• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Starter Discussion Thread

Which starter will you be choosing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SonicThrust

Ice Cream <3
    Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2013
    I don't like any of the new starter designs. I guess the grass one is the least horrible one though.

I'll be starting with Pokabu because I pretty much always start with the fire starter and since I don't like any of them it doesn't really matter. I'll probably just box it.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    These starters give me a great feeling of what is to come from the rest of the region...

Esmas

General
    Years
    Tsutarja is my favourite, like most others', but Pokabu is a close runner-up. I just haven't gotten used to Mijumaru's design, probably because I hate otters >__< Hopefully their evolutions are just as epic :D

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2013
    They should give the starters a signature move:

Pokabu: Bacon slap
    Tsutuja: Big mean eye
    Mijumaru: Shell throw

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2011
    Tsutarja and Pokabu look awesome imo.
    I'm still not used to
    Mijumaru but hopefully that'll change.
    When it comes down to choosing I'll pick Pokabu. :D

Last edited:

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    Well, I was already going to use the Fire-type no matter what... but although I like all three, I really just plain like Pokabu the most. I have high hopes for his final evolution. I'll use all three across the various versions, though.

(and I'll team that pig up with a Squirtle. Prepare for the greatest Pokebromance ever)

Years
    Well....I think Pokabu would more or less likely to be a wild hog/swine that's Fire/Steel, Mijumaru.....I don't know, Rock? Also, Tsutaja looks a lot like Dragon but will likely become Poison or Flying.

Years
    I think I like Pokabu the best at present. Especially if he turns into a badass boar. I hope they do his line well. Too bad he's condemned to be a permanent bacon/ham/pork/etc. joke.

Tsutaaja comes in second for me. He's okay. I am irked by the fact that he's stated to be a "grass snake" while I clearly see the presence of limbs. That notwithstanding, I'd let it slide if he evolved into some kind of dragon similar to the one posted in that fan art earlier in the thread, or became more snake-like (ie lose the limbs.) The latter would make sense, since scientists believe that lizards evolved into snakes, and not vice versa.

Not much a fan of Mijumaru. Not hating on him, just saying he doesn't really appeal to me. At first I thought he was terrible. Some fan art has made me think he's a little bit cute. Maybe he'll grow on me more. We'll see.

I won't say which one I'll choose until I see the evolution lines though, because a pokemon cannot reach it's max battle potentional unless it's fully evolved. Which is an aspect of pokemon that has always kind of annoyed me. I don't always WANT to evolve my pokemon, but that kind of forces me to if I want them to be battle contenders. Oh well.

Last edited:

livelyhans

Verdanturf Town Trainer
    Years
    Hahaha..see..? i just vote Tsutaja.. and i luv it when Tsutaja's Voter are the most... evryone knows that Tsutaja is the best.. and about Mijumaru i don't like it's head... like an ice-cream poncho.... about Pokabu..? no comment..

lucy_goosey

10 years and counting...
    Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2011
    Actually I think I might choose Pokabu. I love fire starters and he's kind of grown on me :) That or Tsutaaja.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    When I first saw them, I leaned towards Pokabu. Even when they were just silhouettes, I like it the best, which is odd. Then when they were released, I was happy that my favorite silhouette was a Fire-type and was adorable with detail, because it meant that once again, I would be picking the Fire-type starter.

Then I saw that Mijumaru was described as "odd"-looking, that no one knew what it was supposed to be. And then I saw some fanart used as icons that made Mijumaru look better than the official art. Since I always tend to like those things that other people don't like, I started to like Mijumaru more.

Tsutarja's tail will always make me think it's related to Flygon. It has the same shape to it, and the fins. So maybe, as someone else said, it'll have dragon characteristics, since it really doesn't strike me as a snake yet.

To make my final say, I'm still holding out for the final evolutions, to see what they look like. Then I'll know for sure which one I like the most out of the three.

luke

Master of the Elements
    Years
    Pokabu <3 >
    The Starter Discussion Thread

Please don't surprass the four word limit we have in place.

And I'm definitely going to start with all three because I love them all.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    I prefer starting with all 3, but my main man will be Pokabu. Aside from Generation IV, I always go with the Fire-type starter in-game. I'm especially excited to see the evos in the games! :) (Also hoping that one of the evo names in English is Pignition...)

EDIT: Ugh...I wish people didn't bring up the Flygon reference when referring to Tsutaja... That just made its design seem less innovative... I also looked at the color scheme for Chikorita, which dampened the innovation even more... But don't get me wrong, all the Gen V starters are awesome, including Tsutaja! Maybe the evos will be enough to differentiate them so that their designs are more unique despite incorporating similar color schemes of other Pokemon...

I wonder how I'd feel if Flygon was made to be Tsutaja's evo instead of being Trapinch's...one of the reasons I like Flygon being situated in the Trapinch line is because its design is similar to Vibrava's, yet radically different from Trapinch's...

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    I prefer starting with all 3, but my main man will be Pokabu. Aside from Generation IV, I always go with the Fire-type starter in-game. I'm especially excited to see the evos in the games! :) (Also hoping that one of the evo names in English is Pignition...)

Best English names for Pokabu's evolutionary family I've heard are Pignition, Emboar and Blazorback. How cool would that be.

Years
    I for one despise the fire type starter. The fire-type starters have been able to stand on two legs....except for now. The grass type starter reminds me of Flygon/Sceptile so that's a plus. I like the idea of a sea otter pokemon and I'm glad he's a starter.

I hope the final evolutions are wicked.

what about cyndaquil? hes sometimes on 4 sometimes on 2, maybe its like that

Years
    • Seen May 25, 2010
    I would like to see their evolutions before I can really say. But from what we already know, I think Tsutaaja is the most appealing, upon seeing him I'd have to say he really caught my eye.

Even the fan art evolutions for him look amazing.

linkinpark187

Computer Tech
    Years
    I never noticed, until recently, that I've got the bad habit of picking the Grass starter. Chances are, I'll go with Tsutaaja, but eventually I'll have all 3.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 17, 2016
    Well so far the grass and fire starters both look awesome. I'll base my decision on who I pick on their final evolutions.

I don't see myself picking the otter though <_<

Years

That is probably one of the best evolution chains I've ever seen. Even though it's fanart. It reminds me a lot of the Treecko evolution chain, which is one of the very few chains that capture nearly every single aspect of the original Pokémon and expand upon each aspect of it. I'm really hoping that Tsutaaja's evolution chain plays out something like this. That final evolution stage is just... omg. <3

That actually looks epically amazing.

Unfortunately, in terms of Pokemon actually being useful... generation after generation, the Water starter has noticeably outclassed its fellows so it's likely I will go with the otter in Gen V ;o

knook

Standing on the Sun
    Years
    I like the look of Pokabu so I'll be choosing him. I also hold out a lot of hope for what he could evolve into.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back