• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Underrated Video Games and Characters Thread.

Years
    Who ever think there are some Video Games or even Video Game characters that are really underrated that you rarely hear people talking about them, so if that is so discuss it here and get them more recognized.

My most Underrated Video Game Character is Luigi because he has only appeared in two games as the main character which are Mario is Missing and self titled Video Game Luigi's Mansion, also when Luigi is in the games he is kidnapped by the stories villain or he leaves the game or is just a Player 2 character, also he is missing from Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy, to finish this of even Wario is more popular than Luigi.

But one good thing about this he was a cool unlockable in the First Smash Bros. game and he appears in the Mario Kart and Paper Mario Games, also he did appear as a playable character in Super Mario 64 DS along side Yoshi and Wario.

So Nintendo I want more Luigi games please.

Twinx

s o m e t h i n g M O R E
    Years
    Maybe "Luigi's Mansion" didn't do very well in the market. Otherwise, Nintendo would make more games about him..

Underated game.. mm I played a game called "Arthur and The Minimoys". It's an Atari PC game. Anyway, I found it very addictive and fun to play. It's based on a movie with the same name.
    But the movie didn't become very popular and the same goes for the game. hmm

Cheez

Infinity©
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2021
    Threads of Fate. Awesome game, just got lost on it's way to popularity because it was released during the FF7 craze.

Years
    Other Underrated Games are these.

Ghost Master

Grim Fandango

Devastation

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    I also go with Luigi. Actually he appears in Super Mario Galaxy, but as secret and it's harder to control, he has only starred in underrated games, and there is only one game where he shines, Super Paper Mario.

And please, Nintendo, stop putting his shoes in oil, it's just annoying when playing a game.

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
    Hah! I don't mind him being hard to control. Because he is a far better jumper-it evens him out, and makes you say "well who is better for me, Mario, who is faster, or Luigi, who has a far better jump, but slower with less traction?

In fact, in Super Mario World (for Advance), there were key differences between the bros.

Mario was faster, his fireballs bounced lower (& faster), Yoshi instantly swallowed enimies (earning a coin), He flied faster. Better control overall.

Luigi had a superior jump (which is great in a jumping platform), his fireballs bounced higher, but slower, Yoshi could hold common enemies for a while, allowing him to hit other enimeis (or hold 'em for a coin. That annoys me a bit. I sometimes just wanna swallow em), he flied slower, but higher. And of course, slight control issues, what with his slightly poor traction.

Luigi had many advantages, in many games, but they are evened out by some pretty easy to deal with flaws. It takes some practice.

For example, in The Lost Levels, Luigi was a higher jumper, great for platforming, which was all that game was about. How great was it to catch those high Mushroom platforms, or hit those annoying Squids that fly around? However, it takes practice. You can easily catch that high platform, just to slide right off. We are all used to Mario, so we know how he plays. And of course, the occasional "why can't you jump higher"?

XSeerian

My name is actually Drenz!
    Years
    Jaster Rogue from Rogue Galaxy...well Rogue Galaxy for that matter. No one ever talks about it, even though it was probably one of the best RPGs on PS2, IMO. -__-\

Also Jack Russell from Radiata Stories! That game also! Radiata Stories was awesome...I'm surprised it doesn't get as much reconigtion as it deserves.

~Drenz

Stevo-kun

Push to the limit, Give more!
    Years
    Team Poison said:
    Who ever think there are some Video Games or even Video Game characters that are really underrated that you rarely hear people talking about them, so if that is so discuss it here and get them more recognized.

My most Underrated Video Game Character is Luigi because he has only appeared in two games as the main character which are Mario is Missing and self titled Video Game Luigi's Mansion, also when Luigi is in the games he is kidnapped by the stories villain or he leaves the game or is just a Player 2 character, also he is missing from Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy, to finish this of even Wario is more popular than Luigi.

But one good thing about this he was a cool unlockable in the First Smash Bros. game and he appears in the Mario Kart and Paper Mario Games, also he did appear as a playable character in Super Mario 64 DS along side Yoshi and Wario.

So Nintendo I want more Luigi games please.

I would say Luigi too. And for your info, he IS in Galaxy. You see him numerous times during the game and you can play as him in your second playthrough if you got all 120 stars.

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
    Years
    Well sweetie, I believe the most underrated game is StarTropics for the NES. I loved that game. x3 I swear, Nintendo completely forgot about that game. =/ I was so thrilled when they re-released it on the VC, but still sweeties. =/

Also, most underrated character is most definitely Luigi. He needs more of the spotlight!

Years
    • MA
    • Seen Jul 26, 2008
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baten_Kaitos

Rght there...Baten Kaitos was probably one of the best GCN titles i have ever picked up, with a unique card-based fighting style (Not actually with cards, but turn-based..it's hard to explain o_O), and a storyline that really captures the player's attention..as well as the fact that the game itself is just effin' huge. It took me like, 70+ hours to beat it ._.

...The only problem is that no one I've talked to in RL even knew this game exsisted..WTF!? >O

For characters, Im'a have to go with luigi <_<

Years
    I do think that Luigi deserves more, stronger roles in games, but I'm not sure if I would call him 'underrated', because of his number of fans. It's not that you never hear people talking about him, it's just he doesn't get the in-game attention he deserves...

As for underrated games, two examples that come off the top of my head would be th Wario Ware series and Fire Emblem: Thracia 776.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
    DS games based on pixar movies are way underrated! Some last longer than my more popular DS games.

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2008
    Underated game: Tales of symphonia--one of the most overlooked games, since it was on the gamecube a lot of people didnt play it, but i believe its the best jrpg on the cube (not much to choose from though).

And for underated video game character.....I guess luigi, although hes had some better roles as of late that showcase his character, like that nds rpg he was in with mario, twas pure hilarity :3

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    IMO, the most underrated game is Sub Rebellion, for PS2.

For starters, it's a submarine shooter (3rd or 1st person, I personally play in 1st), so it's already not your everyday game. Lots of cool weapons, enemies etc., a long story (compared to other shooters) and awesome music (especially the Hammerhead's theme).
    Really, it's one of those awesome games that gets shoved at the back of the shelf and only played by one or two random people — for starters there's little or nothing in regards to decent information or screenshots on the net about it (although I managed to get the Hammerhead theme after a while of searching).

If you're curious: Graphics-wise, think Zone of the Enders, it's got similar effects with the blur stuff and the weapons.

Back