• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Too many legends?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiendly

Never let go.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2012
    In the Pokemon series, there have been instances that there are multiples of legendary Pokemon..

Anyways, if it's an addition to the storyline then why does it matter?
    If it makes the game go longer, then go for it.. But I do agree with some that are pointless which should be left as normal.

But I never thought to call Pokemon that weren't related to the plot line.. Legendaries?

Hassamu

Beamin'
    Years
    It's gotten to the the point where there is no 'thrill' in catching the legendaries anymore, by the end of D/P it felt more like a chore than anything.

I think that having legendaries as the focal point of the storyline makes it less exciting in a way, in Gen I & II the legendaries were a bit mysterious and were really only referenced very slightly throughout the games. It made catching them all the more fun!

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
    Years
    The Lake Guardians are all cheap rip-offs of each other. I wouldn't mind if they stayed in their caves and never came out.

hahaha, kudos man, those three are pointless, and their existance is pure pain for pokemon fans !!

It's gotten to the the point where there is no 'thrill' in catching the legendaries anymore, by the end of D/P it felt more like a chore than anything.

I think that having legendaries as the focal point of the storyline makes it less exciting in a way, in Gen I & II the legendaries were a bit mysterious and were really only referenced very slightly throughout the games. It made catching them all the more fun!

yep, exactly how i feel, i mean in gen 4, the dimensional four should've been the only leendaries, i wouldn't have minded that, and in gen 5, what the hell are those pig trio doing posing as legendaries ?? and that freek'n maloetta, i mean common, its obvious that gf made these when it reached a point where it had no more ideas, couldn't they have stopped ??

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years

I agree with you completely. The legendaries aren't exciting anymore. They have become mundane.

But since someone mentioned it, I love Cresslia. Maybe it is because I worship a moon goddess, but I think Cresslia is beautiful.

Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2013
    I found them to be a nice addition, mostly because they gave me something to do after the main story. I hardly ever use any of them, though.

Years
    I think the legendary pokemons from sinnoh was good since they had a pretty decent back story of it (well maybe except heatran...i never knew what was the point in heatran....). It explained where pokemons were from and kinda had the same idea as kyore and groudon (first time pokemons were introduced that could apparently destroy the world!)

Unova legendaries are kinda......bad (i still very much enjoyed the game btw). I was hoping black and white would focus more on the new non-legendary pokemons like back in the days of Y/R/B. All im saying is, other than the cover legendary pokemons, the rest of them had bad backstories and they didnt really influence the game all that much. I didnt know about the muskateer trio and tornadus until i was finished the game the first time around and completing the unova dex.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Just a clarification, Phione is not really considered a legendary IMO. I mean, you can breed it! Legendaries are not breedable, they are supposed to be 1 per game!

Manaphy can breed too.

I've never really felt like there were too many. Yeah, there are a lot of them, but attaching the word "Legendary" just doesn't make much of a difference to me anymore. It's almost like the word "Legendary" is just like another type, kinda..? The overabundance just makes me feel like it's a useless title now more than anything. I don't really mind the amount, though... some of my favorite legendaries came in Gen IV, like Heatran. -cuddles his Heatran- <33

Years
    I like the abundance of Legendary Pokemon, simply because they give a mythos of sorts to the games. I like how this game went into depth about mythology, expanding a lot from RSE. ^-^

Molts

Novice Breeder
    Years
    I don't quite agree that there were to many, though it could have been handled better.

Regigigas felt necessary as a legendary, because they did not have a leader, and without a leader their threat wouldn't have really mattered to the point of being sealed away. Plus they felt like keys to a greater force, which Regigigas embodies.

The lake spirits were the sprites of the reigon, giving the player a smaller, more trickster-like Pokemon to seek, rather than the gods like Palkia. Plus they embodied the forces of man, emotion knowledge willpower, which had no origin beforehand without the assumption that they're exactly like us.

Heatran was very cool, but felt very black sheep in comparison. He wasn't connected to the main story, so you had no true motivation in game to go find him beyond the volcano erupting.

Creslia and Darkrai were very cool legendaries, but I never understood why one was event only, while the other was a (very annoying) roaming pokemon. They also lacked true motivation within the main story line.

Manaphy, Shaymin and Arceus I can't really comment on, since all being event only, it would be impossible to make them very important in the story, but also prevent anyone from getting them within the game. It would feel very broken.

All in all, its not that the legendaries were to many in number, but that only a few of them made appearances within the story line, and thus get the player to make them feel the foreboding sense of them and their power. So I will say their were to many event exclusive Pokemon, but that's a different concept than just having to many legendaries.

Years
    I think they went a bit overkill with the legendaries in fourth gen. It's hardly legendary if there's so many of them. When I used to play Red and Blue having one of the legendary birds or Mewtwo was amazing, having Mew made you a god among kids. Nowadays it's nothing like that.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    It does seem that there are a few too many legendaries in this gen (and Gen V to a certain extent). As well as this, they all seemed to be competing with each other as to who could one-up the other one... and then you have Arceus: supposedly the 'God' Pokemon. There's still probably going to be another one, an even better one, coming up eventually, but I'd rather there be fewer legendaries if it means a better gameplay (not that it's a zero-sum game or anything).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back