• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen The Rocket Game Corner Experience

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    The Rocket Game Corner Experience

Do you remember when the Game Corner minigames were a thing back from Pokemon Blue, Red and Yellow? You got to play the slot machines with game coins. You could insert however many coins you want (1, 2 or 3, which add more rows on the slots where you can win prizes) and try and line up the same picture. A triple 7 yields 300 coins, three BAR yield 100 coins, three Meowth, Koffing, or Arbok win 15 coins, and three cherries earn 8 coins.

If you get enough Game Coins, you can eventually earn prizes like different types of rare Pokemon like Dratini, Abra, and especially a Pokemon called Porygon, and even some TMs. Or, you can even buy some Game Coins using the Poke you own.

Did you guys try out the Game Corner? Did you ever get the prizes? Have you ever gotten the Porygon that costed 9999 Coins? Do you think that the Game Corner mini-games should return in a different format? What were your experiences with the Rocket Game Corner? Feel free to share any thoughts!

Last edited:
    Years
    I have played the slot machines in the Game Corner and I remember on my Pokemon Yellow I would try to get enough coins to win a Vulpix and that was the only prize I have won.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
    For Yellow, Game Corner games took some practice. For those who lacked patience, then buying your coins was the way to go but it wasn't cheap if you wanted to get that Porygon(200k Poke....). I've done 100% runs to get that expensive Porygon in addition to Vulpix. Its the only way to get those two Pokemon without using the Ditto Glitch.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    Yeah, I never had the patience for them haha. I used to just rebattle the Elite Four over and over, save up money and then buy all the coins necessary for Porygon.

Gambling is bad, kids.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    I think I remember just buying the coins outright... I do remember also trying the slots, but I never really was lucky enough to go very far aha. I don't think I ever got the porygon though as I don't think they allowed you to buy coins that exceeded 9999 and they only came in x50 or x500? I could be wrong; it's been a long while.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
    I think I remember just buying the coins outright... I do remember also trying the slots, but I never really was lucky enough to go very far aha. I don't think I ever got the porygon though as I don't think they allowed you to buy coins that exceeded 9999 and they only came in x50 or x500? I could be wrong; it's been a long while.

50 coins per 1000 Poke. You can buy coins up to 9999. Unless you're at 9949 coins, the final 50 you'll be shortchanged on as you'll pay 1000 Poke for 50 coins but not get the full 50 as you'll be capped at 9999. In other words, it'll cost 200k Poke to get the ~10k coins for Porygon. Its not cheap by any stretch but it helps that the Game Corner has free coins on the ground to start and that if you've been frugal with your cash that you'll have a good 100k or so by the time you reach Celadon. Wait and saving your cash for later on in your run will easily garner you the cash you need to get Porygon. That is, of course, you opt to do the Ditto Glitch instead(which requires a Special of 170 to spawn Porygon).

Years
    *sigh* yes I got the required coins for a Porygon way back in the day. I think I played the games to get close and bought the rest cause I was getting tired. That was a along time ago. I'm an adult now and don't have the time I used to to spend in the game corner.

Back