• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

...They actually made a sequel...of THAT?

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
Years
  • I haven't seen a thread like this anywhere (if I'm mistaken, by all means, mods, feel free to close this), so I assume no one's really thought of the topic, mostly because it could bring about a lot of flaming. However, I thought this on my way to work, when I started talking to my dad (who I work with) about old games we used to enjoy when I was a kid, but it slowly turned into a discussion about the ones we didn't like so much and how we were shocked to find out they actually made sequels of them even though we personally thought they were awful (my father used to actually be into video games a lot, and he's still sort of a nerd for certain ones).

Basically, my question is: What games (if any) were you shocked to find out that they actually made sequels of (not remakes or updated version of, but actual sequels), even though you personally thought the originals were awful? Anything is basically fair game, but try not to get too carried away about badmouthing games. It's too easy to turn this thread into a flame war, so expression your opinions, but keep things civil.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I make it no secret that I'm actually a big fan of Final Fantasy XIII. But considering how bad that did overall and how many people hate it, I'm not only surprised by its sequel, but the fact that it became a trilogy. Why would the least successful Final Fantasy game become a trilogy? I'm just really confused. I mean, like I said, I love FFXIII, but even I don't think it needed a sequel.

Shhwonk

always with the games, etc.
    Years
  • I make it no secret that I'm actually a big fan of Final Fantasy XIII. But considering how bad that did overall and how many people hate it, I'm not only surprised by its sequel, but the fact that it became a trilogy. Why would the least successful Final Fantasy game become a trilogy? I'm just really confused. I mean, like I said, I love FFXIII, but even I don't think it needed a sequel.

I agree, even though I did kinda like XIII. I just think the developers should have moved on, but I believe the whole trilogy was planned from the start, since the whole plot is so damn long. Plus, I think they didn't want to spoil the FF series with XIII (like FF XIV and its remake) by trying to redeem themselves with its sequels... apparently that didn't work out.

Years

I'm neutral on the XIII trilogy; XIII-2 would be my favourite amongst the 3, keeping in mind that I haven't actually played Lightning Returns yet, but I have a feeling I probably won't like it due to the time constraints that you have in the game \: But yeah, I was surprised that they made a sequel for XIII of all games. And then a sequel to the second sequel...The first iteration, XIII-2, wasn't that bad, and I actually liked it compared to the first instalment, but having 2 additional games to XIII which wasn't fairing well amongst gamers was overkill :c

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
    Years
  • FF used to be a series where the storylines actually seemed like they were complete once you beat the game. It kind of annoyed that they started make it a trend where they add a sequel just because they had no new games in the works yet (or at least not developed to the point where they were ready for announcing). That's partially why I stopped playing FF a few years ago (not because it was the same thing over and over, but because it seemed like they weren't trying to actually come out with anything NEW).

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2014
    off topic thread i seee, this should be interesting stating that no ones really talking abut what should be stated in the thread.

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
    Years
  • Well, I said it was an open game thread, and if FF XIII is what people are venting about, that's how it's going to be. :P

Okay, turning back to the real topic: I was kind surprised to find out that they made sequels to games they didn't even know had sequels for, and that they made a lot of them. For instance, I never really liked Mega Man that much, except for MM X. I thought Mega Man X was the only good game in the franchise, but then I found out recently they made like seven sequels. The gameplay in MMX wasn't really that good and the graphics weren't exactly spectacular, even for what was originally an SNES game. The fact that they made sequels kind of annoys me because I thought the storyline ended when X beat Sigma. Clearly, not... >.> What's worse is the entire franchise consists almost completely of sequels upon sequels, upon spinoffs, etc.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I'm scratching my head as to why Gravity Rush needed a sequel.

And a The Last of Us sequel is obviously gonna happen when it doesn't need one. At all.

Razgriz

Acetaminophen
    Years
  • Drakengard... now now, To be honest I haven't played Drakengard 1 BUT I did play the second one aaaand... IT SUCKED. I can't believe how they made Drakengard 3 AND missed all the worse stuff from 2, I mean, really? that just means they didn't check people's opinion and they haven't done a good quality test

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • off topic thread i seee, this should be interesting stating that no ones really talking abut what should be stated in the thread.

It's not off topic, though. FF13 sequels are just so hated that apparently a lot of us had to let it out of our systems. lol

machupichu18

I like Cereal!
    Years
  • BEFORE you all start shouting at me, these games I do like, but I was just surprised that they made a sequel for these games,
    1. LoZ Phantom Hourglass- Yeah, it's a great game, so is windwaker, but windwaker was on the gamecube, PH was on the DS!!! WHAT IS THIS MADNESS, yeah, it turned out be a great game, fun mechanics, spirt tracks made it even better, but it shocked me and everyone, that it was a sequel to windwaker... on the DS... really? It just weired me out, seeing a brilliant gamecube, having it's sequel put on a handheld, and we all know what handheld ports can be like (ratchet and clank q-force/full frontal assault I'm looking at you), but I ended up being entirely wrong, it's a great game, with great mechanics
    2. Another Loz game, A Link Between Worlds- Contiuning on for Hourglass, We were all probably thinking the first scratch made 3DS games, was most likely going to be like Hourglass and spirt tracks, but no.... they made a sequel of a link to the past, this made me question a LOT, first up, it's a sequel to a really old game which not many younger fans would not know, and that made me ask myself a question, "Is A Link Between Worlds here to appraise old fans, or make new ones?" Yeah, it make me ask a lot of questions, especially since if they were going to make new fans, would a spirit tracks esc game would make new ones, after all they were really fun.

Okay don't start shouting at me because I hate these two games, CAUSE I DON'T, but there were increbily weird decision in when/what consol these games are on, ALBW was on of the best 3DS games of 2013 (even though I think fire emblem awakening was better), it just that I am asking myself that question, they made a sequel... of that

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • No mention of Shaq Fu? I am disappointed in you, PC.

Shaq Fu was infamous on being not only one of the worst fighting games ever made, but also one of the worst video games of all time. And wouldn't you know it, they had the guts to make a sequel called Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn, and the worst part, people actually funded for it at Kickstarter to meet its initial goal to develop the game.

Back