• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Thoughts on Fairy Types Now?

*Icecold*

Bow down to Queen Meowstic
Years
  • Right now, Fairy types seem to be almost as powerful as Dragon types. They're not really evening things out in my eyes, just making things more confusing...

And what's up with having only two weaknesses? And why is Fire resistant but can't score a super effective hit? And why do they have to be super effective against Fighting types?

I just don't get it.

Starlight Sprite

Resident Moon Fairy
    Years
  • Personally I find the Fairy type a welcome addition to the Pokemon franchise. Dragon did need something to balance it out, as it resisted four pretty common types and was weak only to itself (tricky to get STAB and super-effective) and Ice, a less commonly seen type. As many of the most powerful non-legendary Pokemon (and some legendaries too) are Dragon, and it was resisted only by Steel, something new was needed to balance it out On top of that, both Steel and Poison are hardly seen on the offensive, the latter also having crippling weaknesses to Psychic and Ground. The Fairy type fills this niche, offering offensive options for two underused types and giving Dragons something to look out for. Honestly I don't think it's that crippling on them anyway. I've used both Dragonair and Salamence in X and Y and they could fight fairies just fine. Many dragons can also learn Iron Tail, giving them something to fight back with anyway.

As for being feminine.... yeah.... some of them are. Some of them are cute (Sylveon!), some are weird looking (Spritzee), but all of the types have odds and ends. This is a pretty accurate reflection, as fairies in mythology and folklore also run the gamut from dainty winged humanoids to animal-like beings to grotesque looking things.

Princess Diana

the people's princess
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    I am Paparazzo and... I am a fairy-type lover...

I can't wait for some more half-fairy Pokemon in the future, the ones we have are a bit rubbish (excluding Gardevoir, perhaps?).

Isasapiens

A pine tree...
    Years
  • I actually like the fairy type. It was a nice, yet odd addition (then again, we have Bug, ghost and Dragon types). Now some of them are really powerful to boot (Togekiss, Sylveon, Mawile and Florges). Seriously, I can't think of being without this type. Then again, most of them are Specially Defensive, which is kinda hard when their weaknesses, Poison and Steel, have somewhat of a high distribution on the Attack side (Poison Jab's a Tm, Iron Head, Bullet Punch, etc.) But still, it is a nice type.

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    One thing that irked me was how people kept trying to denounce the femininity of the Fairy type when it was speculated then announced. Yet all of them, bar Granbull, are pretty feminine

Well, to be fair, they do have MR. Mime as a Fairy type now, which to me makes little sense, but whatever.

Anyway, I have to say that I'm kind of loving the new Fairy type. Although, I would probably love any new type just by virtue of it being a new type. I probably would have gone for another option if I were to introduce a new type, but Fairy so far is pretty awesome. And now people actually have a reason to include a Poison type on their team. Honestly, its great to see Poison get some love in the offensive category. Up till now, its been pretty useless of a type when Grass, the only type its strong against has like four other weaknesses, all of which are more common than Poison and are all strong against other types besides Grass.

I have a Florges on my X team, and the thing is a tank. It probably has the highest Sp. Atk. stat on my team, even though its not the highest-leveled and its a pretty awesome alternative to have on my team when none of the Grass types from this Gen really appealed to me, given that it can learn a wide variety of Grass-type moves, and has much fewer weaknesses than a Grass type. Not to mention that it has a really beautiful and unique design, in my opinion.

I actually like a lot of the Fairy Pokémons' designs. I wasn't a big fan of either Slurpuff or Aromatisse when they were first introduced, but the 3D models for both of those have won me over. Plus, Xerneas is probably one of the most beautiful Pokémon I've ever seen.

That being said, I do have three complaints. 1) They shouldn't have retyped as many Pokémon as Fairy types as they did. Some of them don't even make sense. I don't know how Mr. Mime is so fairy-like. They should have just left him plain Psychic. Plus, I liked the idea of keeping this type rare, sort of like how Dragon- and Ghost-types were incredibly rare when the franchise was first introduced. 2) I hope that next Gen, they do man it up a bit. They are playing up the feminine aspect a lot, while a lot of the fairies from myth were actually just as masculine as others were feminine. and 3) I am a bit irked that, after just being introduced, Fairy-type already has a gym dedicated to it while Dark type is still waiting after 12 years. I mean, come on guys.

