• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ultimate Turnoff - What You Don't Want to See in a Hack

Status
Not open for further replies.

CollinP

My Avi Evolved
    Years
    • Seen May 19, 2009
    I'm not too fond of:

-Fakemon
    -poor storyline
    -little or no scripting
    -remakes
    -bad mapping
    -and I REALLY hate bad starters (i.e. Minun or Aron (I also dislike the Hoenn and Sinnoh starters too))
    I Completely Agree With You- Mostly On The Fakemon Part- If They make Their Own Pokemon, The Should Make Them Look Like Pokemon- not characters from a bad tim burton movie (not saying that they are bad, i like most of them)

Last edited:

Penumbra

Do you enjoy reading this?
    Years
    I would prefer a remake with a few nice extras as opposed to
    an overhyped storyline that turns out to be utter bull.

Bad grammar/spelling is also a big no no. Typical
    characters are hideously overused and boring (like
    a random shady guy who seems to know you
    yet he has a ridiculously simple backstory like
    'I met you at the grocery store one time, and
    I hated you ever since. You took the last orange."

Also, random battles like a random rival appearing.
    "You. I despise you. You're a total failure as a trainer.
    -DEW DEW DEW DEW DEW!-
    PkMn Trainer Weirdo wants to battle [for no real reason!]"

Pokemon on steroids is also bad, likewise with pokemon that
    can be killed with splash -_-'

Overused story like you see the professor, he seems some odd
    form of 'potential' in you, he gives you your first pokemon, you
    complete his ridiculously repetitive task of filling up the Pokedex,
    and then somehow get caught up in "collecting the 8 League Badges".

Evil Teams are annoying. I'm tired of the same grunts, admins, and leaders
    over and over and over and over and over (squared) again. It get's so old,
    especially if in the end, you don't even find the reason they started causing
    havoc throughout the region.

Speaking of regions.. Stupid Region names/city names/towns/caves/maps
    that are just weird. They often have no relation to the actual place, and they
    just put it there to look cool.

Fakemon are hideous. They're usually AWFULLY sprited. I may be quite
    hypocritical as I'm planning to add fakemon to my hack, but that's
    a different case. I can tolerate some kind of "Alternate Forme" of pokemon,
    but whole new disgustingly typical pokemon just to make a cool-typed pokemon
    is stupid..

Off tiles. When you're immersed in tonnes of 3D graphics, then all you see
    are basic grass tiles on the routes.

Bad starter pokemon. Hmm what are my choices..

In best case scenarios:
    Something unique and original, and relative to the storyline.

In worst case scenarios:
    Salamence, Flygon, Metagross...

Oh level 5 wow!

simple maps. are ew. I want something original and creative!
    I don't want to walk down the common straight paths with a few ledges
    along the way, or maze-like forests, etc.

Too lazy to think of more, but there's A LOT of turn offs in a hack.
    Then again, it's hard to get the perfect, ideal hack.

Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2010
    Outdated technology(i.e. a blue/red hack made this month)
    lack of uniqueness
    no challenge
    too little info
    too few pokemon(anything above the original 151 is fine, but the more the merrier)
    nonsensical, cliched or nonexistant story

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Outdated technology(i.e. a blue/red hack made this month)

Whoa, you're kicking something bad there. Using Red and Blue is BAD now? What?! Just because Advance gen has better "technology" means absolutely nothing. This is the entertainment business, not technology. Thus, the DS gets so much sale when the PSP is much better "tech".

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I have decided that I have quite a few hack turn-offs:

1. Neon grass. I need pretty subtle maps, not radioactive waste!
    2. Bad grammar. The odd spelling mistake etc. is O.K., but I really can't be bothered to decipher code.
    3. 2D Fakemon. However good Fakemon grab my interest.
    4. Eevee as a starter, its been done to death already.
    5. 'Catch 'em all!' Games where every Legendary is accessible for no good reason.

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2009
    rom hack dislikes

`the thing i dont like about ROM hacks is like when u need to cheat or hack more to get past a certain part like mt. moon on chaos black

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    `the thing i dont like about ROM hacks is like when u need to cheat or hack more to get past a certain part like mt. moon on chaos black

To be honest, that was the end of the beta, so it was blocked off due to incompleteness.

