• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tile Insertion For AdvanceMap For Dummies

Jcool

Stellar
Years
Thats normal. Thats because the block data is set to load the tiles you deleted and overwrote. Just go back to the block editor in a-map and edit it and fix it up. Nothing wrong with what youre doing.

And yea you cant expand the bmp cause the game is set to read a specific size.

So how would I go about changing this image?
Tileset0_zps73c58d0f.png

Because hypothetically if I fill that whole bmp with new tiles it will not be enough to do the whole tileset across 7 palettes. But then if I overwrite the tree I have in there, now the blocks I already have in the game get messed up again. Sorry if this is just flying over my head :(

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
Years
So how would I go about changing this image?
Tileset0_zps73c58d0f.png

Because hypothetically if I fill that whole bmp with new tiles it will not be enough to do the whole tileset across 7 palettes. But then if I overwrite the tree I have in there, now the blocks I already have in the game get messed up again. Sorry if this is just flying over my head :(

Well increasing the size is useless as the game has a limiter on the size. But you also have a secondary tilesets that you can use. One thing I like to do is put all of my houses and paths in the secondary tileset that way theres more room for natural tiles in the main.

Jcool

Stellar
Years
Well increasing the size is useless as the game has a limiter on the size. But you also have a secondary tilesets that you can use. One thing I like to do is put all of my houses and paths in the secondary tileset that way theres more room for natural tiles in the main.

Alright, thank you for your help.

BrendanSceptile

147x World Champion
Years
Le pug, you are most certainly a lifesaver! This is exactly what I needed for my Ruby remake and it's convenient because I didn't know how to ask or word what I wanted but this explains it perfectly! Thanks so much

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 4, 2018
See what makes no sense to me about this method is: if I insert say a new building in pallete 7 and change the pallette, then how do I add more things to pallet 7? Because if later I decide to add a lake to palette 7 then it would mess up the colour of the building right? If that is the case then this method lets you insert like 5 items ever and then you run out of spots not to mention changing the palettes could mess up the colour of things already in game.

Is there a way to insert as many images as you want using this method? Can I insert a different item at a later time using a changed palette?

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Feb 9, 2015
See what makes no sense to me about this method is: if I insert say a new building in pallete 7 and change the pallette, then how do I add more things to pallet 7? Because if later I decide to add a lake to palette 7 then it would mess up the colour of the building right? If that is the case then this method lets you insert like 5 items ever and then you run out of spots not to mention changing the palettes could mess up the colour of things already in game.

Is there a way to insert as many images as you want using this method? Can I insert a different item at a later time using a changed palette?

x2 ^
That's what I'm confused about. Let's say I use these random grass tiles and later on I decide that I want this tree as well. How do I go about doing that in the same palette without changing the color of the grass?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 6, 2015
You simply open the tileset in a graphics software and by using the pipette tool, you recolor the tree. Then you insert the tree into the tileset and you're done! I have made a tool which simplifies the process, I think I will release it in a few days. :-)

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
Years
x2 ^
That's what I'm confused about. Let's say I use these random grass tiles and later on I decide that I want this tree as well. How do I go about doing that in the same palette without changing the color of the grass?

This is an easy fix. So you know how you chose your tiles for the grass? But now you wanna add a tree? Simply export the grass tiles into the same image as the tree. Then just go through the whole process of irfranview --> 16 color index , etc.
Example:
08XqL.jpg

Save and open the tileset under the same palette as the tiles you wanna use obviously. Then extract them from the tileset and insert into a new image with the tree and give a common background color that isn't in the images themselves like pink if you're doing green/brown tiles:
3Qvg6.jpg

sQItY.jpg

Save that image as whatever and go to irfanview and index it down to 16 colors. Then Save it and open the image in TileHelperAdvance and convert it. Save the image as some new image with different image name and save the palette based off your amap version.
sQItY.jpg

VpjC9.jpg

j8JjY.jpg

Yatta yatta... you can follow the rest through the tutorial.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 6, 2015
Hey Le pug, just because I am interested: Did you make TileHelperAdvance and in case you did, do you still have the source code for it?

Le pug

Years
Hey Le pug, just because I am interested: Did you make TileHelperAdvance and in case you did, do you still have the source code for it?

no i did not. Dark Sneasel found it actually and showed me it

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 6, 2015
I wonder why there is no thread for it on pokecommunity... What is this all about? The coder is probably Dark Sneasel himself :)

Le pug

Years
I wonder why there is no thread for it on pokecommunity... What is this all about? The coder is probably Dark Sneasel himself :)

its probably from wahack or something, dark sneasel looks around other forums too. im not really sure how he found it lol but the downloads are impossible to find so I'm keeping it in my dropbox just in case.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
No no no no no it wasn't me. Actually, it was here before but it was taken down, so I found it in some german rom hacking website :D
The creator is actually a really cool guy :)

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Feb 9, 2015
I can't understand a word though, that is probably the gerrman forum :P Actually I was having the same idea as this guy, but I also implemented support for 256 colors. Not sure if I should release it now, if it already exists ;)

You should share the version with your implementation, it would help :D

Years
  • Age 22
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 4, 2015
Thanks for the tut Le Pug! It helped me a lot.

I only have one problem. On my second attempt, when I opened my picture in TileHelperAdvance and tried to convert it, I had the pop-up error. So, I clicked the ok, but instead of keeping my pink background, it changed it to a gray.

I had the idea of opening my converted picture in Paint and changing the background back, but wasn't sure if that would make it not work or something.

Thanks for the help beforehand!

Le pug

Years
Thanks for the tut Le Pug! It helped me a lot.

I only have one problem. On my second attempt, when I opened my picture in TileHelperAdvance and tried to convert it, I had the pop-up error. So, I clicked the ok, but instead of keeping my pink background, it changed it to a gray.

I had the idea of opening my converted picture in Paint and changing the background back, but wasn't sure if that would make it not work or something.

Thanks for the help beforehand!

Did you decrease the colors to 16 in irfanview? If not, it could do this

Barry

Pokémon Trainer
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 16, 2018
Is there any limit to the amount of tiles that can be added / palettes that can be used? I know by default, there's only so much room in the tileset and there also appears to be a limit in the number of palettes. I could see this becoming a problem if someone wanted to add a lot of custom tiles.

Years
  • Age 22
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 4, 2015
Did you decrease the colors to 16 in irfanview? If not, it could do this

I think I did, let me try again. I'll see if it works. I'll come back and edit this post.

Edit: I tried, it still changed it. Do you think I can just edit the converted picture in paint? Or would that mess it up?

Last edited:
Back