• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[PKMN FULL] TRAINERS (IC)

Years
  • Gwen Alanis
    May 26th, Sunday, Morning

Spoiler:

Returning Pix and Bead out, Marshall and Jess are sent onto the field. Jess hisses to intimidate her foes, but they don't even as much as wince.

Without notice, both of the Masked Man's Pokémon rush up on all fours to Marshall and Jess, Morgrem heading for the Wooper, and Houndoom's flaming jaw targeting Jess. Marshall prepares a Water Gun, but Morgrem suddenly significantly outspeeds his ally, getting close to Marshall, and slapping him straight in the face to make him flinch. Houndoom catches up, and pounces at Jess, but misses as the Ekans side-steps the Fire Fang and coils around Morgrem.

"Damnit! Houndoom, focus on that puny Wooper instead! I don't want you potentially damaging Morgrem!"

As Morgrem struggles to escape Jess' tight grip and Poison Sting barrage, Houndoom turns his head towards Marshall, only to be greeted with a blast of pressurized water to the face. Through his sputtering, he manages to unleash a loud snarl that's accompanied by sound waves that are visible with the dark energy they're surrounded in, echoing through the room and making every other Pokémon present shiver a little. Marshall is an exception to this, but his Water Gun grows noticeably weaker.

"Snarl!? Argh!!!" Gwen groans. "Use Rain Dance to get your water-type attacks up again!"

Marshall hops up and down, and the melted ice on the floor evaporates, quickly forming a cloud far above their heads that releases a weak drizzle. Houndoom looks slightly bothered by the rain, and sticks his head up, trying to ignore the pain from the Wooper's strengthened Water Gun, and spits out a glowing ball of light into the recently formed clouds, instantly destroying them. In the place of the rain, a harsh light beats down, and is brighter than Pix's own Drought ability.

Marshall's pressurized water blast devolves into little more than a hit from a plastic squirt gun, and Gwen has him launch a Mud Shot to arc onto the fire-type. While clearly effective, he shimmies off the excess mud, and growls at the Wooper, lighting his jaw on fire, and chomps into Marshall's soft head. Houndoom carries him in his mouth, rapidly shaking his head left and right.

"Marshall, Water Gun into his throat!"

With his face buried in Houndoom's flaming jaw, Marshall spits pressurized water down his throat as his trainer commands. Even though his attacks are less strong than usual, a stream of water directly flowing through his throat causes Houndoom to hack up Marshall, who thuds into the floor, but quickly stands back up as if nothing happened.

"Quick, Rain Dance while he's recovering!"

Marshall tries to create rain again, but the light of the "sun" is too bright, and dissolves any clouds before they can even form.

It doesn't take long for Houndoom to clear his throat of the uninvited liquids that nearly drowned him. He again tilts his head back, and a bright orb charges up in his mouth, the rays of the weather causing it to expand quickly- Solar Beam. One hit of this, and Marshall is down for good.

As all this happens, Gwen also keeps an eye on Jess. After Houndoom's Snarl, her repeated Poison Sting weakens, and is no longer enough to weigh Morgrem down. Morgrem snaps his neck forward and bites Jess' neck, causing her to loudly hiss and loosen her grip. With this ripe opportunity, the fairy-type smirks and makes rapid movements to further loosen Jess that also pain her. He then hops out from her coiled body, but is hit with a poisonous blob that Jess hacks up, knocking him down flat on his face.

Absorbing the sight of her fallen foe, Jess cackles, but has her celebration cut short when the Morgrem she thought she defeated quickly crawls forward to jab her neck with his sharp hair tip. While she hisses in agony, Morgrem releases weak static through his hair spike, and while not strong enough to deal any real damage, Jess' body stiffness as she becomes paralyzed. Morgrem retracts his spike and does a backflip into the air, landing a few feet back. He rushes forward on his hands and feet with a sadistic look on his face- Likely preparing a Play Rough, a very powerful attack.

With Morgrem about to strike with Play Rough on Jess, and Marshall about to be blasted with a Solar Beam, all hope seems lost. The Masked Man's Pokémon were tough, and without any more type advantages, Gwen should be completely and utterly screwed. But even with all odds stacked against her, she refuses to give up. She takes a deep breath, tightens her fists, and exhales, releasing her stress.

"Now."

Morgrem pounces towards Jess and Houndoom's Solar Beam launches from his jaw, both incoming attacks inching closer to take down her Pokémon. Right when everything looks like it'll go wrong, Jess and Marshal suddenly start glowing white in unison, and they're bodies are consumed by the blinding light.

Spoiler:

"Wh-WHAT!?!?!?"

Houndoom's Solar Beam is absorbed by Marshall's body, and Morgrem's melee attacks do absolutely nothing against Jess. Both Pokémon start growing in size, and see significant changes to some specific areas.

"ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME!?!?" The Masked Man panics as he views the light from his opponent's Pokémon fade away. Jess predictably is much longer than previously, and under her head is a wide hood that bares a face-like pattern. Marshall also grew taller, but unlike Jess, has also grown wider as well, and the antennas from the side of his head are no more, but in their place are two flimsy arms attached to his body. Despite his physical changes, Marshall's expression is as blank as ever.

"Nope! I'm one-hundred percent serious!" What was that? Gwen briefly scolds herself on her comeback ability. "Marshall and Jess have evolved into Quagsire and Arbok!! Cool, huh?" A cocky grin flashes on her face as she prepares to give the commands for her newly evolved Pokémon. "Marshall, Mud Shot! Jess, Poison Sting!"

Marshall effortlessly spits a large blob of mud that bursts on Houndoom, covering his entire body with mud and causing him to recoil in pain. Even for a Quagsire, this looks too strong to just be an ordinary Mud Shot.

Jess meanwhile, doesn't use Poison Sting, and instead lunges the tip of her tail, which now glows purple, forward, and jabs it directly into Morgrem's chest. "Hell yeah! You guys learned new moves!!"

Morgrem and Houndoom lunge forward, but are easily foiled again. Jess chomps down on Morgrem's head and uses Poison Jab to his gut while trapped, and Marshall simply blasts another Mud Bomb onto Houndoom. The powerful super effective attacks are strong enough to knock them both unconscious.

"I win this time!!" Gwen boasts at the trembling young man who breathes heavily, clearly panicked. "Now get outta here, will ya? I'm trying to get a Technical Machine!"

Morgrem Guy tries desperately to grin menacingly again, but every attempt is less convincing than the last. "Y-y-you brat, stop being so full of yourself for once!! I still have one last Pokémon left! There's no way you can handle this!!!"

Spoiler:

After a shaky throw of a Pokeball, a large white light is released into the small room, forming into a vaguely egg-shaped creature with stubby arms and legs that's covered in spikes. The Pokemon angiely focuses on Gwen, not with any malice, but rather with a natural predatory instinct. The Pokémon rears his head back, releasing a booming roar that echoes throughout.

"T-Tyranitar…" While this isn't something Gwen would normally be afraid of, being under the control of someone with as much of a vendetta as the Masked Man drives fear into her heart. "Th-there's no way you can defeat us now that my Pokémon are evolved! Marshall, Mud Bomb! Jess, Wrap!"

Jess slithers forward while Marshall launches a ground-type projectile at the beast. Tyranitar shudders as Mud Bomb bursts against his rocky skin, and turns around, dragging his long tail against the floor. The forceful sweep of his tail hits both Pokémon, knocking the Quagsire on his back, and smacking the Arbok away like a pest.

"Come on you two! Get up!" Marshall and Jess try to get back up, but the pain from the attack overwhelms them, making it difficult. Gwen, knowing full well these two are her only Pokémon who can stand up to such a creature, rushes them both to no avail.

"Hyper Beam!"

As Tyranitar rears his head back again to charge up the destructive blast, Gwen's beckoning only speeds up. She tries clapping her hands, snapping her fingers, but they can't continue right now. Recognizing the futility of her situation, she gives up, sealing her eyes shut and shielding her face with her arms. Morgrem Guy's thirst for revenge fuels him so much, she's unsure if he'll stop at her Pokémon and prepares for the absolute worst. With her vision blocked and her body intensely shivering, her ears absorb the finishing words of her foe.

"Of course, this little brat is rolling over like a coward! Now Tyranitar, finish this all o- What the hell!?!? Who are you!?!?"

Huh. That's very unexpected.

Curious, Gwen lowers her arms and peaks an eye open. The first thing she sees is a foreign light source seeping from behind Tyranitar, but more interesting is that something is clearly attacking him from the back. Tyranitar roars in agony before collapsing on his front, revealing a gruff man holding a flashlight standing alongside a Malmar that stood behind the rock-type Pokémon.

"I'm just some guy. I'm not important, but you're disturbing the wildlife here, so get out." The man bluntly states.

"Wh-why should I, you bastard!? M-my Tyranitar can get back up again!"

The man shakes his head. "I doubt it. He's taken a lot, and my Malmar's Superpower can pack a punch. I don't wanna repeat myself; Leave."

Morgrem Guy slowly backs away, returning his massive Pokémon to his ball. "Y-y-you haven't seen the last of me!" is what he yells before hightailing it out of the room and down the dark hallway. With him gone, the stocky man turns his attention to Gwen, who stares at him like a Deerling in headlights. She takes in his short black hair, five o'clock shadow, and his jumpsuit he wears over his body, too nervous to say anything.

"Kid, y'hear for Dr. Quartz's machines?" He asks, much to Gwen's surprise. "Y-yeah… How-"

"I'm very familiar with this place." He remarks. "I'd ask you to come along, but it'd probably be weird for an old guy like me to have some strange teenager follow me around. Least I can do is ask your name. What is it?"

"G-Gwen."

"I see." He nods and scratches his prickly chin. "Name's Ray, and this Malmar here is a good friend of mine. And now that we know each other, let's go. I'll show you where Quartz's machines are." Without even as much as waiting for her to catch up, Ray turns around and heads into the darkness. Gwen, realizing her situation, quickly returns Jess and Marshall and rushes near Ray for the light source.

Gwen's team
    037.png
    610.png
    025.png
    024.png
    200.png
    195.png

Last edited:

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years
  • art by Aquacorde
    Arianne Chandler
    Route 12
    Saturday, May 25th, 3:30 p.m.

Wrong kind of battle

Right, Casey gave her some berries before she walked off. Might as well munch on some of them before continuing her journey towards that research facility. The roof of the house she had just ran out of still provided some basic protection and that made it all easier.

Away from any window, she leaned on the wall of the small house and called out some of her Pokémon. Eric would surely appreciate some berries and… Alice as well. Thinking about it, even Arianne herself was getting hungry… and berries, which were arguably not so easy to get back in Cinnabar, now sound like a very enticing snack. Time to open up her backpack, pull out some of Casey's berries, and relax for at least a few minutes.

Now that she wasn't right under it, the sound of the rain falling close by was calming, almost. Soon, though, the munching sounds coming from her Pokémon joined in. They all seemed to enjoy the berries - with Alice puffing her cheeks as she tried to eat faster, while Eric was swallowing whole berries without issue.

Soon enough, though, came some visitors. A cry from above announced their presence - and soon, a group of a few Wingulls was flying around the house, occasionally resting on the ground for a bit near Arianne. They appeared to be friendly at first, and watched the girl and her Pokémon enjoy the berries for a couple minutes - nothing out of the ordinary for her.

Except these aren't your typical Cinnabar Wingulls.

One of the Wingulls walks closer and closer, eventually getting right in front of Alice. It tries to snatch the berry away from her and, needless to say, the two Pokémon start bickering. The first Thundershock fired should be the sign to pack things up and leave, but for some reason Arianne doesn't do that.

"So you wanna fight? Let's give them what they want, Alice!" The black haired girl nods, as Alice runs forward enthusiastically and goes for Play Nice. Some of the Wingulls get distracted, others don't fall for it and hit back with Water Gun - they definitely don't lack the courage. Or the strength… Alice is already struggling.

A Thundershock hits the target, the Wingull letting out a loud cry of pain. Usually that scares them away, but not this time, because it collects itself right away and lunges at Alice again. Definitely intimidated by the Water-types, Pichu fights back by using more and more Thundershocks…

They don't hit though. Alice's attacks are getting dodged, or are totally random, and now all the Wingull are circling above her. It appears like she is not in control, and yet… she looked so confident before, as if she was born for this. Those feelings definitely hit the girl close to home as she watches her Pokémon's struggles.

When one of the Wingulls comes down again, with blistering speed, Eric decides to step in. Protect blocks the Quick Attack just in time, as Pichu lifts up her eyes only to see a large, green energy shield above her. From behind it, Eric charges up a Water Pulse slowly but steadily. And then, lets it go as the shield dissipates. The Wingull is hit and flaps its wings erratically to try and stay airborne.

"I see! Hit it now, Alice!" Arianne yells, but Pichu seems too eager to fight again. She misses again, this time on an easy target. "Uh… it's ok, try again!"

The result is the same, though. It's Eric who hits the Wingull again with another Water Pulse. He looks at Alice with worried eyes, which soon start glowing pink… this time to heal up his Pokémon friend. Definitely, the move is much stronger when used on a Pokémon than on a trainer!

Alice hits the target just two more times, as Eric shields her with a combination of Rapid Spin and Water Gun. But she's too into it to really stop and take some time to aim, apparently, and that's really not desirable. Arianne takes some time to look at her, the way she runs around, crouches and gets up again, fires off those jolts of electricity, or hides behind Eric when things get more difficult. And keeps thinking about Rock Tunnel, about Cerulean, about that darn closed Pokéball, about Ralph and her pet Rattata.

She hardly notices the two new Pokémon that have arrived as reinforcements, though… two Pelippers. One of them dispels Eric's Water Gun without any effort by launching a powerful Hurricane. It makes the girl shiver as the hair gets in her face, and it all feels so surreal to see a Pelipper actually do that…

As Arianne packs all her berries and tries to reach for some more of her Pokéballs, she can't help but notice how Alice is looking at Pelipper with fiery eyes. Alice. It's kinda pathetic, and hilarious, but also quite worrying at the same time, and once again, she's quite… moved, so to speak, by what's unfolding in front of her. It's a weird, subtly unnerving feeling.

"It's not safe anymore! Alice!" Arianne finally recalls her Pokémon, still quite phazed. "Into the forest!"

The damage is done though. The Pelippers keep lunging at her and Eric, one trying to land more Hurricanes and Water Pulses, the other helping it out with moves such as Mist and Tailwind. Protect can only go so far, and eventually Eric gets overwhelmed as well - luckily, there's another Pokémon who knows that move.

Mulan is out, right in Arianne's arms, giving her a second shield at the cost of some added weight. Pineco seems happy this way, actually - she knows that at this point, her trainer's goal is to escape, not fight, and even then, she's figured she wouldn't fare too well against a Hurricane-happy Pelipper.

The forest is nearly as bad for Arianne as it is for the Wingulls and Pelippers, though. The wet roots and muddy terrain make it way too easy to slip, and even Eric has some trouble following his trainer around. Some of the most courageous, nimble Wingulls still zoom around the trees in search of Arianne's berries as the older Pelipper uses Hurricane once again, likely as a warning, or demonstration of power.

As the girl stumbles and the Wingulls get close, Mulan knows exactly what to do. Arianne watches, her heart racing, as that attempt at a practice battle ends in the most intense way. All she has to do now is recall her fainted Pokémon, and try to get back onto the beaten path.

TEAM:
    wartortle.png
    Eric, lv. 24 •
    pineco.png
    Mulan, lv. 12
    pichu.png
    Alice, lv. 6 •
    bagon.png
    Mizar, lv. 15
    morelull.png
    Lulu, lv. 21 •
    honedge.png
    Honedge, lv. 16

Last edited:
    Years
  • Vera Hill
    Chapter 6 - Nip and Tuck
    Route 12; Saturday, May 26th

"Hey! What are you doin' over there?" The voice surprises Vera, and she quickly turns to look for the source, making herself dizzy and almost stumbling.

"Whoa, hold on, girl, I didn't mean to startle you!" A bearded man in overalls and a raincoat, carrying a fishing pole and a tackle box, stops a few steps away from Vera. Ebony puts himself between her and the man, his eyes glowing an ominous red.

"Who are you? What do you want?" Vera snaps, looking around the area. Where did he come from? And why is it so dark? ...oh right. It's night time...

The man lifts his box, as if that explained anything. "My name's Turnip, I live right down the road a ways. I was just doin' some fishin' 'fore it got too dark, saw you lookin' all lost and confused by the side of the road. I thought to myself, 'Turnip,' I said, 'There's a young lady who might need some help.' So I called out to you, and here we stand."

