• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The U.S Gun Control Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
To get back on topic an Illinois Judge tossed an assault weapons ban this week.

A judge in Illinois ruled Friday that the Chicago suburb of Deerfield did not have the authority to enact a ban on assault weapons.

Lake County Circuit Court judge Luis Berrones issued a permanent injunction blocking the measure from being enforced, finding that the gun owners who sued have "a clearly ascertainable right to not be subjected to a preempted and unenforceable ordinance," The Chicago Tribune reported.

Deerfield officials said they are reviewing Berrones's decision and may consider appealing the ruling to the Illinois Appellate Court, according to the Tribune.

"This unprecedented interpretation of state legislative action and intent make this case ripe for appeal," village officials said in a statement.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/435412-judge-throws-out-illinois-towns-assault-weapons-ban

Maedar

Banned
Years
Read this, it's an eye-opener:

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/03/he...assault-weapon/?utm_source=push_notifications

I'll add something to this myself, addressing anyone who believes he needs one of these $13K monsters to defend his home: 99.9 percent of burglars are smart enough to break in when they KNOW nobody is home (usually ringing the doorbell first to make sure), and they go straight for the most valuable merchandise that is easy to fence.

Like say, a $13K assault rifle and the ammunition for it. FAR more valuable than any TV or your wife's jewelry.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 43
  • Seen Nov 19, 2022
Its an antigun opinion piece filled with lies.
Spoilered for length.
Spoiler:

I'll add something to this myself, addressing anyone who believes he needs one of these $13K monsters to defend his home: 99.9 percent of burglars are smart enough to break in when they KNOW nobody is home (usually ringing the doorbell first to make sure), and they go straight for the most valuable merchandise that is easy to fence.
13 hundred. Not 13 thousand. Huge difference in price. That burglary number is rather high. Gonna request a citation on that.

Like say, a $13K assault rifle and the ammunition for it. FAR more valuable than any TV or your wife's jewelry.
Jewelry and TVs are likely to be easier to fence. less questions or heat. You might get 13 hundred on a legal sale but an illegal one? One that comes with additional felony charges? nowhere near that amount.

edit:

and CA magazine ban was declared unconstitutional.
http://www.cbs8.com/story/40222211/judge-blocks-californias-high-capacity-ammunition-ban

http://michellawyers.com/wp-content...zQGe4W9kTcUwQJ7RHmQ8RQeyTMjRiVHITJgWDcNPGbHbQ

Edit 2
How wild was the west? Not very.

https://ammo.com/articles/american-...BkOhp7soc-52mOp8hyFONaei90vLdcg_aGT3IaseapA5Q

The fact there was armed citizens kept the violence very low. Who wants to rob a bank when the employees and the customers are all armed and willing to shoot you over that money?

Last edited:

Maedar

Banned
Years
Its an antigun opinion piece filled with lies.

Why are MY opinions worth less that YOURS?

Edit: I'm actually intrigued by what you said here:

Jewelry and TVs are likely to be easier to fence. less questions or heat. You might get 13 hundred on a legal sale but an illegal one? One that comes with additional felony charges? nowhere near that amount.

You're saying that a fence, a career criminal, would not risk "additional felony charges"? Isn't your favorite strawman in this debate "criminals don't follow laws, they won't follow gun control laws"? Seems you always assume that criminals don't care WHAT laws they break and that harsh penalties for those who violate proposed gun control won't deter them at all. So why are you assuming a fence wouldn't buy "hotter" contraband? Especially since most fences subscribe to the "buy low, sell high" way of thinking in regards to merchandise.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 43
  • Seen Nov 19, 2022
Why are MY opinions worth less that YOURS?
. I didn't say your opinions are worth less than mine. I said the article was opinion piece filled with lies. I even pointed out some of the lies.

Edit: I'm actually intrigued by what you said here:

You're saying that a fence, a career criminal, would not risk "additional felony charges"? Isn't your favorite strawman in this debate "criminals don't follow laws, they won't follow gun control laws"?
You've got to start paying attention to what I say and stop making stuff up.
1st. Pointing out that criminals don't follow gun laws isn't a straw man. It's a factual argument.
2nd. I said a fence would pay less. It's a distinctive, harder to conceal gun. A fence won't pay a lot for it. He might sell it for more than he paid, but it still won't be anywhere near the retail price.

