• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen The 'Pokemon Following You' Discussion Thread

Arle Kaa-kun

Wakasyamo DESU! X3
    Years
    OK. Should I put comments with random stuff with the Pokémon?
    1. Any Starter: ...Fwee! Let's run like the wind! ^w^
    2. Pikachu: Wii! I'm playing Pokémon Yellow! (Lulz)
    3. Any other Pokémon: ...desu! (No comment)
    4. Fish that can't walk: Lulz. How does it even survive?
    5. Any Legendary: Man, what an expert!
    6. Large Pokémon: Is it even possible for them to be in a house?
    7. Arceusor any of the Dragon Trio: For the love of Arceus, how'd he/she catch Arceus!?
    8. Wailord: Oh god! This really freaking huge Pokémon! Is it even possible for it to fit in a town!?

Years
    OK. Should I put comments with random stuff with the Pokémon?
    1. Any Starter: ...Fwee! Let's run like the wind! ^w^
    2. Pikachu: Wii! I'm playing Pokémon Yellow! (Lulz)
    3. Any other Pokémon: ...desu! (No comment)
    4. Fish that can't walk: Lulz. How does it even survive?
    5. Any Legendary: Man, what an expert!
    6. Large Pokémon: Is it even possible for them to be in a house?
    7. Arceusor any of the Dragon Trio: For the love of Arceus, how'd he/she catch Arceus!?
    8. Wailord: Oh god! This really freaking huge Pokémon! Is it even possible for it to fit in a town!?

the arceus can be obtained from a 12th movie event ;) so its pretty feasible.

Late

Pokémon Artist
    Years
    My Typhlosion will follow me it's sure. How big Wailord is? Must test that too :D I like this idea and you don't have to ask from anybody how does my pokémon feel. I can just watch if it's happy and ready to evolve.

Cheesymitten

Dukcs
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2015
    Empoleon,
    Water pokemon could maybe swim while you're using surf maybe?
    That would be good :D

Last edited:

TERRA#493

Competitive Battler
    Years
    I bet, that this is fake. It should be enough, when the chosen starter follows you, so the starters have a small more important role by the side. Okay, and Pikachu could follow you probably, as the (most annoying) mascot of Pokémon.

PS: "OMG... i got Wailord now, it should follow me from now on!!". Yea.. oO"
    I think that they will minimize every Pokemon in order to fit in one space
    Nooo, please not. A Wailord who fits one space - thats unimaginable... and absolutely awful ._."

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    I bet, that this is fake. It should be enough, when the chosen starter follows you, so the starters have a small more important role by the side. Okay, and Pikachu could follow you probably, as the (most annoying) mascot of Pokémon.

Nooo, please not. A Wailord who fits one space - thats unimaginable... and absolutely awful ._."
    Steelix the second biggest Pokemon wants to say hi from its one tile size. But then again I would love a wailord like this:
    https://kymotonian.deviantart.com/art/More-Pokemon-overworlds-95928804

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013

This couldn't be fake, I'm sorry. It is viable information coming from an official Japanese magezine, Coro Coro. It has been confirmed on another site, Serebii who confedentally states all 493 Pokémon can follow us. However, there may be some specific places and times where our Pokémon cannot follow is.

Might I add, that it'll be a funny sight to see us riding the bike with our following Pokémon quickly rushing behind it. Though, I would think at a time like that is when our Pokémon may be put back in its ball, but we'll see.

Also, yes a Pokémon like Wailors can be fit into a one tile space. I wouldn't consider it awful as we haven't seen an image with it like that as yet. However, in FireRed and LeafGreen they made Snorlax's OW fit perfectly well outside and if they can do a good job on that i nthe GBS games, then I'd think it'll work out fine for these remakes on teh DS/DSi. Not to mention, as shown in the recen scans, Steelix a large Pokémon looks very well done in its OW sprite to follow the main heroine.

Years
    I'm really glad to hear that all Pokemon will be allowed to follow the trainer. Better than how it was in D/P, when only the "cute" Pokemon could walk behind the trainer, and it was a set few Pokemon whose OW sprite was already in the game elsewhere. But with all 493 Pokemon having OW sprites for this, the "forgotten" Pokemon can be used.

So I'm definitely looking forward to having a Farfetch'd follow me.

And it will be interesting to see how those Water Pokemon will be handled. On land (as shown in the anime, afaik), they just flop around. It will be amusing to see it also happen in the games.

Also will be interesting to see how the surfing and flying sprites will be handled. So far, we can only speculate on whether the general blob-bird for Fly and the fish for Surf will still be used, or if the game will recognize which Pokemon is using the move more than it already does.

Lol I could just picture Magikarp flopping around behind me. lol ^_^ I, too, thought about the possibility of being able to see the flying Pokemon use fly or water pokemon/snorlax/furret etc..use Surf instead of the silhouette when I first found out that any Pokemon can follow. Farfetch'd is cool. (It's my flying type in Silver.)

Well, this means it's possible to have a walk-in daycare. :D yay!

I was thinking the same exact thing when I heard the news. XD

My brother wants to see Suicune and Wailord to follow him. lol)

I think this feature will give me an incentive to actually capture all the Pokemon and see how they look when they follow me. ^_^

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    O.O you're right. Usually I'll just breed battlers, but now I might actually want to catch them all. Excitement!

I bet Mew or Jirachi would look awesome. (speaking of which, I wonder what that Jirachi bit is...)

This'll also make it easier on webcomic makers (assuming people still do that. xD)

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    In all my hype for the games I forgot one potentially awesome thing I cannot wait for. FLYGON! Trapinch better be a pokeradar Pokemon or available in some way cause I really want flygon behind me.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
    I would just like to see a scizor follow me as I think scizor is too cool to be in its pokeball. Hurray Scizor!!!!

Years
    • Age 30
    • CA
    • Seen Mar 2, 2023
    I think this is going to be awesome. I'm not sure if someone already said it, but I would assume the legendaries would be about the size of Steelix or a little bigger. Steelix was quite a bit larger than Gold actually.

Kumata

Webcomic artist
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2012
    I can't wait to see a Magikarp flopping patheically along behind me... =P

silvanarrow

A figment of your imagination
    Years
    I'll probably have my Cyndaquil/Quilava/Typhlosion following me most of the time, but I'd also love to see Lugia flying behind me too. Heck, I'll try as many as possible just for kicks but then stick with a select few. Also, I'm wondering how you pick which Pokemon follows you. I hope it's not just the first one in your lineup. I think you should be able to choose that separately.

Years
    I'll probably have my Cyndaquil/Quilava/Typhlosion following me most of the time, but I'd also love to see Lugia flying behind me too. Heck, I'll try as many as possible just for kicks but then stick with a select few. Also, I'm wondering how you pick which Pokemon follows you. I hope it's not just the first one in your lineup. I think you should be able to choose that separately.

someone translated the scans and i think it said something along the lines of "the first pokemon in your party follows you out of its pokeball"
    so i think this is the case.

Back