. "You need a name, huh? Hm, how about Twitch?" she asked the tiny Pokemon. The Pokemon looked like she pondered it for a moment.

"Twitch? But I'm not a mouse!" she exclaimed, as if that was a perfectly logical statement. There were so many things wrong with that illogical sentence that Valor just tried to forget he even heard it. Then it looked like she had an epiphany and she giggled, "Oh, Twitch! Like what things do on the ground when I inject venom into their bloodstream!" without missing a beat, her chipper tune feeling very out of place for such a morbid statement. Valor scooted farther away on Amber's arm nervously at that. Amber took her cheery attitude as a "yes" for the name.

With that out of the way, she recalled the three Pokemon, leaving only Valor out once again. She took a deep breath, letting out a chuckle as she repacked her bag and headed back to the dorms. She wanted to drop off those shells and make sure she had everything she wanted to bring to the tournament in her bag before she went to train. She was beginning to wonder if perhaps she should join it after all. Of course, that'd mean she probably couldn't collect any bets, and she might not even have enough Pokemon to enter. She was running out of time to decide in any case.

Amber entered her dorm room and hunted out all the seashells from her bag and put them by the Rare Bone and Iron Ball. She added a wad of cash that she stole from some kid back home to her bag in case she needed to buy something in Oak Town. Of course, she thought perhaps the town would be more urban than expected; busy, urban towns were much easier to blend in and steal from than rural mom-and-pop stores where everyone knows everyone and has the free time to watch all their customers at all times. Considering the look of the island, however, she doubted it. It looked like she'd have to get her items the normal way for once. In that case, she'd have to make her money last.

With that in mind, Amber strolled back into the open air once more. She looked around for a good place to train, and decided to head for the forest in the hopes that there'd be some easy bug types to gain a few levels. She pondered her new Pokemon, unsure what Pokemon it even was. It looked like a bug, but the yellow fur made her think Electric type. Maybe it was both? Either way, she'd need to train it specifically to work out some tactics. Her rather unusual battle style was tricky to pull off for newer Pokemon, she always had to work with them for a bit until they got used to it.

With Valor keeping watch on her shoulder, Amber entered the forest and began to look around for some Wild Pokemon.

Megaman765

Years
    Mark Wilson

Mark headed right into the Fossil research lab, hanging over the Fossil he had found earlier to the various scientists for it to get reanimated. While they worked on that, He wanted to start looking into that rock he found. Clay was up there as well, seemingly taking an interest in the find. It looked like every other rock. What could it possibly be? Some new fossil? A new Pokemon?

"Mark correct? Would you mind lending me your phone number? I'd like to notify you when we uncover this rock. Chances are the real gem or whatever you found, is covered up in hardened rock so it may take a little while for us to uncover." Clay explained. Mark nodded and told him his Pokegear number. Well on the bright side he could say he had Clay's phone number now! While they were exchanging however, some noise was starting to come from the Fossil Reanimation room. One of the scientists walked out with... something blue on its face.

"Uhh... Mark? Your Fossil has been reanimated... as you can see on my face." He said, feeling less then pleased. It was an Omanyte! It'd quickly plop off of the scientist's face and look at Mark curiously.

"Hey there little guy! I'm Mark. I'm going to be your trainer from now on. Looking forward to training with yo-" The Omanyte quickly lept onto Mark's face and clung onto it, causing Mark to tumble over. "A-aah! H-hey! T-that tickles! C-careful! Ahaha!" Mark said, trying to pluck it off of his face. He instead reached into his bag and poked the Omanyte with a Pokeball. Quickly sending it inside. Thankfully it didn't resist too much, already aknowledging its trainer. As soon as the ball clicked, it was sent right to the PC storage box.

Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    Samantha Felicity Cooper

Sammy trudged back towards the Academy, all of her Pokemon in their Pokeballs except for Shuppet who floated along beside her. Sure the Ghost Pokemon was creepy as hell, but his gesture of protecting her had helped to thaw some of the apprehension she felt about him. Maybe he was a creep, but he was her creep and she'd do everything she could to help him be the most frightening ghost around if that was what he wanted. So really, the expedition hadn't been so bad after all.

