• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Thoughts?

Years
    I'm just curious what the general consensus is in terms of the types of Pokemon people like to use when battling (for fun or competitive)? Do you prefer to use Pokemon you personally like, Pokemon that are popular, or Pokemon that are really functional.

Is it worth not always having the most functional team to enjoy playing with your favourite Pokemon?

I know for me, I do look for functionality, but typically I look for it within my favourites which can leave some holes and/or weak spots depending on what I'm up against. Maybe it's a bit silly, but I always feel like my fave Pokemon will be really bummed out if I don't use them... I can't be the only one tho lol!! ^_^

Thoughts?

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    You can use subpar Pokemon as long as you have a strategy and enough skill to make up for the holes. Though, that usually only works when the people you're up against are not as good as yourself, or if you have a favorable matchup.

Years
    That seems to be how a lot of people feel. I battle mostly for fun as I am still learning all the ins and outs of competitive battling, but your point is definitely a good one!

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
    Years
    I usually build serious teams. However, I find it more fun to build with bad Pokemon, like Zygarde in Ubers or Charizard / Aurorus / Meganium (lol) in RU. This is because you can write off most of your losses to your bad team and not your skill, or lack thereof. I don't care about using my favourites very much. Togekiss is locked in the lovely and beautiful tier of ORAS OU, which I don't play, and Lilligant sucks in RU, so I've grown accustomed to not being able to use them.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Every one of my pokemon have a strategy behind their movesets/abilities/items (whether those are GOOD strategies is a completely different question, lol!) so I tend to play with the pokemon I have like, or that I enjoy playing with because the best strategy can always be completely destroyed by one unanticipated move from out of the blue that you weren't expecting or by you getting cocky, so I just play with whatever pokemon I enjoy playing with or feel like using at the time and if I win, I win, if I lose I lose. No big woop either way!

Years
    Every one of my pokemon have a strategy behind their movesets/abilities/items (whether those are GOOD strategies is a completely different question, lol!) so I tend to play with the pokemon I have like, or that I enjoy playing with because the best strategy can always be completely destroyed by one unanticipated move from out of the blue that you weren't expecting or by you getting cocky, so I just play with whatever pokemon I enjoy playing with or feel like using at the time and if I win, I win, if I lose I lose. No big woop either way!

This is totally how I feel! I do love to win (I'm a competitive little nerd hehe) but I also love to have fun and enjoy the Pokemon I like rather than ones I feel like I have to use.

It's definitely interesting to hear the different opinions on this! I don't think there is a wrong answer, just a lot of different ways to enjoy the game though some may be more "successful" in terms of wins than others.

Thank you guys for responding! ♥

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I build my teams almost exactly as you do tweakfox. I usually start with one Pokémon and build up around that depending on what the team needs and what Pokémon I'd like to use who can fill in some holes as far as covering weaknesses and such. I'm pretty lucky too that a lot of my favorite Pokémon are also viable in competitive play.

Years
    I build my teams almost exactly as you do tweakfox. I usually start with one Pokémon and build up around that depending on what the team needs and what Pokémon I'd like to use who can fill in some holes as far as covering weaknesses and such. I'm pretty lucky too that a lot of my favorite Pokémon are also viable in competitive play.

That's pretty awesome! I know a few of mine are good for competitive battling, but there are a couple I use that I'm pretty sure I'd be laughed at for using hehe... I've never really cared about that though since I'm not super into the competitive side of the game yet (this might change one day who knows haha!).

Thank you for your thoughts!

Back