• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Too Late for the Mew Glitch?

Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2016
    I decided very late in the game that I'd like to exploit the glitch that gets you Mew. It's my first play-through, so I'm not sure if I've missed my window of opportunity. I've defeated most of the long-range trainers.

I have just arrived at Cinnabar Island, and I've battled all of the trainers on the mainland (every area east of Route 22). There are still long-range trainers in the part of Route 20 closest to the island, and the two in Route 21. It is my understanding that after you engage the first trainer to exploit the glitch, you are unable to press any button again until you encounter the second trainer. So I'm guessing this means I can't use long-range trainers in the water at all. I need to press buttons to activate Surf, and I obviously can't.

So I my question is, are there any long range trainers near each other for the rest of the game? I'm not sure the specifics of the areas that come after Cinnabar Island, but I know they include Routes 22,23, Victory Road, and the Indigo Plateau.

Is there an alternate way to catch Mew that is still available to me?

Did I miss my opportunity to catch him?

I should mention that I'm aware that the GameShark, trading him from another game, and restarting from scratch are options. I was wondering about my current in-game options.

Last edited by a moderator:

Karous

Captain Obvious
    Years
  • The way I understand it is that the reason specific trainers are used for the Mew glitch is because you need an index number of 21 to spawn it - meaning the last Pokemon you encounter needs to have a special stat of 21. Even if you get the long range glitch to work, you won't spawn a Mew because the late game trainers don't have Pokemon with a special stat of 21.

You're SOL unless you get really, really lucky with a wild encounter and spawn a wild Pokemon with a special stat of 21 while performing the glitch. And since you have to generate a wild Pokemon at the same time as a trainer, good luck trying to pull that off. x_x

Years
  • Technically, no, you're not too late, it'll just take a bit more work and planning.

Bulbapedia has a really good explanation of how the glitch works, but basically it has to do with a general glitch that happens when you escape from a trainer before they can walk up to you, and the special stat of the last pokemon you battled, not those trainers in particular.

You will need a pokemon that knows teleport or fly, a pokemon with a special stat of 21, access to an area that contains Ditto, and two long-range trainers (i.e., trainers that walk up to you when they see you) that you haven't battled yet. Best to make sure you can get to/from each of these trainers without going through any areas that you could encounter a pokemon. Also make sure these trainers are fairly far apart (on different routes is best, to make sure they aren't sharing the same map)

Go to your first trainer, and hit the menu button just as you come into their view (you may have to experiment a bit to find where that spot is. Also only seems to work if you're stepping down, but that might just be me). Once you've managed that, teleport/fly/dig your way out. Go to the second trainer you've chosen, and battle them. It doesn't matter if you actually beat them. Make sure you give them enough space to walk up to you, or the game may freeze.

Put the pokemon with the Special stat of 21 in the front of your party, go to an area that contains Ditto, and battle one - once it copies your pokemon, it will have the same Special stat, which is what will make Mew appear.

Now, go back to the trainer that you escaped from, making sure to avoid any wild encounters or battles with other trainers. The menu should open on it's own once you get close enough, and when you close it, a wild Mew should appear. Make sure you have lots of pokeballs/ultraballs, and a pokemon that can cause Sleep or Paralysis so you can actually catch it. Also keep in mind that it's only going to be lvl 7, so don't go in there with a pokemon that's too strong.

You can use this method to catch pretty much any pokemon you want (including pokemon that are exclusive to the opposite version of your game). I haven't tested it extensively myself, but I've read up on it a fair bit and it seems to work for everyone who's tried it (at least in Red and Blue. Yellow seems to behave a bit differently for some people)

Happy and at peace. :)
    Years
  • Technically, no, you're not too late, it'll just take a bit more work and planning.

Bulbapedia has a really good explanation of how the glitch works, but basically it has to do with a general glitch that happens when you escape from a trainer before they can walk up to you, and the special stat of the last pokemon you battled, not those trainers in particular.

You will need a pokemon that knows teleport or fly, a pokemon with a special stat of 21, access to an area that contains Ditto, and two long-range trainers (i.e., trainers that walk up to you when they see you) that you haven't battled yet. Best to make sure you can get to/from each of these trainers without going through any areas that you could encounter a pokemon. Also make sure these trainers are fairly far apart (on different routes is best, to make sure they aren't sharing the same map)

Go to your first trainer, and hit the menu button just as you come into their view (you may have to experiment a bit to find where that spot is. Also only seems to work if you're stepping down, but that might just be me). Once you've managed that, teleport/fly/dig your way out. Go to the second trainer you've chosen, and battle them. It doesn't matter if you actually beat them. Make sure you give them enough space to walk up to you, or the game may freeze.

Put the pokemon with the Special stat of 21 in the front of your party, go to an area that contains Ditto, and battle one - once it copies your pokemon, it will have the same Special stat, which is what will make Mew appear.

Now, go back to the trainer that you escaped from, making sure to avoid any wild encounters or battles with other trainers. The menu should open on it's own once you get close enough, and when you close it, a wild Mew should appear. Make sure you have lots of pokeballs/ultraballs, and a pokemon that can cause Sleep or Paralysis so you can actually catch it. Also keep in mind that it's only going to be lvl 7, so don't go in there with a pokemon that's too strong.

You can use this method to catch pretty much any pokemon you want (including pokemon that are exclusive to the opposite version of your game). I haven't tested it extensively myself, but I've read up on it a fair bit and it seems to work for everyone who's tried it (at least in Red and Blue. Yellow seems to behave a bit differently for some people)
    Right on the money. Follow their advice to get your Mew buddy.

Years

Also worth noting that this procedure can be used to get any Pokémon in the game. The special stat of the Pokémon Ditto transforms into determines what Pokémon you'll encounter. List here (use the numbers under DEC): http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pokémon_by_index_number_(Generation_I)

JOBO

o/_\O
    Years
  • If you are playing on a cartridge there is still a way to get a legit event Mew. You need to buy/ own an everdrive Gb. There is a crystal version save file backup floating around the internet that contains many of the event pokemon from the early gens (Mew included). You download this file, open it up in a clean crystal rom in everdrive gb, use a gameboy colour and link cable to trade the Mew to your official cart. This is how I managed to get some of the long expired events on my early games. You do need to have a lot of stuff to make this work, but it makes sense considering how old these events are.

Back