Okay, yes, she ended up battling an entire tribe of Marowak and Cubone in a less than professional manner. And maybe a wild Onix came charging into the middle of things. It was even possible that three of her Pokemon had been knocked out, or as good as, while a fourth had been savagely beaten with bones. But there were a lot of upswings too.

The Pokemon Center would be able to get all of her Pokemon back in tip top shape in time for the tournament, Cubone had now firmly overcome his fear of battling and gotten a Thick Club, plus she had caught an Onix. Which although a Pokemon she was more than a little clueless about it could still become a vital asset to her as a Trainer. Aside from how horrible the experience had been it seemed like today actually was going to be her day, just like she'd planned. All she had to do now was win the tournament, train with Gary Oak and prove to Mark he wasn't the only big deal on campus.

Once she got back to the Academy she went straight for the Pokemon Center. Returning Shuppet to his Pokeball she handed all six to the nurse in attendance on one of those dimpled trays they used.

"They're pretty beat up. We had a run in with a wild Onix," she explained, "which is in the Timer Ball there. Shuppet should be okay, but I'd like if he could get a check up anyway."

The nurse looked at her with... Sammy wasn't sure what it is. It didn't look like a good thing though - was the nurse unhappy that her Pokemon were in a bad way? This was what a Pokemon Center was for, she couldn't be mad at Sammy for being responsible enough to bring her Pokemon here. Could she?

"The Shuppet. Is that the one you just had out with you?" Asked the nurse.
    "Uh, yeah. He isn't hurt or anything, but I thought you could give him a check up..."
    "You know that Shuppet is female, don't you?"
    "...I ...did not know that."

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2018
    Amber Frost​

Once she'd entered into the forest, Amber let out all her Pokemon. Swindle quickly bolted up a nearby tree and began following Amber by jumping from tree to tree. Spirit casually trotted next to Amber, looking around at all the incredibly flammable trees. Twitch started scurrying all around, running circles around Amber's feet before darting ahead, running a spiral pattern up and back down a tree, and running forward again in rapid succession. Valor rotated himself slowly on Amber's shoulder, clicking at a constant pace to search for both dangers and enemy Pokemon to train against. He spotted a Silcoon hanging on a tree and suddenly flew at it, bombarding it with Wing Attacks as it sat there and used Harden. After numerous attacks that weakened in power the more the other Pokemon Hardened, the Silcoon finally fainted and fell off the tree. Valor, somewhat tired from the rapid fire attacks, went back to Amber's shoulder as they walked through the forest.

Amber stopped suddenly as she stumbled upon a clearing in the forest. Dappled rays of light shone through the treetops, trickling down to the earth and casting a dancing pattern of lights on the clearing floor. Several logs lay around the clearing, forming what looked like crude benches. Valor quickly examined the area and found it completely deserted. With a shrug, Amber went over to the one of the benches and sat down as her Pokemon explored the area. She found it was actually quite comfortable, and lounged on it, stretching herself out across the log. Her Pokemon all went off in different directions in search of battles. They usually trained by themselves, going over their moves and making sure they knew all the steps. This method of training prepared them well for real battles, allowing them to gain the independence they required for Amber's battling techniques to perform smoothly. Spirit blasted away several small Bug type Pokemon with an Ember attack, while Swindle was locked in combat with a Ratatta. Her Pokemon working, Amber relaxed, closed her eyes, and grabbed her phone, playing some punk rock music on the speakers. It wasn't until the sound was suddenly muffled by a furry obstruction that she remembered something very important and opened her eyes again. Or rather, someone.

She sighed and extracted Twitch from her cellphone. She honestly had no idea what to do with the fuzzy little scout. Hell, she didn't even know what kind of Pokemon it was! But, nonetheless, she'd have to train him or her. She held Twitch up at eye level. "Okay, little guy-" she started to say, but was cut off by a pout from Twitch. "Er, girl? Okay then," she chuckled, embarrassed. "Anyway, we gotta get to work!" she said, standing up and placing the Pokemon on the ground. After a moment of thinking, Amber called out to Valor. "Valor, help out Twitch for a bit, yeah?"

