• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Starter Discussion Thread

Which starter will you be choosing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2010
    If it wasn't on Mijumaru's evo-line, I'd like it the same. It's just plain ugly. That shell-horn is awful... :/ But yeah, it would be better!

(also, I know they're confirmed [sort of!], but it would be so cool if all the three last stages were fake... I'd laugh so much. Like it was a prank and then when your Futachimaru was evolving, it turned out to be awesome! xD)

But I'll go, and save this last part to the dreams! xD See ya, guys!

AadmM

I AM THE BRAINWASHAAAA
    Years
    Actually is wish it was Majimaru that was bipedal in it's final form and Pokabu be Quadpedal...the should have done that...

YES. Why they felt the need to flip-flop things the way they did is beyond me. We didn't need another Fire/Fighting type anyway...and the "samurai" thing Sugimori had in mind for Miju would have worked so much better for something that, you know, stands upright.

Years
    Boohoo...I remember the simpler days when nobody knew what the starters would evolve into. I was SO positive Mijumaru would be Water/Fighting, Pokabu would be Fire/Ground (GROUND BECUZ OF MUD, AND IT'S A PIG, GET IT? :B), and Tsutaja would be either Grass/Flying, Grass/Dark or Grass/Poison (as boring as it is).

Ah, well... Might as well accept what GF has given us... A wrestling clown pig, a Milotic-like snake, and some type of weird sea lion/unicorn mixed creature. O_O

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Boohoo...I remember the simpler days when nobody knew what the starters would evolve into. I was SO positive Mijumaru would be Water/Fighting, Pokabu would be Fire/Ground (GROUND BECUZ OF MUD, AND IT'S A PIG, GET IT? :B), and Tsutaja would be either Grass/Flying, Grass/Dark or Grass/Poison (as boring as it is).

Ah, well... Might as well accept what GF has given us... A wrestling clown pig, a Milotic-like snake, and some type of weird sea lion/unicorn mixed creature. O_O
    It's not a Horn it's it's Katana which it puts on top of it's head...What if Majimaru could stand up in it's Battle spite :3

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2010

Fortunately, it's not like that anymore. Imagine yourself choosing Mijumaru, evolving into a Futachimaru and thinking "what an awesome evo!" and then evolving into that horrible looking beast! It would be scary! xD

Years

It's not a Horn it's it's Katana which it puts on top of it's head...What if Majimaru could stand up in it's Battle spite :3

Lol, if Sealionotter thing were to wield the conch on its head, it would be a club. xD

EDIT: @FST: ZOMG, that would be hilarious for the people who don't like to spoil themselves by looking at the new Pokemon. They have no idea how the starters will evolve. It's like Mijumaru evolves once, and they're thinking, "wow, that looks pretty cool!!". Then it evolves into its final form, and they start freaking out. x3

Years

Well that's what was said in the interview that it had a Katana so I'm guessing it uses it's Shell similar to how a Katana is, also that art work isn't final I hope it has more detail :)

Pleeeaaase let there be some sort of breakthrough for the final evolutions. I hope they look SLIGHTLY better than the pics that were shown... Even though I know I'll still hate them regardless. xD

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2010
    Lol, if Sealionotter thing were to wield the conch on its head, it would be a club. xD

EDIT: @FST: ZOMG, that would be hilarious for the people who don't like to spoil themselves by looking at the new Pokemon. They have no idea how the starters will evolve. It's like Mijumaru evolves once, and they're thinking, "wow, that looks pretty cool!!". Then it evolves into its final form, and they start freaking out. x3

Imagine the horror! That image would haunt those people's lives forever! Like, totally burnt on their retinas! xD

Yeah, pretty much hilarious. xD

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    Mark my words. Two years from now, we'll all have a relatively neutral opinion on Smuglord, Boarbecue, and Narwotter (God, I hate these silly fan names. >_<), and having used them in battles, we may actually like one or all three of them.

I don't feel like digging up an old thread from the DPP board, but when Torterra, Infernape, and Empoleon were leaked four years ago, there was a big hoopla over how ugly they were and (especially in Infernape's case) how unoriginal they were. Yet nowadays, most people favor at least one of them. :/

Bottom line: stop complaining and look at the positive aspects of each. XD

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2010
    If only there were positive aspects. xD

Also, I wasn't here when there were leaks of the previous gen's starter's evos. xD But my opinion of them remains the same as the first time I saw them. Awesome looking first stages, like this gen. Awesome evo-line for Turtwig. Then we have a not so good looking Prinplup and Empeleon (although they're not so bad either), and a cool Infernape, that just doesn't cut it. I mean, he looks cool, but for a second stage, not third. xD But enough chit-chat about the previous gens starter's.

AadmM

I AM THE BRAINWASHAAAA
    Years
    For the record, I've never thought any of the Sinnoh starters were ugly. Or the Hoenn ones, for that matter. Heck, when it comes to new Pokemon, I'm probably one of the most optimistic people you'll ever meet.

For me to dislike a Pokemon...is a pretty rare occurence. :P

Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2011
    Of course everybody's gonna grow onto them.
    That's the beauty of new Pokemon and opinions.

I don't necessarily care if the final evos come out to be true.
    But I wouldn't mind if they were fake.

If you get what I'm saying.

Alaskan Husky

lux aeterna
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2013
    mehhhhhhhhh

I don't really mind the aesthetics of the supposed starter evos - I quite like them, in fact - it's just the typings that bug me. I mean, Water/Fire-Fight/Grass? I don't care for that much on a competitive standpoint, but the typings make sense, I guess. :s I'm not fond of Fire/Fighting for three straight gens, though. Good typing, but the combo's getting old. At least, for a starter. Pokabu looked like it could have definitely been a Fire/Ground type; Miju, Water/Fight; and Tsutaja, Grass/something. Called pure Grass from the beginning, though, to be honest, lol. Ah, well, no more complaining, since I'm quite sure they're real.