Years
  • I oneshotted every Fairy I've encountered, even when I was at/near their levels...as for gardevoir...she falls just as easily as she always has. I murdered Diantha's without meaning to cause I wanted her to Mega Evolve and hit one of mine but she Mega Evolved and then got nuked with an Iron Head.

I'm attempting a mono type run to try and force myself to not see them as pathetically weak Pokemon.

hmm i guess my experience has been a little different with them. sylveon is the only fairy type ive used so i cant really speak for the entire typing and my comment may have been hasty and ill informed. but the whole idea of sylveon is crazy to me. you have to max out its pokemon amie stat which buffs your pokemon and then it has a strength against 3 types and resists or avoids damage completely from 4 types which is off balance as only 3 types resist it and two of them arent very prominent in the game.

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2014
    They are strong against dragon, and they are the females strong against the male-ish fighting type. They are amusing. Yet not that strong for competition, except for Sylveon, that pokemon is a badass supporter.

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
    Years
  • Now that you've experienced the Fairy Type, what do you think about it?

I actually like having a new type, though I don't appreciate the Fighting resistance. I also didn't have a move type advantage when facing the Gym yet it was pretty easy to beat meaning that perhaps they haven't released strong Pokémon of this type.

One thing that irked me was how people kept trying to denounce the femininity of the Fairy type when it was speculated then announced. Yet all of them, bar Granbull, are pretty feminine and GameFreak even included the Trainer Class "Fairytale Girl". Tell me that's not feminine.

Well .... historically fairies have been feminine in most cultures, so meh to the feminine thing. I love the fairy type, they are just as balanced as all other types, if you are not ready for when one is tossed out it will down your pokemon easily, but mostly, it really messes up the battle, the primary benefit of them. This makes them relatively useless for NPCs, but extremely powerful in the hands of a decent trainer.

Ultimately, it's a new type, it will take a while for people to adjust considering how long it has been since a new type has been introduced. Just lay back and enjoy the ride. :P

Years
  • i personally find them annoying since i have no super effective moves on them at all. i havent seen that many of the new pokemon, but this type is definitely op. i think htey should have made dragon and fairs super effective on each other, ilke in fairytales. that is what i believe they were going for.

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
    Years
  • i personally find them annoying since i have no super effective moves on them at all. i havent seen that many of the new pokemon, but this type is definitely op. i think htey should have made dragon and fairs super effective on each other, ilke in fairytales. that is what i believe they were going for.

Poison and steel attack moves are pretty common, if I know something is a fairy type I usually have a pokemon in my team that can ko it.

Years
  • as is the type isnt broken yet but it may be in future generations. if it gets a pokemon with a base stat total of like 550 like some other types have and the stats are smartly distributed for it to be a tank or a sweeper then holy crap it could be great. it is super effective to more than is super effective to it and it resists more than what resists it. and the things that are weak to it are far more common than what its weak against. all the makings of an over powered type it just doesnt have an over powered pokemon in general yet. everyone is praising sylveon as a god and rendering dragons as useless and its not even something as strong as a dragonite or haxorus

Raikou

bolt-action thunder
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Nov 12, 2015
    I'm really unsure about the fairy types. It might just be me, but I really don't like (my) Azumarill. It just keeps getting tossed aside like it's nothing, even from pokemon 3-4 levels lower. I have a Sylveon that's rather strong. Along with Xerneas, those are really the only fairy types I've actually used. Moonblast is a great attack.

The weakness/resistance/strong against stuff still makes no sense in my mind.

All in all, I'm not overly fond of them.

Years
  • This is just my interpretation but Dragon types were supposed to be rare, mystical, powerful types. Therefore I didn't really like the introduction of fairy types but now it's not too bad, most fairy type Pokemon are still pretty weak compared to dragon types so it balances itself out for now.

