• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Starter Discussion Thread

Which starter will you be choosing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Yeah, it's an English nickname many people are giving Tsutaja, pretty much. I actually won't be surprised if that were to be Tsutaja's official name in the English versions.

I really doubt it. Fan-made names don't turn out to usually be official names. Besides... isn't the meaning of its Japanese name "grass snake" or something (or is that the breed? idk). But I do know that Bayleef isn't spelt as "bay leaf", so even if it were so, the proper spelling might not actually be used.

Bay

Years

• I really doubt it. Fan-made names don't turn out to usually be official names. Besides... isn't the meaning of its Japanese name "grass snake" or something (or is that the breed? idk). But I do know that Bayleef isn't spelt as "bay leaf", so even if it were so, the proper spelling might not actually be used.
    I don't think it'll be used either and I also know fan made names usually don't turn out to be official names. However, if Smugleaf is to be used, again I won't be shock by it considering it does kinda fit that Pokemon well. Eh, either way, whether Smugleaf is used or not as the official name I don't care.

As for the grass snake comment, yeah from what I heard Tsutaja is a grass snake and it's suppose to be that breed.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I guess if Smugleaf is used, then it shows the extent that the Internet can affect decisions in real life (or just for naming Pokemon, whatevs), and just a little off that topic here, have any other fan-made names been used that anyone knows of?

Bay

Years
  • I guess if Smugleaf is used, then it shows the extent that the Internet can affect decisions in real life (or just for naming Pokemon, whatevs), and just a little off that topic here, have any other fan-made names been used that anyone knows of?
    Heh, yeah. That's the power of the internet, sometimes. D: Also, the only other fan-made name I heard is many people calling Wooguru (the eagle Pokemon) Wargle.

I disagreed with the naming of Smugleaf. I just use Tsutaaja and always will use it until I hear a good English name from it. :(
    I kinda like the name Smugleaf for some reason. XD However, I do think there should be a better English name for it than Smugleaf and we'll know the confirmed English name sooner or later.

Last edited:

Jaiyke

Dog Wizard
    Years
  • was the new move called Coil (it's a poison move) Tsutaaja's move?
    if it is.. that seriously has me worried that it'll be Grass/Poison e.e

if he/she is Grass/Poison i will be extremely upset but i'll still pick him/her =P

Bay

Years
  • was the new move called Coil (it's a poison move) Tsutaaja's move?
    if it is.. that seriously has me worried that it'll be Grass/Poison e.e

if he/she is Grass/Poison i will be extremely upset but i'll still pick him/her =P
    Yeah, Coil is a poison move. Not sure if you meant Tsutaja or its evolutions there, but if you meant Tsutaja, no it won't be poison. It's already confirmed it's grass.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Yeah, Coil is a poison move. Not sure if you meant Tsutaja or its evolutions there, but if you meant Tsutaja, no it won't be poison. It's already confirmed it's grass.
    He's saying he's worried that it's evolutions will be part Poison-type. Like the way Mudkip becomes a half Ground-type after evolving.

Tsutaja is the only one of its evolution line to have its type confirmed.

Bay

Years
  • He's saying he's worried that it's evolutions will be part Poison-type. Like the way Mudkip becomes a half Ground-type after evolving.

Tsutaja is the only one of its evolution line to have its type confirmed.
    Okay. The way he used "it" though made me thought he was talking about Tsutaja. If he said "its evolutions" or something like that, then it would make more sense what he was trying to say.

Jaiyke

Dog Wizard
    Years
  • yeah i know Tsutaaja is all Grass
    shoulda said i'm afraid it will -become- Grass Poison =P

i just think there are too many Grass Poison >.<
    and it'll just make more and more people say it's a Venusaur ripoff x(
    and IF Pokabu evolves into Fire/Ground.... uugh >.>
    but Pokabu's move Nitro Charge sounds pretty awesome makes me think it'll be an Attacker instead of a Special Attacker =P

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • Gen 1, only WATER type was had SINGLE TYPING.
    Gen 3, only GRASS type had SINGLE TYPING
    Gen 5, I think Pokabu will only be Fire. Like a pattern, it's FIRE's turn to have SINGLE TYPING.

