• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen The 'Pokemon Following You' Discussion Thread

Switchback

Flare Counsellor
    Years
    A lot of people seem to be having "concerns" if you can call it that whether water pokemon can follow you around or what they would look like ect. Well, before Pokemon Colosseum came out, I remember the same kind of discussions so, wouldn't it be safe to assume that it would be similar to Colloseum?

Point I'm trying to make is that Wailord would be floating behind you, Goldeen and the others doing the same unless they do a sort of jump. On regards to surfing, I imagine if you tell the Pokemon following you at the time, Vaporeon for simplicity's sake, to surf, it would disappear from behind you into water so you can surf on it. Then back on land, it would return behind you.

Of course these are all speculations but I think that the feature will simply be like Colloseum only transferred to the sprites we all know and love.

All I hope is that when I'm walking around with Lugia behind me, he doesn't get poached.

Aether

Preparing Emergency Food
    Years
    I was only really planning on having my Typhlosion follow me around, but now I'd like to have a Ralts/Gallade behind me too. :)

Sainthell

Look at my awesome ki power.
    Years
    I'd like to have my lucario, Dragonite, Charizard, Feraligtr,etc... to follow me.
    a question: what if i turn crazy and just don't want no pokemon following me? and what about surfing with pokemons? its not a good ideia to surf with a onix following you... maybe he'll Drown and die :(

ckn

A Black Animator
    Years
    Actually, after they have made a walking sprite for every Pokemon, all they have to do is duplicate every sprite and then recolor them, which is pretty easy and quick work. So the only hard work is "combining" the shiny sprites with the shiny Pokemon, which shouldn't be THAT hard either.

well if this does actually happen then i'll probably have a shiny charmander everywhere i possibly go lol or shiny lugia

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    The thing is the Gizamimi Pichu and the Pikachu Colored Pichu have their own sprites. So, if they can be exclusive like that, and if it actually is a simple process in allowing so many sprites, then I would think others should gain their own exclusive Shiny sprite as well. However, no one ever thought about the gender differences and their sprites if you remember correctly. Diamond and Pearl introduced a large difference for female and male Pokémon. For example, Hippowdon and its two different colors differentiating the male and female counterparts. Then, there is Pikachu/Raichu and the difference in tail. The list goes on with the Pokémon and the gender features that make them separated in sprites. So, I do wonder if they shall put this into account while giving all their Pokémon OW sprites. It'll be interesting to see, and if it is done then all the better, because it'll seem more realistic in terms of seeing what you actually have. Not to mention, it'll also tell the genders apart not only from their details, but also from their outside appearance.

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2009
    I would love for my Umbreon or Espeon to follow me, but it would be great, if that Jirachi/Mcdonalds promotion came to the states, I would definitely have Jirachi Follow me.

The Wave

Something to believe in....
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2016
    The thing is the Gizamimi Pichu and the Pikachu Colored Pichu have their own sprites. So, if they can be exclusive like that, and if it actually is a simple process in allowing so many sprites, then I would think others should gain their own exclusive Shiny sprite as well. However, no one ever thought about the gender differences and their sprites if you remember correctly. Diamond and Pearl introduced a large difference for female and male Pokémon. For example, Hippowdon and its two different colors differentiating the male and female counterparts. Then, there is Pikachu/Raichu and the difference in tail. The list goes on with the Pokémon and the gender features that make them separated in sprites. So, I do wonder if they shall put this into account while giving all their Pokémon OW sprites. It'll be interesting to see, and if it is done then all the better, because it'll seem more realistic in terms of seeing what you actually have. Not to mention, it'll also tell the genders apart not only from their details, but also from their outside appearance.

Though I love to see different walking sprites for the different genders, I doubt it will happen. On the other side, it's not that much work, it's just a matter of checking in the data what gender it is....

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Though I love to see different walking sprites for the different genders, I doubt it will happen. On the other side, it's not that much work, it's just a matter of checking in the data what gender it is....

I wouldn't be bothered if it happened ot not. It'll be nice as it can add into a more realistic play. Plus, it'll be extending the following feature, but not overdoing it at a drastic cause. However, if they did not play it by gender for the OW sprites, there are a few that should be done. Such as Hippowdon, it is one Pokémon, but the two genders are completely different in color. So, something like this for gender differences should at least be applied to the Pokémon following us as it is a visible change rather than a small indent in tail or anything of such small detail. As for the Shiny sprites, it'll be nice, but if it isn't done to all then at least do it to the Red Gyarados. I think this is one Pokémon who plays a major role and would deserve the appearance for its OW look. Any how, I'm sure something along these lines will come to surface. Plus, we still have next month coming up close, so we'll be sure to see something new out of it.