Anyway, I remember posting bad grammar before. I really hate bad mapping, bad tiles and... Yeah. In fact, my biggest turn off is when people ave very stunning graphics (like tiles) but very poor scripts. Graphics aren't necessary in a hack, sure it will help if they were unique, but normal FR or Ruby tiles are unique nowadays. Scripting is most important.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    I've got one of the unique tilesets in all of the ROM Hacks in the Hacks Showcase...except for the ones with customs, of course. I'm using half of Emerald and half of FR, 6 of Wesley's tiles and a few of Fangking's, every one of which is Nintendo styled. And they don't look bad at all together.

Oxnite

aka Arbok
    Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2016
    I hate bad grammar. Oh, and (bad) fakemon. I don't really like fakemon in a hack at all, but bad fakemon are even worse.

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2017
    1. Bad grammar.
    2. Poorly laid out maps.
    3. Having Pokémon in bizarre places, for example (though abit of an extreme one) finding a Goldeen in the middle of a desert without water.
    4. Changing a Pokémon's elemental types in poor ways.
    5. Having every legendary being easy to gain, having all legendaries in it, and not having any enjoyable build up to the confrontation with them.

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
    Years
    ~ Kyledove tiles (No offense kyledove but these tiles are being WAYYYYYYY overused)
    ~ Bad Sprites (Recolors are not considered a "new" sprite)
    ~ bad mapping ( I can map better then most of these mappers that work for these hacks)
    1# Turnoff
    ~ Ruby tree tiles (NEVER EVER USE THOSE TILES!)

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I somehow missed this turnoff:

Events that don't make sense!! :P
    (Or Stories as the case sometime is)

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
    I hate hacks that have themes that have too much child themes or too much adult themes. Same thing with language. Keep it balanced like Ruby Destiny. If your best friend dies in front of you, you don't say "Nooo! Darn it! Why did this happen?!" Or if
    your Pokemon got stolen, you don't say " You mother****er! Go to hell you *****bag fat sack of ****! I hope you ****ing die! I will go to your house and slit your mother****ing balls off you piece of goddamn ****!!!"
    Also, finish your hack. I don't care if it's unfinished as long as you're working on it. I think a person who makes a hack thinking of only himself/herself (like me) equals a finished hack. It sounds selfish but think about. If people don't like my hack, I won't give up! If my hack is unpopular, I won't give up! If my hack has glitches in every corner,(which it does) I will NOT give up! Finish your hacks people!

Another thing, Fakemon. I just don't like it. It gives me a weird feeling, I just don't like Fakemon. There are only a few exceptions, Pokemon Quartz, the Pokemon Ruby Destiny series, Pokemon Opal, and a few others. If I like your Fakemon(don't count on it, out of the millions of hacks I've played, there are only a few I like) then congratulations, you did a good job on them. Other than those few hacks, Fakemon are the biggest turnoffs ever for me.

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
    Years
    A new fad has come up I have to bring to attention... Hacking a Hack...
    It is ANNOYING, and disgraceful, and just plain rude. I mean, Why would you alter someone elses work? I have people in the Simple Questions thread asking for help hacking a hacked ROM, so they can get legendary and stuff, that should not be gotten in game at that time. Anyone else agree?

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
    Years
    A new fad has come up I have to bring to attention... Hacking a Hack...
    It is ANNOYING, and disgraceful, and just plain rude. I mean, Why would you alter someone elses work? I have people in the Simple Questions thread asking for help hacking a hacked ROM, so they can get legendary and stuff, that should not be gotten in game at that time. Anyone else agree?

Yeah and adding to that, hacking the hack to make it look totally crap. I mean do we really want DP Pokemon and the Sevii Islands in SG. And I also hate hacks which have really bad maps and hacks which have no storyline change e.g 386 hacks and are attempts at getting the author famous. In reality a good hack just has to show true dedication from the author :P

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2010
    I dont like a hack if the sprites and maps are too much like the original game.
    i like the pokemon games made on rpg maker XP. they look cool.

Oh and to the guy that said MSpaint sucks...
    you should see me and my friends drawings on it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back