• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tile/Palette Rating Thread

The Walrus

it's a me, jesse
Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2019
    Okaaaaayyyy. I created a thread long ago, for the rating of tiles and palettes. This is the same thread 5 years later. So, yeah, post some tiles & palettes for rating.

kgo

---

Okay, I guess I should start it out. Here is something I've been working on lately.
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    The shadows (particularly the ones under the signs) feel really harsh, maybe they could be toned down to a lighter grey or something? And some of the default tiles really clash with the custom ones, mainly the small trees and the house. At the very least they should have more of a defined outline for consistency, ideally just change them completely. Also the mountain corners look really ugly but I'm assuming you'll fix that.

Might as well post something of mine for the hell of it, here's a WIP part of a forest in my hack:
    Spoiler:

The Walrus

it's a me, jesse
    Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2019
    The shadows (particularly the ones under the signs) feel really harsh, maybe they could be toned down to a lighter grey or something? And some of the default tiles really clash with the custom ones, mainly the small trees and the house. At the very least they should have more of a defined outline for consistency, ideally just change them completely. Also the mountain corners look really ugly but I'm assuming you'll fix that.

Might as well post something of mine for the hell of it, here's a WIP part of a forest in my hack:
    Spoiler:
    You mean the inside corners of the mtns? Haha yeah I forgot to insert them so I had to make due with the stock ones for the demonstration. Also the house is likely going to be replaced, I just couldn't get around to it. Duely noted about the tree though, I planned on replacing it with the one that matches the big tree after I looked at it more. Thanks for the cc though my friend. I will review yours later, I'm currently busy and on a phone haha

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
  • Okaaaaayyyy. I created a thread long ago, for the rating of tiles and palettes. This is the same thread 5 years later. So, yeah, post some tiles & palettes for rating.

kgo

---

Okay, I guess I should start it out. Here is something I've been working on lately.
    Spoiler:

I don't really like the big tree tiles. Imo, the trees are fat and short. If you want big trees, I think the trees from Black and white are better. As for the small tree, the shading/outline on it are too light in comparison to the rest of the tiles. The same could be said about the petals on your flower tiles.

The house just doesn't match the style of the rest of the tiles in general. Overall I'd give the grass a different pal, one not as similar as the pals in the tree tiles.

Spoiler:

I think the big mushroom could use a darker outline, the smaller ones are fine. Something to consider is that if someone plays your hack on actual GBA hardware the darkened tiles are impossible to see due to the lack of a back light.
    -

There's not much to say, huh?

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017

Spoiler:
    I don't think the growth on the stumps is working to your advantage because it undercuts the illusion of being three-dimensional. We're not able to getting much of that cylindrical definition because the green distracts from the edge. Part of that might be the contrast of the colors you've chosen, I couldn't tell the greens were different until I zoomed in super close. It's also possible that you're trying to cram too much detail into too small of a space.

I absolutely love the tiny mushrooms. I'm not super keen on the bigger ones but that might change if you add more contrast to the shades. I can't tell for now.
    A really neat idea for the smaller mushroom tiles would be to arrange them in a circle to make a fairy ring. Even if you don't have the fairy type implemented you could put some kind of item at the center of it that pertains to magic some way (Like Never-melt Ice or Heal Powder.) If you use these tiles elsewhere I'd recommend using a different map simply because this one doesn't offer a lot of space to put something like that in there.

The logs bother me slightly. The seem awkwardly positioned in the tile. I tend to prefer objects like that to either be centered in the tile or take up more or fill up more of the canvas space. The empty space between it and the grass just feels off.

The hollow trunk has a bit of a harsh outline on the edge that makes it look really flat compared to the other tiles. Where the mushrooms need more contrast I think the trunk might need less. I also wonder if it's at an appropriate angle? It almost looks like we're viewing it from the side rather than from a top down perspective. Wouldn't we see more of the inside of the trunk? I do think it's worth mentioning that you did a great job with the wood texture.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    Any thoughts?
    Spoiler:
    Your palette is outstanding! It's very lively and pleasing to the eye.
    I love how the trees integrate together, with the larger green trees acting as a transition between the orange trees and the thinner trees.

There is one tree that I feel doesn't make sense being there. On the bottom half of the map you have these big green trees that are almost egg shape. They look kind of unnatural. It looks so similar to your other big green tree that it almost reads as a mistake… It'd make sense just to replace those trees with the other ones you have. It'd look better and will give you the chance to insert more tiles if you needed to.

You have a single tile with yellow flowers. It kind of looks out of place here.

I'm not the biggest fan of the taller signs.

I don't really understand the white 'fence' looking part on the roof of most of the houses? It looks very out of place to me.

There's a house that has a roof that is flat on one side and sloped on the other... I don't think it works here. I think it's because the house is too short. The flat side should be extended more to look more complete or the other side should be sloped as well. Right now it has this cut-off effect.

At the moment I think the purple building is the weakest element in this map. It has a really harsh outline which is making it both stick out more and look flatter. It would be helpful to know a little bit more about what the building is intended for.
    One way to tie the building into the map even better would be to take the palette from the blue flowers and use it to replace the purple trim. It makes the map just a tad bit more cohesive.
    Also, there really should be a little bit of space between that building and the house next to it. It's very unnatural looking right now.

Last edited:
    Back