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
  • Y'know I'd love it if when they evolve they'd turn up like this:
    Tsutaja evo Grass/Dark
    Pokabu evo Fire/Psychic (but prob is peeps would say its a Grumpig ripoff)
    Mjumaru Water/Fighting

That way everyone has an advantage and disadvantage over everyone (would make sense)

Your opinons?

TheNewRocketMovement

Nothing suits me like a suit.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2010
    Y'know I'd love it if when they evolve they'd turn up like this:
    Tsutaja evo Grass/Dark
    Pokabu evo Fire/Psychic (but prob is peeps would say its a Grumpig ripoff)
    Mjumaru Water/Fighting

That way everyone has an advantage and disadvantage over everyone (would make sense)

Your opinons?

Not a bad idea, I love the thought of Dark, Psychic and Fighting being used as secondary types, but I'd prefer the final evolutions to be:

Fire/Dark
    Water/Fighting
    Grass/Psychic

That way each starter would be able to destroy another one, and stand no chance against the other. I started designing starters with final evolutions like this a few weeks ago, the Fire/Dark starter evolved into a Sabertooth Tiger and the Water/Fighting starter became a dinosaur, I'd love to see Nintendo give these secondary types to the evolved starters.

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
  • Not a bad idea, I love the thought of Dark, Psychic and Fighting being used as secondary types, but I'd prefer the final evolutions to be:

Fire/Dark
    Water/Fighting
    Grass/Psychic

That way each starter would be able to destroy another one, and stand no chance against the other. I started designing starters with final evolutions like this a few weeks ago, the Fire/Dark starter evolved into a Sabertooth Tiger and the Water/Fighting starter became a dinosaur, I'd love to see Nintendo give these secondary types to the evolved starters.

That sounds cool too although I think my types are more likely
    The Anime Beta showed possible evos for tsutaja and Mijumaru and they looked like what I predicted although we still don't know about Pokabu

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • I've had that idea for so long, but never said it out :P That's why I think Pokabu will evolve to some Sensei Hog with a long white beard and stuff :)

Oh oh Brainstorm! If Pokabu turns to a Sensei and Mijumaru turns to a Samurai - what Japanese trait is Dark/Sneaky? OMG Tsutajaa to be a Ninja? :o

Last edited:

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I find all the starters to be cute, but I'm still waiting to see the evolutions for all of them. Then I will be able to decide which one I'll be taking.
    But I find myself loving Tsutaja. I love the design of Tsutaja and I favorite grass type pokémon. Tsutaja also has this pointy look that I absolutely adore.

However, I'm still going to wait to see all the evolutions for each of them. xD

Years
  • I always pick the Fire type, so I think for B&W I'll go for something different. Leaning towards the water type because he looks fun :P

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
  • I've had that idea for so long, but never said it out :P That's why I think Pokabu will evolve to some Sensei Hog with a long white beard and stuff :)

Oh oh Brainstorm! If Pokabu turns to a Sensei and Mijumaru turns to a Samurai - what Japanese trait is Dark/Sneaky? OMG Tsutajaa to be a Ninja? :o

LMAFO I just pissed my pants when I read this:D

Years
  • Regardless I pick the fire starter. Even if its the weakest, ugliest, etc.
    Somethin i've been doin ever since i first started these games.

Storm_has_formed

"The Storm is here!!!"
    Years
  • Not a bad idea, I love the thought of Dark, Psychic and Fighting being used as secondary types, but I'd prefer the final evolutions to be:

Fire/Dark
    Water/Fighting
    Grass/Psychic

Grass/Psychic stands no chance at all against Fire/Dark... Psychic does not effect dark at all

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back