• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Touhoumon: Another World Remix

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
So this was, from the beginning, meant to be a side project. Something that I came back to every now and again. I haven't worked on it in a while solely because I've been doing other things, it's due in no part to lack of interest.

With that in mind, the slow roll lives on. I'm gonna have to take some inventory and see exactly what's happening with what, but once I do I'll push on forward.

Tewi

Хорошо
Years
I didn't found an answer in the whole thread so i'll ask it here, so far, how many Zero trainers have been changed? Only Reimu-Tenshi or every trainer that had zero's? It would be bad if LW are disabled but Zero enemys not.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I didn't found an answer in the whole thread so i'll ask it here, so far, how many Zero trainers have been changed? Only Reimu-Tenshi or every trainer that had zero's? It would be bad if LW are disabled but Zero enemys not.
LWs are still in (situationally). Zero's are being taken out in favor of other Boneka.

...Which is something I'm struggling with right now, to mixed results. Honestly, had that gone more smoothly to begin with, progress probably never would have slowed down.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Oct 15, 2016
Hey there. Nice touhoumon hack (or hack of a hack really) and I wanted to say I think you did a good job fixing another world's flaws and mistakes from before(I only played until the human village the first time, however).

I just want to clarify something though, you had mentioned before that the trip from getting to gensokyo was simplified than before. Now, I had never gotten to that point before so I did some poking around in that town (Muenduka? My mind is fuzzy and I can't remember at all lol) with this huge stone. So I interacted with it, and I arrived at my house. When I went to the left outside in pallet town I was suddenly stopped and put into a cutscene.

Later I noticed that the wild pokemon were pretty much around my level. And brock was an ass, I had no chance against him. I just want to say, was I supposed to do something else before I went back to pallet town? I'm worried I either broke the game or got into a part I wasn't meant to be in. lol sorry for long message.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Later I noticed that the wild pokemon were pretty much around my level. And brock was an ass, I had no chance against him. I just want to say, was I supposed to do something else before I went back to pallet town? I'm worried I either broke the game or got into a part I wasn't meant to be in. lol sorry for long message.
That's actually just because the hack hasn't progressed that far, so everything's fine- though, actually, that you say that prompts the question: what level is your team?

These stats'll really help in balancing Kanto, going forward.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Oct 15, 2016
My team, eh?
I'd give you a link to a screenshot but I can't since I haven't made enough posts yet, but:
Sakuya - 31 , Kanako -31, Sunnymilk - 30, Tokiko , Nitori and Elly are 27
But that's because I was grinding and I caught Kanako, Elly and Nitori there.
When I came to Kanto for the first time? Sakuya and S.Milk were both around 25-26 while Tokiko was about 23.

MasterSonicKnight

Indie Game Developer and 4th Wall Breaker Hedgehog
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Sep 5, 2016
Hello, so I just found this Touhoumon remix you're working right now. I still didn't try it yet, but I read the main changes and some of the comments as well, and I'd like to help a bit with some ideas for the balancement and stuff. Btw, idk if I'll try to test it right now since you lowered the difficulty, and I'm actually enjoing facing lunatic-difficulty bosses (but tbh, I only beat Remilia's CRemilia because Will O'Wisp + sand attack shenanigans haks xD). Atm I just beat Marisa with a full level 25 team and am heading to Muenduka.

So, knowing a bit about Pokemon's competitive play, I'd like to point some changes that I feel that would make the game better in my opinion (from everything that I've seen so far from what's in the site and what I see in the original hack version):

-Change Spore back to inflict sleep or to just confuse and have 100acc, I just really don't see why transform spore in a move that is even worse than Swagger (since Swagger has 90acc instead of current Spore's 80acc). Well, I kinda see why the wish to nerf spore, but this move in original pokemon is only used by some slow and even support-wise pokemons. If anything, I feel it would be fair to make spore work like in the original but only slow grass types to be able to learn it.
-Since you don't want Destroy to act like Fissure and stuff, why don't you make it work like V-Create? It's a strong move, it's a fire type and it makes you weaker everytime you use it.
-Is there a way to make the player choose the difficulty? Because I'm really enjoying the original hack so far, and well, the only reason I didn't download your remix yet is because of some bosses being easier in this version.
-I think it would be nice to make the TMs have infinite uses like in Pokemon Black/White, it's kinda frustrating to not be able to teach a move to 2 or more Bonekas :/ I'm not sure if it's possible to make it work like that tho.
-If you're going to add Mamizou in the game, I would like to see her disguising herself as Miko balls, like Foongus and Amoongus do in recent pokemon games. (Not sure if it can be done tho :/)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 5, 2016
so i played the living heck out of another world and i have to ask - why was the entrance to kanto changed to muenduka? There was nothing wrong with the original method of returning to the Hakurei shrine after progressing through Muenduka. By then Brock and co was a reasonable level. I reached brock with my team in the low 20s with Marisa being 26. Brock's highest level was a 37. This halted all progress and made me replay through the original just to confirm I wasn't going crazy. furthermore this made the cutscene where you return home and speak with your mother very awkward as interracting with the stone teleports you to your bedroom and once you leave your house the cutscene plays which is very artificial and forced.

prior to this everything was fine. i wiped to the Aya rebattle once and I wiped to Marisa once due to a crit. Actually Meiling's team was far too weak as with no extra training and actually running from every wild battle I was around level 18.

