• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen The PokeWalker Discussion thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yaminokame

やみのかめ
    Years
    Well 5000 yen isn't that bad if you get the greatest thing to grace Pokemon since Pocket Pikachu now is it?

Yeah I think I can learn to live with a small price jump of 200 yen XD That's not too terribly bad :P We have heard though that the price is going to remain as 4800, so maybe it will stay the same :/ I really hope that all of that leak was true :( I wouldn't really mind paying a few extra yen though :P

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    Well if that leak included the pokewalk it should indeed be true. And the 3 figure and September thing make me almost sure that we will see this out on the 19th.

yaminokame

やみのかめ
    Years
    Well if that leak included the pokewalk it should indeed be true. And the 3 figure and September thing make me almost sure that we will see this out on the 19th.

Not only did it mention the PokeWalker, it named it exactly AND said that it was a pedometer in the shape of a pokeball :/ Then it went on to say that the release month was september (no specific day) and that it would be 4800 yen... I wish they would confirm that crap already lol ;_;

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Alright, so we've gotten more in detail with this. I agree, seeing as though it is a bundle pack and it specifically named the games with it, HeartGold and SoulSilver, then there is a higher possibility of it hitting outside of Japan. If it does, then it'll be all the better for players and GameFreak/Nintendo. The mini games that you come crashing into at certain points after a specific amount of steps seem likes a good feature, and may stop people from easily absuing the item. Getting certain items, I expected that actually. The original Yellow Pikachu 2 device allowed us to gain certain Mystery Gifts with it in Gold and Silver. It only seems natural they would have brought back this feature to it.

As for the infrared, that was unexpected. Ninetendo seems to be getting a lot more advanced with their technology now. This can only lead the possibilities they'll end up working on in the future. Though, it makes me wonder just as a speculation. They used the DSi to show connection with the new PokéWalker. Will the infrared signal work with the DS and DS lite as well for other players who don't have the DSi as yet [I wonder]?

The price, in Japan, 4800 - about 5000 yen seems probable. If it released out of Japan, here in the states as a bundled pack I would expect the game to cost in the range of 40s or so. If not, a free item with the game, like they did with the stylus a few times with DPPt.

Now, it said Spetember, so that surely gives off a good leak that the game might be released at that time. I'd say it seems very likely as well, seeing as this isn't the first leak we've heard about the release month being September. As for the exact date, the 19th maybe, but we'll need more information on that as time goes by. For right now, things are looking bright with this game and about the end of this week and beginning next week, there will be new information released on the games, or so said by Serebii.

yaminokame

やみのかめ
    Years
    They used the DSi to show connection with the new PokéWalker. Will the infrared signal work with the DS and DS lite as well for other players who don't have the DSi as yet [I wonder]?

This explaination makes the most sense to me, it basically says that the infrared capability will be in the cartridge itself:

That the PokéWalk says it uses infrared to transmit between the DS unit raises some questions. To the best of my knowledge, none of the DS family has a built-in infrared transceiver. What does this mean? Inadvertently, it tells us that HG/SS might ship as a special infrared cartridge.

Why's that, you ask?

This is Personal Trainer: Walking, which released last November in Japan and just a week or so ago in North America. Read it and you'll see it's basically the PokéWalk minus the Pokémon:

Read elsewhere on that page and you'll see that the Game Card for this title is called an "Infrared Game Card" and the included graphic shows that the walking device communicates via infrared with the game card itself, which, everything says, is actually equipped with an infrared transceiver built right into the game card.

The graphic that yaminokame posted above shows the exact same thing: the PokéWalk being pointed right at the game card for purposes of the infrared transmission.

So what does this mean? The obvious is that HG/SS will apparently ship on these new infrared-enabled game cards, which in and of itself isn't much, but indirectly it would seem to have a significant effect. For one thing, I have to imagine that the infrared game cards cost more to manufacture per unit than do the standard DS game cards, which has implications as far as what one copy of Heart Gold or Soul Silver will cost. For another thing, this would seem to indicate that D/P/Pt are not directly compatible with the PokéWalk, given that those titles are on standard DS game cards.

How this technology and the associated peripheral made their way to the Pokémon franchise becomes evident when one notices that Creatures, Inc., who developed Ranger 2, handles some of the franchise's non-video game merchandise and holds a third of the franchise's copyright, developed Personal Trainer: Walking.