Vera stares at the man, trying to process everything he just said. "...your name is Turnip?"

He grins, adjusting his pole on his shoulder. "Sure is! Me an' my partner Tucker got a little shack right down the road, that's where I'm headed now. I like to go fishin' when it rains, you're more likely to find Magikarp that way, instead o' Goldeen or Wooper or the like. You still fish 'em up sometimes, but not as often, and I like hookin' Magikarp. They're feisty, but harmless, and a Goldeen will straight up stab you with their horn, which ain't exactly pleasant, I tell you what."

Vera feels another headache coming on, and Ebony nuzzles up against her in concern. "I just... want to get to town. I'm tired of the rain, and of walking, and just want to go to bed!"

"Well, shoot, why didn't you say so? Closest town is Lavender, but that's back the way you came. Matter o' fact, I work in Lavender. I'm a mechanic by trade, fixin' up engines and appliances and whatnot, and I make the walk every mornin' and every afternoon, except on Sundays, 'cuz that's when I go to church. Takes 'bout a few minutes to get there and back, but it's late enough now that you'd be walkin' in the dark. That's different from fishin' in the dark, that's a song, by the way, so I'd recommend findin' a place to stay for the night."

Vera stares at Turnip. Despite the rain, the walking, and the pain in her head, this man was by far the most annoying part of her day. She wishes there was a way to express her frustrations, but he'd need to stop talking long enough for her to day something, and she doubts that will happen.

"Hey! I just had an idea! Why don't you come with me, stay the night? We got an extra room you can use, and it'll be shorter than headin' all the way back to Lavender! You don't wanna stay out in this rain too long, you'll catch a cold! I prefer catchin' fish, myself. You ever gone fishin' before?"

"I... no, uh... I think that-" A gust of wind blows the rain into her face, cutting her off before she can turn down his offer. Annoying as he is, he makes a good point, she doesn't want to stay out here any longer. "...sounds great! Thank you, a room sounds wonderful."

"Well, alright! Glad to be of service. Follow me." He heads back down the road, away from Lavender and Quartz's lab, Vera following at his side. "This rain'll get worse 'fore it gets better. Most Pokémon look for cover, so you wanna use a spoon bait if there's a lot of vegetation, but I like the spinner bait, spinner bait's real nice if there's clear water, get you a wiggler, the plastic ones look real life-like..."

Vera tunes him out for the rest of the walk, holding Ebony close. After a short walk, he leads her to a cozy little house nestled up against the forest. It has a white picket fence, a trailer in the back, and two refrigerators in the front yard. Turnip sets his box and pole down by the door, taking his boots off when he's on the covered porch. "We don't wanna track any mud inside, so you can leave your boots and your poncho out here, if you'd kindly."

Vera does as he asks, shivering slightly from the breeze. She hurriedly follows him inside, finding herself in a warm little cabin. One large room makes up the majority of the house, a kitchen area with sink, stove and a table at one end and living room with a sofa, chair, and TV at the other. Four doors lead to other rooms. "Hey, Tuck! I'm back! Hope you don't mind, but I invited a friend over!"

Another man, presumably Turnip's partner Tucker, is making food in the kitchen. He looks a few years younger than Turnip, with stubble and a soul patch instead of a beard, long hair under a baseball cap, and a simple tank top and jeans. He looks over at Vera, somewhat confused. "A friend? I don't recognize her, she one of your fishin' buddies?"

"Nah, found 'er by the road, standing all alone in the rain. She said she's headed for town, needed a place to stay the night."

Tucker frowns as Turnip joins him in the kitchen. "I wish you'd called ahead, I woulda cleared off the guest bed. Guess she can use the trailer..." He raises his voice to address Vera, waving politely. "Hi there! I'm Tucker, and you already met my boy Turnip."

Vera lingers by the door, already doubting her decision. "Hello, I'm Vera. I'm just passing through, with my six Pokémon, and your, uh, partner was kind enough to offer me a room for the night."

Tucker whistles, impressed. "Six, huh? That's a lot of Pokémon. I don't even have one. You must be a good Trainer."

"Oh. Yes, yes I am. Thank you." She likes Tucker, he's very polite. "And thank you for letting me stay."

"Well, the guest room is kinda full right now, but you can have the trailer for the night. It's got water and power, and a heater if you get cold. I'm just making supper, it'll be ready in a few. Make yourself comfortable."

The two men get to work cooking, so Vera takes a seat in the easy chair. She'd love to help them cook, and it smells great, but she'll probably just get in the way in such a small kitchen. She returns Ebony to his ball, calling out Sapphire instead. The Dark type cat is soft and warm in her lap, and the chair is surprisingly plush, so she soon dozes off.

The next thing she knows, Sapphire baps her in the face, waking her up. She looks around in a daze, having forgotten where she is. Quiet conversation comes from the kitchen as the two men are cleaning dishes.

"Oh, shit. I fell asleep..." Vera pushes herself out of the chair, Sapphire at her heels. She makes her way to the table, seeing a plate waiting for her. A piece of protein, lightly seasoned with pepper and lemon, grilled zucchini and carrots, and some potato wedges. It smells lovely, and is still warm.

Tucker glances back at her as he washes a plate. "Hey there, blondie. We thought it'd be rude to wake you, so we let you sleep."

"Blondie? Don't call me that." Vera is somewhat offended at the label. She'd told them her name, after all.

"She's got a point, Tuck." Turnip dries the dishes as Tucker washes. "Blonde is more of a yellow color, where her hair is more white. She's one of them 'shironettes', so you'd be better off calling her Shiro or Whitey."

"Or," Vera grits her teeth in annoyance, "you could call me Vera. Which is my name."

The men share a glance before going back to their shared task. "I apologize. I hope supper is to your liking."

Vera ignores them for now, focusing instead on her food. The vegetables are grilled to perfection, and the potatoes are nicely seasoned. Tucker could be a chef if he wanted, and Vera would gladly pay for this meal. Except for the protein. It's seasoned well, but that can't hide that it's the greasiest, flakiest, and worst tasting thing she's ever tried. She can't even identify what it's supposed to be, but it's just awful.

As she turns to her hosts to complain, she catches the tail end of their conversation.

"...why you insist on Magikarp all the time. There's not a lot of meat on them." Tucker is saying.

"Yeah, but what's there is awful tasty!" Turnip enthusiastically replies.

What.

Vera looks at her plate, considering the odd substance, a bite of which is still in her mouth.

Oh.

Oh, no...

Wordlessly, she pushes the meat to the floor, where Sapphire happily gobbles it up. She quietly spits the bit in her mouth into a napkin, trying not to retch. She can still feel the grease in her mouth, and quickly tries to wash down the taste with potato.

"Good, right?" Turnip comes over, noticing her empty plate. "There's a bit more keepin' warm on the grill, if you're still hungry." He gestures toward the grill, and the foil wrapped bundles on it.

"No!" Vera quickly stands, to the surprise of the two men. "Uh, I mean, no thank you. I'm good. I think I'll just go to the trailer, get some sleep! Thank you for your hospitality!"

She grabs Sapphire, who does not want to go outside, so she gets returned to her Ball. Vera quickly slips her boots and poncho back on, following the stone path to the trailer and locking the door behind her.

The trailer is small, but it has a microwave, sink, and coffee pot in a little kitchenette. A sliding door leads to a bathroom with a shower, and a small bedroom beyond that. It's slightly chilly, but there's a small space heater in the bathroom, which she flips on before stripping off her wet clothes. She has the presence of mind to hang them to dry, then grabs her toiletries bag from her pack and steps into a warm shower, in particular bringing her toothbrush with her.

She stays in the shower until the water goes cold, then stays in until she can't bear it anymore. She turns off the water, shivering and telling herself it's from the cold. She knows she's being ridiculous, and dries herself off by the heater.

She lets her Pokémon out, and they spread out throughout the little trailer. Sapphire jumps straight onto the bed, while Ebony and Squitch are content to float about the kitchenette. Trixie and Goblin argue over the benches in the kitchenette, but Bonnie steps in to keep them in line, and they each take a side. Bonnie herself sits in the bathroom by the heater, her back to the glass door of the shower.

Vera smiles at her team, but can't shake the feeling that something is missing. She puts on her pajamas, grabbing any shirt from her bag to sleep in. She pauses when she pulls out the blue and pink Rock Tunnel t-shirt. She shakes her head, pulling the shirt on and climbing into bed.

She resolves to call Palm in the morning, to check on Iggy. That's probably what's missing. She's just thinking about her fri- Pokémon. She's thinking of her Pokémon. She turns the light out and tries to sleep, eventually doing so.

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years
  • art by Aquacorde
    Arianne Chandler
    Route 12, Dead Factories
    Saturday, May 25th, late afternoon

Yes, I'll do it!

Arianne's permanence in the Research Laboratory didn't last long, but at least she was able to heal up her Pokémon and munch on some food! And most importantly, she apparently was able to secure a room for the night thanks to the head scientist's help.

Now she was once again in the woods though, under the rain, for no reason other than helping said professor and retrieving a radio device that she left in the middle of nowhere! She was regretting her answer already, that seemingly instinctive "Yes, I'll do it!" that came out of her mouth unceremoniously, even before Quartz talked about the reward she had in store for the younger girl… a Technical Machine.

The PokéGear, where the approximate location of the Professor's device was now visible, took Arianne further and further into the forest behind the lab. The colors started to fade already, but the shapes were still visible to the girl's eye. Not all of those trunks were actual trees… some were made of rubble, concrete pillars, rusting steel and ivy.

Still a long way to go.

More and more Pokémon appeared along the way, looking suspiciously at Arianne as she made her way through the trees - most of them didn't give her much thought or just ran away from her though. Things were not going so badly up until that point, the only issue was how far the objective of that quest still was… and probably rain, but by now Arianne was used to it.

More and more overgrown buildings appeared as well, as the girl walked south. The dead factories, as Quartz called them, were in a slightly better state in that area… even though calling them that was an euphemism for sure. Some of the concrete foundations were still resurfacing, and some buildings even had multiple floors still standing, with some doors and windows but also many plants still growing inside them.

According to the map, the device that Arianne was assigned was most likely to be inside one of these structures. Her first step into the circle was quickly followed by her first step inside the old factory, which was made easy by the huge gap in the wall and half-crumbled ceiling. Some crackles of electricity and Pokémon cries were starting to echo through the area as the girl scanned it with her eyes, hoping to find the device quickly.

It was nowhere in sight, though. Three or four circles around the ground floor later, Arianne was still pondering what secluded space she could have missed to not have already found the device…

A staircase!

Right in front of her there was a precarious metal staircase that lead to the upper floor of the building. Surely, the difference in elevation had to be the reason why she couldn't see the radio source, even if the GPS told her that it and her were overlapping.

Eager to get the mission dealt with, Arianne climbed the steps and reached the second floor, nearly stumbling at the end. But whereas the first floor was oddly empty, and devoid of Pokémon, this one was… bustling with them.

On one corner of the building, near a pile of rubble and debris, stood Quartz's device in less than stellar conditions, but still active. On the other, stood Arianne. In the middle, stood all the Pokémon.

There weren't that many, but they looked strong. The leader of the group appeared to be a Golduck, who cried out loudly before shooting a Water Pulse right at the device. Immediately after, the other Pokémon joined forces. Two Wooper used Mud Shot, an Inkay tried a Psybeam, and three or four Tynamo fired off a Charge Beam.

The combined attacks didn't seem to break the machine though. Beneath the rugged plastic shell, the circuitry was still active… or at least that's what Arianne's Pokégear suggested. But that wasn't the point! Those Pokémon's attacks made it nearly impossible for the girl to pick up the machine safely, without ending up in the line of fire. Unless…

Eric! Protect!

The sound of the Pokèball reassured Arianne. With her best Pokémon by her side, she was going to get that device back and pry those Pokémon of their target practice. She was going to make Quartz happy, keep her safe, and get a nice reward as a bonus. She was going to prove herself!

The sound of the Pokéball made all the rogue Pokémon turn around, though. And they weren't happy.

Eric's Protect shielded himself and his trainer from the Golduck's Zen Headbutt, but soon dissipated under the continuous attacks of the other Pokèmon. One Spark from Tynamo broke through eventually, making the Wartortle flinch and backpedal towards Arianne. His next Water Pulse was completely useless as one of the Wooper stepped up to absorb it.

She should've thought this through.

TEAM:
    wartortle.png
    Eric, lv. 26 •
    pineco.png
    Mulan, lv. 14
    pichu.png
    Alice, lv. 9 •
    bagon.png
    Mizar, lv. 15
    morelull.png
    Lulu, lv. 21 •
    honedge.png
    Honedge, lv. 16

Last edited:

WizardOfOdd

Kirbmeister
    Years
  • Richard Wolstenholme​
    Lavender Town, May 25th, Morning
    R30b94q.png

Chapter 5 - 17
    End of Stay

Richard walked back and forth on the hallway of the local Pokemon Center. He was waiting anxiously on the diagnosis result while two of his companions sat down on the nearby bench.

Not long after, one of the staff in charge came towards the anxious boy.

"So how is he? Is he okay?"

"Don't worry, he is 100% fine. He strained his eyes too much, which is a concern. But as long as you do not let this become a common occurrence then there will be no lingering after-effects." The staff smiled widely.

Richard dropped down to his knees as the fear of losing Uri had completely gone away. The doctor then excused himself while Keith and Laura helped him sit on the bench.

"Are you okay?" Laura asked Richard with a worried expression.

"Don't worry, I'm just tired, that's all." Richard tried to assure Laura, but his sleep-deprived condition didn't help at all.

"Oh well, I guess I'm going now… I guess I need to hurry up and queue up once more.." Keith stood up from his seat.

"Oh, sorry you had to accompany me here."

"Hey, anything for a friend… But I'll appreciate it if you would treat me to a meal." Keith grinned widely.

"Yeah, yeah… Next town, okay?"

"Booyah!" Keith pumped his fist upward in elation. "Anyway, I'll be going now. Take care mate."

"You too."

Both of them shared a hug before Keith went out of the building. Having Keith and Laura both next to him was something Richard really appreciated, without them who knew how much panic he would be in earlier.

"Hey! Knock that guy a few pegs down, would you!?"

"Don't worry I'll beat him up good!" Keith waved towards Richard before finally leaving the Pokemon Center.

"You seemed to be very happy when you saw him."

"Of course, he's my best friend after all. We've been through thick and thin for 5 years now? Maybe 6? Well around that, yeah."

"I envy you."

"Oh trust me you don't, you won't want to bicker incessantly on small things just because it's fun to banter with each other."

"I think I'd love that though."

Richard shook his head while giggling at Laura's notion. Deep inside, he wouldn't trade his friendship with Keith for anything. But, there's no chance in hell Richard would say that out loud if he could. After all, Keith would gladly rub it in his face if he knew that he said that.

"Hey, I brought something along."

"What's this? Ahh… Cookies. Maddie will definitely love these."

Richard put the paper bag into his backpack while smiling widely. He imagined the expression that little Maddie would show if he would give her more cookies to wolf down.

"Maddie?"

"Oh, it's the name of my Chingling. I would've loved to introduce her to you, but I don't think she's woken up yet."

"A Chingling? Did you catch her at the graveyard?"

"Yeah, why's the somber expression, though? I know I'm not allowed to enter but… It's not like I did some ransacking or something around that."

"No, it's not because of that! Why the hell are you entering that creepy place!? You didn't know about the legend surrounding that place, did you?"

"What legend? The Rotom one?"

"No, it's not that one… Um, this legend is tied to a rumor about the disappearance of a young girl.

Disappearance? Young girl? Those two words already gave Richard chills… Especially the latter.

"So it was said that a young girl once visited the graveyard without anyone to accompany her. Her parents allowed her to play but they also told her to go home before dusk. The girl didn't heed the warning her parents gave her and when the dusk came… She never came back to her house. It is said that her spirit still haunts the graveyard to this day, looking for people to keep her company for eternity…"

Richard's jaw dropped as he was mortified by the revelation, he couldn't imagine what would happen if he didn't meet Madeline who was indirectly preventing him from finding out the source of the sound.

Well, at least I'm not injured at all this time. So that's a plus at least...

Just as Richard managed to appreciate his luck, he suddenly felt a throbbing pain in his head.

"A-are you sure you're fine? You can unwind at my house for a bit if you're feeling unwell." Laura asked Richard with concern painted clearly on her face.

