• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Third Version Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I think that we'll get Gen VII next year if my theory of Nintendo pushing GF to make games for the release of the NX (assuming it comes out this year) is wrong. Irc GS and RS came out a year after the GBC and GBA had come out. I think was the same with DP for the DS (though DP were originally suppose to be part of the starting line up with a release date scheduled for 2005).

I missed this.

But wow Pokemon as part of the launch titles huh?

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Nov 23, 2017
    Ooh that's cool. I'm seriously hoping for a Z announcement soon and then Gen 7 announcement at E3. I mean, BW2 were announced in the February before a June (Japanese) release. Arguably, XY was announced almost a year later with a late 2013 release...

Do you think Masuda will be announcing Z? Or something else?

I'm guessing the reveal is soon but Masuda will show the games off more in detail at E3. Unless they decide to skip over another game till Gen 7 and go right into it later in the year. At this point anything is possible. I feel waiting till E3 to show a new game would be a bit late and showing something in the coming weeks would be better. Though him being at E3 makes me wonder if it is Gen 7 since I am thinking Nintendo would take E3 for NX and a Direct in the next few months for 3DS and Wii U stuff. Just an opinion but it would be a good idea to give E3 the NX focus. And while I do know next gen pokemon have been shown off early the last two gens have shown the new pokemon off in the first part of the year with it being out later that same year. Oh Masusa stop teasing us! XD

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    If the NX turns out to be a handheld (or handheld-home console hybrid) it would be cool if Pokémon was a launch title for it. But then again, B2W2 weren't on 3DS even after its launch not only to allow people who played BW but still only had a DS to play them, but also to take advantage of the DS install base being higher than the 3DS's at the time. It would be great to have a Pokémon NX launch title, but realistically speaking, I think if there were to be one, it would be a spin-off rather than a main-series game--unless Game Freak feels as though the system will be a super-seller right at launch.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Nov 23, 2017
    If the NX turns out to be a handheld (or handheld-home console hybrid) it would be cool if Pokémon was a launch title for it. But then again, B2W2 weren't on 3DS even after its launch not only to allow people who played BW but still only had a DS to play them, but also to take advantage of the DS install base being higher than the 3DS's at the time. It would be great to have a Pokémon NX launch title, but realistically speaking, I think if there were to be one, it would be a spin-off rather than a main-series game--unless Game Freak feels as though the system will be a super-seller right at launch.

Nintendo might end up forcing them to do it like they made them Gen 6 in 3D. Plus difference here is when BW came out 3DS was not. It was about 6 months away however this case will be different since Gen 7 will be out the same year as NX or 2017. As for BW2 not being on 3DS it makes sense since it was still Gen 5 and it would be weird to have a single gen on separate systems. Since if someone had BW on DS they could not trade/battle with someone with BW2 on 3DS.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Nintendo might end up forcing them to do it like they made them Gen 6 in 3D. Plus difference here is when BW came out 3DS was not. It was about 6 months away however this case will be different since Gen 7 will be out the same year as NX or 2017. As for BW2 not being on 3DS it makes sense since it was still Gen 5 and it would be weird to have a single gen on separate systems. Since if someone had BW on DS they could not trade/battle with someone with BW2 on 3DS.

Do you have a source for Nintendo "forcing" Game Freak to do gen 6 "in 3D" (or do you mean "on the 3DS?")?

Theoretically, BW's release could have been postponed (and the game slightly reworked) to be a 3DS exclusive, but really my focus was on the release of B2W2. I did mention that Game Freak chose to keep the sequels on the same system as their predecessors, which is, in my opinion, very sensible indeed.
    B2W2 weren't on 3DS even after its launch ... to allow people who played BW but still only had a DS to play them
    However, I brought it up for this sentence in particular:

Game Freak may not want to jump to the NX without knowing its projected install base first (as in, they may not want to risk it in case it ends up selling similarly to the Wii U), because the 3DS may still be the best system to develop for in terms of potential sales--especially since Nintendo has claimed that the NX will not be (or rather, "is not planning to be") "replacing" any of their current consoles, but rather will be existing alongside them.

Years
    Hexagon could be a red herring. France is Pentagon shape, but if they shift the southern tip more south I guess they could make it a hexagon... I think the Pentagon head though is the more important sign. Crowns have a Pentagonal shape to them. Plus the Pentagon represents magic (Fairy). Plus GF made the Blue pentagon for the generational symbol.

Zygarde's hexagons might be a reference to cell membranes (more noticeable in plants' cellwalls).

Edit: Well it seems that France considers itself Hexagon shaped so...yeah Hexagons might be it ;)

My French teacher, who was French, always said it was more of a square.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Do you have a source for Nintendo "forcing" Game Freak to do gen 6 "in 3D" (or do you mean "on the 3DS?")?