Interesting all around.

Years
    It could also be that its a seperate pokemon that wont be in the game, like the pocket Pikachu. But I could be wrong because it can connect to HGSS.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    It could also be that its a seperate pokemon that wont be in the game, like the pocket Pikachu. But I could be wrong because it can connect to HGSS.

Actually it has been noted that throught the infrared light you can simply transfer one Pokémon from you HeartGold and/or SoulSilver game and carry it along with you while your main game is left somwhere else. It'll allow you to access a few items, minigames, and now as I've read a few battles too. It is a pretty good feature for those who want to level up quickly. Though, it is unknown when we can access it with the game. I'd doubt they'll wait until after we beat the Elite, because that is a pretty long wait and will just keep the PokéWalker inactive for sometime. I'm sure it'll be useful during the game, but we'll have to see.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2014
    Hey I just realized something. If you can raise your pokem,on to level 100, how would you teach it new moves? They learn new techniques through experience, so how would that work?

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2009
    Seems neat. It will be available when you buy the game in Japan. But in America I think that you'll only get it if you pre-order it.

yaminokame

やみのかめ
    Years
    Hey I just realized something. If you can raise your pokem,on to level 100, how would you teach it new moves? They learn new techniques through experience, so how would that work?

I'm assuming that it will be the same as a daycare, but that would be awful if you had something like egg moves because it would replace them with other ones as it levels up :/ Maybe you get your levels, then when you bring it back to the game it prompts you to learn new moves based on the level your Pokemon was able to get any?

Seems neat. It will be available when you buy the game in Japan. But in America I think that you'll only get it if you pre-order it.

If they are going as far to make the cartridge itself special so that it receives infrared transmissions, I really don't think it is going to be preorder :/ I bet you a figurine like in Platinum will be the preorder and the PokeWalker will still come with the game.

Years
    Y'know, if the pedometer function isn't real good, you can just level up your Pokes by shaking the thing for a few minutes. A lot of pedometers I've seen have mixed shaking w/ walking/running.

yaminokame

やみのかめ
    Years
    Y'know, if the pedometer function isn't real good, you can just level up your Pokes by shaking the thing for a few minutes. A lot of pedometers I've seen have mixed shaking w/ walking/running.

It depends on how dedicated you are, we're talking thousands upon thousands of shakes to make the Pokemon semi-high level, and one million to get it at or around level 90-100 :/ They may take that kind of abuse into consideration when creating it. We're really just going to have to wait and see what they say :( Infact, the idea that 1 step = 1 exp is just speculation. They could make it so that 3 steps - 4 steps = 1 exp or even 10 steps = 1 exp. If that were the case, no matter how much you abuse it, you're not getting anywhere fast.

Pan!ko

vibratingcat XD
    Years
    wooohoooo! something external for a pokemon game which isnt some s****y wireless connection which no one had. I'm really excited. Except I'll have 2 of them cause I'm getting both HG and SS.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    The washer machine is goingto be sooo abused with this thing. I cant wait to hear the stories you all will share.

Barker

I'm drifting in deep waters..
    Years
    Dunno if someone's already asked it, but what happens if I ruin my Pokewalk with a Pokemon on it? Say, I leave it in my pants and wash said pants. Is my Pokemon gone forever?

Edit: Nevermind, apparently I'm way behind the times.

Shoot, anyway. Seems like a nifty idea. Perhaps too over the top, but it could be fun.

Pokedra

Retired
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2016
    It's a really neat gadget and all but I'd rather raise them on the game however this will make the little kids more happy as its like those Tamogotchi(did I spell it right?) things.

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
    Years
    It seems pretty cool, however I don't think I'll be getting one. I'm sure I'll ruin it within the first week as stuff I leave in my pockets gets ruined all the time. :/ However, it does go along with "Pocket Monsters" quite well now. xD

Ayselipera

It seems pretty cool, however I don't think I'll be getting one. I'm sure I'll ruin it within the first week as stuff I leave in my pockets gets ruined all the time. :/ However, it does go along with "Pocket Monsters" quite well now. xD

Hey good insight! I didn't pick up on that.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back