"It's just due to lack of sleep, I'll be fine."

"But…"

"Trust me, I'll be fine."

The corner of the girl's mouth went down as Richard refused her offer. Richard just didn't want to impose on her nor her sister more than what he already did. He didn't want to rack more debts that he couldn't repay. It was something that he didn't like.

"Did you know that I was going to go to study at Saffron so I can be a Doctor in the future?"

"Yeah, your sister told me back at your family tavern. What about it?"

"I told you earlier that I watched a lot of battles these last few days right? It… It made my heart race… The atmosphere, the spirit that the trainer gave, and all sorts of stuff… I envy them…" Laura smiled brightly towards Richard before lowering her head while looking slightly embarrassed.

"So, I think I'm going to try my luck and go on a journey to be a professional trainer."

The boy's eyes and mouth rounded hearing her intention.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years
  • art by Aquacorde
    Arianne Chandler
    Route 12, Dead Factories

Dancing on a thin line

Lulu came out, getting ready to jump closer to the Wooper and drain its energy. Mizar launched a powerful Dragon Rage, dispersing the enemy Pokémon. Alice, just by standing right beside her trainer, interfered with Tynamo's attacks and prevented them from being a threat. Now we're talking!

The enemy Pokémon's attacks were now much less coordinated, and this allowed Eric to shield Arianne quite easily as she made her way towards the device. Protect was too strong for Golduck to tear down with a single Zen Headbutt, and it is not quite fast enough to break it with repeated attacks, like the Tynamo did.

The closer the girl gets to the device, the more desperate the Golduck seems to get. But it's also becoming more wary of her and the device she's looking for, so much so that it doesn't dare get too close. Soon, it switches to Water Pulse once again.

Eric is also starting to struggle, though. He has to either Protect or take Golduck's Water attacks head-on, and even if he resists them it's undeniable that the rogue Pokémon is more powerful - but if that wasn't enough, even he is starting to look uneasy near that device. Clearly, the battle must end quickly, so that Arianne can leave the building safely.

So how are her Pokémon doing? Well, Alice is being hit by Tynamo's coordinated Tackle attacks. Knowing that she is the reason why they can't battle to their full potential, the little eel Pokémon are all lunging at her with the only move that can really hurt her. And yet, she's managing! It's easy to hit your opponents when they're so close, after all.

Balancing between Play Nice and Thundershock, she's dealing a surprising amount of damage to the Tynamo, who are still able to hit her with Tackle but at the cost of considerable damage. The only Pokémon who could easily stop her are the two Woopers, but Lulu is handling them.

With Ingrain to keep them in one place and Mega Drain, Lulu is healing herself for more than those two could damage her. Their Mud Shots or Water Guns are not effective, and to make things even worse for the rogues, Lulu knows Sleep Powder… and is not afraid to use it.

Mizar is face to face with Inkay, instead. His battle cries echo through the area, and his attempts at Dragon Rage are the most scenic attacks of all the Pokémon involved. They often miss or clash against the squid Pokémon's Psybeams, but that one energy beam that hit Inkay was very, very damaging. Inkay was given no time to charge up its own Hypnosis or Swagger, and that was really more than Arianne could ask for.

That… left Golduck, though. A Golduck with blood in its eyes, especially when it realized that Arianne had figured out how to wear the device and was ready to take it away. Take it away for repairs, according to the Water type's previous experience, which in turn boiled down to more headaches.

Noticing Golduck's expression, the girl had to speak up. "You all looked afraid of this thing. Aren't you happy I'm bringing it far away from here? Why are you attacking me like this?"

Golduck appeared to understand for a bit. With another cry, it ordered all the other rogue Pokémon to stop fighting - and Arianne did the same very soon with a command of her own. It then walked away from the girl and towards Alice, who was looking at it in terror. Her trainer wasn't sure how to react, but to start running towards the staircase, device still attached to her shoulder. She wanted to complete the mission. But as soon as she took a step…

Golduck's eyes started to glow, and so did Alice's. No more than a second later, an absurd Water Pulse knocked her straight into a pile of rubble, motionless. It was just another Water Pulse from the same Golduck from before… but with those glowing eyes.

A Confusion attack from Golduck knocked out Mizar in a single hit, too. Lulu would have suffered from the same fate if Arianne wasn't quick enough to recall her inside her Pokéball. The powered-up Pokémon turned towards the girl, and the same terror in Alice's eyes was now in hers. Golduck gestured towards the device, seemingly telling her to put it down. She couldn't refuse anyways, because now Golduck and the other Pokémon were able to easily block her access to the staircase, and trap Arianne inside the building.

"Now you want it for yourself?"

Golduck even appeared to nod slightly, but it seemed hard to believe. Weren't the Pokémon trying to destroy the device just a few minutes ago? It charged up another Water Pulse, ready to shoot if Arianne would have taken a step. According to the girl's mind, time had stopped flowing.

A large gap opened up on the wall of the dead factory, acting as the only other way out. It was quite high up, and falling from there would have not been fun, but she did it anyways. Eric shielded her as best as he could, bracing for the impact with Golduck's Water Pulse, before transforming into energy that followed Arianne down as she fell.

Lulu was there on the ground, setting up Ingrain in record time. The mycelium sprouting up from the ground was still weak, but elastic, and slowed Arianne down like a spring. It hurt, but at least the girl was able to run away from there. She definitely needed to - the Tynamo were already on the chase.

TEAM:
    wartortle.png
    Eric, lv. 26 •
    pineco.png
    Mulan, lv. 14
    pichu.png
    Alice, lv. 9 •
    bagon.png
    Mizar, lv. 15
    morelull.png
    Lulu, lv. 21 •
    honedge.png
    Honedge, lv. 16

Last edited:

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years
  • art by Aquacorde
    Arianne Chandler
    Route 12, Dead Factories

Dancing on a thin line, pt. 2

When more forest Pokémon joined forces against her and that wretched device she was carrying, Arianne ran inside the first building that looked safe enough and locked herself inside one of the rooms. Then, she let out a sigh of relief.

Lulu, who she was now carrying in her arms, had been successful in putting to sleep at least some of her attackers. The others seemed to either get tired of fighting, or not be strong enough to break into the room. With those dealt with, the mushroom Pokémon could now provide light for Arianne and heal herself up with Moonlight. In the meantime, her trainer leaned up against the wall and drank some water.

"We can rest in here for a while and leave when things have calmed down, I hope." She gave Lulu a gentle pat. "Despite all that happened there, you've been fantastic… thank you so much."

She chirped in response.

"We're strong together, Lulu."

The crackles, cries and mumbles of wild Pokémon were getting more and more muffled as time passed. Maybe the device had to do with that. Arianne, of course, took this chance to recover and collect herself, thinking about what to do in order to get back to the lab. It would not have been easy, but she was already on the right path. North, that is.

From water, she went on to berries. She still had some of Casey's fruit left, and she didn't hesitate to munch on a few of them. She even tried giving one to Lulu, who essentially tried to stand on it and absorb all of its nutrients with her little roots. Eric was also let out of his Pokéball to have some berries, and enjoyed them… probably way more than back at the fisherman's place. This room had something special to it, for sure.

The next thing that Arianne could do was examine Quartz's device. It was all wrapped in a strong protective shell, which already proved its worth before, but that seemed just way too easy to cut through. Even a swiss knife, eventually, would have caused it to fall apart… not like that would be a problem if all the Pokémon would only try to break the machine from a distance.

Arianne's problem was how to turn it off, though. It only seemed to annoy and hinder all Pokémon around it, and more importantly, it allowed them to track her down and know her location. If she wanted to take this back, having it turned off would have been the best thing that could happen. But she couldn't find any button, knob, anything to do that… and breaking the machine entirely was also out of the equation.

Lost in thought, the girl realized that her PokéGear was humming when the incoming call was about to get interrupted due to timeout. She was able to answer just in time, in fact.

"H-hi?"

"Hi Ari! It's been a while… how's your journey going? Would you turn on your camera please?"

"I can barely hear you and see you, why do you think you can see me? I'm out in the wilderness. Also, hello… mom."

"Alright alright, but what's with the long face?"

"Not in the best situation right now. East Kanto is wild. Anyway this journey is crazy, I've met tons of new friends, Pokémon, and I've seen tons of different places already…"

"Oh, I'm sure of it! But are you enjoying it?"

"It's not easy of course. But I liked it so far… yeah."

"What do you mean it's not easy? You got at least one badge by now, right?"

"Wellllllllllllll…"

A loud hit is heard, coming right from the door. One more, and Arianne sees the door creak and move dangerously.

"What was that, darling?"

"Uhhh… interference, signal sucks here! Call you later!"

There's not much time to think about anything, but one thing. Even to her parents, all that matters is the number of badges, or how many battles she wins. So be it… this time, Arianne will prove herself to them as well and win everything.

As she stares inside the keyhole, the keyhole stares back. A red and black eye looks at her in anger. The next thing it looks at, though, is the button of a Pokéball. Soon, it gets pushed away from the door by a greenish Pokémon materializing in front of it… and then knocking it away with an explosion.

"Thanks Mulan! Now let's get out of here!"

TEAM:
    wartortle.png
    Eric, lv. 26 •
    pineco.png
    Mulan, lv. 14
    pichu.png
    Alice, lv. 9 •
    bagon.png
    Mizar, lv. 15
    morelull.png
    Lulu, lv. 21 •
    honedge.png
    Honedge, lv. 16

Last edited:

WizardOfOdd

Kirbmeister
    Years
  • Richard Wolstenholme​
    Lavender Town, May 25th, Morning
    R30b94q.png

Chapter 5 - 18
    Farewell, Lavender

"Are you sure about that?" Richard showed a concern at this statement. Going on a journey with Pokemon for several months and taking Pokemon battling as a job were two things with completely different weight.

Being a professional trainer wasn't going to be an easy rodeo. From what he understood, it's not easy staying on the professional battling scene, especially when each year there was always a new face that shakes up the scene. Those who were at the top of the game might be forgotten in the next few years if they couldn't adapt. It was a ruthless cycle.

Giving up on a more stable job for something that might not work out was something that Richard was concerned about, and so he couldn't help but show a stern face as a reaction to her statement.

"Mmm-hmm… I'm sure of it."

Richard could only smile seeing the determination that was clearly exuded from her face. Who was he to refute her opinion? After all, if she was a fool to chase that dream then so would he who did the exact same thing.

"Is that so?"

Richard softly smiled.

"Yeah! Don't worry though, I'm not going to go out without any preparation… I'll probably stay here six more months to prepare myself. I can't go to a Trainer School since I'm too old, but I really don't know if self-study is enough…"

"Haha, I graduated from one yet I learn new things every day. But don't worry, as long as you have the passion to learn and nurture your Pokemon you'll be fine. Oh yeah, you also need to know when to avoid excessive risk during your adventure… Those things can be really dangerous especially if you're traveling alone."

"And how should I do that?"

"By… Uh... on second thoughts you shouldn't ask about this from me. I don't have the best track record regarding that."

Richard grimaced as he remembered the misfortunes he had faced. Exploding Electrode, Almost getting himself mauled by a Tyranitar, and almost dragged to the other world by a ghost automatically disqualified him from giving those kinds of advice.

"Really? Oh well then… Hey, um… You know, uh… I don't have that many friends that are my age. Most of them are quite older than I am so… Can we exchange numbers?"

The question let out by Laura blindsided Richard. He knew that he had a good relationship with the girl, but asking him to be her friend directly was something he didn't expect at all. Curious, he asked another question to the girl.

"Is that so? Do tell me, why do you want me as a friend?"

"Well, you're a good guy… And… Hey, why do I have to answer that… I mean, we don't need a convoluted reason to be friends, no?"

The answer given to him made Richard laugh heartily which confused the hell out of Laura.

"Is there something wrong with my answer?"

There was nothing wrong with her answer at all. There was no denying that he was scared, scared of the prospect of letting down yet another person in his life.

Yet there was something that felt different this time around, he couldn't help but laugh remembering how much he pushed other people away. The warm feeling of having new friends… It was something he didn't experience for a long time. At least not until Laura and Gordon before her.

"Nah, I was just reminded of something." Richard shook his head with a wide grin plastered on his face.

Both of them exchanged contact with no difficulties at all. It's one more person to fill the barren contact list Richard had. Right now, there were almost no people in there at all that he didn't need to scroll to see everyone registered there.

"Take care alright, don't cry if you miss me."

Richard was ready to leave, but suddenly he had second thoughts about leaving straight away. There was something he wanted to do... Something he hadn't done in a long time.

"...Hey, Laura."

"Yeah?"

Richard aimed his Pokegear towards the confused girl.

"You might want to put out your best pose."

"For what? You don't need to fawn over my photo when you have the genuine article right here." Laura giggled hard at her own joke, while the recipient shook his head disapprovingly.

"Pssh… Like I'll do that. I'm doing this because I'm not sure I'll remember you after a week."

"Oh is that so?" The girl smiled playfully. "Let's take a selfie together instead."

"Ah… Uh… Can you do it? It's been years since I've taken one."

"Of course old man, leave it to me!"

Both of them smiled and took several pictures together. Laura had a huge laugh due to seeing how awkward Richard's pose was, much to the latter's chagrin.

Not long after, Richard walked away towards the town borders.

"Bye Laura, let's meet again one day!"

"Take care! Don't forget to answer if I send you messages, okay!?"

Richard finally left Lavender Town. With a new mindset and reinvigorated spirit carried along with him on his journey, he was more motivated than ever to finish his trainer journey on a high note.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WizardOfOdd

Kirbmeister
    Years
  • Richard Wolstenholme​
    Route 11, May 25th, Morning
    R30b94q.png

Chapter 6-1
    Device Extraction

"I thought this wasn't supposed to be this hard."

Richard glanced towards a single device in the middle of the clearing nearby. It was surrounded by several Pokemon who looked 'really happy' with the device's presence in the area. Proof in point? It's getting beaten around like a punching bag.

He should've known better than this. There was no way that Professor Quartz would give him a place to stay for free just for grabbing a mere device he didn't have time to collect.

Moreover, it wasn't only the wild Pokemon around that didn't like the machine. Both Uri and Eileen who he brought out, also showed some blatant disdain about the idea to approach it. Whether it's the beeping noise or there's some sort of weird frequencies emanating from it, he didn't have the knowledge to properly understand it… Nor the energy to think why the hell Quartz couldn't make a much more silent device that didn't sound like a ticking time bomb. In hindsight, he should've rested under the tree earlier when he had the chance, now he had to deal with constant yawns that he could barely repress.

"There's no such thing as a free meal, huh?"

Richard looked upward. The skies looked pretty dark, it was almost a guarantee for the rain to happen soon. Which meant that… Camping would be a really 'fun' idea to do. There was no choice but to help Professor Quartz collect his dubious-looking device. Richard tried to rationalize the existence of the device, but doing it in his current state only induced more headaches. If this device was morally questionable then shouldn't authorities already storm Professor Quartz's lab? From that question alone Richard quickly assumed that Professor Quartz knew better than him about this. Perhaps it was a short term kind of deal to help understand something that would benefit the Pokemon world in the long term. Or at least he certainly hoped so.

The plan was clear, there was only one smart choice, or that's what Richard could muster with his limited brainpower. Knock them out using Victor's Hypnosis, bait the rest using Eileen's agility before returning both Victor and Eileen to their Pokeball, then Teleport away while holding the device with Uri. It should be a low-risk strategy, as long as everything went the way it should, even without Maddie who was still sleeping inside her Pokeball.

Without wasting any more time, he rolled Victor's Pokeball releasing him outside before briefing him about the current situation. However, things were not so simple as Richard expected… Victor looked totally out of it during the briefing which was a total red flag. Victor hadn't been in the best condition ever since they came out short against Jarmie, and it totally showed on the expression it wore.

However, time was of the essence. They needed to act now and fast. So Richard put his hand over his Pokemon who had the cloud of doubt hanging above his head.

"It's okay Pal, we're in this together. We can do this!"

The pep talk cheered up Victor, or at least it seemed so at the surface. Eileen was jittery with nervousness as she tried her best to calm her nerves before rushing towards the horde, while Uri looked as ready as ever.

Richard snapped his finger as soon as everybody seemed ready, a signal which prompted Victor to shoot a beam from his body. The shot only hit two out of the five Pokemon, but it was enough to thin their number as both of them immediately fell to the ground as drowsiness took over their body.

