• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tulsa, Oklahoma

Years
    @Badsheep I think you watched a Prager University video that claimed that blacks were less likely to be shot than whites (*subject to certain conditions). I'm just going through the video now. Uh yeah, black people are more likely to be involved in violent crime, but I don't think that's enough to say that there is no bias in police violence against black people - the two aren't mutually exclusive, although the woman in the video seems to suggest it is. Obviously, the data points she cites cannot explain the presence or absence of bias when it comes to unarmed black men being shot in non-violent encounters.

I could talk about it more, but I'm doing something else atm. Perhaps if you looked at the video again that would jog your memory a little? I think I was a bit quick to judge you for misreading/mishearing the info you posted earlier.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
    @Badsheep I think you watched a Prager University video that claimed that blacks were less likely to be shot than whites (*subject to certain conditions). I'm just going through the video now. Uh yeah, black people are more likely to be involved in violent crime, but I don't think that's enough to say that there is no bias in police violence against black people - the two aren't mutually exclusive, although the woman in the video seems to suggest it is. Obviously, the data points she cites cannot explain the presence or absence of bias when it comes to unarmed black men being shot in non-violent encounters.

I could talk about it more, but I'm doing something else atm. Perhaps if you looked at the video again that would jog your memory a little? I think I was a bit quick to judge you for misreading/mishearing the info you posted earlier.

Its okay... Im getting ready for party at the moment lol. Anyways, I have only seen a few PragerU videos... I dont particularly like them. I have not watched the one you are referencing.

https://mappingpoliceviolence.org/unarmed/

Okay so cops kill whites at a disproportional rate compared to blacks, but when only looking at times when the victim was UNARMED, blacks are killed disproportionately. Ill wager its the war on drugs and possibly racial profiling.

I think I might have been wrong initially. Do you have anything pointing to racism as the motive?

Years
    Do you have anything pointing to racism as the motive?
    It's kind of hard to prove that racism was the motivator, but when you look at the statistics (or even just compare cases; Tamir Rice is shot dead, but people like Dylan Roof and James Holmes are taken in unharmed) I think it becomes pretty obvious. A lot of [ex] police officers have spoken out about being told to target black (and latino) youth, though.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    It's kind of hard to prove that racism was the motivator, but when you look at the statistics (or even just compare cases; Tamir Rice is shot dead, but people like Dylan Roof and James Holmes are taken in unharmed) I think it becomes pretty obvious. A lot of [ex] police officers have spoken out about being told to target black (and latino) youth, though.

Without deeper investigation and hopefully a court case; we won't know much of the details until it's all been said, done and been settled. It's too early to tell if the case is racism or not.

However the problem has been becoming endemic; or at least it seems that way. Supporters of the BLM movement seem to be singling out cases they think supports their claims and announcing them all over the place. There's also a lot of inherent bias in media and reporting; so there's a lot of furor over a lot of cases where maybe the cop was following procedure.

Unfortunately racism is in fact a two way street.

Back