If muenduka is kept as the entrance to kanto i would highly urge you rebalance *EVERYTHING* as the levels from brock-on are much higher than you'll naturally hit without absurd amounts of extraneous grinding which I was under the impression this remix was supposed to be avoiding. In fact it adds extra grinding that the original didn't have because of a much better natural progression with a few roadblocks like remilia notwithstanding.

finally marisa's level up learnset desperately needs to be fixed. i'm in the 30s with only THUNDERSHOCK as my STAB. Not ok.

Last edited:

MasterSonicKnight

Indie Game Developer and 4th Wall Breaker Hedgehog
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Sep 5, 2016
so i played the living heck out of another world and i have to ask - why was the entrance to kanto changed to muenduka? There was nothing wrong with the original method of returning to the Hakurei shrine after progressing through Muenduka. By then Brock and co was a reasonable level. I reached brock with my team in the low 20s with Marisa being 26. Brock's highest level was a 37. This halted all progress and made me replay through the original just to confirm I wasn't going crazy. furthermore this made the cutscene where you return home and speak with your mother very awkward as interracting with the stone teleports you to your bedroom and once you leave your house the cutscene plays which is very artificial and forced.

prior to this everything was fine. i wiped to the Aya rebattle once and I wiped to Marisa once due to a crit. Actually Meiling's team was far too weak as with no extra training and actually running from every wild battle I was around level 18.

If muenduka is kept as the entrance to kanto i would highly urge you rebalance *EVERYTHING* as the levels from brock-on are much higher than you'll naturally hit without absurd amounts of extraneous grinding which I was under the impression this remix was supposed to be avoiding. In fact it adds extra grinding that the original didn't have because of a much better natural progression with a few roadblocks like remilia notwithstanding.

finally marisa's level up learnset desperately needs to be fixed. i'm in the 30s with only THUNDERSHOCK as my STAB. Not ok.

I believe that this problem with Brock is actually because of another problem that existed because of Z characters. Reimu originally had a lvl 28 ZReimu, this Boneka has a total of 990 status, when a normal Boneka at it's 3rd stage has 530-550 status, and at this point in game we only have Bonekas at their 2nd stage (Marisa for example only has 410 status). So in order to beat it normally you would need a much stronger team, maybe even around lvl 30+, and this is why Brock has bonekas at lvl 37. The thing is: this remake entirely removes Z bonekas. so you can beat Reimu with a much weaker team than before (I've a lvl 27 team in here and I could easily beat her team in general, but this ZReimu can easily beat all my team by itself).
What I believe that should be done is nerf everything pos-Reimu, as I feel that everything before it is pretty much ok

Years
  • Seen Sep 5, 2016
I believe that this problem with Brock is actually because of another problem that existed because of Z characters. Reimu originally had a lvl 28 ZReimu, this Boneka has a total of 990 status, when a normal Boneka at it's 3rd stage has 530-550 status, and at this point in game we only have Bonekas at their 2nd stage (Marisa for example only has 410 status). So in order to beat it normally you would need a much stronger team, maybe even around lvl 30+, and this is why Brock has bonekas at lvl 37. The thing is: this remake entirely removes Z bonekas. so you can beat Reimu with a much weaker team than before (I've a lvl 27 team in here and I could easily beat her team in general, but this ZReimu can easily beat all my team by itself).
What I believe that should be done is nerf everything pos-Reimu, as I feel that everything before it is pretty much ok

so I re-played through remix from a fresh file out of pure curiosity. what i did was i only caught two other puppets specifically to be able to throw puppets at the prism river sisters as marisa cannot solo all 3 of them if i only do trainer battles and run away from all other wild encounters. i made it Muenduka and save stated. first i returned via muenduka just to make sure it was still acting as a teleport spot. I then returned to Reimu to make sure the original method still worked. I got to her with an EX Marisa and a few trash puppets. I was only able to beat the ZReimu through either grinding or through luck manipulation with crits/statuses. I continued the rest of the playthrough as one normally would.

I am extremely familiar with the stat totals of the puppets as I'm a competitive battler and I've been a fan since the early days.