Valor looked rather irritated with his task, but he took his place opposite Twitch, clicking much faster than usual to make sure he could track her rapid movements. Amber spoke once more. "Alright, let's find out what moves you know, Twitch. Use any attack on Valor there," she commanded. Twitch bounced in excitement before dashing towards Valor at surprising speed, yelling out a battle cry. "I'm going to drink your blood! Woo!" she cried, laughing as she jumped towards Valor, fangs bared for a Leech Life attack. She was nearly invisible to Valor's echolocation at her speed, causing him to only launch into the air at the last minute, her fangs grazing him slightly. "Hey, no fair!" she called up to Valor as he landed up in a tree, before charging up the tree after him, a nearly invisible thread of silk trailing out of her mouth as she ran. Valor quickly flew to a nearby tree, and Twitch followed, jumping across between branches.

"Rule number one, never announce your attacks!" Valor called out smugly as he flew ahead, the smaller Pokemon jumping around to keep up, leaving a trail of thin webbing between each tree as she jumped to them. They kept it up for some time, going in circles around the clearing. Valor landed and turned around as Twitch primed an Electroweb. Valor rocketed off the tree as a sticky, electric projectile splattered where he had just been. She continued her assault, throwing web after web at Valor. Large globs of webbing fell to the ground in vertical lines between the previously laid webs and the ground, creating a nearly invisible net around the clearing. Valor began to take on the offensive, bored of their apparent stalemate. If he continued dodging on the defensive, sooner or later he would make a fatal mistake. He flew upwards before diving down, dodging side-to-side as Twitch shot webs up at him. He prepared for a Wing Attack, however he shot out a wing for the attack too soon, and a web landed squarely against his wing, sending him crashing to the ground in a tangle of wings and webs.

"Rule number five hundred and two! Never underestimate the power of the scout's code!" Twitch giggled and nodded sagely as Valor smashed into the earth. Valor struggled into an upright position, his wing wrapped up by an electric web. Tiny electric shocks combined with constricting webs left his wing numb and unusable, greatly hindering his Speed and mobility. Still, he had one working wing, leaving him plenty of mobility, but Twitch didn't need to know that just yet...

Amber silently watched as the two battled. It wasn't exactly what she had in mind when she'd started, but she thought it turned out pretty well. So far she'd seen two different types of web attacks, along with an attack involving her fangs that never connected. It looked like Twitch would take just fine to their battling style. Amber hadn't given a single command besides the one at the start, and both Twitch and Valor had worked out complicated strategies on their own. She got the feeling that most trainers were too focused on their own plans and tactics to realize how intelligent Pokemon truly were.

Twitch, meanwhile, was focused on her prey. Valor was mostly immobilized; at least, his flight was disabled by the Electroweb wrapped around it. Without his flight, he couldn't escape from the circle of Spiderwebs that she had laid while she chased him. She may be a bit random and crazy, but she definitely wasn't as unintelligent as she seemed. She opened her mouth slightly to let a tiny thread of silk out once more as she charged forward towards Valor slightly slower than the first time, preparing for a Bug Bite attack. Valor watched her approach, clicking at a slow and steady pace. Right before she reached him, he jumped to the side, using his one wing for additional lift. Twitch was thrown off, not expecting him to be able to move that quickly after being partially paralyzed. Still, he was headed right where she wanted him to go.

Valor turned to face her as he half jumped, half flew to the side, grinning in triumph as he managed to surprise the bug Pokemon. "Rule number two, never assume you've won until the battle is over," he called out tauntingly. Twitch looked at him, smiled innocently, and declared, "Oops! Looks like you just broke the rules!" Valor barely had time to process that statement before he collided with a wall of webs and was bounced violently back into the ground in the center of the clearing.