I find them to be very weak. I smoked the Gym Leader with Sliggoo and Greninja without using Poison or Steel typed attacks. The Fairy Pokemon seem very frail and don't have impressive offense from the ones I faced in game. I was expecting them to all be pretty weak and found them to be weaker than my expectations.

Kinda disappointed that Mawile won't get a lot from her Fairy support since the only physical Fairy attack is Play Rough.

Yeah I do feel kinda disappointed the new Fairy-types and some of the retconned ones seem to have pretty average or lower-than-average BSTs meaning most of them may not make it into the OU tier of the competitive metagame due to the weak stats.

Also, the fact that every Fairy move aside from Play Rough being special or status-based means Azumarill and Mawile may not shine as well as we first thought. I knew the type was going to primarily be specializing in special attacking and supporting roles anyway.

But still, I'm glad they made most of the designs more diverse than we thought.

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    I oneshotted every Fairy I've encountered, even when I was at/near their levels...as for gardevoir...she falls just as easily as she always has. I murdered Diantha's without meaning to cause I wanted her to Mega Evolve and hit one of mine but she Mega Evolved and then got nuked with an Iron Head.

I'm attempting a mono type run to try and force myself to not see them as pathetically weak Pokemon.

Dude, I've one-shotted Pokémon of almost every single type, even when I was at/near their levels.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    In my opinion, they're pretty overpowered. Being able to take out not only dragons, but fighting, dark, and ghosts takes out an entire group of types that I've always stacked together (along with psychic). I don't have any complaints about the retyping they've done. To me, all of them make sense. I do agree that they're all pretty girly. I expected that, but I expected at least some male-oriented Pokémon to be typed as fairy and I don't like how they played that up, considering the entire fairy gym was entirely made up of females in a doll house.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

Anyone who is saying Fairy Type is weak needs to use some good ones in battle. Xerneas, Azumarill and Sylveon are beasts. Geomancy is one of the best signature moves combined with a Power Herb, has deadly results. Also, they are not any more frail than any other types. Sylveon in particular can take soooo many hits.

*Icecold*

Bow down to Queen Meowstic
    Years
  • I'm almost 99% sure that Gamefreak didn't do any research on fairies what-so-ever and only wanted a girly type that could take out more powerful and masculine types of Pokémon.

The only fairy with fairy-like association is Flabebe. The rest aren't really fairies, but they're feminine instead. Fairy must have been the first name that came to find for girlish Pokémon.

I think they're trying to prove that girls are super powerful with the Fairy type...? I think the majority knows that girls are at least somewhat powerful. We don't really need a reminder, do we? :P

Basically what I'm trying to say is don't get your hopes up on us getting fairy based Fairy types.

On a side note, I'm not too interested in using a Sylveon. According to Bulbapedia, the only good moves I could see me teaching it are Moonblast, Dazzling Gleam, Draining Kiss and Shadow Ball.

TWOFACE

Years
  • if they changed Ho-Oh type from fire/flying
    fairy/flying or fairy/fire & gave him Levitate it would be great and we won't have two fire legendary birds pkmn

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I'm almost 99% sure that Gamefreak didn't do any research on fairies what-so-ever and only wanted a girly type that could take out more powerful and masculine types of Pokémon.

The only fairy with fairy-like association is Flabebe. The rest aren't really fairies, but they're feminine instead. Fairy must have been the first name that came to find for girlish Pokémon.

I think they're trying to prove that girls are super powerful with the Fairy type...? I think the majority knows that girls are at least somewhat powerful. We don't really need a reminder, do we?
    12.%20tongue.gif
    So... what about Mawile, based off a Japanese legend? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futakuchi-onna) Or Klefki, a new Fairy type Pokemon based off either Japanese folklore or have something to do with a bridge ('Lover's bridge') in France they throw padlocks off. Sounds like a bit of fairy tale-ness to me, sans the girl type.

Sure, there are some pink cutesy Pokemon that came about, but it doesn't mean they wanted to prove 'girls rule' or whatnot.

Back