• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Time of day focus

Years
  • So, based on evidence we've seen in trailers so far, it appears there's a huge focus on the time of day in Sun & Moon. As shown with stuff like inverted time between versions, certain Pokemon being encountered at day or night, and Lycanroc's forms.

Lycanroc's forms being version exclusive and evolving at a certain time of day also seems to imply that Sun will mainly focus on events in the daytime, while Moon foucsses more on nighttime events. The versions also have exclusive Totem events with Gumshoos encountered during the day in Sun, and Alolan Raticate being encountered at night in Moon.

What do you think of this? Do you like Sun's day focus and Moon's night focus, or were you hoping for more equal treatment?

raxic_ex

I'm Buizel of the Expedition Society!
    Years
  • I like it more, for me it shows the distinct differences between 2 versions, not just minor version exclusives and some places settings (Black City/White Forest in BW). It just feels like each version will have their specialty and not just mirror copy of each other with a minor differences to notice.

That's typically a good thing, but I'm not that rich to buy 2 versions so I'll be embraced by the Moon as it's my choice ^^

Pretty Wing

きれいなハネ
    Years
  • I like it, but I don't know about playing in constant night time (Moon) in a region based on Hawaii? Seems like I'd be missing out. I've always planned on buying Moon, but I don't know, Sun seems more appealing in that sense.

Then again I play 80% of the time in the evening/late night, so would that not count as day time in Moon?

Years
  • Then again I play 80% of the time in the evening/late night, so would that not count as day time in Moon?

I am sure that if you play at night, it will be daytime in Moon. The time in Moon is basically going to be the opposite of the current time in Sun.

Pretty Wing

きれいなハネ
    Years
  • I am sure that if you play at night, it will be daytime in Moon. The time in Moon is basically going to be the opposite of the current time in Sun.

Perfect. Most of my play time will be on the bus home/at home because Final Year is going to eat up my day time, lol.

I prefer Lycanroc's midday form so that was kind of a bummer, but my partner and I will be trading version exclusives to one another anyway.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I like it, but I don't know about playing in constant night time (Moon) in a region based on Hawaii? Seems like I'd be missing out. I've always planned on buying Moon, but I don't know, Sun seems more appealing in that sense.

Then again I play 80% of the time in the evening/late night, so would that not count as day time in Moon?

Well with the night time, the torches will play a role. And from what I have seen, the torches and lighting look amazing during the night time.

As for me, Sun is where I will be going mainly. Although I like Night time more, I like games to be Day when it is Day for me and Night when it is Night for me, it is just more immersive for me that way.

And besides, I have a lot of free time, so I can play whenever. I play when I am not driving going down the road and all my work is usually mid morning to a bit after noon. And eventually, I will get both games anyway.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    Re: the heavy time emphasis, and Sun's events focusing on the daytime/Moon's events focusing on the nighttime, I wonder if it will feel odd to play the games outside of their "expected" play hours. E.g., if I play Moon at 1 am, which would be daytime in the game, will it feel strange because the game is intended to be played during our "day," which would be nighttime in the game? I don't tend to play games during "standard" daytime hours (I mostly play right before bed, generally somewhere in the 1-2 am range or so), which has never affected my Pokemon experience that much before (aside from it being dark all the time and Dusk Balls being overpowered everywhere), but I wonder whether my playtime preference is going to cause any issues for me this time around.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Re: the heavy time emphasis, and Sun's events focusing on the daytime/Moon's events focusing on the nighttime, I wonder if it will feel odd to play the games outside of their "expected" play hours. E.g., if I play Moon at 1 am, which would be daytime in the game, will it feel strange because the game is intended to be played during our "day," which would be nighttime in the game? I don't tend to play games during "standard" daytime hours (I mostly play right before bed, generally somewhere in the 1-2 am range or so), which has never affected my Pokemon experience that much before (aside from it being dark all the time and Dusk Balls being overpowered everywhere), but I wonder whether my playtime preference is going to cause any issues for me this time around.

It is based on your DS time, so if you have Moon, you could set your DS to say 9pm and play during the day still.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    Would be interesting if you could only face Lunala at night and Solgaleo during the day.

I have a feeling this will be "event" that makes them appear. Otherwise, I don't really see any other point in having the games in different times of the day.

Last edited:
    Back