Victor looked disappointed, but Richard was pretty satisfied with it. They kept a pretty far distance from them, at least reasonable enough to justify why the Hypnosis beam only hit two Pokemon. And so he gave some pat to Victor as a reward for his effort, but it was just only a 1/3rd of the plan done.

The two Corphish and Inkay started to look for the source of the beam cautiously, which was the right time to sprung the next part of the plan. Eileen ran through the bush where the team was hiding using Quick Attack and caught the attention of the rest of the Pokemon by using Thunder Wave on Inkay. She then proceeded to make a run for it as the two Corpish tried their best to hit her using Bubblebeam.

However, the pair's attack didn't manage to hit the target as Eileen's nimbleness combined with the tree and bushes around her was enough to shield her from the incoming attack.

Both Corphish chased after her, leaving the machine wide open for the taking. Victor blasted the paralyzed Inkay away using Psywave and Richard immediately nabbed the machine without any further delay.

"Oof, this is heavier than I thought."

Richard lifted the machine with two hands before returning to the shrubbery where he hid before with his team. Eileen managed to buy some time as she used Electro Ball after returning to the clearing area which clearly annoyed the Corphish. In the initial plan, it was the right time to return Eileen and Victor back to their Pokeball then bail using Teleport. But now he could see that there was a better way to escape without much hassle.

"Eileen, jump!"

Eileen was a bit hesitant to adapt to the new plan but she jumped high anyway. Leaving the line of fire open for Victor to shoot another Hypnosis beam, this time knocking the pair of Corphish out.

Victor was ecstatic with the result which clearly showed on its face. Uri was less so, but he was being a good sport about having his part in the plan getting cut in the final moments. It was a massive improvement compared to the time where he bickered with Eileen just for attention, which caused a huge sigh of relief to come out from Richard's mouth. Finally, his team looked like a well-oiled machine rather than putting their own individuality first.

All of them shared a high-five as quickly as possible before they hightailed their way out of the area to the lab before the Pokemon around them recovered, where all of them finally earned their well-deserved rest.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Gwen Alanis
    May 26, Sunday, Morning

I don't really know who Ray is, and his Malamar makes me unsure how much I can trust this guy, but I can't really turn him away after saving me like that. Plus, without any light source, I'd be completely screwed over if I didn't follow him.

He leads the way, illuminating the hall Zorua led me through. There's not any doors on the walls, and it's kind of scary how isolated the room I was in is from any other rooms. Honestly though, I'm not sure if I'm safe even around Ray. Maybe I could try asking him some questions? He mentioned he's friendly with Malamar, so maybe…

"H-hey Ray?" It's pretty difficult for me to speak up around someone I know so little about. Without even looking over to me, he just says "What is it, kid?"

"S-so, you're pr-pretty good friends with your M-Malamar, right?"

Silence for a moment. "Yeah, I'd say so."

I'm expecting him to say something else, but there's nothing. Ugh, I guess I need to ask more questions. "So, are y-you like… a Pokémon tr-trainer?"

"Not really these days, although I guess when I was young, yeah I was pretty into it." He lacks any enthusiasm in his voice.

"Th-then, what are you doing here?"

Ray shrugs. "I guess I just kinda make sure everything's alright here. Dunno why exactly- I guess having worked here a long time ago I sort of feel a strange bond here."

"Oh." That's something I've gotten from him, although it's not super interesting. I do have one burning question though, and I wonder if he'll even give me an answer this time. "How do you know Dr. Quartz?"

"Long story." He groans. "And I have something else to take care of before I can really even think about that." Ray points straight forward, and following his index fingers shows me I'm right where I was before Morgrem Guy dragged me into his vengeful intentions- A hallway stuffed with Tynamo that float through the air.

"Oh, right- Wooooooow! I forgot just how cool this sight is!"

"And if you were distracted by that, you would have been fried."

"Hey! I've made it past a Tynamo school twice and I've been fine!"

"Not here ya won't." Ray digs through his pocket to grab some kind of piece of rubble. He tosses it down the corridor, but before it can even land on the floor, the school of Tynamo release a massive electric shock in unison that nearly blinds me and utterly obliterates whatever it is he threw down there! That's cool and all, but I'd die if I stepped foot in there.

"Woah- What the hell!?!? How are they so strong?"

"These guys are near Quartz's machine. I know that because they're so strong."

"What's that supposed to mean? And besides, I can take them down with my Pokémon!"

"Not a chance, kid." Ray scolds, and has his Malamar take a few steps forward. His eyes glow red, and in an instant, every individual electric-type falls straight to the ground. "Those machines emit some kind of waves that's made these guys way more aggressive. We're gonna have to be very careful from here on. Now watch your step." I nod nervously, and follow his footwork across the floor that was littered with snoozing Pokémon. Malamar is able to just slightly levitate above ground.

After that mess, there's only one direction to go, left from here. Ray moves his light around to scan the area, and he stops on two Impidimps pummeling each-other, who face towards us once visible and hiss. It's no problem for Malamar of course, who just uses Hypnotize yet again to put them to sleep. "This way." He beckons, marching forward while avoiding the Impidimps. I follow him, but I can't help but notice something behind me. I turn around and see a Mimikyu, spawning from my shadow! I'm about to send a Pokémon out to battle, but Malamar just uses Hypnosis to put it to sleep.

"Kid, do you wanna find the devices or not? Let's go." Ray really doesn't want me killing time, huh? I'm about to argue with him about that, but I see two long Pokémon darting straight towards us!

"Ray, look out!"

A flash of the light reveals both Pokémon are Elektrik. Unsurprisingly, another Hypnosis just makes them thud to the ground. "Jeez, it hasn't been this bad in awhile. Kid, be very cautious."

We advanced further down the alleyway, and everything seems clear- That is until it's suddenly pitch black. What the hell happened? Did his battery run out?

"Ray!!!" I scream, incredibly panicked. "Where are you!? Do you have any spare batteries?"

"It's not me kid, it's you!!" What's that supposed to mean!? Isn't that a cliche line that's used in shitty teen dramas? "Malamar, Hypnosis!"

Shortly after his command, I feel a weight is taken off my face and I can see again. I'm about to ask what just happened, but a squishing sound comes from the ground- Glancing down shows a slumbering Inkay just fell to the ground.

"...Did that thing just attach itself to my face?"

"Yep, and more probably will if you're here any longer. Hurry!" Ray creates wider gaps with his legs, and I speed-walk behind him. I knew Inkay were mischievous, but I didn't think they'd try to eat my face or anything! Did the machines really cause this? I try to think deeply on this while following the gruff man, but stuff about raido waves or whatever is something I can't wrap my head around.

I do my best to try to contemplate how any of this can work, but I'm taken out when I bump into Ray's back. "Hey, what's the big idea?"

"Stay back, kid!" He firmly warns, gesturing me to stand still. I look around, spotting something similar to a thick rope dragging itself across the floor, surrounding us both. It looks similar to Jess, and static pulses through its body. I try really hard to think of what Pokémon could look like this and know electric moves in the wild, and all I can think of is Elektross. But that can't be right, this thing is way longer than an Elektross… right?

I'm proven wrong when the head of an Elektross moves into the field of Ray's artificial light, electricity charging in its gaping jaw. I have to admit, it's pretty neat, but I'd rather not be a fried meal tonight- at least since I wouldn't be fried oil, I couldn't be that unhealthy.

"What is this growth pattern!?" This is the first time I've seen Ray this shocked. "Whatever, I don't have time to answer that! Malamar, Hypnosis!"

Once again though, my fears are nullified when Elektross is hypnotized into a deep slumber. I should have expected it, but come on, I saw how much those Tynamo could do! I don't even want to imagine what an adult version of it would do to me. Well, maybe with Marshall I could have nullified some of that damage, but they have Levitate anyways. It'd be completely useless.

After I sigh with relief, I unintentionally stare into space walking forward. I couldn't tell you how long our trek has been going on for at this point. I know I should be on my toes, but goddamnit, it's hard to focus when nothing is happening!

"Should be behind here."

The old guy flashes a light on a door that has some kind of hatchet smack in the middle of it. I rush over to open it, but it's impossible. It's sealed shut!

"Step out of the way, kid. We've got this." Some kind of energy pulses through Malamar's body, and he flexes his tentacles as if they were arms. It looks kind of goofy, but when the Overturning Pokemon glow red and looks determined, I know I need to step out of the way fast.

I'm not sure if he was waiting for me or if my timing was right- as soon as the path was clear, Malamar slammed straight into the locked door, using all his strength to make the door I couldn't even budge open go flying back! Unmistakably, that was Superpower, and it's really goddamn cool to see in action!

When the door goes unhinged, there's a smacking sound that's followed up with a hissing sound that no doubt is from a Morgrem. Even though I've grown to dislike them, I couldn't help but feel a little bad for the guys, and entering the wide room to see a few Morgrem passed out with a door toppled on top of them doesn't help.

"Those guys probably would have ambushed us if we actually opened it." Ray says, completely unsympathetic towards what his Pokémon just did. That really just grinds my gears the way he just acted! I mean, yeah he's probably right, and Morgrem are kind of bastards, but still!

"Don't you care about the Pokémon you just hurt at all!?"

"Kid, I wouldn't have to do this if those damn machines weren't making them so freakin' mad. It's not like I could even Hypnotize them instead when they're behind a damn door! If you're gonna be mad at anyone, get mad Dr. Quartz, who made these things. And speaking of which, there's one right there." Ray's light circles exactly what I'm here for- The machines!

"Oh, wow! I found one!" I rush up to it, kneeling over to feel if it's the real deal. The texture seems about right, but I'm not even gonna try to pick it up because I already know it's too heavy for me.

"Good. The more of these things that are taken out, the better." Ray comments. I can't say I disagree- Everything he's said about these machines makes them sound awful. What was Quartz thinking, creating these devices that make Pokémon act so awful? "I've heard the doctor is giving out Technical Machines to kids they send out here to bring those devices back. You getting one too?"

"Yes." He really doesn't have a lot of nice things to say about Quartz, does he? I mean, they're gonna give me a TM, so I can't stay too mad at them.

"Thought so." He scratches his chin. "Of course, they'll probably collect data from that thing and have another trainer put it back here in a few months, only to have some other kids retrieve it. Typical Quartz shenanigans."

"I guess so…" Now I'm starting not to think so kindly of Quartz. Did they even know what their machines would do? If these collect data on the Pokémon, surely they must. "I-I need to call a… f-friend down here so he can carry the machine back. C-can you stay down here for a bit so I can actually see?"

"Sure." He agrees unhesitantly. "But the second your friend gets here, I'm out." That's a relief- Maybe once Casey gets down here, he can hear Ray about these awful devices and we can work out some kind of plan to destroy these things.

I search my bag for my phone, only to remember I placed it in my back pocket. Honestly, I'm not sure why I don't leave it there more often, but whatever. I unlock it and look through the only three contacts I have, dialing Casey.

"Uhh, hey Casey, I think we found it!"

Gwen's team
    037.png
    610.png
    025.png
    024.png
    200.png
    195.png

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    67003_1607461856670841135.jpg
    Ralph Gonder
    wet
    Saturday, May 25th
    Early evening, Day 6

Sandsy
    028.png
    Lv 26 | Coldy
    67003_1575205949183149129.png
    Lv 23
    Jolty
    239.png
    Lv 19 | Creepy
    885.png
    Lv 20 | Greeny
    019.png
    Lv 15
    Ralph's Profile | Current Chapter | css base by Aquacorde
    There wasn't just rain now. Ralph heard thunder above, and to top it off, the air was starting to get dim. The sun wasn't visible, but perhaps it was nearing sunset in a bit. Ralph hadn't checked the time in a while. It likely was way past dinnertime, anyways.

Coldy was back in her pokéball now, for her own comfort. The trainer wished that she could head into one as well. It was pretty unfair, really. Why couldn't Greeny carry her in a ball on a little belt or something, for a change?

The breaking point came when she accidentally stepped right into a deep puddle, and found her foot submerged above the ankle.

"Nope," she said out loud, but her voice was covered by a concurrent loud crack from the sky.

Time to seek shelter. She gave up; she wouldn't make it back in one shape like this, she figured. And by shape, she meant that she'd melt into a pool of mud and despair before she could reach the East Kanto Research Station. For sure.

At least Quartz' device seemed pretty rain-proof. She hoisted the strap back up on her slippery poncho-covered shoulder and started looking around more carefully. There were a few buildings nearby. One of them seemed to have mostly intact windows on the bottom floor. That worked for Ralph.

She approached it and attempted to open the front door. Locked.

"Why would somebody lock this?" she exclaimed in frustration.

Well… Surely nobody would mind if the door could never be unlocked again, at least. She called out Coldy, who seemed to take note of the weather but otherwise didn't falter.

"Powder Snow on the doorhandle, please?"

Coldy obeyed without question. She sprayed cold snow on the door for a minute until it was clear that it had frozen.

"Now, Metal Claw!"

The handle flew off as Coldy slashed at the doorframe, and it was possible that the lock had also been broken in the process. But it also seemed to be jammed, and still wouldn't budge when Ralph pushed on it. To boot, it was also now super freezing to the touch.

"Argh… Ice Ball!" she next said, taking a few steps back and instinctively using Quartz' bulky machine as a shield.

Coldy stepped back a bit into the muddy unruly vegetation, to get some distance before she wrapped herself into a ball glowing with cold energy and accelerated towards the door. The impact was surprisingly quiet, and the door barely stayed in its hinges as it flew open inwards.

Ralph hurried inside, to find Coldy grumpily stumbling through a pile of cardboxes she had hit. The trainer smiled and shut the door behind them again as well as it was possible now that it was slightly askew.

"Thanks, girl," she said. "Wanna stay out for a bit?"

Coldy didn't object, so Ralph let her. They were inside of some kind of simple hallway with offices on both sides, one of them with windows. It wasn't too dissimilar from the research station, Ralph figured, but more cramped. After a minute, they found what was probably supposed to be a break room, a bit more spacey and with a wall made of windows, all but one intact - one was actually just gone, frame and all. Weird. It didn't rain in much though. There was a fridge and a dishwasher, but none were functional now. There were still some tables and chairs bunched up in a corner, and Ralph was sort of surprised that they hadn't moved those out when the place was abandoned. Even the chairs weren't worth keeping, huh.

Ralph moved a table and a chair out and put the research device down somewhere on the floor, discarding her rain poncho on top of it. Then she sat down and felt heavy. The noise from outside reached her through the missing window at the other end of the room, but it was fine. Sort of cool, actually.

She took the opportunity to send all of her pokémon out and feed them a small bit, and then leaned back while taking off her soaked shoes and socks, silently wishing she had a fire pokémon like Pepper now.

The thunder had to stop raging at some point.

Years
  • Gwen Alanis ft. Casey Holt
    Sunday, May 26th, Morning

Hoofbeats on concrete and flickering firelight preempt Casey's entrance into the room, sidling in with a curious expression on his face and his three Pokémon beside him. "That's a lot of sleeping Pokémon. What'd you do?"

Gwen squints at the boy in front of her, questioning if this is another illusion. This one can talk at least- probably a good sign. "Oh, Casey, am I glad to see you!" she sighs. "But it wasn't me who put them to sleep. I mean, which one of us has the large hypnotic squid with them?"

Casey gives her a puzzled look. "Neither of us, 's far as I know. What're you talkin' about?"

"Huh?" Gwen cocks an eyebrow. "Obviously I'm talking about the Malamar with this old guy right here- Wait, what the hell!?" She turns around expecting to see Ray and his Malamar, but they've completely vanished. Gwen is left in a state of shock, trying to reason out what happened. There's only one doorway, and if Ray left, he'd have to come across Casey at some point. "Where the fuck did Ray go!?!?"

"Who's Ray?" Casey asks, confusion mounting. "Is there someone else down here?"

"Yes! Well, there's two other people, but I saw Ray, he's this tall old guy who looks grumpy, and his Malmar used Hypnosis on those Pokémon, he even has a flashlight and, and, and…"

Casey's shaking his head, even before she trails off. "I didn't see anyone on my way down here. Just a whole bunch of sleeping Pokémon. An' we should probably get that machine before they all wake up, huh?" He rifles through his small backpack, pulling out the carry strap, and makes his way over to the device.

Gwen stands frozen in disbelief. Many questions occupy her mind, but Casey's insistence that they should grab the machine and go rushes her thought process. "Actually, well uhh, there was something I wanted to say about the machines. When Ray was here, he told me those things have been making the Pokémon act all aggressive so he had to put them to sleep. Apparently Dr. Quartz just brings them back when they're done, so like… is it worth the TM to make these Pokémon suffer?"

