• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Things you hate, laught at, or just find strange.

Years
    Well some things in Pokemon, to say the least is...interesting.

The very idea of being 10 years old and going out into a world, where animals can cause earthquakes and meteors falling down onto Earth, but the strangest thing as such for me is-

HOW MACARGO NOT EVAPORATING WATER UPON TOUCH?!

DarkVhozon

Steel/Dragon Master
    Years
    Strange: A small boy/young man goes offf on a journey and can walk into random peoples hoses or just waltz into a 'teams' HQ lol. Are people in pokemon against locks or something

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
    Strange: A small boy/young man goes offf on a journey and can walk into random peoples hoses or just waltz into a 'teams' HQ lol. Are people in pokemon against locks or something

Haha you are so right xD In reality, there is no way my parents would let me travel the world at the age of ten. And yeah, you can just walk into anyone's house. You could probably get into the White House without even trying xP

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    I can't stand HMs. Ohhh lordy, I can't stand them. First of all, most of them aren't very useful in battle. Second of all, you can't get rid of them without having them deleted by the Move Deleter. The Move Deleter doesn't come until waaaaaay later in the game in most cases so you're more or less stuck with them on a Pokémon until then. And then I have to, in most cases get an HM Slave for things like Cut and Rock Smash, meaning I'm switching my Pokémon around via the PC to use 'em when I need 'em. And I'm just too lazy for that. :|

What I find strange? All these Trainers on the road are basically standing in one spot and looking in one direction for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Do they not have homes? And for the younger Trainers especially, families? Are they orphans? Do they not have lives? What a boring life, honestly. They're not even training their Pokémon, they're just standing there, looking lifeless forever. D; But their Pokémon get stronger anyway whaaaat.

Also, I find it weird that Trainers are only supposed to battle "when their eyes meet," but in 99% of the cases, it's the Trainer that looks at you, and you're not even looking at them. I find that a tad unfair tbh. :(

/rant

Ibis

flyin' with Lugia!
    Years
    HATE: A Sleeping Roaming Legendary Beast FLEEING from battle. HOW does that even begin to happen?! It's SLEEPING for Lugia's sakes. How can it RUN AWAY?!

LAUGH AT: When my level 5 Munchlax (straight from the Pokewalker in SoulSilver) loved me so much he wanted to evolve at level 6 into a Snorlax before he learned anything new while I was juuust starting to train him. The NPCs who make commentary that insinuates that you're bugging/bothering/harrassing them when THEY are the ones who approach you first.

FIND STRANGE: Some of the Pokedex descriptions of various Pokemon is very... I dunno. I would call some of the descriptions disturbing, especially for younger kids. Heck, I'm an adult and they make me go WTF. How a Roaming Legendary can be Sleeping and still manage to FLEE.

zlip

______
    Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2013
    just thought of another REALLY STRANGE thing...Skitty and Wailord can breed.....thats really weird.....

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
    You know what I find strange? That the pokemon miraculously fall through the ground when they faint x3

And I couldn't stop laughing one time I entered the Jump Course at the Pokealthalon and someone entered a Magikarp xD It flapped on its side the whole time it was hilarious

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I hate HMs.

Also, I find it peculiar that Chingling live in caves. That seems so random.

Well I guess a Chingling or Chimecho would make the best noise in a cave don't you think? You'd hear jingling better in a cave than in an open field...

Roughsponge

What's occurin?
    Years
    I hate caves in general, they are always a painful experience.. the high encounter rate drives me insane! But I really despise Mt Moon, much more than any other cave, and I have no idea why.

I always find it really strange that grown men ask you for their numbers on G/S/C/HG/SS.. I know it's not meant to be creepy but it really is. (Not to mention the 'rubbing' of the captains back on the SS Anne..)

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
    Years
    Other than what zlip said (HSOWA for those of you too lazy to look at the top of the page) I hate wild double battles. There's a reason I hit the partner's Pokémon first.

37h4n

Apprentice Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2011
    I hate HMs.

Also, I find it peculiar that Chingling live in caves. That seems so random.

Caves echo. And Chimecho is it's evolved form, so maybe thats why they live in caves.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    Example: I hate the bike music.
    Seriously, I don't use the bike as much, just so I won't have to listen to that. I'd rather run to nearby places, or Fly. And when I do use it, I go out of my way to exit or enter a different town or route, to make the music change back. How annoying is that??

So, yeah. Let the dogs out.

I actually like the Bike Music, but sometimes I dislike how it overrides the background music that is playing. Especially in the Hoenn Battle Frontier of Emerald Version. The Battle Frontier overworld music sounds like a triumphant, grand engagement or something, and the bike music sounds very out of place... However, walking is very tedious in the Battle Frontier, so I just end up letting the bike music play. The only way to get the Battle Frontier music to play naturally while on a bike is riding it while exiting from Artisans' Cave. But you have to surf just to enter Artisans' Cave, so this method is not exactly feasible. I wish there was an option where you could choose whether it overrides the current overworld music or not... :(

PlatinumDude, why do you find it funny that they made them not shiny? Why would they make a legendary shiny the first time you encounter it?

...You could soft-reset for shiny legendaries in past generation games, right? Why should Reshiram and Zekrom be any different? I mean, the spriters bothered to actually make shiny sprites for them, so why make such an encounter impossible? (I heard that they're under ownership of N at one point, so that might be a reason...?)

