• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Starter Discussion Thread

Which starter will you be choosing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    I can't believe what pokemon is heading to. If it wasn't for the money they shoul have stop at generation 3. even tough this gen looks a bit better then gen 4.

The grass type is the only one decent.
    I don't agree with you. Despite my mad love for gen 3 stopping there would have been a very dumb decision, from a business and logical perspective. If anything, Gen 5 should be the one they stop at, or at least increase the waiting period for new Gens. Perhaps the word Gen should be revamped. Do we need new pokemon in each new gen? Maybe there will be a day when we don't. Pokemon isn't stopping anytime soon. It's one of Nintendo's top money makers and they won't let it die out that fast. Besides, to come to their defense there are only 493 pokemon and over 2 million species alive on this planet (many left undiscovered). If you didn't mind seeing totally new pokes that resembled an animal you had no clue of then pkmn could go on for a long time.

Second, Tsutaja is alright, but I'd hardly rank it above Pokabu and Mijumaru. IMHO it's the ugliest of the bunch.
    -----------------

I'll probably end up buying both black and white (black first) and starting off with Mijumaru in black and Pokabu in white..If they do a 3rd installment I'll choose Tsutaja (well it might be in 2nd if Pokabu's evos are hideous).

I really hate the water starter i think its very odd and i don't like its dimples and its plain bald head. tHE FIRE STARTER ISNT THT BAD BECAUSE HE'S NOT WEIRD JUST THE FACT THAT HE LOOKS LIKE GRUMPIG. THE GRASS STARTER IS REAL COOL AND HE LOOKS A LOT LIKE TREEKO WHICH I LIKE A LOT (ESPEACIALLY SCEPTILE) WHAT MAKES HIM DIFFERENT IS THAT I THINK HE FITS IN THE MOST WITH THE OLDER POKEMON AND HE'S COOL WITH THOSE EYES.

1) Mijumaru is a sea otter. His dimples and everyting to him are there to make him appear more like one. If it didn't have them then it would look like a clown xD. Why the hate for the water type? They've always been good starters to choose. And it's not bald. If Mijumaru is bald then what are the rest of the starters? The only ones that I can think of that definitely have hair are torchic and chimchar (since both are hairy). Other than them the rest of the starters are...'bald.' Maybe Mijumaru will get hairier when it evovles into a full-grown sea otter.

2) Yeah I thought Grumpig at first too, but Pokabu is cute and will more than likely turn into a beastly evo.

3) Tsutaja fits in with the other 12 starters yet the other two don't? Are you high or some m'? All of them fit in imo, they're not suppose to resemble the others really they're suppose to stand out. The eyes are the coolest part of Tsutaja it's the body that I can't stand.

Last edited:

Chocos0

Eclipse the Umbreon
    Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2012
    That water type an insult to water starters! My favourite type!

Well, not really... Just it's face looks... Weird..
    I would pick the Grass type for the 5th Generation, like I did for the 4th Generation.
    I've always picked the fire or water type in most regions. Until I looked at those 2, they look bad.
    But the grass one, honestly looks mature enough to be picked as a starter.

Last edited:

StrickeN

The mighty force will Strike
    Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2010
    Personally for Me I like all the designs.

I don't understand the utter hatred of the Sea Otter.

I think the little Otter looks cool and will probably have a cool evo chain. I mean hell, Piplup has always to me looked the most stupid but his final evo was awesome.

Pikabu looks pretty cool as well. I mean his picture is a little weird but hell they are digitalized animals given aspects of elements, so they all look weird to some. but I think I'll pick the Snake first and see how it goes.

Hell, I'll probably restart after completion several times before I choose a solid favorite. but for now, snake plz.

and I know I didn't type their names, I just don't feel like typing out the weird names on this keyboard that barely works :)

loliwin

→ Level 69
    Years
    I'm definitely going with the sea otter, Mijumaru. I'm in absolute love with its design. And when it goes into its final evolution, I feel like it is going to turn into this completely massive beast that will wreak insane havoc. Maybe it can be more powerful than Arceus loolll.

Tsutaja looks fine, but I'm not really fond of grass starters. The pig looks fine as well, but i've always gone with the fire starter in the past games. :(

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    /looks at votes

It appears Mijumaru isn't as despised as I once conceived.

Poor Pokabu.

And Tsutaaja is still awesome sauce, JS.

Indeed. Tsutaja is riding on the crest of a wave of "OMG LOL SNAKEZ R BADAZZ", and Mijumaru is getting a lot of sympathy votes following the initial hate from those who don't understand that cute and cool aren't independent of one another.

Pokabu is the archetypal middle child, and is being ignored.

Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2012
    Shamelessly stolen from Serebii forums :P Credit goes to Sheimi-Shaymin of serebii.