Casey hefts the thing onto his shoulder, testing the weight of it and finding his balance. "Well o' course they just bring 'em back. Research takes lots of data, right?"

"No, you don't get it, the radio waves or whatever of these things make the Pokémon go crazy and hurt each other! And I think they can even make them grow all weird, did you see that Elektross?? Ray said it might have been from the machines! Those damn things are destroying the ecosystem!"

Casey ponders this for a moment. "How d'you know?" he asks, and before Gwen can continue to go on about Ray he continues: "How do you know this is changin' anything? Do you know what it was like in here before Quartz put a device down? I don't. I haven't been studyin' these places like they have for years 'n' years. Gettin' this raw data back for them to analyze is gonna let them know what's goin' on down here, and then they can figure it out. And I'm gonna get a TM for it."

"But, but…" She can't really argue against anything he says, but she's confident he's wrong. "It's clearly hurting the Pokémon! Use your eyes! I say, we put that thing down and smash it to pieces! I could care less about some stupidass Technical Machine when the wildlife here is being harmed!"

Casey shakes his head again. "I ain't seen anythin' more than Pokémon living their normal wild lives, except for all those sleeping ones. An' we better go before they wake up." He strides to the door, Pokémon at his heels. "C'mon."

Gwen clenches her fists and feels her frustration pulsing through her. "NO!!!" she shouts, stomping her foot firmly into the ground and grabbing a Pokeball off her belt. "I say we settle this with a battle! You win, we get the TMs, but if I win, we blast that thing to fucking smithereens!" Her determination is on full-display through her eyes for anyone to see just how dead serious she is. Casey glances between her and the door, expression unusually serious, before he huffs out a sharp breath.

"Fine."

A sharp grin forms across Gwen's face, reaching both of her ears. "Great! I'll start things off with Marshall, but things will be a little different this time!" Her determination morphs into gleeful excitement, and she's barely able to contain it. She windmills her arm a bit before tossing her Pokeball onto the ground. The ball pops open, and Marshall appears, blankly staring straight forward. "Cool, huh? Marshall evolved into Quagsire! Even with Parsley's type advantage, you won't take us down easily!"

Casey, strangely, seems unaffected by Marshall's new form- his demeanor doesn't shift from that seriousness as Ginger relocates to his shoulder and he sends Parsley in with a curt "Leech Seed."

"That won't stop us! Marshall, use Haze!"

Marshall opens his wide jaw to exhale a thick smoke in hopes of obscuring Parsley's field of vision. Obscure it the Haze does, for a moment, but Casey's call for a wide spread of twenty-five leaves hits Marshall anyway.

"Marshall, Amnesia!" Marshall relaxes the muscles in his body while facing an onslaught of sharp leaves. The cuts left behind aren't as deep as they'd normally be, but Quagsire is still very weak to grass-type attacks.

A tighter, faster pattern of leaves zips across the dissipating haze, aim as true as Pepper's Embers. Gwen calls out for a Rain Dance, and after a few hops from Marshall, dark clouds form and float above, sprinkling enough droplets to dampen incoming leaves. The new weight of the water drags them down, slowing their pace, but some of the sharp leaves still leave scratches across Marshall's lower half. Casey leaves no time for recovery, though- Parsley canters just behind said leaves, wrapping vines around Marshall's legs and drawing him in, inadvertently boosting the Slam Gwen commands and barely nullifying it with his own Pursuit. Even after using Amnesia, a simple dark-type attack is enough to knock Marshall to his back, and although he gives off no audible indicator of being unable to continue, he's obviously fainted.

A grass-type defeating a water and ground-type Pokémon after a run-in with a Tyranitar- of course he wasn't gonna last. Two Pokémon evolving in one battle might have boosted Gwen's ego a bit too much. "Okay, you had the type-advantage here! Big deal!" Hopefully Casey wouldn't call her out for walking back on what she said at the beginning of the battle. "But he wasn't the only Pokémon of mine who just evolved, and this time I'll have a type advantage!" Her over-confident grin returns as she tosses a second Pokeball onto the field- Jess, now an Arbok, materializes, hissing menacingly while looking down at Parsley with her new height advantage. The Skiddo recoils, trotting unsteadily backwards, and Casey allows it.

"Come back, baby boy," he says, pulling the two sticks from his backpack. "Pepper, Rush!"

The Charmeleon takes the field, passing the Skiddo neatly and zeroing in to slam the sticks into the first point of Jess's body he can reach. While taking the damage in the middle of her serpentine body, Jess capitalizes on how close Pepper is and coils herself around him. Tightening her grip, Jess chortles maniacally and looks her prey dead in the eyes. Now that she's evolved, she's seemed to master her signature strategy, taking a strange pleasure in damage she does. As odd as Gwen finds it, in the long-run it'd be less damage done to the local wildlife.

Pepper, however, is not just local wildlife. With arms and sticks trapped by Jess' squeezing, coiling body he maneuvers his head to face hers and takes the deepest breath he can manage to exhale a punching blast of blue energy into her hood. Her head is smacked back from the impact, and she frantically hisses in pain as a juxtaposition to her earlier intimidating demeanor. After being blasted with the dragon-type attack, Jess' head swings back into place, and she unleashes a piercing screech throughout the room. But Pepper grits his teeth and takes advantage of Jess' momentary lapse, wriggling one stick free to smack her in the face repeatedly.

The barrage is too much for Jess to resist- her head comes crashing to the floor, and her grip on Pepper significantly loosens. If Gwen could logically thinks this through, both Marshall and Jess did have intense battles and couldn't properly restore their health afterwards, and a multi-hitting ground-type attack naturally would be super effective against a poison-type. If Gwen could just think this through, evolution isn't going to make everything easier- but of course, her emotions massively overpower her thought process. A rush of shock and anger flows through her, and her unjustified state of desperation leads her mind to an impulsive decision.

Another Pokeball is tossed out after Jess is retracted from the field. The ball pops open, and Bead materializes. He looks around, and even he looks dumbfounded to see Casey on the opposing side of the field. Based on the white-knuckled tightening of Casey's grip on the device's strap, he's certain this one isn't a Zorua at least.

"Ginger," he says, voice shaky but expression determined. The Buneary leaps down from his shoulder with grace, eyes glowing amber in a way that's clearly not due to Pepper's flickering firelight.

"Confuse Ray!" is what Gwen shouts, and Bead cautiously complies. His eyes glow red, and two energy spheres that orbit each-other are conjured up, drifting their way towards the Buneary, who is almost forcibly captivated by the sight. Rather than making immediate contact with her, the orbs circle Ginger and are absorbed into her body. And that's all it takes for Ginger's focus to shift, staring dizzily somewhere to Bead's left and launching a Jump Kick in entirely the wrong direction.

"Perfect opportunity for us Bead! Use Psywave!" A ray of psychic rings is shot at Ginger as she skids across the floor, knocking her fully over and sending her tumbling back to Casey. Her trainer catches her mid-roll, quickly shoving a berry into her little mouth and tossing her gently back into the fray.

Ginger's cleared eyes narrow and she hisses at Bead, and Gwen begins to wish she asked Casey for some berries before this whole mess started.

"Psywave again!" Bead repeats his previous attack, albeit less confidently, but aims the psychic attack at Ginger regardless. But Ginger unhindered is a Buneary with nimble, quick footwork boosted even moreso by Quick Attack. She dances past the rings with ease and launches upward, arcing above Bead to slam her bodyweight into him and drag him to the ground, shoving him into the cement floor. Casey lets out a long breath, tension dropping from his frame.

Gwen stands frozen, jaw hanging to her feet. She's seen how rowdy Ginger is, but she expected Casey would be too frightened with Bead out to actually do anything. Half her team had been swiftly taken out, and as much as she doesn't want to send him out, Tusk really is the only one who can stand up to Ginger. After having Bead retreat, she grabs another Pokeball that she gazes at with hesitation before tossing it forward.

"Tusk, I choose you!"

The Axew materializes on the cement floor, and instinctively roars a mighty "KEW KEW!" He takes in his surroundings and spots Ginger. Without any consideration, the sight of a prior foe causes him to hastily charge forward and charge draconic energy through his claws, getting in close enough to make contact. Ginger wastes no time in jumping straight up, angling to put a foot directly into Tusk's skull. This is nothing new to him of course, and he leaves his jaw wide open for Ginger to once again land in. But this time, Tusk squeals as electricity crackles through her fuzzy foot and down his gullet. It's nothing too bad- after all, his dragon typing resists electric attacks- and he forcefully snaps his upper jaw down tightly onto her foot. Tusk finds out first hand that his Bite attack has been upgraded into a Crunch as his pointed teeth sink deep into her fur. Ginger hisses and writhes, free foot kicking Tusk repeatedly in the side of his head as she tries to pry his jaws apart. Tusk aggressively spits her foot out, shakes his head, and strikes the Buneary in front of her with a single hit of a Dual Chop. A quick spinning kick counters the first hit, then the second, though the latter comes with a wince as Ginger's bitten ankle is put through its paces- a perfect opening for Tusk to chop at her from both sides. But once again, she jumps straight up and over, landing just behind him to spin two successive kicks into his backside. Tusk stumbles forward, but quickly turns around, ready to land another Dual Chop. A dart to the right and a crackling ear in the side is what he gets instead, and static surges through his body when he lands to the ground.

Shit! He's paralyzed!

Gwen contemplates returning Tusk, but her stubbornness prevents her from making the choice, and her Axew is no different. Despite his limbs growing stiff, he stands back on his own two feet, and he grits his teeth while marching forward against the weight of the static slowing his movements. He raises a claw, and charges minimal draconic energy through it- paralysis might have made it more difficult to tap into that source. It certainly doesn't help with pinning down the nimble bunny, who gets behind him again and kicks out the back of his knees. The dragon-type yelps and falls, but takes advantage of his stumbling state by turning around and just barely manages to swipe his sharp claws across Ginger- something that gives Gwen a slight glimmer of hope.

The swipe hits true and the Buneary rolls, but it's not enough to truly unbalance her. Mid-roll she uses her ears to spring into the air, and the residual electricity stalls Tusk's movements long enough that her foot can come down square on top of his head. Unable to retaliate, Tusk braces himself, but is still knocked out with the full impact of Jump Kick.

Something doesn't seem right here.

How the hell is Casey winning so easily when Gwen won handily last time? It's not hard to exploit Tusk's weaknesses, but it doesn't make sense why Ginger didn't try this strategy in their previous battle. Could it be that Casey…

Gwen tightens her fist and puts in all her strength into the throw she uses to send Pix out to battle. A bright orb resembling the sun forms in a non-functioning light bulb that hangs overhead as a product of her Drought ability, and Parsley behind Casey happily prances and glows both green and gold. It's not the grass-type that replaces Ginger though, of course not- it's Pepper, rushing in with both sticks at the ready. Fire against fire seems like a weird match-up, but Gwen makes sure to watch out for Staff Rush.

"Pix, Confuse Ray!" The fox Pokémon opens her mouth to spit a Confuse Ray towards Pepper, just like Bead did against Ginger. But this time, Casey's on top of it- instructing Pepper to close his eyes, and fire Ember blindly into the room.

But that can't be Ember, even boosted by Pix's Drought that couldn't be possible, not for this bursting jet of fire to heat and light the whole room. Parsley and Ginger, behind Casey, duck around the door as Casey's wide eyes take in the sheer amount of fire and his lips move frantically under the rushing roar. Gwen's eyes widen as well, although she experiences a rush of excitement at the sight rather than fear.

"Pix, Fire Spin!"

Pix recognizes how terrible of an idea this is, but with the demanding tone of voice Gwen has, there's no defying her. A ball of fire is launched from her mouth, and to the surprise of both Pix and Gwen, it absorbs the flames that Pepper spews. The Unovian trainer stares at the fire orb in awe as it hits the ground around Pepper and explodes into a hazardous spiral of flames that consumes Pepper, completely unaware of just how dangerous the vortex is.

"Rush!" Casey's voice cracks, frantic command echoing above the crackling roar, and Pepper opens his eyes and pushes through the whirling flames, determinedly but ineffectively cutting through the burning air. Completely oblivious to the gravity of the situation, Gwen orders Pix to further fuel the Fire Spin with Incinerate- although unbeknownst to her trainer, she purposefully decreases her attack output. "The hell are you doing?!" Casey yells, starting to back away from the battlefield himself. "Pepper, knock her out-!"

The Charmeleon rushes forward, sticks slamming into Pix's jaw and side. She skids back, but stands her ground. With Pepper freed from the Fire Spin, the flaming vortex gradually dies down.

"This isn't gonna work! Pix, use Roar!"

The Vulpix does her best to sound loud and intimidating, and her efforts pay off when Pepper's Pokeball activates. Casey's "wait!" means nothing as Pepper is forcibly removed from the room, leaving the fading fires and single lightbulb as the only sources of light. At least, until Parsley rounds the corner once more, green light pulsing through his pelt as he tosses Ginger to Casey and canters into Pix, sending her flying back.

"PIX!!"

All she can do is watch Pix passed out on the ground in a mix of anger and despair. The realization that she only has one Pokémon left starts to sink in, and if Jess, Tusk, or Pix struggled this much, she might as well throw in the towel. But that's unthinkable with the state of the wildlife on the line. Her Vulpix is sent back to her Pokeball, and Gwen grabs her final Pokeball, takes a deep gulp, and throws it in front of her. Custard makes her entrance, and appears as timid as ever when seeing her opposition.

"D-don't be nervous, Custard!" Gwen says nervously. "Use, uhh, Double Team!" The Pikachu obeys, running around in a circle at a top speed, appearing to have created copies of herself. Parsley looks as if he wants to chase her, but Casey calls him back and sends Ginger instead, whose eyes glow as she tracks Custard's movements.

"Thundershock!" Custard's cheeks crackle and a jolt of electricity strikes Ginger, who shakes it off easily and speeds through Custard's copies, dispersing them one by one until she slams into Custard herself at full speed. The Pikachu goes flying, the weight of her body smashing into the nearest wall, and creates a dent in it from the force she was struck with. It wouldn't come as much of a shock to anyone if any bones were broken.

"CUSTARD!!!" Gwen screams at the top of her lungs, running up to the mouse Pokémon and scooping her up in her arms. "Custard, are you okay!?!? Custard, I'm so sorry, I should have been more careful…" Her eyes seal shut as a mechanism to prevent any tears from escaping.

The flash of a PokéBall reintroduces Pepper's steady flame to the dark room. "C'mon," says Casey. "We gotta leave."

"How…" Gwen wipes below her eyes as her thoughts begin to clear. "How the hell did you lose last time but win this time?"

Casey pauses in the doorway only for a second, impatience bleeding through into curt explanations. "It was practise. Come on, you're out of Pokémon and we can't stay down here."

"Practice!? Hurriedly, she follows him, still spewing out her stream of consciousness. "What do you mean practice, are you saying th-that you-" The thought had crossed her mind mid-battle, but the reality is something she wishes she wasn't faced with. In utter disbelief, the words fail to roll off her tongue, but after enough stuttering she's able to get it out.

"Are you saying you went easy on me?"

Casey leads them swiftly past- thankfully- still-sleeping Pokémon, long strides making it rather difficult for Gwen to keep pace, but she still can hear his dismissive huff. "It was practise. No point in pushin' them so hard for practise. You might get stronger if you work so hard you faint ev'ry time, but what's that actually doin'? Do you know? I do. In people, it makes for longer and rougher recovery. Gotta be the same for Pokémon. Not t' mention what it does to mental health."

He turns to face her, as they finally clear the hall of sleeping Pokémon. "I didn't go easy on you. I went easy on them." His wide gesture encompasses his three Pokémon and Gwen's belt, where her array of PokéBalls rest. "It ain't the same."

"B-but you're a Pokemon trainer! Isn't that what we do, fight each-other to the point of not taking it anymore!? I mean, come the fuck on, this is the same shit Beaumont pulled off!!"

Casey's mouth twitches into a frown, but he shakes his head anyway. "You think an official gym leader who's meant to test us to our limits goin' easy for no good reason is the same as a classmate doin' a bit of mutual trainin'? That's like sayin' that playin' a professional basketball game is the same as a half hour pick-up game after school. Makes no sense."

Casey turns back around and strides ahead. They're almost at the stairs. That was surprisingly quick.

"So fucking what if we're not professionals, shouldn't we be practicing like we are!?!? That's our goddamn job, isn't it!? That's what Jenny said, give it your all! I don't care if this isn't an official match! What kind of Pokemon trainer holds back!?"

