• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Tradition before the 1st Gym.

Mimikyu402

Flareon Master
Years
  • I usually train 2 pokes before the first gym but no grinding I just beat all trainers I can find and then enter the gym the average lv for me is around 14- 16 then, I dont like to use a full part of pokes so I usually train around 3-4 through the game with 2 slots for the hm slaves at the bottom

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I overlevel. I had two Pokemon around Lv. 22 when I faced Roark in Platinum. I started with Piplup so all that extra leveling wasn't even needed. Oh well, I'm currently 49-50 and still leveling up for Byron XD

mStar

The Darkness Within
    Years
  • Mine is always on level 24/26. Thats so I can trian more, and be tougher for the next gym

Kayin

Local Champion
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Jun 8, 2009
    Level 10.
    Call me weird, but my Pokemon are always way behind in levels.
    They're usually lower levelled than wild Pokemon.
    IN fact, all of my pokemon except for 1 were below level 50 when I beat the Elite 4. o.O
    That's not surprising. With Pearl my pokemon were all level 40 when I entered to fight the Elite 4 and Cynthia. Of course, two of them were Palkia and Groudon. Those two were what I mostly used againist Cynthia.

As for the first gym, I don't really have a certian level that I fight them at. I just be sure that I fought all of the trainers before I fight the first gym leader.

CrazyCubone

isn't very crazy.
    Years
  • For me, it depends on the gym leader's type and my own types. If I have the advantage, I'd normally go just below their level.

Years
  • I will always evolve my pokemon, which I always start with a Starly and a Shinx (Along with my starter of course) before going to the first gym. So usually starting in the twenties I will hit the gym.

PHC

Years
  • I dont realy train them, just from fighthing trainers i get to levels 14~16
    thats enough if you have a water or leaf type [first gym is always rock type]

solaris knight

Phantom ESP'er
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2013
    I always catch a flying type and evolve my starter. I also usually have 3 to 4 pokemon trained, but thats more of a habit, since I usually get by with only the first or second.

Nitrous Oxide

Korporate Amerika
    Years
  • I never train, I just go along in the game, so maybe around level 14 for the first gym. Beat the E4 with my highest leveled Pokemon (Garchomp) at level 53, my Porygon-Z at level 52, three others at level 49, and my Staraptor at level 44. :paranoid:

Revives are your friends.

ISa56

-Soul Silver? HECK YES!
    Years
  • Meh. Normally I'll use my starter (Fire) and level it to 25.

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2016
    I usually train them to when my starter is already evolved or a few levels from evolving.Then I have a back-up leveled to 10 or 12 just in case ^.~

mystery913

some guy
    Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2009
    when i started platinum i had my turtwig and caught another pokemon just to get through the first rival battle. by the time i get to roark my turtwig is on lvl. 15... i think... its pretty easy in the beginning

TFN

Blastiose fan XD
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2011
    I usually Train my starter to lvl 16+ (Its always piplup) and dont train any others because I always want a different team until I find some I'm Happy with

Milke

Chill it an' spill it.
    Years
  • I usually evolve my starter before entering if it has a type disadvantage, and then beat the gym with only him, but if not, then I try to beat the gym with some other pokemon and use my starter to help it out.

Back