• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Toughest Gym Puzzle

Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2010
    I remember playing Sapphire when I was little and I got extremely annoyed by the gym with the ice you had to slide across. One false move, and you were back to the beginning. It was so awful.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Kanto: Vermilion Gym
    Johto: Ecruteak Gym
    Hoenn: Hardest gyms in this region, imo. But Sootopolis Gym caused me to restart my first time playing Sapphire.
    Sinnoh: Snowpoint Gym

mal'akh

Hate this place. Gone for good
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2011
    Kanto was Vermilion for me. omfg.
    For Johto...idk. I think I had more trouble with Pryce's gym.
    Hoenn...well, no one really. Flannery's was probably the most difficult for me.that or Tate & Liza's.
    Sinnoh was uhm...I guess Volkner's.
    I say Volkner because I thought at first I couldn't go through the electricity, so when it lined me up to go to him, I thought I couldn't because of the electricity. >.>"

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
  • Kanto: Fuschia City[/SARCASM] (seriously, you can SEE the walls!)
    Okay seriously now: Vermillion/Saffron
    Johto: Mahogony
    Hoenn: Wallace/Juan (took me so long to get that last section of the puzzle)
    Sinnoh: Snowpoint (all)/ Maylene (DP only, though Platinum may be challenging as well to first time Gen IV players)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Gen I (FR/LG):
    -Koga (I hated his invisible wall puzzle)
    -Giovanni (it was hard deciding where to go)

Gen II (HG/SS):
    -Clair (only in the last part of the puzzle, where I have to move the moving platform in the right place)

Gen III (R/S/E):
    -Flannery (it was hard to tell where the "portals" would lead to)
    -Winona (the doors were tricky to navigate through)
    -Tate and Liza (same reason as Giovanni)
    -Wallace/Juan (I really hated that ice puzzle)

Gen IV (D/P/Pt)
    -Candice (no need to explain)
    -Volkner (moving the bridges/platforms to the right places with the switches was hard)

Editman

Pokemon Collector
    Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2014
    I have my 3rd Badge in Black and well most of the gym puzzles i've been in except Hiun city; have been tough

EPIC Shedinja Hollow

Fallen Angel
    Years
  • For me, the gym puzzle that drove mw crazy would have to be Volkner's. I spent maybe a good hour trying to figure out, knowing that he was right there in front of me, yet I couldn't get to him. XD

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
  • Sabrina's, Volkner's, and Candice's. Sabrina's I just kept randomly teleporting and eventually found her. Volkner was a bit more tricky and had more thinking at the end. You needed to map out in your head what your next move would be and what would that lead to as well as what you could do that would lead that to Volkner. Candice's was the least hardest but I did spend some time skating around but after trying again in platinum, it wasn't half as hard.

TheLegendaryMew

Pokemon X and Y October 2013!!
    Years
  • LOL...i gotta agree with mondays suck...that gym BLOWS...took me ages to find out what to do i was sat there for like an hour thinking wtf do i do? Then i relaised you had to click on the barrels...fail much? And also yeah Volkner's gym was tough too..trying to figure out which switch did what.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Toughest Gym Puzzle

^Brock's Pewter City Gym, man! OMG; that was SO FREAKING HARD!!! :cer_pissed: :laugh:

Seriously, though:
    1. The Saffron City Gym, run by Sabrina, was probably my hardest. Granted, I used a walkthrough on my first playthrough, I still think I would've resorted to random teleporting before I would have found Sabrina here. I guess getting to see her at the end makes the trouble worth it, though. :D

Toughest Gym Puzzle

2. However, I didn't use a walkthrough for Sapphire or Emerald Versions. So I encountered a lot of difficulty with the Mossdeep City Gym, run by Liza and Tate. Had me sliding all over the place...sheesh! And if that weren't enough to screw me over, they renovate their whole Gym in Emerald Version just to screw with me! I couldn't even use my previous tactics! In retrospect, the second version seems a bit easier than the first one, though...
    Toughest Gym Puzzle
    Toughest Gym Puzzle

^Just look at that convoluted mess in Ruby/Sapphire Versions!

3. Flannery's Lavaridge Town Gym would be the next difficult. Those portals were quite confusing the first time, but I eventually memorized a path. Which becomes freaking useless in Emerald, as she has to renovate her gym, too! :cer_cry: IMO, the second version was considerably harder than the first. What worsens the fact is that she's staring at you right when you enter the Gym, yet you can't just hop over the ledge to mingle with her! Plus all of those unexpected Trainers popping out for no dang reason! Meeting Flannery at the end is worth it, though. :D

Toughest Gym Puzzle
    Toughest Gym Puzzle

Toughest Gym Puzzle
    Toughest Gym Puzzle

I hope the Johto, Sinnoh, and Isshu Gyms aren't as difficult as I expect they will be. We'll see in Platinum, HeartGold, and Gray Versions, though... *gulps*

Last edited:

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
  • Mine was probably Eureteak City Pokemon gym as Sadly it took me a Year to figure that thing out lol

I can't believe I'm reading this. Haha.

Snowpoint City had the most challenging gym for me. I hated going around the gym figuring out how to destroy the snowballs at the required velocity. >=(

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Snowpoint Gym and Mossdeep Gym. I really don't understand the point of the puzzles. It's like the Gym leaders set them up for their own amusement, watching as challengers try to make their way through.

The D/P Hearthome Gym could have been SO much better if the "quiz" consisted of multi-variable calculus and mathematical analysis...

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Insert random filler here.

Last edited:

fujian90

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2010
    Fitness hardest puzzle

The hotel provides chess, cards and mahjong to enjoy yourself after delicious food and beautiful scence.

Years
  • Gen I- LT surge's gym. ( btw my friend pre ordered pokemon ss in japanese so yeah...)
    Gen II- Didn't ever play GSC but in HG it was Claire's gym.
    Gen III- When i was a lot younger i had problems with both Winona's, and Wallace's gyms.
    Gen IV- They were all easy till the last two but i'd say it took me longer in candice's gym

Back