"You think athletes push themselves to the max every time they practise?" Casey asks, but doesn't wait for an answer. "We don't. We shouldn't. 'S bad for the body. We work hard, we work really hard, but we don't go all out all the time. 'Cause that's not how we get stronger." He ushers Parsley up the stairs first, Pepper stationed between himself and Gwen to light the way. "I'm a Pokémon trainer. I train 'em to work hard, improve their capabilities, and use their techniques effectively. Same way I train myself. I'm in charge of them, and they gotta trust me to do right by 'em. So I'm gonna do that the best way I know."

"I don't train them to fight themselves to their breaking point no matter the circumstance. I won't. Not even Ginger, and she wants to."

Said Buneary huffs and sulks atop Casey's shoulder, but that only re-enforces the truth of his statement. She can't argue with anything he's said, as much as she wants to. In fact, a lot of what he's dropped is very reminiscent of what Doryu told her, albeit very simplified. In fact, Bethany probably also said something about that…

Gwen goes silent, and follows an equally quiet Casey up another staircase, balancing her thoughts while their feet tap against the stairs.

Goddamnit, Casey is right! Not only that, but she's made a fool of herself in-front of her first friend.

The little group arrives back at the main factory floor. The recognizable details and dim, filtered light from the cloudy sky make it easy for them to retrace their steps and leave the way they entered, Casey leading them back up onto the catwalk. Gwen pays no mind to this of course, and just further combs over her thoughts.

Speaking of Casey being her first friend actually… Were they still friends? Casey spoke with such a sternness Gwen hadn't seen from him before, not something she'd ever associate with friendly behavior. She might have just thrown everything they built up out the window.

The roof access stairwell is still open and clear, and Casey's steady strides make quick work of that last flight, which is a complete mystery to Gwen and her aching legs. Even if she's slowly adjusting to all the walking, her legs still need some work. She's about to call out for Casey to wait up, but a sudden tap on her shoulder puts her into panic mode, and she quickly turns around to

"WAAA- Oh, w-wait, it's just you…"

Behind her stands a Malamar, the same exact one Ray was accompanied with, although the stubbly man is nowhere to be seen. "Jeez, don't scare me like that! But where is Ray? He just up and left me downstairs."

Malamar, being a Pokémon, doesn't give an answer- although based on his expression, it doesn't look like he would even if he could talk. The Malamar just grins and extends a tentacle out to Gwen as if he wants to shake hands, certainly a strange sight for the Overturning Pokémon. She reluctantly accepts, but is still confused.

"Uhh, thanks I guess, but seriously, where did Ray go?"

A voice calls out to her, but of course it doesn't belong to the Malamar. "Gwen!" Casey's sharp tone echoes down the stairs. "C'mon, you still ain't got any Pokémon to protect you. Keep up."

She can hear his exasperation even from here, and she jumps while instinctively letting out a "Sorry!" Gwen quickly turns around to say goodbye to the Malamar and hurries up the stairs, occasionally looking back to see Ray's Malamar waving at her goodbye. Weird.

When she finally breaches the roof, blinking even in the grey light, Casey is already at the fire escape. Phone at his ear, he nods along as he speaks, though the person on the other end of the line obviously can't see him. Gwen doesn't catch anything but a sign-off as he hangs up on whoever. Glancing around has him making eye contact with Gwen for the first time since the basement.

"Viveka says to go back without her," he says, still curt and abrupt. Gwen nervously nods before impulsively deciding to drop the question.

"H-hey Casey?" She speaks up to grab his attention as he taps Parsley's forehead with his PokéBall, apparently not inclined to try dropping the Skiddo off the building. Pepper goes the same way, though not without complaint.

"Yeah?"

"Ar-are we still f-f-friends? Because you sounded all mad and I wasn't sure if that meant you still liked me and, well not like like, but y'know, I was just really unsure if you still wanted to be friends after all that, and, and, and, and…"

Casey stares at her, one leg over the edge of the roof. "Uh."

He looks like he doesn't know what to say, so he moves instead- swings the rest of his body over and clambers down a few rungs, pausing at a level where he can fold his arms over the low wall of the roof. "It's like this," he says, finally. "I know you don't have a lot of friends and stuff but it's like. Friends are friends. You can be friends and be mad at each other, or friends and disagree. It's hard when you don't agree on important stuff. Or when your friends do stuff you don't like. Or when they do stuff that… hurts you. But that's part of bein' people, right? An' if you wanna stay friends you gotta figure it out. But sometimes it takes some time."

He sighs. "I'm hungry an' I'm not super happy with what you said and did an' I want a shower an' we still have to walk a ways. We're still friends. I just don't really wanna hang out right now. But we're kinda stuck together for the next hour anyway. So maybe I walk ahead of you, 'cause I'm faster, and maybe we both hang out with our Pokémon instead of each other. I got some berries. You can prob'ly give one or two of them enough energy to walk with you. 'S that gonna work?"

"So… you're saying we're still friends?" Gwen's face lights up with joy and cheerfully jitters around as most of what Casey said basically flies over her head. Those three words are all she needs to hear for her spirits to raise.

"Yeah. Still friends."

Gwen's team
    037.png
    610.png
    025.png
    024.png
    200.png
    195.png

Years
  • Gwen Alanis
    May 25th, Sunday, Noon

After everything that just happened that morning, Gwen has a few questions for Doctor Quartz. Ray brought up a lot of interesting things about those machines, and apparently he has some kind of past relationship with Quartz? Now that she's faced with the doctor and ready to pick up her reward, she's not sure where to start- as well as not sure how to approach the topic. If Ray's hypothesis is correct, she's ready to speak her mind, but she's absolutely terrified of having Casey be any more annoyed with her.

"Uh, hey Doc." Gwen speaks up, trying to monitor her tone. "I need to ask you something."

"Oh? Is it about my Technical Machine collection? I have a vast array of them, so it can be overwhelming-"

"N-no, actually, I uh…" Gwen scratches the back of her head and exhales. "What's up with the machines?"

Quartz gives a quizzical expression. "That's a very broad question. Could you be more specific?"

"I think the machines are hurting the Pokémon." She's gotten straight to the point. "Like, I think they get a lot more aggressive, and they might fuck with their growth or something."

"What are you saying?"

"I mean, like, I saw this one Elektross, and it was really weird! It was super long, probably like ten times the size of an average Elektross! Something is up with those machines!"

"Is that so? That's a fascinating observation…" Quartz leans over to grab a clipboard and begins jotting down information. "Maybe they're adapting to the environment? I'll definitely further research with the new data collected."

"Okay, but like I don't think that's a good thing… I uh, I met this one guy in the factory and he said the radio waves of whatever were messing things up."

"This one guy?" The doctor repeats looking slightly irritated. "What is there of value in what 'this one guy' says? I've been researching this for years now, so unless you or this other person have any academic credibility on the subject, I'm not interested."

Jeez. Quartz didn't seem anywhere near this harsh until now. "But I saw it with my own two eyes! The Pokémon living there were constantly trying to attack me and Ray!"

Quartz's face goes pale. "What did you just say?"

"Oh, I guess I forgot to say who Ray was. He said he knew you actually, and I was gonna ask about him."

The doctor stands completely silent, and after a full minute buries their forehead in their palm.

"Wh-what? Did you get in a fight with him or something?"

"Please describe this character for me."

That was a weird way to dodge the question. "Uhh, he was a big guy and he looked like he was middle aged or something. He's probably old enough to be my dad, and he had a really bad stubble. And he-"

"Was accompanied with a Malamar." Gwen is briefly thrown off by the doctor interrupting to finish her sentence before they take a deep breath. "That would be a perfectly accurate description of Dr. Raymond Beem- or 'Ray', as he had us call him. Ray… was a research partner and friend of mine, a very good one at both of those. He always tried warning me when he thought my research was going too far, but he didn't understand what needed to be done."

Gwen starts to worry she's hit a sensitive note. "Oohhh, so I guess you did fight?"

Quartz blankly stares Gwen in the eyes. "Ray passed away years ago."

Disbelief and confusion consumes the girl's thoughts, and she struggles to form any sort of response. "Wh-what!?!? You're kidding, right!?!? Th-this is all just an elaborate joke, that's gotta be it!!"

The doctor's head is again placed in their palm. Arthur rushes in from behind, setting down a sheet of snickerdoodles on a nearby desk. "Quartz, is everything alright!?"

"Thanks Arthur, but I'm fine. I just have a headache…" Quartz marches out of the room, still holding their head. "I need to take some pain-killers and I'll be fine. Gwen, take any one Technical Machine that you'd like."

This isn't making any sense. How could someone who died years ago make himself visible to Gwen like that??? What was he, some kind of ghost?? Even if that is the case, it doesn't explain Malamar; She knows Malamar is real, she shook his tentacle! And how would a ghost have a flashlight on the-

Wait a second. Malamar. Something about that Pokémon might come into play here. Now seems like a good time to dig up her Pokedex she's neglected to use up until now.

Fortunately her run-in with the wild Malamar and Ray's have filled in some blanks. Gwen scrolls down to the section of its entry detailing disputed claims about the Overturning Pokémon, reading many listings of the supposed hypnosis power the dark-type has. One entry in particular seems to take this to a bizarre extreme.

It's said that Malamar's hypnotic powers played a role in certain history-changing events.

Even if researchers have apparently contested this like crazy, Gwen can't help but think there's at least some sort of inkling of truth to this. If Ray was just an illusion conjured up by a Malamar that fills in the blanks, as eerie the implications were, but that still doesn't answer how the hell this Malamar knew Ray and his relation to Doctor Quartz.

This isn't something she really wants to think about though. There's a sort of betrayal she experiences from finding out that apparently this guy just wasn't real, and she'd like to take her mind off that. Perhaps this is an appropriate time to pick out her Technical Machine from the overwhelming collection.

There's probably enough TMs to fill out the movesets of all her Pokémon, but being limited to one makes the decision all the more stressful. Instead of spending all day deciding which TM to take, she falls back on an old method- Closing her eyes and moves her hand back and forward before blindly picking up a disc. She peeks her eyes open and examines the silver disc as she reads off the label.

"Hey, Iron Tail! Not bad!" This should come in handy for Tusk. His attacks are mainly limited to what he can do with his claws and jaw, and this not only helps expand where he can attack from, but also his type coverage- the steel type attack can obliterate both ice and fairy-types, two types that are super effective against Tusk. Of course, there is an issue with this-

Tusk's tail is incredibly short.

Sure, it'll grow as he evolves, but that's still awhile away. How useful is it really when his tail is shorter than his already stubby arms?

Gwen's eyes suddenly light up as a solution comes to her. She'll use it as a counter! For example, instead of having Tusk rush in as usual, she'll order him to stay still and hit incoming foes with his tail- basically just a different version of Doryu's technique. All that discipline and kung fu stuff really doesn't fit Tusk.

With that figured out, all that's left for her to do is train Tusk to do this- although of course that's easier said than done. Hopefully not having to use such a restrictive stance wouldn't cause him to break like when up against Jarmie's Golett.

Gwen's team
    037.png
    610.png
    025.png
    024.png
    200.png
    195.png

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Casey Holt
    Sunday, May 26, 2019 // Noonish, Day 7
    Route 12 // East Kanto Research Station
    6-19. break

Casey doesn't feel like himself.

There are many things he could probably attribute this uncomfortable, itchy, irritable mood to. Hunger, now that they're approaching lunchtime. Two nights of late bedtimes and one morning of rising ultra-early, perhaps. That's never good for him. Or maybe it's the energy he's been directing toward dealing with Ghosts. Maybe that's draining him faster than normal. Or a morning of babysitting Gwen is doing that. He's not quite sure how she's made it her whole life being so…

He doesn't know what, really. Impulsive? He's impulsive, too. Unprepared? He's never prepared for anything. Inattentive? His attention span isn't on the incredible side. Maybe the difference is that he can handle anything that comes his way, whether by strength or brains. That he actually assesses situations, and gauges the best course of action, rather than sticking to his guns. That he doesn't let his Pokémon get knocked completely out in a hostile environment just to prove some stupid point.

He should've refused to battle, actually. Just walked back out of the factory instead. What would she have been able to do about it? Nothing.

But he'd been sure he could beat her fairly. Even though he hadn't expected her to break her promise and sic Bead on him. Even though she pulled her full team when she knew he only had three. Even though Pepper's fire went haywire. He hadn't expected it, but he'd handled it. For the sake of returning the device to Quartz. For the sake of ending things more quickly and with more finality than with an argument. For the sake of getting out of that dark, dank factory full of hostile Pokémon.

For the sake of shaking off this heaviness on his brow and tight, crawling tension between his shoulderblades.

But that hasn't left him, even after the gloomy morning chill fades from his skin and Arthur's buttery pastries do something in terms of nourishment. Even as he compares Quartz's offered TMs to the PokéDex's list of those compatible with Buneary, even as he tunes out Gwen's wild ranting to Quartz- through it all, the dull ache of his ribs echoes into his very soul.

He says goodbye to Gwen after she chooses her own TM. She wants to get going, and he's not going to make her wait.

He cooks lunch, quietly. Arthur works nearby, but doesn't hover.

He eats, still quiet. Parsley and Pepper sit as close to him as they possibly can. Ginger's gaze bores into him.

He takes a shower and stares blankly at the tile until Pepper braves the warm spray to nudge him, bringing him back to reality.

For a moment.

He pulls on fresh clothes and packs his bag properly. It's not until his last check of the bathroom and a flash of light blue in the mirror that he realizes what shirt he's chosen.

Suddenly, the ache in his chest isn't just his ribs anymore.

Warmth floods back through him, sending the palms of his hands and soles of his feet tingling- he hadn't realized he was cold. He blinks away the beginnings of tears as something in his brain shifts into gear and he shucks his backpack, slamming it to the ground and frantically plunging his hand into one of the deep side pockets. PokéDex, PokéDex, where- ah!

Data for- Grimmsnarl, yes- and techniques- naturally learned- there!

There it is.

A Fairy type attack. Learned upon evolution.

Spirit Break.

Casey breathes out slowly, shaking hand clenching his shirt above his ribs, cheap rubbery screenprint catching on the pads of his fingers. That's it. That's what it was. Hit an opponent so hard they lose their will to fight, huh? No wonder. No wonder he was so drained. No wonder he shut Gwen down so quickly. No wonder he just didn't want to deal with anything.

He rubs his eyes, not particularly concerned with the tears falling from them. Emotions are good. "Hey," he sniffles, and his Pokémon stare at him from the bathroom door. "Let's, uh. I think a nap would be good before we go."

Pepper Bomb • Charmeleon • lv35 | Ginger • Buneary • lv33 | Parsley • Skiddo • lv32
    Casey's Profile | Extra Characters | TRAINERS Art | Current Chapter

Last edited:
    Years
  • Vera Hill
    Chapter 6 - The Angel From My Nightmare
    Route 12; Saturday, May 26th

The rain must have stopped at some point during the night, but the sky is still gray and oppressive, the air still thick and humid. It makes breathing difficult, like when I was a kid. And of course, the road is slick with mud and puddles, so even walking is a challenge. Can't this stupid road be easy to travel for a change?

As soon as I say that, I come across a puddle that stretches all the way across the road. Of course. But, if it was easy, it wouldn't be worth doing, right? So I back up, give myself a running start, and I jump!

I thought I could make it. But I slip when I land, and I fall to my knees, coughing and breathing heavily. My little hands sink into the soft earth, and I start shaking. It's such a simple thing, why can't I do it? Other kids don't have this-

Wait... other kids? Little hands?

I look at myself, and I'm 8 years old again. Oh... this is a dream, then. Another one of those "I'm not as good as other people" dreams. I remember hearing that dreams are just our subconscious trying to tell us something.

My subconscious is kind of a bitch, though.

I push myself back up, leaving the stupid puddle behind. I'm not a kid anymore, I'm 16! I'm an adult! And I don't have time for nightmares about not being good enough!

"Yeah, yeah. I'm trying, alright? I'm pushing myself, and I'm doing good! I even got through Rock Tunnel! Not seeing any Zubats tonight, so what else you got?"

I hear voices up ahead. Laughter. When I go to look, I see some of the others. My friends. Casey, Jordan, Arianne, and Bruno, all with their Pokémon, talking and joking amongst themselves. Is that what this is about? Not wanting them to see me in a moment of weakness? Fine, then. I approach the group.

