• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

turn it off and on again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
    I'm trying to figure out why my new laptop that I just bought at the end of March isn't getting the option to upgrade to Windows 10.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Are you fully up to date? There's an update that adds the offer to your computer. Use Windows Update and make sure you have it installed. I'll check the update number you need. What version of Windows are you running? 7 or 8.1?

Edit: It's update KB3035583, and it seems to be the same number for both versions of Windows. Check if it's installed, and if not, update until it is. Then, you'll have a Windows logo in the system tray and you should be able to reserve your copy there.

Bingo.

So I've been crunching the numbers and I've realized that for the price of a fully decked-out Surface 3 (4 GB RAM, 128 GB storage, pen, cover, and screen protector), I could get a reasonably decent gaming rig - the kind that comes with an i5 and a GTX 960 or better.

Decisions are hard.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I'm all about portability, but honestly, a gaming rig would win over a Surface for me in that case.

Why not both?

Though an AMD build is probably going to be sub-optimal, efficiency-wise.

And I still have this laptop, but the allure of a proper desktop to call my own is great.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    This would be my ultimate reasoning as to go with the desktop. Tablets simply cannot compare. While you do axe the portability of a tablet, you more than make up for in power. I'm considering getting a desktop soon, but with my laptop starting to act funny, I may have to get a new laptop first.

Mmm hmm. My laptop isn't the most portable thing, though. But on the other hand, I think I might be able to squeeze a few more months of life out of my tablet, but it is really slow now.

I'm thinking of building a rig that has the same, or similar components, if I were to get a desktop. (That's me on PC Part Picker, by the way.)

Years
    For me, my current laptop is fairly ideal, although the setup I'm using it in right now is not ideal. Reason why? Who would want a laptop being used as a desktop? I'm only using it in such a manner to feel comfortable to myself.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    It's going to cost me at least $900 to build a desktop with the components I want.

I might consider taking out another credit card. I just wanna play PC games dang it. xD

Years
    Sometimes I wish all institutions provided students with laptops and/or tablets, especially so that we wouldn't have to use our own devices for school purposes.

Years
    I'd rather use my own anyway because the ones given by schools probably can't be upgraded or anything.

I hear most school given computers have a lot of rules of what you can install and/or do with them. Which kinda sucks. But meh I am not at that level of education where I need a computer nearly everything.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    It's funny...

I'm actually considering an AMD-based platform this time around, even though the graphics card is still going to be an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 900 series part. Mostly because of the existence of the Athlon X4 860K, which appears to be more than fast enough and cheap enough, especially after factoring in the cost of a non-bare-minimum motherboard and accompanying memory modules.

Now if only all AMD CPUs are good. (The other good one is the A8-7600, but since I'm going with a separate graphics card, it's too expensive for the performance I'd get.)

Personally I find maximizing the amount of graphics card performance is more important for a normal gaming PC, to be honest - I don't really need all the CPU when I'm getting bottlenecked by the graphics card anyway, right? Besides, the Pentium G3258 is aging poorly due to the lack of threads overall for PC gaming, and sometimes, even a sheer IPC and clock speed advantage can't beat additional threads. Going up to the i3 would mean losing the price war, and it's not likely that the CPU is going to operate on full throttle all the time.

Years
    Sorry to derail, but this is exciting. We replaced Comcast with Verizon today, and my download speeds are nearly DOUBLE now, and it's so awesome.
    Excellent decision there for sure! You should note that your upload speed is symmetrical to your download speed as well :)

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    I'm okay with Uverse here, but if I ever get around to getting my own ISP, I would be paying extra rent, which is totally okay because it's just a $15-20 increase anyways.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
    You guys with multiple internet options are lucky. Since I live in the middle of nowhere, I have no choice but Verizon DSL. 3Mbps down...it's terrible. Once I get my own place in the city (hopefully before too long) I'll have access to cable and possibly even FiOS. But until then, I just do any big downloads at work, where we have glorious FiOS, and put them on my external HDD to bring home.

Years
    I have no choice but Verizon DSL. 3Mbps down...it's terrible.
    You probably live closer to a central office than my family does to ours, lol. We live almost outside a 2-mile radius from our central office, and what you're getting is faster than what my family was able to get with Verizon DSL (we could only get 1.5 Mb/s down maximum), and this was back before 2010 (when we got FiOS into our neighborhood).

Years
    So yesterday twitter removed custom backgrounds, and it makes no sense. I'm honestly not happy with such change, but I wonder at the same time if it will eventually be brushed off as soon as people adjust to it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back