Seems you always assume that criminals don't care WHAT laws they break and that harsh penalties for those who violate proposed gun control won't deter them at all.
most criminals don't care what laws they break. And gun control groups never seems to propose harsher penalties for breaking current gun laws but instead propose new laws that ban guns/magazines/ accessories etc. I have no problem with laws that enact harsher punishment for people using guns in the commission of crime like rape, robbery, murder, etc. Don't assume that's universal. There are various gun control laws that need to go away.

So why are you assuming a fence wouldn't buy "hotter" contraband? Especially since most fences subscribe to the "buy low, sell high" way of thinking in regards to merchandise.
except I didn't assume that. I said "nowhere near that amount". You were going on about burglars stealing this particular gun because it's "high value."

Again. Read what I posted. Then slow down and read it again.

Maedar

Banned
Years
1st. Pointing out that criminals don't follow gun laws isn't a straw man. It's a factual argument.

So why is cocaine outlawed? Criminals will still deal it.

Difference is, when the sale or use of something is outlawed, catching the guy doing so stops him from selling or using it.

Prohibition may have caused a rise in crime, but one little-known fact is, it drastically reduced both the sale and use of liquor in the United States. Most arguments against it stemmed from how bad it hurt the economy.

2nd. I said a fence would pay less. It's a distinctive, harder to conceal gun. A fence won't pay a lot for it. He might sell it for more than he paid, but it still won't be anywhere near the retail price.

A fence pays less for anything, LDS, that's how it works. Thieves never expect to sell stolen merchandise at market price to the guy who resells it at black market price.

Years
  • Age 43
  • Seen Nov 19, 2022
So not going to defend that article at all? Okay.

So why is cocaine outlawed? Criminals will still deal it.

Difference is, when the sale or use of something is outlawed, catching the guy doing so stops him from selling or using it.
. Wow. That's unbelievable. Explain how the drug war continues to drag on then? Explain the drug dealers being repeatedly arrested. Explain the addicts that are in and out of prison?

Prohibition may have caused a rise in crime, but one little-known fact is, it drastically reduced both the sale and use of liquor in the United States. Most arguments against it stemmed from how bad it hurt the economy.
The US could have done without the Mafia. Or the govt intentionally poisoning people who drink. And the reduction has since disappeared.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.history.com/.amp/news/10-things-you-should-know-about-prohibition

A fence pays less for anything, LDS, that's how it works. Thieves never expect to sell stolen merchandise at market price to the guy who resells it at black market price.
. Then why the focus on how expensive that gun was? Who cares how much someone pays for a gun. It's their money.

Last edited:

Maedar

Banned
Years
Not really sure I need to defend it, LDS.

Seeing you so vehemently defend the right to own this monstrosity while trying to convince me that it has uses other than killing people as quickly as possible kinda confirms my point.

Years
  • Age 43
  • Seen Nov 19, 2022
Not really sure I need to defend it, LDS.

As usual. You never seem to defend any of your claims.

Seeing you so vehemently defend the right to own this monstrosity while trying to convince me that it has uses other than killing people as quickly as possible kinda confirms my point.
. What point is that? You just threw an opinion column up and called it "eye opener." It's fear mongering crossed with "look at the gun nut!"

It's an expensive gun. So what? The people running around killing other people aren't dropping 1300 on a fancy gun.

Edit:
Now this is a gun!

https://www.brownells.com/firearms/...igun-7-62x51mm-nato-semi-auto-prod127287.aspx

Video. Facebook though.

https://www.facebook.com/BrownellsInc/videos/834929150178143/

Last edited:
Years
We're going to shelve this thread for the time being. We're not banning the topic or anything don't worry, but this thread is basically just the same 2-3 people arguing the same points over and over in a circle at this stage so we're going to close it for the sake of forcing a chill out. You're completely welcome to bring the topic back at a later date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back