• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Role of Both Parents in Emotional Development

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
    Do you believe that a child needs both parents present whilst growing up to mature into a happy, mentally healthy teenager and then adult?

Itt consider age factors, which parent was removed from the child's life, and your own experiences. You could also think about whether or not a step-parent is a suitable substitute.

If you want to discuss the chances of homosexuality as a result of having only a single parent then please do not start talking about whether or not you are born gay because there is a thread for that right here!

Discuss.

Patatas Fritas

bajo el mismo sol ღ
    Years
    I grew up for most of my life until recently with both parents and I'm much happier now it's just me and my dad.

I was certainly ending up a lot more unhappy with both parents, so no, I do not believe a child needs both parents to grow up happily and healthy, in certain cases they could even be better of with only one..

However I do accept that it can have an effect on the child, for instance, the age of which the parent was removed. If you're older and you understand it more it can affect you, but in general I would say you're going to end up fine (or maybe not) with either both or just one parent. Talking from experience and taking examples of people I know in real life having both parents doesn't change how you end up.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    I don't need my dad, haven't ever. He wouldn't be there for me if I did. My dad was gone from my life early enough to not make an impact.

I'm fine with living just me and my mom. She's all I need. Yeah, it'd be nice to be a little bit more well-off. But I have nothing to complain about. I got a roof over my head, clothes to wear, food to eat. I've turned out pretty out normal too, despite the mental issues that run in the family. I do not believe that I would be happier if my dad was here. Not one bit.

I haven't heard the single parent leads to a higher chance of homosexuality thing, though. Care to link up some research or tell me the facts behind that?

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
    I haven't heard the single parent leads to a higher chance of homosexuality thing, though. Care to link up some research or tell me the facts behind that?
    I don't know if there is a link at all myself, but I thought it might have been something that could have been discussed.

Anyway, I think it more depends on where the one parent went. I'd guess it's more disturbing if they died rather than left. I'd talk about me using examples but there aren't any I really care to give right now.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    Sometimes one parent can mentally destroy the child until that certain parent leaves out of that person's life (not for good, but you know what I mean). This has happen to me, when I was 16.5 years old (now I am a 19 year old), my mom took me and my siblings and I know live with her, three cats and my 2 brothers and I am so much happier than I was three years ago when I was living with both my parents. So it depends on how the parents truly are

:t354:TG

Shizz

Popcorn Fantic
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2011
    I grew up with my Mom mostly, visiting my father between the age of four and a bit past six; My father was....a strange man, and beat the living tar out of me for the most random things; such as not singing the ABC's for the fifth time, or getting him the wrong beer. XD In time my father moved away and only sent letters, always thinking I was eighteen already. He died when I was Twelve, on his birthday, and eight days before mine. He was highly medicated, and according to my Grandmother from his side, dealing with a heavy curse on the family which will someday affect me.

Aside from that, I never felt bad about not having my father around. He cared about me, he was just a little crazy. (not murderous crazy, mind you.) As for my mother, she spoiled me, and I was such a brat up until in the middle of third grade that I decided not to be anymore. From there on, I took a vow of not beating up people, and always being polite. It worked out well, though I still snap at my mother for...various, but somehow necessary things.

Too Long, Didn't Read:
    Er, before I give out a whole parent life story, in my opinion being without a parent seems to give time for the child to think, and to even develop maturity faster if they don't hold a grudge. It puts children in a somewhat adult situation, to have to handle, and understand why the parents don't live together, or didn't work out.

However; My mothers long time boyfriend left me with some terrible emotional scars, which is why I'm so socially awkward to this date. xD

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    I think the most important thing for a child is to have a stable emotional development. In some cases, the standard nuclear family model works well (like me, for example). In others, both parents staying together only for the purpose of their child leads to bitterness on the part of both of them, which ends up affecting the child in subconscious ways. Similarly, children of divorce/single-parent upbringing, can either grow up with a completely well-adjusted (but completely non-nuclear) development or being completely scarred. It really depends on the individuals concerned as parents and whether they work together or apart. It doesn't even matter what sex they are, so long as the child's emotional development is stable. God, I sound like Freud...

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I don't think it really matters. I agree with what Cat Dog said mostly; it doesn't have to be a nuclear family to be stable. Somebody could live with any family member, or none of their family at all, and still be fine. It all depends on if they have sufficient care, security and all that jazz. They may have no family, but have awesome friends and still be happy.

I was just raised by my mum and I turned out to be perfect in every way fine...

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Mmm... I don't think both would be necessarily need to foster such development in that you would be learning from them. However, I think having two parents would be beneficial because its gives the parents an easier time in balancing their time and can spend more time with their child.

I said "time" a lot in that

Years
    Any parental figure will suffice, as long as the parental figure supplies the necessary love and affection a child needs for normal development. It might not be as easy as single parent, but again, one parental figure is better than no parental figures.

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
    Years
    If the parent is loving and caring, the child will turn out good. Years ago, my friends parents split up, his dad left (left the country as well). This had a huge impact since his dad owned the house and, the mother couldn't pay it. Also his mother began being involved in mischievous activity which included speeding, drink driving and what not, this influenced my friend (once was) heavily, which led him to do the bad decisions, his sister has also followed.

So, had that mother been more responsible, all would have been well... most likely anyway.

Back