"Hey, guys! Some day we're having, huh? This weather, right?"

Smooth, Vera. Real smooth...

The others look back at me, then turn away again. They start muttering, but I can't tell who's saying what.

"Finally deciding to talk to us?" "I thought she was too good for us peasants." "Just leave her be, guys. She's only in this for herself." "Doesn't even have her Pokémon."

Wait, what? I nervously check my belt, and my Poké Balls are gone! Where'd they go? Did I drop them in the puddle? I have to go-

"Dream, Vera, this is a dream!" I have to remind myself, but my friends are already walking away.

"Yeah, fine! Go ahead and leave! I'm used to being alone. I've always been alone! You think that scares me? Them leaving? Losing the best friends I've ever had?!"

...oh.

Vera jolts awake, almost hitting her head on the low shelf above the little bed. She's momentarily distracted by that, wondering who would design a bed with such a hazardous piece of furniture over it. What if it fell in the night? Or someone layed down too quickly without seeing it? It's a bad place for a shelf.

...something woke her, but she can't quite remember what. Early morning light is starting to shine through the window, maybe that was it? She can vaguely recall a dream, but...

She shakes her head, getting out of the borrowed bed. Sapphire immediately moves to curl up where Vera had been laying, the bed still warm with her body heat. Vera checks on her other Pokémon, who are still asleep for the most part.

The thought of breakfast with her hosts doesn't appeal to her, as she assumes they'll serve something similarly greasy and disgusting as last night's meal. So instead, she fills the coffee pot with water, putting it on the stove to heat. A nice cup of tea and an instant noodle cup will do nicely for breakfast, and she'll be on her way.

She takes a seat at the little table while she waits for the water to boil. Iggy would be up by now, she thinks. Pretty sure he never sleeps. It's quiet without him around...

So she sits in silence, and she finds she doesn't enjoy it as much as she once did.

Sadder-Vera-v2.png

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024

Chapter 7: Route 11
    Starting date May 26th, Sunday

Spoiler:

Route 11 is the freak route of Kanto. Scientists theorize that the reason for this area being so dry - a Savannah in the south and an almost desert-like environment in the north, bordering a small mountain range with the Route 12 swamp on the other side - could be because of some pokémon powers. Others claim that there are rather powers that make the jungles in southern Kanto drain the moisture from here.

Numerous water holes are littered around the southern side of the route, and pokémon acclimatized to this environment still seem to thrive though. Tourist agencies from Vermilion flock the route and you're very likely to encounter some groups. They claim that Route 11 is the pokémon-friendly version of the enclosed Safari Zone park of Fuchsia.

If you go straight, you will reach Vermilion before the end of the Sunday if you leave the East Kanto Research Station at noon latest. However, there are so many pokémon to see, so can you really go straight through? ;)

WHAT TO FIND HERE

- Pokémon! Oh, so many pokémon.

- Tourists! Oh, too many tourists. They come in electric buses along dirt roads or by foot from Vermilion. Most pokémon don't really seem to mind much though - the agencies are very keen on treating them well and leaving them be.

- Trainers from Vermilion practicing or capturing wild pokémon - usually while still being respectful to them.

EVENTS / PROMPTS

NATURAL ORDER: May 26th / OPTIONAL
    - You encounter an individual or a group of people who don't respect the agencies' rules (they are not in the company of any guide anyways, from what you can see). They are disturbing the wild pokémon in ways that go beyond simply battling them to capture them. As a responsible respectable pokémon trainer, you better step in and get them to stop!

- Reward? A member from the Vermilion Pokémon Fanclub actually saw what you did, and gives you a Gold Star Voucher card, saying it will be very good to have in Vermilion! You're not sure for what, but perhaps you ought to seek out this fanclub organization once you get there.

- Alternative? Join the people in bothering the wild pokémon. They'll think you're good fun and give you an Evolution Item they found that they don't need (maybe they're too stupid to realize they could sell it or trade it, but if you don't need it yourself, perhaps you can!). It's up to you and the story you weave if they tell you about the item before or after the bothering is done. Unfortunately, a member from the Pokémon Fanclub sees this... Hopefully you didn't need them for anything.

UNSAFETY DANCE: May 26th / OPTIONAL
    - You bear witness to wild pokémon attacking some tourists. They need your help!

- Reward? The tour guide or a thankful tourist gives your pokémon expensive treats that are rumored to boost their stats a bit. Do they really work?

- Alternative? For some reason, you don't intervene. Uh. You realize there's a big chance the wild pokémon will come after you next, right?

POKÉMON FOR CAPTURE
    Hover for movesets. All are approximately Lv 17-18. You may choose to encounter the previous stage of an evolved wild pokémon if you wish, and then have it evolve at your leisure.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024

[tab=backtostory4]
      pXQwypF.png
      [/tab] [tab=pkmn4]
      TZlRJnc.png
      [/tab] [tab=inv4]
      NRQmvtP.png
      [/tab]

6-3: East Kanto Bakery

🔬 East Kanto Research Station
    🕙 May 25th, Afternoon

The warmth and delicious smells coming from within were very inviting, as was the man who'd answered the door. Even Spirit had decided to grace them with his presence, but Jordan had a feeling the cookies and other baked goods offered to them must have played a larger part in that than anything.

The older man, who'd introduced himself as Arthur, had promptly shown Jordan to the kitchen, where he dumped out his slightly stale water for a cold, clean refill. He was a little embarrassed by the fervor with which his Pokémon scarfed down the pastries, but Arthur insisted he had them in abundance and was working on more, so they were welcome to help themselves.

He wandered around just outside the kitchen, looking at some of the lab equipment with a cookie in hand, and his water bottle in the other. Unlike the bottomless pits that were his Pokémon, he was not particularly hungry after the sandwich he ate earlier, but he took some to be polite anyway, and they were pretty good.

Arthur had told him many Trainers pass through and even stay at this facility, but that didn't appear to be the case currently. It was still pretty early in the day, though - it sounded like most Trainers come here to stay the night, so that was probably why. It was quiet in the lab, with only the gentle ticking of the oven timer, occasionally punctured by the sounds of his own Pokémon. And beeping noises from various machines around the lab. One such device sat on a counter in front of him - it had no screen, but several coloured buttons. Curiously, he reached out with one hand, and...

"Sfogliatelle?"

Jordan choked on his water, turning around. "I'm... I'm sorry?"

Arthur was behind him with a smile, and another plate of pastries. "Oh! My apologies, I didn't mean to startle you. Sfogliatelle," He repeated that word again, which confirmed to Jordan he meant to say that and was not having a stroke of some sort, at least. He gestured towards the plate. "Fresh from the oven just now, please help yourself if you would like."

"Oh, thank you." Jordan stuffed the rest of the cookie in his mouth to free his hand for a s'vogue-lee-a-tell.

He was starting to wonder if this was, in fact, the East Kanto Research Station, as Arthur had called it, and not just the East Kanto Bakery. If it weren't for the general appearance of the lab and the shiny equipment around, he certainly would have assumed that was the case. He got closer to inspect the beeping device once again. He wasn't going to push any of the buttons, but prodded it gently.

"Ah - please don't touch that." The old man's voice was still gentle, but with a sternness to it he'd not heard from him until now.

"Hey, that's alright, Arthur - let him look around! You don't think my machines are that shoddy or easily damaged, do you?"

An individual with purple hair and glasses had popped into the room as Jordan was checking out the equipment, holding a stack of documents in one hand, and a coffee mug in the other.

Arthur chuckled. "No, of course not, but the lad's been sampling my pastries, so his fingers might be a bit buttery, is all."

They shrugged, brushing past them to put down their mug and snatch up a pastry for themselves, before quickly wiping their fingers on their hoodie and turning around to face Jordan.

"This is Doctor Quartz," Arthur introduced them with a fond expression on his face. "Doctor Quartz, Jordan."

Doctor Quartz smiled and put down their documents to shake his hand. "How do you do? I'm the primary Pokémon researcher of this lab."

"Oh- hello, it's very nice to meet you. I'm... Jordan," the boy said, a little awkwardly since Arthur already introduced him by name, and he did not have a cool title to go by. Student? Trainer? Trainer. "I'm a journeying Trainer."

Quartz picked back up and sipped from their coffee mug, nodding approvingly at him with mild interest. "Ah, so you are! Cape or Safari?"

"Cape! Just passing through the area to the next city. It's, uh, an impressive lab you are running up here," Jordan commented vaguely. He wasn't entirely sure what it is they do up here or what any of the devices and data he has seen so far meant, but it was Pokémon-related research, so that must be pretty exciting.

"Why, thank you! There used to be more of us running this place, but nowadays, it's mostly just me and Arthur up here. And Trainers like you passing through, of course."

Jordan nodded as he listened. "So... You make Pokémon gadgets here?" He asked, still trying to get a better feel for the nature of their work.

Quartz laughed lightly. "Yes, and no, I suppose - a lot of my gadgets are designed for and related to my research, which is largely focused on the environmental factors affecting our local Pokémon here these days, but I do have some more general-use stuff lying around." They pointed to a different device on the table. "That, for example, is a TM - you can use them to teach your Pokémon specific moves! This one iiis..." They flipped it around to examine the words scrawled on the label. "Solar Beam!"

Technical Machine. Jordan remembered reading about those. Pretty cool.

"Pretty cool, right?" Quartz asked, like they'd read his mind. "You want one?"

"Oh, um - yeah?" Jordan answered hesitantly, a little thrown off by how casually they'd asked. There must be a catch.

"There is a catch, of course," Jordan looked at them, bewildered. That's two for two, get out of my head. He thought to himself, as they continued with a wink. "Not a huge deal for a Trainer like yourself, but it's something I've been having a little trouble with since, well, I don't have any Pokémon. What I do have are a bunch of data collection devices like this one..."

They scurried off to retrieve a sizeable and somewhat heavy-looking machine with a carrying strap attached, before setting it down on the table with a clank. "And I kind of need help getting them back. You passed by a bunch of old buildings on your way here, right? They're just around there. Don't worry, I do have the locations mapped out so it won't be a wild goose chase. Just a pretty simple in-and-out mission."

Jordan looked at the device dubiously. "Well, if it's so simple, why can't you do it?"

"Like I said, I don't have any Pokémon of my own - the wild Pokémon there are... shall we say, a little territorial. Don't seem to like me very much. Shame, I'm quite fond of them. Anyway! So I have all these machines out there, collecting data on these Pokémon for my work, but I just can't get them back. Think you can help?"

"I-I guess so-" Jordan began - he couldn't help but feel like there was more to this little mission, but the prospect of earning a TM was pretty exciting, and the doctor had already taken his 'maybe' for a 'yes' with no hesitation before he could voice his concerns.

"Great! Thanks so much. Hand over that PokeGear and I'll show you where to go. Take as long as you need to rest up and get ready, and Arthur, be a dear and help him get set up with some food and whatever else he may need - it's the least we can do for his help."

Party

tangela.gif

Tangles
    Tangela | F | Lvl. 17

Ingrain
    Constrict
    Absorb
    Vine Whip
    Sleep Powder
    Poison Powder

n8QNQVi.gif

Hop
    Pidgeotto | M | Lvl. 18

Headbutt
    Whirlwind
    Gust
    Mirror Move
    Roost
    Wing Attack

cubone.gif

Spirit
    Alolan Cubone | M | Lvl. 14

Leer
    Growl
    Bone Club
    Headbutt
    Swords Dance

eedTN6Z.gif

Sage
    Skiddo | F | Lvl. 15

Tackle
    Growth
    Vine Whip
    Play Nice
    Razor Leaf
    Leech Seed

5WGxc0q.gif

Tiny
    Pumpkaboo | F | Lvl. 19

Razor Leaf
    Shadow Sneak
    Confuse Ray
    Scary Face
    Worry Seed
    Trick-or-Treat​

Inventory

- Pokédex
    - Pokégear
    - 2-person tent
    - Tangles' plant
    - Container of berries

moon-stone.png
    Moon Stone

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years
  • art by Aquacorde
    Arianne Chandler
    Route 12, Dead Factories

Symbiont, pt. 1

Whatever's coming after me is swimming through the air like Huntail swims in the water, turning and waving around trees effortlessly. With my current running speed, it catches up in no time and gives me no option but to fight back, and yet I try to delay that moment for as long as I can.

Rogue Pokémon should still stay away from the device I'm carrying on my shoulder, right? Even the Golduck from before was trying to hit it from a distance, using Water Pulse or Confusion. Rogue Pokémon should also have some heart not to attack a girl like this, right? I have some more doubts about this one part, seeing as how Golduck was behaving when I tried to jump off the building and get away, but I can always hope.

Yes, everything is going to end well, and soon. This chapter of my adventure is only a few lines longer before reaching the conclusion I want, and I will get my "quest completed" achievement in no time. Protagonists always w-

"Aaah!" I yelp as what seems like a huge claw hits me and makes me tumble down ruinously. One more hit knocks me further away into a muddy puddle, and never have I felt more uneasy inside what could probably act as my natural element. Mere seconds later, Eric comes out, ready to face the menacing silhouette that the last sun rays are still discerning.

His Protect buys me time, letting me call out my other two healthy Pokémon: Lulu and Honedge. It also lets me set my eyes onto the enemy: a large, fuse-shaped monstrosity with fins, claws, and… luminous, blinking dots all over its body. From such a thing, I couldn't expect anything less but hitting a girl with no remorse and without any care for the device she's carrying.

I can feel my soaked hair weighing me down as I try to lift my head, but that lets me see Honedge and Eric working together, trying to combine Metal Sound and Water Pulse to hit the Rogue Pokémon. The pond is actually giving my starter just a tiny bit more energy, and that's enough to give me a bit more hope as well - not all is lost.

The enemy answers with what is undoubtedly a Zap Cannon attack. It hits the ground close to me, dissipating in a storm of crackles and sparks as Eric barely dodges and hits back with another Water Pulse. Lulu jumps into action as well, her mushroom caps erupting in a cloud of Sleep Powder which barely numbs down the "Huntail".

It tries to float above all those spores, gaining some height effortlessly and elegantly… not really. For being a levitating Pokémon, it looks oddly shaky, unable to move straight up or with a constant speed. It only makes it angrier.

A Zap Cannon comes straight for me, and once again I have to resort to Eric's Protect. He flinches as he barely manages to stop the attack, looking back at me with a serious, almost resigned look. In the meantime, Lulu bounces up and goes for a surprise Astonish, making at the very least her presence known to the rogue. Her following Flash seems to have some degree of effect too, as it prevents Lulu from being hit by the enemy's claws. Crush Claw probably.

It's a matter of seconds before Eric has to help me once again, this time by jumping right inside the pond. His Rapid Spin, which at first I don't understand, actually proves essential to keep at bay the new Rogue Pokémon who shows up… through a bunch of sparks and crackles in the water.

Honedge steps in again, keeping the first rogue busy with Shadow Sneak and Fury Cutter, but one eye of mine is fixed on the muddy water behind me, where… wait, I know this one! Where a Stunfisk is swimming towards me, trying to charge up a Discharge. Eric interrupts it with a well placed Water Pulse, luckily, before ramming straight into it with Water Pulse. I'm too confused to give my Pokémon any order, and I can only be happy to have such great companions.

The battle continues as I clumsily try to get up. I make one first attempt but slip and fall again, and the pain from the rogue's claws still keeps me down. As I try to gather more of my energy for the second attempt, though, something pushes me up from below, and I almost shed a tear of happiness…

Stunfisk comes back with a vengeance, hitting a powerful Discharge after setting up an Electric terrain. The crackles spread throughout the whole pond, slowly but surely, and still… Lulu reacts in time to literally lift me out of the water with Ingrain. Eric deals with Stunfisk soon after, once again using Rapid Spin to close the distance but also surrounding himself in his own Water Pulse.

I should be glad that Lulu's Ingrain is made of mycelium and not hard, rugged tree roots. It's soft to the touch but still strong enough to not break under my weight, and it gets the job done. By holding onto it, I can finally get back up on my feet - but in order to let me do this, Lulu has chained herself to the ground.

With Eric still trying to handle Stunfisk, dancing on a wire and bringing the fight further away from me and the "Huntail" and more towards the center of the pond, I have to rely on Lulu and Honedge to protect me and the device, which I'm still holding on. It doesn't go too well though…

I notice how the rogue Pokémon is being more passive, taking all of Honedge's attacks and looking at Lulu and me from above, with an imposing expression. It's charging up some sort of attack, coiling up and glowing more and more intensely as the sunlight slowly fades away. My Pokémon's Flash doesn't seem to bother it much anymore, nor does Sleep Powder. I try to take one look at Eric to see how he's doing: both Pokémon can hit each other super effectively, and him exposing himself to this kind of danger is just admirable. He's coming out on top, from what I can see, protecting when he needs to and hitting back with Water Pulse, clearly his best attack.

