• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The USA

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    What are your thoughts on the USA? I think it is an okay country but from what I can tell it is not very good compared to other developed countries.

Other countries seem to be a lot more progressive than America especially in Europe where I think there is much less prejudice toward gay people and such. Also America is very religious, to the point where religion is allowed to stand in the way of scientific progress and influence politics and education which is ridiculous. I think America is the only country in the developed world which doesn't universally teach evolution as fact. Also I have heard that the quality of life in the USA is pretty bad compared to European countries where workers have better working conditions and more holidays.

Also America has not adopted the metric system which is much better than the imperial system.

I dunno why people are so proud to be American really I would rather be French.

Stratos99

Banned
    Years
    I think the US is mad cute. French people are alright I suppose but they tend to be hairy where you don't want them to be hairy if you know what I mean. My personal favorite in terms of ethnicity is Caucasian, it's just so easy to find an attractive white guy or girl whereas with ethnicities such as Indian or Asian it's pretty hit or miss! Go Americans and white people in Europe! And other parts of the world!

Oh and I guess other countries are progressing more ideally than ourselves but who cares, we still look good. Though I won't deny we have our fair share of not good looking people, at least we have enough good looking people to counteract that. I think fairies only live in Europe though so if you live in America I can see your reasons for contempt.

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
    What are your thoughts on the USA? I think it is an okay country but from what I can tell it is not very good compared to other developed countries.
    I'm a military brat. Hoo boy, here we go...

Other countries seem to be a lot more progressive than America especially in Europe where I think there is much less prejudice toward gay people and such.
    Eh? Personally, for me, Europe sorta has The Asia Problem, to a lesser degree.

That many countries, that close together, for that many years... That creates stereotypes, bias, prejudice, etc. I've lived there, so... yeah.

Also, in Britain, at least, there's also a lot less freedom of speech. I'm not talking 1984 Orwellian dictatorship, but there's definitely more of an emphasis on not offending people. See Orwell's prelude to Animal Farm for more details. Ironically, the Brits censored it out.

Also America is very religious, to the point where religion is allowed to stand in the way of scientific progress and influence politics and education which is ridiculous.
    1. "Not my ideals" =/= "Ridiculous."
    2. Religion is allowed to stand in the way of scientific progress? That's not religion, ma'am, that's "ethics."

For example, is the Hippocratic Oath an example of "Foolish religious sentiments impeding medicine?" Answer me that. Should we abolish it?

And... America isn't the only religious country in the world, and even the beloved, free-thinking Europeans are religious.

No, I don't mean cynical Britain, where putting "SCIENTOLOGY IS A CULT" on a sign will get you detained by the police.

Let's examine some of the more prosperous nations of Europe:
    Liechtenstein (~80% Roman Catholic)
    Finland (~98% Lutheran Church of Finland, remaining 2% mostly Orthodox)
    Sweden (~95.2% Church of Sweden)
    Switzerland (77% various religious (No official church, too divided among various faiths))
    Denmark (92% Church of Denmark)
    Norway (87% Church of Norway, ~5% other Christian denominations)

Eh?

My point is, being religious doesn't make you backwards and horrible.

I think America is the only country in the developed world which doesn't universally teach evolution as fact.
    So... You're whining that religion has too tight a grip, but you're also whining that our educational system doesn't stamp out any and all alternate beliefs?

Explain, please. You can't fight for equality, and then demand that religion is completely wiped out. If I have to learn the history of Islam and the Middle East for the sake of political correctness, I refuse to let anybody eliminate Christianity from European history. An no, "We'll just teach the bad parts of Christianity, like the Inquisition!" doesn't cut it. If you do that, I want the massacres of the Confucians to be known. I'm sick of this forced political correctness.

I'm not happy about having political correctness shoved down my throat, but I bear it. You can bare seeing the words "Evolution is a theory."

Also I have heard that the quality of life in the USA is pretty bad compared to European countries where workers have better working conditions and more holidays.
    On an unrelated note, the United States is 40th in global suicide rates (By percentage. If you do a strict "# of deaths", you mess up the data due to relative size), behind Russia (#6), Hungary (#10), Finland (#14), Belgium (#15), Switzerland (#17), France (#18. I heard the Eiffel Tower was a popular spot, 'specially around Christmas), Austria (#21), Sweden (#28), Cuba (#31. But I thought they were a perfect nation...), Canada (#35), Portugal (#36), and Norway (#37).

Granted, we're ahead of the UK (Though the individual nations of the UK had greatly varying rates...) and Ireland.

Additionally, an American household is near the top of the charts in terms of disposable income. And, despite the whole "American employees are treated like crap!" argument, Americans still make some of the highest wages on average.

