• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The thing on Slowbro's Tail ????

Sajin

Pokemon Expert
Years
  • If you've ever seen a slowbro, you know it has that weird thing on the back of its tail. In the anime, it says that its actually a shellder that clamped on to its tail, but it still has me wondering, is it actually a pokemon. And will you ever be able to catch on in later pokemon games? Seriously what is that thing?

The Scientist

PKMN Scientist/Mathemagician
    Years
  • I think that it's an alternate semi-evolution of Shellder, and that the change in its typical evolutionary pattern was triggered by a clause of sorts in its instincts/genes.

public class Shellder;
    public static void main( String args[] );

if{attached to Slowbro
    then{evolve to Spiral Shellder

else{evolve to Cloyster}}}

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
  • I just think it's an alternate form/evolution of Shellder, when it clamps onto Slowpokes tail. Though I will agree, it does look...wierd. :(

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Yeah it does look weird but its just a shellder that grew that way or evolved after certain primitive instincts came into play.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • Shellder can't turn into the shape you see without being attached to a Slowbro, making it impossible to catch it alone.

Penumbra

Do you enjoy reading this?
    Years
  • Todoroki said:
    It's probably just mutated. Right? ;D

I don't get how the thing dies, though. Once it attaches to the head of a slowpoke, it magically loses it's eyeballs and grows a gem (if I remember slowking correctly). That thing has always creeped me out. It looks nothing like shellder, though...

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • What happens if the shell was dislodged from the Slowbro. What will happen? Is this accounted as an actual evolution of Shellder? What happens if you mate a Slowpoke and Shellder? Will they breed successfully? Or, will you get a Slowbro in return?

All these questions are and still is unanswered in the anime. =/

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
  • Will people stop asking this question!!!!!
    Seriously, it's freaking rediculos.

If you can believe that a lizard can grow wings then why can't you believe a bivalve can become a gastropod?

Deja Vu

Smug Lord
    Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2014
    Why isn't anyone asking the obvious question here? Look at the teeth on that thing! Wouldn't that hurt like hell?

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
    Years
  • I've always seen that as a potential side evolution to Shellder.

Perhaps using a new mechanic where you have Shellder and Slowpoke in your party, and you evolve the Slowpoke to Slowbro, the Shellder evolves too. It'd be a neat idea.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
  • I don't get how the thing dies, though. Once it attaches to the head of a slowpoke, it magically loses it's eyeballs and grows a gem (if I remember slowking correctly). That thing has always creeped me out. It looks nothing like shellder, though...

Same is seen in the anime.
    The gem probably came from the King's Rock

What happens if the shell was dislodged from the Slowbro. What will happen? Is this accounted as an actual evolution of Shellder? What happens if you mate a Slowpoke and Shellder? Will they breed successfully? Or, will you get a Slowbro in return?

All these questions are and still is unanswered in the anime. =/

1. It will most likely go back to normal.
    2. No.
    3. Nothing.
    4 & 5. I don't need to answer these questions because #3. already does.
    6. The anime doesn't need to and won't.

Why isn't anyone asking the obvious question here? Look at the teeth on that thing! Wouldn't that hurt like hell?

Slowpoke's tail is too numb to feel the pain.

I've always seen that as a potential side evolution to Shellder.

Perhaps using a new mechanic where you have Shellder and Slowpoke in your party, and you evolve the Slowpoke to Slowbro, the Shellder evolves too. It'd be a neat idea.

They can't do that because that would contridict the previous games.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
  • Like adding in baby forms of existing Pokemon, side evolutions for existing Pokemon, and new evolutions for existing Pokemon, something they do every generation, contradicts previous games?

No not really.

Those things involve steps that weren't available in the other games.

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    No not really.

Those things involve steps that weren't available in the other games.
    To be fair, Mamoswine and Lickilicky could've been obtained in previous gens, since you could get Piloswine and Lickitung with Ancientpower before the fourth generation.

My personal Slowbro theory:
    Shellder clamps onto the Slowpoke's tail and receives part of the evolutionary energy, which partially transforms it into the form we see on Slowbro's tail, but the side effect is that they're permanently fused. Radiation from a King's Rock combined with psychic energy from the top of Slowpoke's head result in the mutated semi-evolved Shellder seen on Slowking.

Wolfwhispers

Trainers for Life
    Years
  • In the episode in the first season when Slopoke evolved into Slobro, they focused in on Slobro doing a "Slooo....bro..." Then it focused on its tail, and the little parasite thingie said "Shellder!" So, to me, its just alternate form of Shellder, as it has been said that the two do talk. Almost like Girafarig and its tail.

Formula380

Supersonic
    Years
  • Why isn't anyone asking the obvious question here? Look at the teeth on that thing! Wouldn't that hurt like hell?

I think it's been stated that Slowbro is too stupid/slow to notice. The pain goes to its brain but by the time it gets there he forgets all about it.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
  • To be fair, Mamoswine and Lickilicky My personal Slowbro theory:
    Shellder clamps onto the Slowpoke's tail and receives part of the evolutionary energy, which partially transforms it into the form we see on Slowbro's tail, but the side effect is that they're permanently fused. Radiation from a King's Rock combined with psychic energy from the top of Slowpoke's head result in the mutated semi-evolved Shellder seen on Slowking.

That makes the most sense to me.

I still think it'd be cool to have this almost 'semi-evolved' Shellder as an entirely seperate Pokémon. It'd have the same sort of stats/moves etc as Shellder but still, just the thought of having it available on its own seems awesome to me lol.

But then what'd it be called? Shellster/Cloysder/something entirely different?

Years
  • They went off about this in an episode before, I believe. It's supposably an alternate evolution that is only obtained when clamping onto a Slowpoke. If this is the story then I do not believe it will ever be obtainable because you cannot de-evolve. It would require Slowbro going back to a Slowpoke.

Back