Strange:
    • Every time you re-challenge the Elite Four, somehow the old Champion has usurped the title without you noticing
    • How Ponyta are found inside Cinnabar Mansion. I thought horses only lived outdoors
    I always disliked how the Champion just effortlessly takes back their title. There was one theory IIRC that said the player establishes an agreement with the Pokemon League that permits the player to travel around, while relinquishing the Champion title to the prior Champion. Though I still kind of think that's unfair, because Steven and Cynthia get to be reigning Champions while traversing the regions... I guess they just need someone to fill the vacancy as you travel around or something. :\

Another Elite 4 quirk is that their dialogue is odd! You can complete an Elite 4+Champion run in 10-20 minutes, and mere minutes after you see the credits, restart the game, and fly back to the regional Pokemon League headquarters, they'll say "I'm amazed by your power! Never before have I encountered such strength!" -_- At least have them recognize you being a recent claimant of the Champion title, or acknowledging having becoming accustomed to your powerful Pokemon skills, or something!

Another thing that "grinds my gears":
    Wild Abra used Teleport.

or

Wild Suicune fled.

This, too! Right now I'm even more annoyed because the fleeing-while-sleeping (:cer_laugh: :cer_pissed:) Legendary Dogs in FireRed Versions all suffer from the Roaming Pokemon glitch, causing them to only have a maximum possible Attack IV of 7, with all of the other IVs being zero, excluding the HP stat. And I learn this after having completing FireRed twice (prior to the news of HGSS) just for obtaining Entei and Raikou, which consisted of defeating the Gym Leaders, Elite 4, and Champion, taking down Team Rocket in Kanto and in the Sevii Islands, and hunting down the Ruby and Sapphire just to fix the Pokemon Network Center's networking machine on Knot (One) Island. I also have to have the National Pokedex and the Rainbow Pass in my inventory. T_T WTF. All that work, and the Pokemon are destined to be crappy. -_-

Also, I find it weird that Trainers are only supposed to battle "when their eyes meet," but in 99% of the cases, it's the Trainer that looks at you, and you're not even looking at them. I find that a tad unfair tbh. :(/rant

Those Trainers will travel through hail, sleet, rain, and snow, no matter how many tiles away they are, just to challenge unsuspecting, rushing Trainers; if even so much as a glint of eyes appears in their line of sight. Sheesh. Sometimes I just want something to use Thunder Wave on them to stun them, so I can RUN AWAY quickly. Those people are too challenge-crazy; I don't care if they call cowardice. I HAVE THINGS TO GO DO DARN IT I DON'T NEED TO BATTLE YOUR POOR TEAM OF
    SIX PICKACHEW! :t025:

Hmm...also, there's a 1% of encountering Koffing and Grimer while Surfing/Fishing with a Super Rod, respectively, in Celadon City's lake next to the Rocket Game Corner. :D I thought that was quite neato when I first read about it in a walkthrough.

EDIT: Also, there are items that actually respawn on Tresaure Beach of the Sevii Islands in FireRed/LeafGreen Versions! Very cool! :cer_nod:

Last edited:

CHAZ The Cat

Come Charmander light my fire~
    Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2011
    Uh, uh, here's another, here's another!

You use ROCK SMASH on a rock twenty times, and it still "grows back" the next time you go there.
    Yeah.

XXIII

isn't really here.
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2013
    Every time I see a Seel I cringe. The effort that (did not) go into that guy makes me sad.

PokéTravellerNumber13

A Multi-Diamensional Traveller
    Years
    I know why but I find it both strange and funny how when in battle, a Pokémon can use a move like, say hailstorm, surf or whatever, and the player and the trainer/team grunt/just someone else doesnt get effected at all. I mean COME ON. Hail is pouring down from the sky and you just happily tell me its not over, why arent we knocked down, or in the case of surf, dreanching wet. Anyone else think of that?

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
    There are two things in Pokemon that I don't understand.

1. You enter a wild Pokemon battle while surfing. You send out your Pokemon.... that somehow stands on top of the water. How is that possible?! Honestly, how can a Zebstrika (Or anything that isn't a water type with legs and is not floating above the ground) stand on top of water? Conversively, how does a Water-Type Pokemon float in the air out of the water on terra firma? It's not in the water. It can't levitate.

2. Audino. How in the freaking world is it able to learn Surf?! Seriously, how? :\

Rawrinism

Shandera'd
    Years
    There are two things in Pokemon that I don't understand.

1. You enter a wild Pokemon battle while surfing. You send out your Pokemon.... that somehow stands on top of the water. How is that possible?! Honestly, how can a Zebstrika (Or anything that isn't a water type with legs and is not floating above the ground) stand on top of water? Conversively, how does a Water-Type Pokemon float in the air out of the water on terra firma? It's not in the water. It can't levitate.

2. Audino. How in the freaking world is it able to learn Surf?! Seriously, how? :\

Maybe because of this ? x3
    all rights to the owner, not created by me.

Things you hate, laught at, or just find strange.

Rosebud2

My Pokemon is Fight!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2012
    I HATE how in Platinum, the veteran trainers are represented by the old man sprite which is BALD, but their battle sprite has LONG BLACK HAIR! GAH!

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    • I find it strange that not only does the protagonist of the game start in the town right before the first gym, but that every trainer he/she meets has incrementally higher levels of Pokemon.
    • I find it strange that 10-year-olds are allowed not only to go on adventures where ravenous critters could seriously injure, but are encouraged to do research expected of at least graduate students.
    • I find it strange that crime must be so low that homeowners not only let their houses open to strangers but give them gifts for coming to visit. Even when Team Whatever are terrorizing the world, someone'll still find time to give you a Quick Claw.
    • I find it strange that certain Gym Leaders and their drones spend their whole lives training Pokemon and can't get their best critters above level 20 or so.
    I find lots of things strange, apparently.

Back