For the confused minds, this is a fan art and an awesome one at that. As you can see, the grass starter already grew on me.
    The Starter Discussion Thread

Um... sorry to interrupt, but where did you find this?

This is from my deviantART account (I'm Delthero over there), and if you found it there, I would have much rather that you gave permission for it, rather than just posting it here. If you found it somewhere else, please tell me where, because that person posted it without my permission, and likely gave the credit to themselves.

Want proof? Here's the original deviation I posted- https://delthero.deviantart.com/#/d2pq0m7

Sorry to butt in like this, I just really don't like my artwork being stolen. Thanks again. ^^

~Starry

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
    I'm definitely going to be starting with Pokabu. I have always picked the Fire-type starter during my first playthrough of past games and I'm not going to stop now. Besides, it doesn't hurt that Pokabu is absolutely adorable as well. :3

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
    Years
    As much as I want to get Mijumaju (did I spell that right?) because it's an otter (which I love), I am definintely going to get Pokabu.

You know why?

He reminds me of Gu-chan from Full Moon wo Sagashite. If I do not call myself Madoka and choose Gu-chan, I will be missing a great oppurtunity for that fandom.

Yeah. I'm gonna own a pet pig! :D:D:D:D

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
    Um... sorry to interrupt, but where did you find this?

This is from my deviantART account (I'm Delthero over there), and if you found it there, I would have much rather that you gave permission for it, rather than just posting it here. If you found it somewhere else, please tell me where, because that person posted it without my permission, and likely gave the credit to themselves.

Want proof? Here's the original deviation I posted- https://delthero.deviantart.com/#/d2pq0m7

Sorry to butt in like this, I just really don't like my artwork being stolen. Thanks again. ^^

~Starry
    You created that!? It looks awesome, nice job, seriously!

*ahem* Back on topic...
    I really like all 3 of them, I think I'll get them all 3 by trading.

Okami Chi

El Guitar Man~
    Years
    Hah, I hate these types of threads, but I came here so surprised that it wasn't already created within the few minutes this forum was public.

So there are three starters, of course. All with the basic types: fire, grass, and water.

So, for the purpose of starting a discussion, what's your favorite starter available?

• Tsutaaja (ツタージャ) is the Grass Snake Pokemon, its ability is Overgrow, it is 0.6 m (2 ft) tall, and it weighs 8.1 kg (17.9 lbs). "Tsuta" means "ivy" and "ja" is one way of saying the word "snake."
    • Pokabu (ポカブ) is the Fire Pig Pokemon, its ability is Blaze, it stands 0.6 m (2 ft) tall, and it weighs 9.9 kg (21.9 lbs). The name derives from "pokapoka," which means "warm" in Japanese, and "bu," the sound a pig makes in Japanese culture (here it's "oink").
    • Mijumaru (ミジュマル) is the Sea Otter Pokemon, its ability is Torrent, it is 0.5 m (1.6 ft) tall, and it weighs 5.9 kg (13 lbs). "Mijuku" means "immature" and "maru" means "round" or "ball."

I'm doing all three, well for now. I'll find out when they evolve. But for now, all of them.

-Okami

Alexeon

← from acrøss T·I·M·E ☆
    Years
    Based on first evos, I'm leaning towards Tsutaaja, for obvious reasons. xD But the other starters are great, too, so it's hard to say. My biggest fear is that Tsutaaja's final form may end up looking horrible...

Though I'd love it if it did turn into a Dragon, like in that awesome concept sketch StarryLatiasGirl presented. x.x Just hoping the final evos don't disappoint me too greatly because I'm really looking forward to this gen~ (so pessimistic -_-)

raekuul

Team Anorith Grunt
    Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2017
    Besides, to come to their defense there are only 493 pokemon and over 2 million species alive on this planet (many left undiscovered). If you didn't mind seeing totally new pokes that resembled an animal you had no clue of then pkmn could go on for a long time.

And wind up with two million gimmick-y bug types :p

Seriously, most of our unknown monsters are in Arthropoda, so it stands to reason that we'll end up with a flood of bug types at some point.

I would probably go with the Grass starter to make up for having never even touched Turtwig.

Name Ideas: Leavenom, Wotter (duh), and Baykin

Years

That is probably one of the best evolution chains I've ever seen. Even though it's fanart. It reminds me a lot of the Treecko evolution chain, which is one of the very few chains that capture nearly every single aspect of the original Pokémon and expand upon each aspect of it. I'm really hoping that Tsutaaja's evolution chain plays out something like this. That final evolution stage is just... omg. <3

I SERIOUSLY hope the grass starter will look like that - those pictures are amazing!!

I picked the grass type, because in all honesty it's the only design that I like.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back