But as I turn around, I see Lulu completely motionless, her light snuffed out in a single hit from the enemy's claws. I barely have time to recall her before seeing Honedge plummet straight down on the ground, after what looks like a Crunch attack from the "Huntail".

TEAM:
    wartortle.png
    Eric, lv. 28 •
    pineco.png
    Mulan, lv. 15
    pichu.png
    Alice, lv. 11 •
    bagon.png
    Mizar, lv. 17
    morelull.png
    Lulu, lv. 23 •
    honedge.png
    Honedge, lv. 16

Last edited:

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years
  • art by Aquacorde
    Arianne Chandler
    Route 12, Dead Factories

Symbiont, pt. 2

Eric comes to save me again, spinning on the water surface and gaining speed in order to hit the Rogue Pokémon with astonishing precision and messing up with its aim. The Zap Cannon flies up towards the sky and fizzles out in the air, instead of being fired towards me. A Water Pulse puts a large dent in "Huntail", especially after the Metal Sound attacks from before. I take this time to finally recall Lulu, but when I try to do the same with Honedge, I see its eye still glowing faintly. Maybe it can still fight if I give it some time to recover. Maybe…

Eric seems to know already he can't really win the fight alone. He looks very tired and uneasy already, and Stunfisk definitely put up a fight back in the pond… but he still continues, alternating Water Pulse with Protect and the occasional Rapid Spin to block the enemy attacks. I still have to be careful not to get hit by their moves though. The water drops, the crackles and sparkles, they all seem to fall around me with more and more intensity.

I look back at Honedge, and I see the cloth moving around… as if it's trying to get back up and fight. "Stop!" I immediately yell, knowing that I might still have a chance to win if I use the time Eric's buying me in the right way. "Swords Dance, if you can… please. Just… do that." I walk closer to Honedge, who stares back at me with a totally undecipherable expression. Not like it changes much, does it…

Eric's K.O. is an announced disaster. The rogue grows more and more impatient, breaks through Protect with a powerful, piercing claw attack, then follows it up with a Zap Cannon. I see my Wartortle's eyes faintly glowing pink before they close for good.

"Huntail" floats towards me, shaking as it moves through the air, and becomes more and more unsteady as it gets close to the device. It doesn't seem to attack me this time, but looks at me as if it's won already. Honedge throws itself straight at it with a powerful Shadow Sneak, moving at blistering speed, only to get pushed back with a single hit. For the second time, Honedge falls to the ground next to me.

That's the end of the chapter, right? Now that all the Pokémon in my team are defeated, I must concede defeat and give up the device for this Rogue Pokémon to destroy. I have to understand that for a Pokémon to act this way, that device must be a very big deal - and by now I should have realized that the way all these wild Pokémon acted when it's nearby… well, it means it's causing them some big problems. Plus, if there was a Pokémon who could tear the device to shreds, it's this one.

Is this that kind of story? Oh, of course not. I'm taking this personally now - I will accomplish my quest, and my effort will lead to some tangible results. This may be one turn of events too many, but I don't care anymore. I will be this thing's next opponent. I grab Honedge by the hilt and stab away at the rogue's claws coming for me. I, Arianne, am up to the challenge. I am strong!

"Huntail" now is standing on the ground, its body in tension as it makes the shape of an S. It charges up another Zap Cannon in anger - though, maybe, there's a hint of sadness in its eyes by now.

This is when I feel Honedge's cloth wrapped around my arm, just like that night at the graveyard. I start to feel weird once again and my vision goes slightly blurry, but more than anything I feel my movements being harder to control, as if something else was interfering with them. I see the orb of electricity being slashed away and disintegrate in a bunch of sparkles, but was it even me?

Honedge's eye seems to glow much brighter by now as… we lunge at the rogue Pokémon together. What I've lost in terms of perception and reflexes, Honedge seems to have gained - and so, I trust it and let it guide my arm as it hits "Huntail" with multiple Shadow Sneak attacks. The Swords Dances from before really seem to work, because I can tell the opponent is not enjoying these attacks.

I start to get a hang of how to deal with this… mystical experience after a bit. I become better at dodging this Pokémon's claw attacks and pointy teeth, and even when they end up hitting me, I'm able to endure the hit and let Honedge strike back. One more slash on the ventral side of "Huntail" eventually makes it collapse to the ground.

Honedge, Honedge! It's over! We actually won! WE WON!

I'm actually struggling genuinely to reach for Honedge's Pokéball and activate it. When I do, I feel like a burden has been lifted from me - and I feel a hundred times more tired and aching at the same time. My arm especially looks red at points, as if someone held onto it with extreme strength for a long time.

Some of the pain I'm feeling probably comes from "Huntail" too. Seeing it motionless on the ground after fighting with so much desperation makes me almost regret knocking it out. Well… some emotional moment after a hard fight is a must in many stories.

It's also true that I completed my mission, though - or, well, I'm as close as I could ever be. Just a few more steps through the forest, as the rain decreases in its intensity, and I'll be able to say I made it! But my return to Quartz's lab is the total opposite of a triumphant parade. It's a painful, eerily calm, slow crawl.

TEAM:
    wartortle.png
    Eric, lv. 28 •
    pineco.png
    Mulan, lv. 15
    pichu.png
    Alice, lv. 11 •
    bagon.png
    Mizar, lv. 17
    morelull.png
    Lulu, lv. 23 •
    honedge.png
    Honedge, lv. 16

Last edited:
    Years
  • Gwen Alanis
    May 26th, Sunday, Noon

Gwen hasn't noticed when exactly the comparatively moist coasts morphed into an incredibly dry savannah area, and quite frankly, she doesn't really care. Currently she has Tusk and Custard practicing Tusk's new attack he's learned through Dr. Quartz's TM, Iron Tail. She has the two positioned in such a way that Custard can jolt towards Tusk, who pivots his weight to slap his stubby tail- Custard uses Quick Attack to escape, of course. She'd be sent flying if she didn't, and if there's one good thing about her having such a timid nature, it's that it leaves her very prone to incoming attacks.

Bead stays out just to keep an eye on his trainer.

"Good job, both of you!" Despite the girl's enthusiasm, her Axew is anything but. Saying it's tricky is an understatement- he clearly hates the attack. Even if a light swing can cause concussions, it's so short-ranged simply due to how short his tail is.

"Alright let's try that again! Custard, rush him!" Custard dashes forward, and Tusk, frustrated he can't even hit the Pikachu to blow off steam, rotates his body and concentrates energy into his tail which solidifies into a solid coating of iron. Grunting, he aims his heavy tail right at Custard who, as expected, Quick Attacks backwards.

"Nice work!" Gwen claps, earning Tusk's ire. He turns towards his trainer, barking a flurry of "KYEW"s her way, stomping his feet against the ground like a toddler. Gwen grits her teeth and tightens her fists. "I'm sorry, would you rather do that kung fu thing Doryu made us do again?"

Tusk next bark is noticeably more aggressive; that's a "No".

"That's what I thought. Now let's get back to it!" Tusk only unleashes a few more "KYEWS", clearly upset while continuing to have a tantrum. Gwen can sympathize- charging into battle headfirst on nothing but a whim is extremely satisfying, but as much as it sucks to admit, it's not gonna work. That's exactly why they lost to Jarmie, and well… really almost every battle he's fought. It's embarrassing that a rare dragon-type has lost this much, just like his fit he's throwing.

Somehow it's seemed his stomps have gotten louder, even gotten the ground to shake a little. She doesn't think he's gained this much weight, especially in the past few seconds. The quaking even causes Tusk to stumble a bit, yet they only continue- clearly he wasn't the cause of it.

Turning around shows what's highly likely to be the source- a stampede of Bouffolant, charging closed towards Gwen and her Pokémon every second. Custard immediately Quick Attacks out of there, but Gwen doesn't seem concerned with that. Instead she looks excited to see a large herd of Pokémon, even if they'd flatten her to a pancake, but she's not the least bit concerned about that. "Woooahhhhh! I'm gonnaAAAAACH!"

From the neck of her flannel, Bead yanks her back with all his strength, which admittedly isn't much against that of a teenage girl planting her feet firmly into the ground. "Bead, let go, I wanna catch one!" It's the same deal with Tusk- he looks excited to try (and fail) at an opportunity to at least hit something with his new move. Bead rolls his eyes- even if he had the strength of twelve Machamp, it'd be futile against this girl.

Instead of wrestling his trainer, he floats out in-front of her to shoot a Psywave at the herd. While it doesn't encompass every Pokémon, it halts the stampede leaders' motion, skidding against the dirt as they recoil from the damage, creating a domino effect for the Bouffolant in the rear who are all toppled over in succession as the bump into one another. Gwen has to admit, it is pretty humorous, but she shouldn't be distracted by that. This is her chance! An empty Pokeball is grabbed from her bag, but when actually presented with the opportunity, a glaring question faces her.

"Wait… Which one do I even catch???" Her index finger and thumb are attached to her chin as she rushes to actually think about her options. Aside from subtle differences in size, how does she even decide which one to catch?

Once the Bouffolant start standing back up again, Gwen braces herself for them to form another stampede- but it doesn't happen. To her surprise, the herd just kind of hangs around once they're all on their feet. It's pretty inviting, and Gwen finds it the perfect time to propose her idea.

"Hey, Bouffolant!" The normal-type Pokémon all look over to the loud girl, rather annoyed. "I wanna catch one of you guys, but only one of you has the honor of traveling with Jennifer Alanis' sister, so show me your best!"

In response, the herd congregates into a circle. Groans, snorts, and hoof scratches are heard from outside it, and occasionally they glare over to the trainer behind them. Gwen tilts her head sideways as she observes, and after a few minutes the Bouffolant all decide to clear a path for one of their own.

But it's not any ol' Bouffolant though- this one stands a few feet taller than his peers, although it's not clear how much this is due to his noticeably larger afro. The scars across his face, and even a corneal scar across his right eye add to his already stern demeanor as he stares down Gwen and her Pokémon, snorting and scraping his hoof against the dirt to signal he's ready.

Tusk appears more than ready to take this fight, but is abruptly stopped by Gwen's ankle that blocks his way. He screams and cries at his trainer, but rather than fight back, Gwen reassures him.

"Wait your turn, Tusk! I have a plan!" He's a little relieved he won't be sitting this fight out entirely and sits out as his trainer says, but can't help but pout just a little.

Gwen, on the other hand, knows she can't just send Tusk in first thing- not in his current state anyways. Other Pokémon his level are on the verge of evolution if they haven't already, he had a long ways before his transformation into Fraxure. He needs to compensate- and what better way is there to do that than whittling opponents down.

"Bead! You're up!" The Misdreavus is taken aback at the announcement, but he floats over to the open area without hesitation anyways. The wild Bouffolant sees this as an invitation to charge straight forward with a Horn Attack, but neither Gwen or Bead are concerned in the slightest, and a "Spite!" is called out. Bead smirks and his eyes flash red right before Bouffolant phases through him. While the normal-type looks around in confusion, Bead growls at him to get him at least a little intimidated.

Bouffolant seems to be at least a little smart. Rather than trying for another Horn Attack, some sort of amber energy surges through his body- Focus Energy, no doubt. Bead growls at him again, and while he winces a second time, he still rushes straight forward, this time with minimal dark-type energy flowing through his horns. Gwen orders Bead to dodge, something he doesn't need to be ordered. When Bead dodges, Bouffolant finds time to flash a cocky smirk- he's discovered a weakness.

Gwen is tempted to order a Confuse Ray, but she knows Tusk will be upset if he has that much of an advantage. "Bead, fall back! Custard, come on!" Custard shivers, but runs out anyways. When Bouffolant charges forward, she immediately activates Double Team, circling the Bash Buffalo Pokémon with her copies, following him even as he skids against the dirt. During this time, Pikachu zaps him head-on, but it seems to do little to his movements, and he quickly shifts his momentum forward. Thundershock seemed to make him angrier, and maybe even more determined- wait, that's Rage, shit. It does explain why he's just running back and forward without actually taking aim at this point, but one hit and Custard will be knocked into next Tuesday.

"Thundershock again!" Maintaining several copies while surrounding this rampaging Pokémon on-top of unleashing electric energy at him is pretty tiring, but Custard hangs in there, even of it doesn't seem to be doing much damage- in fact it's only really made him angrier. Noticing this, Gwen has Custard lay off the attacking and instead has her paralyze him with Thunder Wave, slowing his movements.

"Good job Custard! Get back!" Quick Attack propels her to Gwen's shoulder, and with that, Tusk grins widely as he impatiently stomps forward to take her place.

Spoiler:

Bouffolant is still rushing back and forward, but the static flowing through his body is definitely enough to give more time for Tusk to brace himself. Eyeing the incoming normal-type, he plants his feet on the ground, eager to finally hit something with his new attack, something he shares with his trainer as they both smirk at the sight of Bouffolant pushing himself against his status condition.

"Tusk! Use Iron Tail!"

Right when it seems he's about to be trampled by the feet of an oversized bison Pokémon, Tusk concentrates steel-type energy into his stubby tail which solidifies into a solid coating of iron, and pivots his feet to thwack his tail right into Bouffolant's sturdy legs- and while they are indeed sturdy to carry such a heavy beast, they don't resist iron, as indicated by the loud CLANG noise that causes him to recoil and loudly scream in pain.

"Now! Dual Chop!" Already close to Bouffolant's front legs, Tusk strikes each one with a different claw, further damaging him. After the normal-type screeches some more, dark-type energy is conjured through his hooves with Revenge, and stomps on Tusk with a great deal of force. He should be out with that plus the strength built from Rage, but Tusk hangs on. He hastily takes a few steps back, and launches himself upwards with Iron Tail. When at a face-level, draconic energy charges through his right claw, and slashes a mighty Dragon Claw against his already scarred face.

Bouffolant collapses to his side and Tusk lands to the ground, panting heavily. A well-earned victory.

"You did it Tusk!" Gwen cheers with enough excitement to hop into the air- somewhat to the displeasure of the Pikachu that rests on her shoulder. Now that the battle's been won, she gets ready to toss her Pokeball and-

"BOO!"

A sudden deep cry from the herd makes her flinch. The Bouffolant conglomerate clears a path for another- this one somehow even bigger than the one she just fought, and has even more scars on not just his face, but also his legs and even horns. Comically enough, his afro was even larger, and even has a lot of noticeable gray hairs- apparently Pokémon have that too. Instinctively, Gwen returns to her battle stance, but relaxes her body when further examining the Bouffolant's soft demeanor as a contrast from the one she just took out.

The two of them stare into each other's eyes for a full minute. Gwen can't say what's going on, but it feels as if she's being judged by the massive normal-type, and it even starts to get a bit uncomfortable for her. It doesn't last forever at least- eventually the elder (or at least what she's pretty sure is an elder) rears his head down, almost as if to give the girl permission to capture the fallen one.

"Alright! Finally!" Without any further delay, Gwen uses her wrist to toss a Pokeball at the defeated Bouffolant. There's something cathartic about such a small ball hitting such a big Pokémon and breaking him down into a white light that's sucked in.

One, two, and…

CLICK

"ALRIGHT!!!" Gwen jumps with joy. Tusk releases a victory cry of his own, and Custard shows a little excitement as well, although it's a little disturbed by her resting spot again moving around so much. Bead simply gives a pleased smile at his energetic trainer. "I just caught a Bouffolant! I think I'm gonna name you… Scar! Yeah, that's a cool nickname!"

"BOOOOOOO!" The elder howls to again catch Gwen's attention. When she looks his way, she sees a smirk from the Bash Buffalo Pokémon that's similar to what Scar gave not that long ago- and Gwen can't help but return one of her own.

With that, the elder howls again, this time to get his herd to focus on him. He faces the other way, and the rest of the herd copies as they all walk off into the distance. Even though they're facing the opposite direction she's in, the Unovian trainer still bothers to wave at them as they depart, just barely noticing Scar's Pokeball glowing white and warping away to the company of Professor Palm. With a promising new Pokémon at her side, this gives her all the more motivation to find her way to the Vermilion Pokémon Center to withdraw him.

Gwen's team
    037.png
    610.png
    025.png
    024.png
    200.png
    195.png

Back