• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Too Many HMs!

valmont667

Porygon Fan
Years
  • Hey, I've just discovered this cool site and wanted to discuss the HM problem in the latest Pokemon games.

There are far too many HM's and I don't see why we need them all. Even if you find a HM you can't use it till you have the right GYM badge so why not simply allow the GYM leader to teach you who to, for example, smash rocks (Rock Smash) with your strength ability. Strength can be used to cover 3 HMs in one (Rock Smash, Strength and Rock Climb) also Fly and Defog could be combined and allow Fearow to flap its wings to blow the fog away, Waterfall and Surf are also two water moves that could be joined as one. It would appear the only real HMs we need are Fly, Surf, Cut and Strength, the others can be used in multipurpose ways with these base HMs. And while Fly and Surf are useful in battle these new HMs are all stupid.

It sucks having to give HM moves to everyone in your party just to navigate a stupid maze of rocks and walls and water. I don't understand why they dropped Flash, which was useful in battle and brough in usless moves like Defog.

For the next generation of Pokemon adventures I hope to see less of these HMs or allowing them to be outside battle only moves that don't waste a battle slot.

If you have any ideas for combating the HM problem I'd like to hear them.

Years
  • oh, yeah, i think you're right, i usually use only fly and surf, the other hm moves just waste rooms for other moves, they should cut off some hm in next gen

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
    Years
  • Yeah, I totally agree. I have even bickered this point before, and my annoyance at having to use up perfectly good move slots for them. Lets just pray to god we don't get anymore:C I will flip out!

Jukain-Arashi

PM me for Lockerz invitation.
    Years
  • Waterfall isn't a waste actually. In competitive battling it's one of the strongest physical water attacks. Surf is one of the best special water attack. So those aren't really a big deal. I understand that the others can be a pain. But then again, that's why Bidoof/Bibarel is such a good HM slave :D

ÇyänïdëÉX

Dr.banana
    Years
  • Oh yeah i had to carry around two useless pokemon that had HMs because i didn't want to put them on my good pokemon. Then again i don't know nothing about the level of skills or how strong they might be.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • I really didnt care for HMs that much, but it does bug me that a few take up move slots and are useless (defog) Rock smash isnt really that powerful (even though they boosted the attack power of it in DPPt) The only ones that I teach to pokemon is surf, fly, strength, and waterfall. They are pretty good in battle (espically fly & waterfall)

Years
  • I was just thinking the same thing earlier today when I had to put my game down after I couldn't figure out which Pokémon I wanted to teach Defog to in order to get through Route 215. I don't mind teaching a Pokémon an HM that can also be useful in battles, but I don't want to waste move spaces on HMs like Defog which more or less only get you through a route, nor do I want to carry around Pokémon that I don't actually plan on using in a battle just because I need to get through said routes. I'd like to either return to the original set of HMs (and maybe even include a few of the newer ones that aren't as useless as Defog) or, if they must continue introducing new HMs, to see new HMs that are both useful outside and inside of battle.

Phaux

Legend Hunter
    Years
  • The biggest annoyance I see in generation 4 is defog... I wish they had never even added fog, it's horrible unless you bring some pokemon with swift and similar moves.
    It would be no where near as bad if you could erase HM moves yourself instead of having to go to the move deleter.
    Bidoof + Starly, they can do 6 HMs, normally I do Surf on my water type, Strength + Rock Smash + Rock Climb + Waterfall on Bidoof and Defog + Fly on Starly.

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
  • I think the number of Hidden Machines is fine. It may be annoying at times to carry Pokemon around just to be able to access certain areas but that creates part of the challenge.

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
  • I hate having to go through Victory Road and Mt Coronet with like four HMs. I wish I could just freely walk through a cave with all six of my team members.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Hmmm......i have actually managed to get all HMs on my team with only two pokes!!!even though, it is a water team:

Blastoise-Surf
    Feraligatr-Waterfall
    Tropius-Cut,Fly,Defog
    Golem-Strength,Rock Smash,Rock Climb (he evolved when i used him to trade over my Electivire)

MarstheCar

I lurk often.
    Years
  • Defog was pretty useless after the second time through for me. The others I gave to my HM Slaves. They should change Defog like Flash in D/P/Pl.

Years
  • The biggest annoyance I see in generation 4 is defog... I wish they had never even added fog, it's horrible unless you bring some pokemon with swift and similar moves.
    Imagine if GF decided to create a Pokemon that has the ability to summon fog. XD

Like others already have said, It'd be better if they could just be forgotten. Although, it'd be a good idea if they made it so at least one Pokemon has to have the specific HM, like how you can't release a Pokemon that happens to be the only one with a certain HM move.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • Actually, if one thinks about it, there is an equal amount of HM move-sets since there has ever been HM move-sets.

Instead of Flash and Dive, Nintendo and Game Freak replaced it with Defog and Rock Climb. Simple, no?

Ellie

Sweet Punch!
    Years
  • I don't think there's necessarily too many HM's, I think the bigger problem is that all the moves except Surf and now Waterfall are basically useless. Cut would actually be somewhat useful if it was Grass-type and Strength would be useful if it was Fighting-type. The other moves are basically useless anyway though. I usually try to work in as many HM moves as I can on my main team so I don't have to use slaves, but I end up with several move slots that could have been filled much better being useless.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I kind of agree with you, but it also on the other hand doesn't really bother me. The plot of the game does.

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2010
    The amount of HM's is fine, but a little overrated.
    Some of the HM's could be combined, like surf & waterfall, fly & defog, rock smash & strength (it takes strength to be able to smash rocks, duh.)

IDK why, but does anyone else think that Rock Climb should be a rock type move and not a normal type?

Years
  • IDK why, but does anyone else think that Rock Climb should be a rock type move and not a normal type?
    You're climbing rocks, not controlling them. I can climb rocks, and so can many other people and animals; that makes it normal.

If HMs became regular skills or were combined, I'd have to say I'd miss my Surf an Waterfall. Maybe they could stay as moves, but the skills could just be given to a specific Pokemon over time? The could just get rid of moves like Rock Smash all together though.

Back