Game Over1375

Hito-Shura is awesome
    Years
    Well... they are letting the Pikachu colored Pichu follow you around, so I imagine they will have other shinies follow you as well.

My shiny Metagross will be following me.

Rettan

~Oddish_Smoker~
    Years
    I would have Smeargle following me xD
    *raises hand*
    Question tho... HOW THE "·$%&@ CAN A WAILORD FOLLOW YOU?!
    Would be funny to see xD

Ellie

Sweet Punch!
    Years
    Well... they are letting the Pikachu colored Pichu follow you around, so I imagine they will have other shinies follow you as well.

My shiny Metagross will be following me.
    they might not show up as shinies though. It's possible that only Pichu gets it because it's special, and maybe some stuff like the red Gyarados could, etc.

who follows me depends on if they have special items and stuff for different Pokemon following =P

TheNerdyPotato

Feraligatr is actually a Croc!
    Years
    Water Pokemons that can't walk coulnd't follow you. I just think. it could follow you on the ocean. Also about the Legendary. I think they woulnd't also. It's too big ( Just exceptions from the Small Legendary Pokemons )... That's what my mind tells me. xD

~Fairytales.

In pokemon mystery dungeon some pokemon just flopped or ninja floated, anyways, most likely there will be a little side menu or something to decide the pokemon that follows you, It would stink if it was your first slot pokemon, because that would change for me often! My way of training my pokemon is swapping them out each time they level, to even it out peeps!

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    they might not show up as shinies though. It's possible that only Pichu gets it because it's special, and maybe some stuff like the red Gyarados could, etc.

who follows me depends on if they have special items and stuff for different Pokemon following =P

This is the samething I had in mind as well. Pichu may have been shown as Shiny as it is a special event Pokémon. So, the special ribbon awarded to it may have given it the extra coding that allowed the game to show it in its shiny form. However, it is unknown whether or not all Pokémon may be seen as a shiny like how Pichu was shown. I can't say it won't happen, because it is a possibility. However, if not, then I think the samething only this Pichu and possibly the Red Gyarados may be shown as a shiny when following the player in its OW sprite. The reason why is because both of these pokemon have a special significance compared to the others Pokémon you would normally catch within the game.

In pokemon mystery dungeon some pokemon just flopped or ninja floated, anyways, most likely there will be a little side menu or something to decide the pokemon that follows you, It would stink if it was your first slot pokemon, because that would change for me often! My way of training my pokemon is swapping them out each time they level, to even it out peeps!

By speculation, I believe it was said that the first Pokémon within your party will be the one to always be out. However, I don't blame the game makers to design it this way as it is an easier format to progress. I too will have my OW Pokémon have alternations quite constantly when I'm playing within the main storyline because I prefer to keep my Pokémon at equal levels.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    How would fat Ol' Wailord get around, and Snorlax. Wouldn't there be an EQ?
    Also I love the idea, of having my favorite Pokemon follow me

Also the smallest Pokemon (which I think is Sunkern and if not Natu) I just hope it doesn't get stepped on

:t354:TG

omega77

Is that all?
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2024
    You know what would be weird, having a Metapod or something like that following you. They can't even move!

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    How would fat Ol' Wailord get around, and Snorlax. Wouldn't there be an EQ?
    Also I love the idea, of having my favorite Pokemon follow me

Also the smallest Pokemon (which I think is Sunkern and if not Natu) I just hope it doesn't get stepped on

:t354:TG

You know, for Pokémon the boundaries they try to stay within are always extended. When something seems to be too real, they twist the ends and make it work. So, for something extremely large to follow us, isn't a surprise. However, Wailord will more than likely float as a blimp in its OW sprite. It'll be funny at first, but later sync in as we get used to it.

Also, I wouldn't think of it as creating an earthquake. The reason why is because for one, Snorlax originally lives on land and moves too. So, an earthquake being caused by it would only happen if they tried. As for Wailord, well lets just put it as if it is drifting on air, at least we won't get sqashed.

You know what would be weird, having a Metapod or something like that following you. They can't even move!

There are going to be a lot of weird uses when the Pokémon follow us. However, whether it be normal, strange, unreal, or stupid at least we get the benefit of having our favorite Pokémon tag along behind us. Not to mention, we still get items at certain times so it is all the more beneficial to the player. At least let's enjoy it while we can :).

ChronicEdge

Space Lion
    Years
    I'd like to see a Magikarp just kinda floppin' along behind me.

Wouldn't it be cool if you could ride your Pokemon?

It would be like riding the Bicycle on a river of pure awesome.

Back