• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Thoughts on art style change with Sun & Moon?

pkmin3033

It's a trashy art style when compared to DPPt and XY, but that works in its favour because of the absolutely ridiculous faces. It's a light-hearted show so it doesn't really need a more mature or detailed art style. It's...good trash. Or so bad it's transcended the boundaries of bad to become fairly good. It's a metaphor for the Pokemon franchise's gameplay - good content wrapped up in a terrible packaging that nobody seems to really mind for various reasons.

PB

creation hero
    Years
    to be honest, as someone who's a Kalos STAN (yes we exist!!), there are times when I miss the old style

but tbh I've always been in favor of the new style. It really assists in telling the story of Sun/Moon, and gives a more comfy, laid back, 'out in the sun playing on the beach' vibe. Alola is much more comfier than the other regions in my opinion so I'll always stand by the art style choice being one of the greatest decisions they made for the series. I will be honest though, I'm not sure why it was chosen for the 2019 series, but I don't exactly hate it. Ironically you'll find it's more of a hybrid between the old and new style

Years
    I love the artstyle they picked in Sun and Moon, X and Y's art style was too bland and lacked energy, Sun and Moon's was more expressive, energetic and looked more appealing than X and Y's art style.

Years
    i was so used to everyone's aesthetic from kanto - kalos looking relatively the same, that looking at ash's new face sorta threw me off for a bit. i legit thought it was a spin-off anime or smth bcs of how weird/different it was.

got used to it after a while though, and now it's whatevs. still prefer the originals.

Momoro

I'm gonna put some dirt in your eye..
    Years
    In comparison to XY & XYZ, Sun and Moon was a very serious downgrade.

Is it just me, or did Ash lose all of his character development in Sun and Moon? 🤔

Back