Do your research, please. I had to do a lot in order to correct you, and I'm glad I did. I love this country.

Also America has not adopted the metric system which is much better than the imperial system.
    I'll give you that, but that's not exactly a reason why America is "bad." America hasn't switched to Mandarin Chinese, which would be much more useful in our relations with China, but is that "bad"?

Europe has almost as many languages and dialects (Not even counting the bastardized offshoots of the European colonies) as China. Okay, maybe not that many, but the point it, you still need to know a few languages to get around.

That's great, that means you're more cultured than an ignorant American.

But how efficient can you be when everyone speaks a different language?

I dunno why people are so proud to be American really I would rather be French.
    Go to any military base in America.

Any. Military. Base.

You look those young men in the face, and tell them that. You tell them that they're fighting an unjust war, for a country that you're ashamed of.

Tell them that they've made the wrong choice. If they're religious, tell them that God won't save them, because there is no God.

Pull a Vietnam on them. Spit in their faces. After all, what more do they deserve.

Anyways.

How many revolutions and regime changes has America had in the last 200 years?

Germany has been through Imperial Germany, the Weimar Republic, Nazi Germany, East and West Germany (Within living memory of most Germans), and, finally, the Republic of Germany. Since 1900, mind you.

Great Britain, fortunately, has been Con. Mon. for quite a while, now. Granted, they've had territory struggles, and that Belfast problem, but, you know...

France has been Vichy France, begged for the Anglo-Franco Alliance, and, finally, has gotten the message that being friends with America is beneficial.

Spain has also had a troubled history. Since 1940, they've had a civil war, a failed military coup, and a few other incidents.

Italy has undergone fascism, social and political turmoil, and knee-jerk governments. Currently, they're center-right.

Hungary, Greece, Poland, the Czech Republic, Slovakia... I'm not even getting into all that. Eastern Europe isn't a very fun place, I've heard.

My point? America is extremely stable, and, despite how awful we are, is one of the few countries in the world that takes almost anyone in. That isn't to say that we're a glorious bastion of all that is good. We're a young country, and we're run by humans. We make mistakes, and we learn from them. We have the right to criticize, to fight, to grow...

Oh, and our political system, modeled after the greatest empires in history, is used as a basis for many new non-dictator governments.

God bless America. Thank you for making me do my homework, Jolene. My faith is renewed.

NOTE: This is not to say that I don't have a great respect for many countries. I love America, yes, but...

I respect the German sense of order and efficiency, as well as the beautiful architecture, cooking, and language. Yes, I love the Germanic language family, and all it's gutturalness. I used to speak fluent Dutch, over a decade ago...

I have a great deal of respect for many, if not all, Western European nations (Which isn't to say I don't like E. Europe, but I just don't know enough about the many, many nations). The international culture each country possesses is wonderful, and I really loved living there. Additionally, I really don't have a grudge against the Brits, but... They're just so... cynical. However, I do recognize that Great Britain is one of the greatest 20th century imperial powers.

So... yes. Please don't call me a fascist American. I don't have anything against any other nation, because I don't believe in hating a country for the actions of the individuals. However, I'm not one to let my beliefs get trampled in the name of peace and happiness.

Last edited:
    Years
    My point? America is extremely stable, and, despite how awful we are, is one of the few countries in the world that takes almost anyone in. That isn't to say that we're a glorious bastion of all that is good. We're a young country, and we're run by humans. We make mistakes, and we learn from them. We have the right to criticize, to fight, to grow...

Oh, and our political system, modeled after the greatest empires in history, is used as a basis for many new non-dictator governments.

God bless America. Thank you for making me do my homework, Jolene. My faith is renewed.

Glad you love your country, but some of the points you made, other members might think you are talking badly about the country they life in and they might love where they live as much as you do, so just think about what you say, before it looks like you are stepping on their feet, so to speak.

America, for me, is a very large place with mixed beliefs and rules. I don't agree with how President Bush, pretty much, forced us into a war we really didn't have anything to do with. But, our ex prime minister was also an idiot, so, takes two to tango I guess.

Bottom line, I don't mind the America, but it isn't high on my list of places I want to go, but that is just me. =]

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Progressivism: The lack of it is exactly the reason that the United States is a better place than Europe.

And not using the metric system makes a whole country suck?

Last edited:

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
    Glad you love your country, but some of the points you made, other members might think you are talking badly about the country they life in and they might love where they live as much as you do, so just think about what you say, before it looks like you are stepping on their feet, so to speak.
    My apologies~ I'll fix that immediately.