ZBonekas have not been removed yet. I have on remix progressed all the way to Koga in Kanto and have revisited Gensokyo for the fourth time now. This is where Sanae challenges you outside of Hakurei Shrine. I can confirm every team to this point has their original team. The balancing has only happened up UNTIL Reimu which is where all changes such as re-translations, balancing, etc has not taken place.

One thing I do also want to address is the layla scene. DO NOT CHANGE IT. The implication that she or the prism river sisters have died or that you've caught her specificially and not her puppet is A+ STORYTELLING. darker themes like this are AWESOME. Rewriting this portion of it because it is somehow "problematic" is tumblrina safespaceism at its finest and not something I can support at all. +1 for cleaning up the text and presenting the scene better but do not censor or otherwise alter the mood and underlying theme. when i originally played the game 5 years ago this was a huge wham moment and further cemented my appreciation for gensokyo scenario/another world.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Dec 19, 2021
I have a suggestion on how to make the game better (Even if its just a small one, lol). Maybe you could adjust STRan/STenshi's defensive stats so they can be more usable? I know they're joke characters (well, probably) but it would be sort of nice to be able to use them, haha. Especially STRan, since she doesn't have a Last Word form.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Please help! I can't save game!
I can not save in the Remix version, even though I have no problem saving in the original Another World.
Whenever I tried to save, the screen turn blue and have a white message box that say: "Save failed. Checking the backup memory... Please wait. "Time required: about 1 minute"". And the screen keep staying like that forever.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
One thing I do also want to address is the layla scene. DO NOT CHANGE IT. The implication that she or the prism river sisters have died or that you've caught her specificially and not her puppet is A+ STORYTELLING. darker themes like this are AWESOME. Rewriting this portion of it because it is somehow "problematic" is tumblrina safespaceism at its finest and not something I can support at all. +1 for cleaning up the text and presenting the scene better but do not censor or otherwise alter the mood and underlying theme. when i originally played the game 5 years ago this was a huge wham moment and further cemented my appreciation for gensokyo scenario/another world.
Hm...I'll think about it. I understand where you're coming from. I don't know if I'd really call it solid storytelling exactly. My problem with the whole thing is that there isn't really all that much that's explained neither through text nor through context. Now, if this were to say, give a bit more clarity to what boneka/puppets are in the context of the characters they were based off of and give a darker, more interesting subtext to their creation, then I'd agree. I think that that would be a very interesting way to tell a story by showing but not telling.

But the problem is, the Layla scene doesn't really make sense. Reason being, the game actually tells you enough on its own merely through the typing of the sisters and the setting itself, and this is strengthened by the fact that Merlin, Lunasa, and Lyrica are all catchable, complete with dex entries that straight up tell you that they're a poltergeist. And there isn't really much to say that you are fighting a puppet of Layla- the implication being that you aren't and that you're fighting her ghost, obviously. I actually don't mind that, since that type of off, "what were the developers thinking" idea that unnerves the player the more they think about it really melds with this game. The problem, however, comes with the fact that she can be caught. That and, in regards to the original Prismriver Sisters, there's no actual implication that they're dead, largely because, officially, the three sisters went their separate ways prior to Layla creating the Prismriver Ensemble, but the sisters died after the fact.

If anything I'd say it works more as a tribute or a sacrifice to Layla, and it's a bittersweet encounter rather than a dark one. Considering that the area is barred off from entry by a boulder, it's not all too unlikely that the poltergeist sisters just didn't want anyone disrupting their master's eternal rest and, as such, used that room- whatever it used to be (probably not a bedroom, considering it was right next to their "auditorium")- as a gravesite for her. You disturb that and she attacks you. That I'm fine with- hell, even if that's not what Sanae had in mind, what I said right there is a fine enough narrative on its own that I'd be okay to leave it alone if it were just that.

But you can catch her. Which doesn't really make sense in the context of...anything. Even if you wanted to make the argument that maybe have the souls of the characters that they're based off of in them or something like that, there are simply too many of each to have something like this really sell that as a narrative twist. And what's more, that the spirit itself attacks you kind of takes away from Layla's place in the Prismriver's story at all simply because it means that she is, indeed, a ghost, and by dying the Ensemble hasn't really lost her...I daresay nothing's changed, probably. So I can't say it's exactly the brilliant writing that you say it is, and while I don't want to change what Aichiya has in place completely I do want to make it consistent with the rest of the game.

DTD

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 15, 2018
I'm very curios to ask, how did you manage to edit the original rom in the very first place? I tried to open the rom with various tools from PGA, Gen III suite, Advance sprite,.. but none works -.- anyways, nice idea. I had a lot of fun playing this

Tofutheenderman

Uncommon User
Years
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
Im surprised that nobody has adressed the audiot glitch that STILL exist in this game, the tile glitch before selecting your 2nd(?) starter at the beginning of the game and the text being too bright pink on some people.

Back