• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Starter Discussion Thread

Which starter will you be choosing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JP

wut?
Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    Come to think of it I dont know why fire/dark would be to "strong" that early on in the game. I kinda understand why they might not want to use that typeing for starters, but I dont seem to see why that wouldn't work, especially since the starters would be fully evolved usually mid point through the gym battles, like 4th and 5th gym leaders, depending if you train your starter in the grass so the gyms are easy. By that time you would have already encountered dark type pokemon. So I actually think that having Enbuoo as a dark type would have worked just fine.

Come to think of it... you encounter Dark type Pokemon pretty early in this game... The purple Cat and Dark/Ground Crocodile. So yeah, I agree a Fire/Dark type as a starter would have been just fine.

In the end, there's nothing we can do about this guy though. I've come to terms with it's typing, and I'm enjoying using it. All we can do is hope the next one will have a cooler typing. :P

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I think the starters are perfect as they are... I just see a lot of resemblance when I have a swampert next to mijumaru's final evolution...

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • I like Swampert better than the 5th gen water evo. Swamperts design made sense, resembled greatly its two pre evolutions and its design is also much more simplistic. I think I like those more simplistic old school designs better than the ones they are starting to apply to some pokemon, like this new water starter (I really need to memorize its name).

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I like Swampert better than the 5th gen water evo. Swamperts design made sense, resembled greatly its two pre evolutions and its design is also much more simplistic. I think I like those more simplistic old school designs better than the ones they are starting to apply to some pokemon, like this new water starter (I really need to memorize its name).
    Yeah Swampert was one of simplest looking water starters in my opinion but I like the unsimple starters too :)

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Its just the padding on its limbs that look similar to Swampert now that I look at it.

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
    Years
  • I despise the Fire type starter. To many fire/fighting starters i'm going water all the way

Agreed. We are now already having Fire/fighting. Fire/fighting has been used three times already. Other types besides fighting would be great. I was going to go with Water but I went with grass. I'm going with Water once the English version comes out.

#Emochu

ujhgjkjhgkujhjkhjkhkhkhhk hjkhj
    Years
  • What part of the Chinese Zodiac is Cyndaquil based on? If this is what they are thinking though, Fire/Poison would also be a good type for a snake.

The rat, I think thy're always based on the zodiac because its hard to think of a fire creature but its easier for water and grass.

I'm choosing Mijumaru BTW.

And I'm keeping him on my team, not like every other gen >_>, but seriously I put my starter in the PC in every game i've played(except crystal but I put Typhlosion away in SS)

OceanBluue

Water Pokemon Lover
    Years
  • As you can tell, I'm a gigantic lover of water pokemon. Every single generation I've played, I've chosen the water starter. Squirtle, Totodile, Mudkip, and Piplup. But I think I might choose the grass starter this time.

I mean seriously, just based on how it looks, the final evolution of Mijumaru is absolutely embarrassing! I personally think it looks awful.

I'm disappointed with this generation's starters ..

A Pixy

Cruel?
    Years
  • Starting with a grass type in Black! I don't like the fire pig nor the water otter! The Grass Snake is Awesome.

The Starter Discussion Thread

Anything called Smugleaf has to be awesome. o3o

ScentedLove

Hopeless Romantic
    Years
  • I really love Tsutaja and it's evolutions and frankly I think I'm one of the few that loves it's last evolution. Sure the typing could of been better but it's grown on me.

HirakuNoShadow

Au contraire mon frère.
    Years
  • It would've been cool if Jaroda's typings were something like Grass / Dragon (although I'm pretty sure there won't be any starters that come anywhere near dragon-types any time soon) with a better movepool and offensive stats.

Purely because of its amazing looking back sprite of Enbuoo, I've chosen Pokabu as my starter. Despite having great offensive stats, I am somewhat disappointed that it didn't get much of neither speed nor bulk, which would mean that it would be outclassed pretty badly by SB Blaziken and Infernape...

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2010
    Is it just me or does Ash's Mijumaru look far cuter than the Mijumaru we get in-game? And holy ****! I just battled Cheren's Futachimaru and it is strong! Took out two of my grass pokemon with just shellblade. Although admitted I was 3 levels below it.

Jerme

stupid
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    it just seems these evolutions make no sense at all

smugleaf & evo was a lizard standing on 2 legs, then it ends up being a snake. (i love it though, i picked it).

now pokabu, 4 legged cute pig, evolves into idk, then evolves into...ganon

then wotter, its evo makes sense. but the final doesnt at all...sure its a kick ass design but where the hell did it come from?

Jaiyke

Dog Wizard
    Years
  • ^ to Above Jaroda DOES! Have Arms... How does everyone miss it?
    They're Folded Behind His "back" ='DD

i love Jaroda imma make a Drawing AND a Picture in Honor of it pretty soon ;DD

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back