Though, I must admit, I really did have to look twice at Miju3 to know what it was. o.o; I thought it was a unicorn at first, lol.

PsychoJigglypuff

Crazy and Loving It!
    Years
    Mark my words. Two years from now, we'll all have a relatively neutral opinion on Smuglord, Boarbecue, and Narwotter (God, I hate these silly fan names. >_<), and having used them in battles, we may actually like one or all three of them.

I don't feel like digging up an old thread from the DPP board, but when Torterra, Infernape, and Empoleon were leaked four years ago, there was a big hoopla over how ugly they were and (especially in Infernape's case) how unoriginal they were. Yet nowadays, most people favor at least one of them. :/

Bottom line: stop complaining and look at the positive aspects of each. XD

Ah, yes. Back in the day... I'm sure that after the games have been out for a while and people actually use them, they'll like 'em more.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    Oh my.

Are you serious.

Hoenn. Sinnoh. Isshu.
    Fire. Fighting. Fire/Fighting.
    3. In. A row.
    7 straight years.

And the other 2 starter evo's don't even have a 2nd type yet, but they HAD to let us know that once again the Fire starter will be Double-F'd again?

The Starter Discussion Thread

FIRE/FIGHTING AGAIN?!?!?!?!?! :cer_pissed: :pink_pissed:

The quoted post equal my sentiments exactly. 15 other types that Fire can be combined with, but we had to get Fire/Fighting for the third generation in a row. And this Gen is supposed to be a rebirth of Pokemon... :cer_blankstare::cer_confused: What is this, a new running gag for Fire starters now...? I was pulling for Fire/Dark after Pokabu had been revealed for a while. And Pokabu's quadrupedalism gave me hope that the Fire/Fighting combo wouldn't be used for Generation V... But seeing Cyndaquil being quadrupedal and its evos being more or less bipedal (though can switch to being quadruped), I should've expected that something like this could happen...

The "Fire/Fighting" deal was the main reason I didn't pick Chimchar for Generation IV (while I haven't actually entered Gen IV yet, I intend on picking Turtwig instead, breaking my "Fire-type starter" trend :\)

Anyway, on to my review, since the evos are pretty much confirmed (IMO, NOTHING is 100% until the actual games are released. If Iris being announced as an anime-only character can be revoked, seeing as she is now in-game, then these images can be revoked too. Heck, we might even have the chance of a Light-type...):

Pokabu Family:
    Spoiler:

While the first one screams "Cute+tough" simultaneously, the second one looks like it tries to be tough but fails (then again, it seems to me that all of the starters' second-stages seem like the hardest ones to make look decent). The third one...while I like the Chinese motif, I have to see official artwork first... The face looks very iffy to me.

A plus for it is that its tail is NOT on fire (a trait I reserve only for the Charmander family, and became the second reason of why I slightly disliked Chimchar); instead, its neck is in flames. Props for an attempt at originality, I guess. I really feel that Game Freak/Sugimori/the artist could've done a lot better job with the design, but the design is actually decent. It could be worse, and I'm glad it's not. I'll just learn to like it over time, since I actually want to reinstate my Fire-type starter trend with Generation V...

Finally, where is the bomb that is supposed to be built into Pokabu's final stage's design? :\ Pokabu's tail hints at a bomb fuse in its later evos, IMO...

Spoiler:

And if Fire/Dark does not come out as the actual typing, I'll just teach it a decent Dark-type move to make up for it (maybe Punishment?)

Tsutaaja Family:
    Spoiler:

Tsutaaja's smugness is an instant 10/10, with a nice color scheme as well. :) The second evo is decent, but it looks too...not-smug-anymore. Or maybe too graceful now...? And the third evo is almost inexcusable - IMO, it screams "poor quality Fakemon", and I'd really hate to do that to a starter's final evo. I understand the loss of limbs upon the second evolution, but seriously? That's the best Game Freak came up with?

Mijumaru Family

Spoiler:

And finally, Gen V's Woobie, Mijumaru. The first stage is SO FREAKING CUTE! As evidenced by this pic:

Spoiler:

^For shame, Trainers! ;) Anyway, at least Mijumaru's second stage evo looks like he's preparing for battle, and it's a decent design. The third stage however... Words cannot describe my disappointment. The oddly placed mustache and shells...exactly where am I supposed to think samurai?

And oddly enough, Mijumaru started out being bipedal for 2 stages, then goes quadrupedal out of nowhere! Seriously...it's like someone is trying to screw Mijumaru over. And even though I'm starting with Pokabu, I thought Mijumaru's final evo would be the one to look like it would pwn any and all Pokemon opponents... *cries*
    The Starter Discussion Thread
    :cer_frown::cer_cry:

Fortunately, it's not like that anymore. Imagine yourself choosing Mijumaru, evolving into a Futachimaru and thinking "what an awesome evo!" and then evolving into that horrible looking beast! It would be scary! xD

If Mijumaru's evos all turn out to be real, I pity any Trainer who has to go through that scene. That is the exact reason we need Devolution Spray!

The only hope I have now is that all of the final stage evos that are currently rumored are fake, and the real ones won't be seen until the actual release of Pokemon Black and White Versions. Maybe whoever leaked the sprites only got a hold of the second-stage ones and created the fake third-stage sprites to fool everyone...? I'm really hoping Game Freak can surprise us this Gen, though, since I'm actually looking forward to the games... :\

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back