• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Those Without Pokedexes

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • How do you think other trainers "look up" Pokemon without Pokedexes? James uses cards, as far as we know. Do you think all trainers in the Pokemon anime even use the Pokedex, or just Ash an his friends? Also, let's be real, the Pokedex is far more useful in the anime than it is in the games. Being able to look up the Pokemon's attacks is practically a gift, if you ask me.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • That part about it being more useful in the anime than the games. The Pokedex in the anime can only look up the current moves it knows, just like in the games we can access the start menu and view the Pokemon page and look at its stats/moves etc. They're really both the same, one isn't more useful than the other.

Anyway, I think most other people will have a Pokedex, they just don't use them as much maybe? Or if they're native to that region knowing about the Pokemon that live there is just common knowledge?

Maybe that's what they teach in schools and such. I don't know, it's an interesting question that can have many theories because there's no right or wrong answer.

クリスタル

The Pokemon Observer
    Years
  • Learn from books and remember them, build up a Pokemon encyclopedia inside your head, as simple as that. What else can it be?

That's why, IMO I think the trainers that can become stronger without the help of Pokedex are the truly "strong trainers", because they took time and effort to learn things beforehand, not relying on thin veneer of knowledge that is told on the spot by a toy-like machine designed for complete novice starting their trainer career without any basic knowledge foundation.

PokeHunterBlack

Bounty Hunter
    Years
  • That part about it being more useful in the anime than the games. The Pokedex in the anime can only look up the current moves it knows, just like in the games we can access the start menu and view the Pokemon page and look at its stats/moves etc. They're really both the same, one isn't more useful than the other.

Anyway, I think most other people will have a Pokedex, they just don't use them as much maybe? Or if they're native to that region knowing about the Pokemon that live there is just common knowledge?

Actually, I was re-watching DP and when Paul uses his Pokedex he can find a Pokemons stats and chose the strongest one. Also in another episode, a girl used a Pokedex to get infomation on her newly-evolved Purugly (The only Pokemon she had BTW).

Back