Errm... I reviewed it, and I'm having a hard time understanding your point. I mostly stuck to facts and statistics (Admittedly, I googled "Most prosperous European countries", but Finland and the others kept appearing consistently, so... Liechtenstein was just my preference, so... yeah.). On the opinionated sections, I was careful to say "America is good", rather than "America is better than all the other sucky nations!" (NOTE: Please, I write that as an example of what I'm NOT trying to say. Don't take that out of context, or say "Nobody said you said..." or anything. We have enough of that in other threads. :3). If any of the countries I mentioned were mistreated, please tell me, and I'll rectify it.

EDIT: Ah, that's what you meant. Sorry for the touchiness. I'm trying to be less defensive about my beliefs here, but... Eh.

I'll fix it on the double!

Last edited:

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    Politics and lawmaking go over my head, so I can't argue that. All I can say is that I was born in America and it's the only country I can call my home, and to judge an ENTIRE NATION for the flaws of the most outspoken percentile seems ridiculous. :/

Years
    I would like to visit the US to see all the bands that come out of there that aren't big enough to tour to Australia yet. I find it a bit strange that they don't use the metric system, not because their the only ones not doing it but because it's just that much simpler than whatever they're using (1000 millimetres is a metre, 1000 metres is a kilometre etc., rather than 12 inches to a foot and whatever comes after that in US measurement).

Oh yeah, just an unimportant note, but for some reason when I went to America it felt like I'd travelled back in time to the 90s - you know how the recording quality of cameras for TV and stuff wasn't as good as it is now? Yeah, for some reason it felt less modern when I went there. I know that's not the case, but it's weird.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I lived in the US, but I still go there during my summer vacations. As for my thoughts on it, I think it's a great country because most of the big stuff (media in particular) that's happening usually takes place there.

Years
    Every country has it's ups and downs, and America is certainly no exception. Some more than others, but lets not let baseless stereotypes and generalizations devolve this thread into a pile of seething nationalistic hate.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
    /looks up from big mac.
    ......What about Amurricuh >:|

Like what Live Wire said, every country has some sort of flaw that other countries with different ethics and morals look down upon. I just try to be as accepting as humanly possible, since everywhere is different from everyone.

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    I'm from the US, and honestly it's not that bad. Certainly we're not perfect and while there is that "WE'RE AMERICAN, WE DO EVERYTHING RIGHT" steryotypical mentality (believe me, I know, I have friends like that) that doesn't mean the whole country is like that. We may have not given equal rights to gays yet, but there is A LOT of support in that area and more and more people are fighting it. That shouldn't be a reason to disregard a whole nation.

We do have some nice freedoms and while it took a while to get everybody those freedoms, I think it says something that it is trying to get better. Every country has it's flaws, but this isn't a bad place. I like to think we have some cool cities :D

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
    America dosent use the metric system? I wonder why I know the metric system and not the inch foot thing. we use both kinda.
    milimeter - Centameter - inch - foot - Yard
    True the metric system is more easy, and im more use too. yes i am american.

And anyways, were not a bad country. I think were a pretty good one. despite allot of white people sitting in offices while they use others to do the hard workuh forget that. not talking military here.

Anyways.. were great. Sure some other countrys have more order and some less freedom..

Were the land of the free and home of the brave. Did I get that right? lmao idk.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    America dosent use the metric system? I wonder why I know the metric system and not the inch foot thing. we use both kinda.
    milimeter - Centameter - inch - foot - Yard
    True the metric system is more easy, and im more use too. yes i am american.

And anyways, were not a bad country. I think were a pretty good one. despite allot of white people sitting in offices while they use others to do the hard workuh forget that. not talking military here.

Anyways.. were great. Sure some other countrys have more order and some less freedom..

Were the land of the free and home of the brave. Did I get that right? lmao idk.

But you don't use other measurements, like kilograms and the like. Which leads to many problems when scientists don't know whether they're using the more accurate metric system or not.

And I'm Canadian, so I've absorbed quite a bit of American culture. On the whole it could definitely use a lot of improvements, but what country doesn't? The thing with America is that it's under a lot of scrutiny by the rest of the world because of its power and if someone screws up, everyone knows about it.

And it doesn't help that a lot of their... errr... less than spectacular citizens are often the ones we see on the news and who gain public office. *cough*Bush*cough*

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Every place has flaws, every place has good stuff. Some places (developed countries) more than others (developing countries). They're still equal in everyone's mind, and being a debbie downer (or jolene joker lololololol) won't change a thing except for get people annoyed at your "ignorance".

btw:
    Spoiler:

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    America's government does some stupid things, but overall, it's what I'm used to and I can only think of two or three places I'd like to live besides the U.S.

Besides, we have two of my favorite things in abundance here: Buicks and Quality Inns :P

Back