Theoretically, BW's release could have been postponed (and the game slightly reworked) to be a 3DS exclusive, but really my focus was on the release of B2W2. I did mention that Game Freak chose to keep the sequels on the same system as their predecessors, which is, in my opinion, very sensible indeed.

Game Freak may not want to jump to the NX without knowing its projected install base first (as in, they may not want to risk it in case it ends up selling similarly to the Wii U), because the 3DS may still be the best system to develop for in terms of potential sales--especially since Nintendo has claimed that the NX will not be (or rather, "is not planning to be") "replacing" any of their current consoles, but rather will be existing alongside them.
    The DS was intended to not "replace" the GBA either. Interestingly GF planned on having DP out for 2005, the year the DS came out irc.

I think we will get Z by the middle of the year with Gen VII being announced a few months later (E3 or the World Championship finals). DP were announced like two months after Emerald came out. While Munchlax was shown four months before the release of Emerald.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Nov 23, 2017

As in Nintendo forced them to do it on 3DS over a 3rd gen on DS. As for NX existing alongside the 3DS and Wii U I think it could end up being what PS2 was when PS3 was first out and what PS3 is to PS4 right now. I think it means they will still make a good number of games for it when it is out but at the same time it will be a full fledged system. With DS and especially the Wii support kinda died as soon as the new systems were out. The only game I remember that was big was Pokemon BW2 once the 3DS was out and besides the operation rainfall games I don't remember anything on Wii after Wii U was out. While with PS2 and PS3 both got a number of games one the next gen consoles were up. It just seems people are thinking Nintendo will fully support all 3 systems in terms of every game on NX will be on Wii U for example at least that is what I see people thinking on Twitter and Youtube.

As for Pokemon at NX launch it is a double edged sword since Game Freak may not want to do it right away on a new system but at the same time I can see Nintendo thinking if Pokemon was a launch title it would sell the system very well. Heck even a launch window game would be a good idea. Though if the new system is out let's say this November I can't see GF releasing Gen 7 on 3DS in 2017 myself. At the end of the day GF needs to do what they are told by Nintendo at least with Pokemon.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    The DS was intended to not "replace" the GBA either. Interestingly GF planned on having DP out for 2005, the year the DS came out irc.
    Yup. That's what I meant with this:
    Nintendo has claimed that the NX will not be (or rather, "is not planning to be") "replacing" any of their current consoles, but rather will be existing alongside them.

They didn't plan on the DS line replacing the Game Boy console line, but because of its astounding sales, it ended up doing so. But it's impossible to know if the NX will end up as Nintendo's next "DS," or if it will end up as their next "Wii U." As such, we can't know if Game Freak will be eager to develop for it right away, or if they will wait for the install base to grow.

(Disclaimer: I absolutely love the Wii U, but there is sadly no denying those lackluster sales numbers...)

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Nov 23, 2017
    I am curious to know what would have happened if the Gameboy and DS did live as one. Would Pokemon be on both? I am also curious as to what features a new GB would have had

Years
    As in Nintendo forced them to do it on 3DS over a 3rd gen on DS. As for NX existing alongside the 3DS and Wii U I think it could end up being what PS2 was when PS3 was first out and what PS3 is to PS4 right now. I think it means they will still make a good number of games for it when it is out but at the same time it will be a full fledged system. With DS and especially the Wii support kinda died as soon as the new systems were out. The only game I remember that was big was Pokemon BW2 once the 3DS was out and besides the operation rainfall games I don't remember anything on Wii after Wii U was out. While with PS2 and PS3 both got a number of games one the next gen consoles were up. It just seems people are thinking Nintendo will fully support all 3 systems in terms of every game on NX will be on Wii U for example at least that is what I see people thinking on Twitter and Youtube.

As for Pokemon at NX launch it is a double edged sword since Game Freak may not want to do it right away on a new system but at the same time I can see Nintendo thinking if Pokemon was a launch title it would sell the system very well. Heck even a launch window game would be a good idea. Though if the new system is out let's say this November I can't see GF releasing Gen 7 on 3DS in 2017 myself. At the end of the day GF needs to do what they are told by Nintendo at least with Pokemon.
    They were going to risk it with the DS and DP, so perhaps they'll try to risk it again, and hope they won't have to delay it like DP were.

Btw, where did you hear that about the 3DS? Nintendo had given GF a 3DS kit around the beginning of Gen V, so it was planned since the beginning that it'll only be two gens on the system. Now, it is said that they pushed them to make B2W2 instead of Grey/Gray.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Nov 23, 2017
    They were going to risk it with the DS and DP, so perhaps they'll try to risk it again, and hope they won't have to delay it like DP were.

