• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Toughest Gym Battle

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
  • As I recall, I had the hardest time with Fantina. I don't think it really registered with me that she had Ghost types because the gym puzzle is math and idk. I didn't get the name pun, either. Went over my head. lol But yeah, needless to say, I wasn't really ready for Ghost types and I got wiped...and even after I came back knowing what to do, Mismagius still murdered me.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Plat's Ghost gym, hands down. My 2nd nuzrun for that game, I ground hard and tried to form a good strategy, and yes, I still lost a mon to it. It doesn't help that there's Shadow ball off an already strong special hitter...

Years
  • As I recall, I had the hardest time with Fantina. I don't think it really registered with me that she had Ghost types because the gym puzzle is math and idk. I didn't get the name pun, either. Went over my head. lol But yeah, needless to say, I wasn't really ready for Ghost types and I got wiped...and even after I came back knowing what to do, Mismagius still murdered me.

When you think about it, her puzzle didn't really suggest a Ghost-type Gym at first. Platinum did make it more obvious though, but it also doesn't help that aren't many solid counters for the type in Sinnoh either.

Plat's Ghost gym, hands down. My 2nd nuzrun for that game, I ground hard and tried to form a good strategy, and yes, I still lost a mon to it. It doesn't help that there's Shadow ball off an already strong special hitter...

Like I said quoting Syd, Ghost is a type that doesn't have many good counters in Sinnoh. Platinum makes it even worse since you can't get any Dark-types before the 3rd Gym, so you often have to rely on strong neutral attacks which leave you vulnerable due to her Mismagius' powerful special attacks such as Shadow Ball and Psybeam. It's one of the reasons why she's my most hated Sinnoh Gym Leader.

MachoPony

Resident Brony
    Years
  • Fantina was a huge problem for me in both games, when i first played diamond as a newb, i had a highly Overlevelled infernape so it wasnt hard, but any time i tried real strategy she was hard as hell

recently in a plat firemono (up to gym 4 iirc) i had to grind monferno and ponyta to level 30 each just to stand a chance against mismagius

LouIsPlaying

Trying Poketuber
    Years
  • I always remember Fantina being such a challenge. I'm currently doing a Pealr Nuzlocke and I hope I don't loose nothing too important to her haha

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
  • ^ Same thing over here, I found a lot of heartache battling Fantina in Platnium.

Hypnosis was a deadly move back in Gen 4 when the sleep status condition seem'd like it would last forever. + Drifblim was such a powerhouse for the level you were battling her on

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
  • The hardest Gym leader for me in gen 4 was Gardenia. I used to only train my starter Pokemon back then and the only way I managed to beat her was when I kept grinding that damn prinplup till it evolved into an Empoleon.

MachoPony

Resident Brony
    Years
  • dosent it learn pluck at a fairly low-ish level? if you're high enough to outspeed roserade you should be able to at least 2hko

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Aug 12, 2017
    I'd say Fantina in Platinum especially. That Mismagius is way too OP to have at such an early stage of the game and it doesn't help that you have literally no options for Dark-types available to you by that point. Oh, did I mention it also has Shadow Ball?

Crasher Wake is an honourable mention with his strong Floatzel, which will pretty much outspeed anything on your team and has Ice Fang to cover Grass-types. Also as Shawn said, Candice is nothing but an evasion noob with that Froslass. Double Team + Snow Cloak combo is nothing but there to make you mad.

Torterra learns bite at level 22 and crunch at level 45. It worked pretty good for me when I was starting out. Froslass, on the other hand... that took me a couple tries. I had to go underground for an hour until I found a heart scale and re-teach aerial ace to my staraptor so I could hit, but my staraptor got destroyed by froslass's blizzard. Ended up killing it with a critical hit from gyarados...

*Edit: Grotle learns bite at level 22.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Torterra learns bite at level 22 and crunch at level 45. It worked pretty good for me when I was starting out. Froslass, on the other hand... that took me a couple tries. I had to go underground for an hour until I found a heart scale and re-teach aerial ace to my staraptor so I could hit, but my staraptor got destroyed by froslass's blizzard. Ended up killing it with a critical hit from gyarados...

*Edit: Grotle learns bite at level 22.

I'm not counting Pokemon that learn Dark moves, just actual Dark-type Pokemon.

Greninjauzumaki

Pokepro
    Years
  • I had trouble battlng Whitney. She seemed to be the toughest gymleader in the Heartgold Soulsilver games in my opinion. It was miltank in particular which I found it difficult to finish off. Especially when it uses milkdrink to regain health and Stomp to defeat my pokemon.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Sep 18, 2017
    Fantina in Platinum is a Nuzlocke ender for me regularly.
    Claire is probably the only Johto gym I'd say poses any threat. On Whitney's Clefairy I use X-Items on a Geodude or Raticate to destroy her Miltank fast. X-Items are a life saver in every instance where you need to ensure you can snag a victory.
    In Diamond/Pearl I'd still say Fantina is the toughest, but that's only cause she didn't get OHKO'd by my team the way the rest of the Gyms did. She actually put up a decent fight until my Floatzel finally get the Crunch on her.

Last edited:
    Back