Valor struggled to get up, momentarily dazed from the sudden change in momentum and the resulting crash. Twitch took the opportunity to hit him with a volley of Electrowebs, slowing him down to the point of immobility. She took a deep breath and shot out electric waves, Paralyzing him with Thunder Wave for good measure. She went at him once more, bouncing and dodging and slicing at him with repeated Fury Cutter attacks, laying out webs all the while. Valor struggled against his bonds in vain, then watched in both amazement and confusion as Twitch walked on the air?! Then he clicked at the spot Twitch had just been, and finally saw them. He was trapped, not just in the Electrowebs, but in a dome of tiny Spiderwebs. And beyond that, he deduced, another layer of webs that bounced him back upon contact. Now that he was trapped and vulnerable, Twitch was free to dart in and out, slashing him with Fury Cutter repeatedly, each one stronger than the last.

He had lost.

He had just gotten outplayed by a bug. He stopped struggling and lay limply on the ground as he realized he'd been checkmated. Twitch stood above him, suspended on top of the dome of webs. She grinned smugly at him before scurrying over to Amber, giggling in delight at her victory over the team tactician. "Yay! I won!" she exclaimed, jumping up and down. Amber grinned and picked up the tiny spider Pokemon before strolling over to Valor and pulling at the Spiderwebs unsuccessfully. She looked at Twitch again, somewhat less amused. "Oops," she muttered. Amber rolled her eyes and whistled loudly for Spirit and Swindle. They slowly emerged from the forest, looking tired and scratched but in better shape than Valor. Swindle spotted the webs and simply climbed over them. Spirit on the other hand, had to be a bit more careful around the flammable trees. He lined himself up with both the webs in front of him and webs on the other side of the clearing. He ran forward in a Flamewheel, burning a hole through the first webs, before pushing off the ground and sailing over the heads of Amber and the other Pokemon, who wisely ducked before he launched himself. His charge continued, burning a hole to the outside before he stopped and extinguished himself. Small webs still clung to the trees, which remained relatively undamaged.

Spirit trotted back to them looking smug. "No need to thank me, just clearing the way. But seriously, you can start showering me with praise now," he remarked airily, giving a slight flip of the mane and letting it billow out behind him in the breeze. Twitch stared at him in admiration, stars literally visible in her eyes somehow. Valor rolled his eyes and huffed impatiently at his friend's antics. "Can you hurry up and untie me already?" he snapped at Spirit, tired of being stuck on the ground. Spirit grinned and stood above the trapped Valor. "Only if you promise to be my unwavering servant for all time," he bargained, still grinning impishly. Valor didn't even respond to that; if he could've glared, he would've. Sensing his unamusement, Spirit chuckled and let loose an Ember attack on the outer Spiderweb dome, incinerating it and leaving only the Electrowebs tying Valor to the ground. Spirit put one hoof on the edge of a web tying Valor's wing. "It's not too late to change your mind! Being my servant is a great honor!" he laughed playfully. In response, Valor yanked on his wing, causing the Electroweb to unravel, allowing him to undo the rest of the webs with his free wing. "Not happening," he said, very unamused. Spirit helped his grouchy friend back up onto Amber's shoulder and they began walking back out of the forest. "Jeez, chill out. Just playin'" Spirit remarked nonchalantly as he trotted slowly at Amber's side. Valor didn't respond, choosing to tiredly duck inside his wings for the rest of the walk towards the Pokemon Center.

Amber regarded her team thoughtfully during the walk. They didn't have much formal training, as most of their time was spent trying to get food to eat and a place to stay, but they worked well as a team. And the recent addition had only made them stronger. She was starting to think they might have a chance in this upcoming tournament. They could definitely use some practice in a real stadium against trained Pokemon. And Valor looked like he needed some cheering up after that loss. They still had a little bit of time left, perhaps they would visit Oak Town and pick up a few things that could give them an edge over the competition. Once they'd all healed up, she'd have to ask Valor what he thought. Amber spent the rest of the walk towards the Academy Pokemon Center in pensive silence.

Back