Btw, where did you hear that about the 3DS? Nintendo had given GF a 3DS kit around the beginning of Gen V, so it was planned since the beginning that it'll only be two gens on the system. Now, it is said that they pushed them to make B2W2 instead of Grey/Gray.

I remember in mid 20111 hearing Grey was trademarked though trademarks don't also work out the way we think since a few other names were trademarked but nothing came. I am thinking though since we know Masuda is at E3 we will get news March maybe? Or at the very least the next Direct. I would really be shocked if E3 is the reveal. I am curious what those two private videos they have are now. Maybe a final Pokken reveal before the game is out in a few weeks

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    The movie title got officially translated to Volcanion & The Ingenious Magearna.

SO the new pokemon English name is Magearna.

Spoiler:

https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/a-new-mythical-pokemon-has-been-discovered/

Last edited:

Years
    I remember in mid 20111 hearing Grey was trademarked though trademarks don't also work out the way we think since a few other names were trademarked but nothing came. I am thinking though since we know Masuda is at E3 we will get news March maybe? Or at the very least the next Direct. I would really be shocked if E3 is the reveal. I am curious what those two private videos they have are now. Maybe a final Pokken reveal before the game is out in a few weeks
    There were hints to a Grey in BW, like N saying something about how the world isn't just Black and White. Sadly I felt that them doing B2W2 caused his words to be less meaningful to the theme of the Gen.

Similarly we're getting a lot of hints towards Z, who it seems that originally GF was leaning away from Z based on Masuda's interview. So this might be a reverse of what occured in Gen V.

destinedjagold

I do not exist.
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2024
    The movie title got officially translated to Volcanion & The Ingenious Magearna.

SO the new pokemon English name is Magearna.

I already commented this on reddit, but I'm gonna say it here, too.
    I don't like the localized name, but then again, I didn't like Talonflame's name either when it was first revealed, but it grew on me as time went on, so it doesn't bother me any more. So Magearna's gonna grow on me eventually (and hopefully. I still hate Oshawott's name).

:3

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Nov 23, 2017
    I think they're pronounced the same though. I like better the Magiana spelling.

I kept saying the japanese name as Mygina

I am wondering if maybe just maybe the game is pre XY and you can catch Pokemon that only existed years ago. Unlike fossils these Pokemon were completely lost and unable to be restored. Or better yet you get stuck in a weird issue that sents you back in time and you need to find a way back making you go on an adventure and by the end the old pokemon get to live in modern day Kalos. Just a theory. :)

Years
    I kept saying the japanese name as Mygina

I am wondering if maybe just maybe the game is pre XY and you can catch Pokemon that only existed years ago. Unlike fossils these Pokemon were completely lost and unable to be restored. Or better yet you get stuck in a weird issue that sents you back in time and you need to find a way back making you go on an adventure and by the end the old pokemon get to live in modern day Kalos. Just a theory. :)
    ohh, I see. Well the Japanese writing has the characters Ma gi a na, and since Japanese usually sounds like it's spelled (in Japanese I mean) I think that's the correct one. With Gia making a sound like Gear.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    There were hints to a Grey in BW, like N saying something about how the world isn't just Black and White. Sadly I felt that them doing B2W2 caused his words to be less meaningful to the theme of the Gen.

Similarly we're getting a lot of hints towards Z, who it seems that originally GF was leaning away from Z based on Masuda's interview. So this might be a reverse of what occured in Gen V.

I don't want to get this too off-topic but... you actually have things mixed up.
    N said:
    "Many different values mix together, and the world becomes gray... That is unforgivable! I will separate Pokémon and people, and black and white will be clearly distinct!"

N always claimed there was no gray--all of his values lie in separating people from Pokémon, separating black from white. The supposed goal of Team Plasma (and the true goal of N) was to liberate Pokémon from people, after all. We could get into symbolism of N being the "gray" between people and Pokémon, but...I'll just leave it at that, that N was the one who said there was no gray (or that there should be no gray). Therefore, keeping black and white separate was actually more faithful to the themes and symbolism of gen 5 (not to mention it was successful story-wise in regards to Kyurem and N's dragon).

But gen 6 doesn't have these same themes--XY takes a different approach to portraying them. It was already kind of...inappropriate, in a sense, how in X they used the life-giving Pokémon to power the ultimate weapon of mass destruction (it seemed natural for Yveltal's deadly energy to power it, though). Because of how they handled the inclusion of the legendary Pokémon into the plot, they're already allowing the theme of life and death to kind of merge together--which is actually understandable since you can't have life without death. But because of this, I find it would work out fine if they took a "third version" approach because there isn't really anything that requires the two to be distinct.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back