• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Trading

BlitŻ1

guahh my dog is so cute
Years
  • Well, if you have the game, try it yourself. I'm sure nobody here has ever bought a hacked game in a cartridge, knowing that its free and downloadable.

SharpPoint

Suicune used Surf!
    Years
  • Well, if you have the game, try it yourself. I'm sure nobody here has ever bought a hacked game in a cartridge, knowing that its free and downloadable.

Exactly. Why buy the game if it's free? That's like paying to use a free water fountain.

Well anyways, I haven't tried it, but I'm thinking it'll work. I mean, unless the Pokemon's internal code was altered, ShinyGold should work with FireRed, for example.

If I were you, I wouldn't buy the game, but if you must, try trading on an emulator first. If all goes well, then go right ahead.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    Depends on the game. I know for a fact Shiny Gold works, as I have an EZ Flash that I put Shiny Gold on to play, and the Wireless Union Room works, but whether you can trade s different, but I reckon you can.

Great Mazinger

nope.avi
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2013
    While I imagine the first step the game takes is to check the ROM header of the connected games in question, I dunno if the game makes any more serious internal checks between the two games to make sure very strange things don't happen.

If it didn't, and a trade between a clean ROM to a hacked game could take place, I'd guess it would be relatively smooth unless the data relating to the Pokemon in question has changed. This is all conjecture though, although i suppose you can test what happens with an emulator containing multilayer support such as VBA Link.

Years
    • Age 29
    • USA
    • Seen May 9, 2010
    Any Pokemon that exist in a non-hacked cartridge can be traded by a hacked cartridge;
    as long as the stats etc. haven't been changed.
    Fakemon, on the other hand, can not be traded (unless you are trading between two of the same hacked cart).

SharpPoint

Suicune used Surf!
    Years
  • Any Pokemon that exist in a non-hacked cartridge can be traded by a hacked cartridge;
    as long as the stats etc. haven't been changed.
    Fakemon, on the other hand, can not be traded (unless you are trading between two of the same hacked cart).

I'm not too sure about that one. I mean sometimes the only difference between a Fakemon and a Pokemon is a sprite change. I doubt the game checks if the sprite has been altered.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • it depends on the hack if you trade a fakemon with one of the ? slots in firered you willl get a ? if you trade a pigey from firered to a hack and they replaced pigey with palkiea then you would get a palkie in the hacked game not a pigey.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • as long as the stats etc. haven't been changed.

Wrong and wrong.

Stats can be changed by cheat codes and stuff, yet you can still trade hacked Pokemon. You'll just end up with a really shifty Pokemon.

Fakemon are just Pokemon with their sprites, names, moves, stats, etc. changed. What's stopping you from trading it? It'll just turn into whatever was replaced.

Years
    • Age 29
    • USA
    • Seen May 9, 2010
    Lol, apparently I R incorrect! :P
    What I was trying to say was that a Fakemon can't be traded to a non-hacked cart and still be the same fakemon.

BlitŻ1

guahh my dog is so cute
    Years
  • Wrong and wrong.

Stats can be changed by cheat codes and stuff, yet you can still trade hacked Pokemon. You'll just end up with a really shifty Pokemon.

Fakemon are just Pokemon with their sprites, names, moves, stats, etc. changed. What's stopping you from trading it? It'll just turn into whatever was replaced.

That's true, I think all the game does is something similar top the give take pokemon routine, in that it doesn't keep the pokemon, just stores its variables in the rom, then send it to the other game, using the same thing as the give pokemon part of the take/give pokemon routine.

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
  • Actually, it's like playing a Ruby with a Quartz save file.
    Your Pokemon will actually be nicknamed as the Pokemon it was before.
    Pokemon: Wurmple
    Nickname: Larvly

Back